• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.: Fox Movement Tricks :. All Mindgames and Flashy Movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Final Destination - I have been trying to master t
CONTRIBUTE...

The purpose of this thread is to make a collection of movement tricks that can be performed by Fox. Since Fox is fast and has an extremely small jump delay compared to other characters, he's the perfect character to 'trick' with. Incorporate these movement tricks into your game and you instantly have a more unpredictable and intimidating Fox. Some of these tricks can also help with edgehogging or setting up comboes. Use them creatively to dominate your opponent. Also notice that there's a new combo section (because people kept submitting comboes, and I didn't want to limit this thread to only movement tricks). If you have a combo or movement trick that you want added to the list, just post it in this thread. Include a name for your trick/combo and try to include a possible use for it. If it's just flashy and has no real use, then that's fine. Looking good is important too. Let's see, hmm. Yes, there's one more thing. A long time ago, when this thread only had a few moves, I made a video in which I performed them. I'm going to be working on a new video soon, but if you want to see the old one, click HERE. It's hosted on YouTube. And one more (last) thing. Before you start reading these tricks, please be sure to note that when I put 'Courtesy of X' it doesn't necessarily mean that X created that trick. I am just crediting X for bringing it up. Okay, begin!

Shorthopping
If you're having trouble with shorthopping, and you've tried all the other methods, try the thumb sliding method. I use it and rarely miss a shorthop. Once you get the hang of this technique, shorthopping is a breeze with EVERY character. For more info, and a little vid, go HERE.

Fox Trotting
A method of running faster than normal. To perform the Fox Trot, simply begin a dash by tapping the control stick in the desired direction once (You should jerk forward), then waiting for a little bit, then immediately dashing forwards again. Keep repeating this (thanks for the correction DDRKirby), you are now Fox Trotting. NOTE: To verify if you are doing this correctly or not, have another Fox run by your side normally as you Fox Trot. Your speed should be slightly faster than his... Also, as Ragnarok91 who plays Ragnarok Online pointed out, another method of Fox Trotting is to dash, and before the inital dash animation gets over, dash-cancel, and then repeat. I don't know much about Fox Trotting so if I'm still incorrect in this information that correct me.

Dash Canceling
This is a classic with Fox, and it's very easy to do. To dash-cancel, simply hold 'down' while you are running. This will cancel your dash and you will come to a complete stop within half a second. A good use for this is to dash towards the opponent, and before you reach them, dash-cancel. Now, they will attempt some sort of attack or shield. Since you've dash-canceled, you can now perform any move from the standing position. Be creative, or you can just forwards smash, which is sure to hit if they're lagging from their previous move.

Dash Dancing
A strange method of movement achieved by continously jamming the control stick left and right. Fox will dash one direction and immediately dash in the other direction. This is useful because you can make it uncertain when you will actually begin dashing towards the opponent. This puts pressure on the opponent to react or to shield.

Wavelanding
If you perform a waveland correctly, you should slide a long distance. The waveland is nothing but a wavedash, if you understand the concept of wavedashing, you should understand how this works. Basically, you are falling, and JUST before you hit the ground, you are air-dodging at a kind of diagonal angle towards the ground. As with wavedashing, you'll get better slowly and will soon be able to waveland with the control stick almost perfectly horizontal. Perfect waveland... Typically, a waveland is good after a short-hop. Also, you can jump through a platform and then waveland on the platform. This is done by simply air dodging horizontal-diagonally at the moment when your character's feet are just above the platform. You slide a considerable distance. Freaks people out!

Waveshielding (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
Wavedashing with shields in the middle. If you're good at wavedashing, then this handy trick is extremely easy to do. If you wavedash with R, then hold down L as you wavedash. If you wavedash with L, then hold down R as you wavedash. Easy, huh? Also, you can waveshield if you wavedash forwards, but hold down the L or R button. You will wavedash, and then shield. Try waveshielding right into someone. If they attempt an attack, it's your lucky day. If they're at a high enough percentage then ... up-smash out of the shield. If not, then shield-grab. Waveshielding works well.

Triangle Jumping (Courtesy of DDRKirby[ISQ])
A delayed version of the wavedash, where you press X, wait a little, and then air dodge diagonally into the ground. Because you wait before air dodging, you become invincible for a while, making this a good move for getting in grab-range or jab-range. Do not use this for a method of movement, like the wavedash, because triangle jumping does not travel near the length of the wavedash. Only use this for invincible movement towards an opponent.

Circle Jumping
A way of juking out your opponent by short-hopping towards him, as if you are going to perform an aerial, but then as you fall, you waveland backwards and watch in amusement as the opponent attacks at the air... If you get this perfect you should slide a long distance. New Edit: DDRKirby(ISQ) pointed out that the circle jump takes place much faster if you fast-fall. So to perform this fast-falled version of circle jumping, it'll take place faster... however, in my opinion, fast-falling the circle jump makes it look more like a normal backwards wavedash. Then again, the fact that you leave the ground could trick the opponent into attacking, so yeah.

Crouch Turning
This is a quick movement which is essentially a dash-cancel followed by a dash dance. To perform it, begin a dash in one direction. After you do this, cancel your dash by crouching, and then immediately begin a dash in the same direction, like a Fox Trot. Now, if you try to dash in the other direction, you will burst in that direction, much to the surprise of the opponent. So, it should like you are dashing and you suddenly begin dashing in the other direction. This is a useful deceptive technique that should be used on opponents who are good at predicting normal movements.

Edge Turning (Courtesy of ZeroFX)
Like crouch turning, this allows you to instantly dash in the other direction. This time, you cancel your dash by using the edge. Dash towards the edge of your choice. Just before you reach the edge, let go of the control stick. Now jam the control stick back the other way and you'll burst out in that direction, because the edge canceled your dash. This is useful when you're enemy is chasing you. They won't expect you to suddenly turn around out of the dash. So just dash towards the edge, edge turn, and surprise them.

Flip Slide
If you dash towards the opponent, then jam the control stick in the opposite direction, it'll look like you are about to turn (Fox will start to turn the opposite way). In the middle of this turn, if you wavedash towards the opponent, it will cancel the turning animation and move Fox towards the opponent facing him. This move looks pretty cool...

Empty Shffl
A variant of Fox trotting, performed by jumping and fast-falling rather than dash-canceling. To do it, you need to start a dash, short-hop, and when at the peak of your hop, fast-fall, then dash again. From here you can repeat the movement. It looks pretty good, and your opponent might suspect that you're going to do a shffled aerial, but you just fast-fall and dash.

Stationary Pulse Walking
Something that looks a lot like dash dancing, but is slightly slower, but as effective. This is achieved by dashing towards the opponent, and immediately wavedashing backwards. Repeat this process and it should look pretty freaky.

Mobile Pulse Walking
The same concept of stationary pulse walking, except you slowly inch towards your opponent. This is achieved by dashing towards, then wavedashing downwards, and then repeating until you feel the need to stop. In fact, if you perform this move in front of a Marth, you might make him perform his high-lag B move, and then you can attack him...

The Jump Stop
As you all know, by jumping, your dash gets cancelled. So naturally, if you jump while holding the opposite direction in which you are dashing, you will become stationary, much like a dash-cancel or a downwards wavedash. To jumpstop, dash towards the opponent --- then at the appropriate distance from him, hold away and short-hop. If you wish to stop there, you may fastfall the short-hop, however, this is not recommended. Instead, take advantage of the fact that you are in the air. The most freakiest thing you can do here is to perform a forward wavefall into a dash to a JC'd grab. Your Fox will look like he is in 2x speed! So, perform the jumpstop, and while in the air falling, press R and hold a diagonal direction towards your opponent. You will wavedash towards him (if you perform it perfectly you will slide a considerable distance), then immediately dash and perform a standing grab (X+R or Up + R), or you can perform a jump-canceled up-smash. Either way works fine. Just make sure to place yourself at a legitimate distance from your opponent. I love this move! Just figured it out today... but I haven't tried it in battle yet. I'm sure it will be cool.

Backlanding
A method to short-hop towards the opponent from a dash and land facing the opposite way. For this, you need to be able to backwards SHL pretty consistently. In this case, you need to dash towards the opponent, short-hop, hold away, and while you are falling, fire a laser and fast-fall. If you did this correctly you should hear the gun come out but no laser will be fired. The reason you don't want the laser to come out is because this is a sign that you are firing the laser too early. If you fire too early, then you WILL turn around, but you'll lag in the air from firing the laser and are open to attack. You should fire right before landing so that the only purpose pressing B serves is to turn you around. So, short-hp towards the opponent, fire laser and fast-fall. You'll land facing the opposite way. From here you can go into a shine, since it has more range now, or you can perform a short-hopped bair or anything you wish. Well, you might find SOME use for it at least. EDIT: You can actually perform this move without the sound of the laser. You just need good timing. It's not really necessary to do it like this but it looks pretty cool. Also, you can use this in place of the shine-turnaround for quick edge hogging. Just backland and make sure you fall near the edge. If you do it correctly, right when you hit the ground, Fox will slide off and hang on the edge. If you don't hit right at the edge, then just wavedash back immediately. Both strategies work well. Watch my Fox Movement Tricks video. It's old, but in the backlanding section I do a quick edge hog.

Shine Jump Fake (Courtesy of Shade)
This is a method by which you fastfall and shine just before reaching the opponent, followed by an immediate jump. Either they will have attempted an aerial attack to protect themselves (in which case you can perform a drillshine, because of their lag), or they would have shielded. I find that this is pretty useful for forcing the opponent to act, although it puts you in a position of peril for about a second (you might get hit by the opponent's upwards B or up-smash if you don't time your shine right). According to Shade, this can be performed after a drillshine. I think that after you drillshine you should wavedash toward the opponent and then short-hop (as if to perform an aerial) but instead do the Shine Jump Fake. Thanks for the contribution shade!

Sprint Sliding (Courtesy of DDRKirby[ISQ])
This is simply a combination of dashing forwards and immediately canceling your dash with a forward wavedash, and repeating. This, like foxtrotting, results in a movement slightly faster than Fox's dash if you do it right. Even if you are not performing this at the correct speed, it still looks pretty weird method of movement and acts as a mindgame.

Zurfdashing (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
Zurfdashing is a version of the wavedash that goes slightly farther than Fox's normal wavedash range. To perform this movement, simply dash forwards and before your initial dash animation ends, wavedash in the same direction you are facing. What this does is it gives you an extended wavedash that can be used when you are close to the opponent. The advantages of this are that, unlike a dash from this distance, you can perform any standing move with no delay from the dash-canceling, because you're not dashing. You can perform a standing grab, side-smash, up-smash, down-smash, and whatever else you like. You can even fire a laser, also this might not be too useful... This is useful when you are JUST far enough from the opponent that wavedashing towards him will not reach. And dashing towards him will not allow you to use any standing moves. Zurfdash, it'll solve the problem...

SI: Short Fox Illusion (Courtesy of Ozmosis107 )
I've seen many threads on the forums that ask how to perform this move. I'm glad Ozmosis107 brought this up because it actually is pretty tricky. To perform this shortened version of the illusion (Side + B) attack, you simply need to press B at the correct time after you have already pressed Side+B. It's hard to control your position well with this, but I suggest you start by pressing B just a split second after you press Side+B. This will cancel your illusion. This move is actually a very dangerous move if you use it too many times in a match. By too many times I mean more than 2 or 3 times. Why? Because of the lag of this attack. You'll lag so much after this attack that if the opponent did not shield or jump away, he'll be able to immediately attack you. You'll be left wide open for an attack. So only use this in cases where you are on the edge (you can ledge tech if he doesn't fall for it and tries to attack) or when you don't have that much damage and just want to play with the opponent.

Ledge Wavedash (Version 1)
The fastest method of getting up from the ledge (but not necessarily the safest). If you understand how the wavedash works (air-dodging at a slight downwards angle towards the ground), you'll easily understand the ledge wavedash, which takes a lot of practice to master, in fact, not a lot of people even use this in battle because they are afraid of SD'ing off the edge! However, it is a trick that has tons of uses, so it will be explained here in moderate detail. One of the techniques goes like this (please feel free to submit your own as well) To start, go ahead and hang on the LEFT ledge. Now, that wasn't the hard part. This is: Press 'left' on the control stick and then press X. The motion should be as if you are pressing Left+X. Like a left-smash, except replace A with X. Now, immediately, and I mean immediately, press Right-Down + R. This will make you do a wavedash onto the stage. By Right-Down I don't mean right then down, I mean a direction between right and down. This direction will become more and more horizontal as you get closer to mastering the technique. (NOTE: If you are reading this trick list but you play with another character, the description given here about the ledge wavedash may not apply perfectly to your character. The jump delays and fall rates are all different...)

Ledge Wavedash (Version 2 & 3)
In order to perform Version 2 of the ledge wavedash, instead of letting go of the ledge, as you did in V1, you need to fast-fall from the ledge and immediately jump. Then, at the correct moment, you need to air-dodge at a more or less horizontal angle towards the platform. This version is harder for some, easier for others... A good way to perform this is to find the angle of the control stick where if you press it, you'll fall off the ledge, but if you press R, you'll dodge diagonally downwards. Once you find this angle, with Fox, it gets pretty easy to ledge wavedash. Just hold down this angle on the control stick, while you press X+R. Version 3 is the shine version. I give credit to Ozmosis107 for pointing this out, although the move he submitted wasn't much of a movement trick. It was more like a combo, which is why I didn't include it in my list. I will, however, explain it in this move's description. To do the shine version, you need to press Down + B while hanging on the ledge and then you need to jump at any moment. When your feet are lined up with the bottom of the platform you were hanging from, just air dodge like you normally do in a wavedash (close to horizontal, yet slightly tilted). This particular version of the wavedash is easier for most people to perform because you have more leeway when timing your jump (the shine stops all momentum). Now, to get to Ozmosis107's move, the Double Edge Shine (DES): When your opponent is near to the ledge, perform V3 (the shine version) of the ledge wavedash. This will shine your opponent as well as put you back onto the stage. From here you can continue to waveshine, or go into an up-smash. Really difficult move though! Practice! EDIT: Some new tips - While hanging on the ledge perform a shine. Try wavedashing as you would normally out of the shine (as if you were waveshining an opponent). Make sure to wavedash TOWARDS the stage out of the shine. If you succeeded, then ... hurray, you can perform V3 almost perfectly. If you failed, then you just have to adjust the timing of the button presses. Go select Falco and try wavedashing with him. After you are consistent at wavedashing with Falco, go back and hang on a ledge with Fox. Now, first perform a shine, and then perform a Falco wavedash towards the stage. Since Falco's wavedash requires more delay between the time you press the jump button and the time you air dodge, Fox's ledge wavedash will now be a breeze. It worked for me, see if it worked for you!

Reverse Ledge Wavedash
A ledge wavedash where Fox is looking the other way. This is performed by hanging on a ledge, shining, turning around in the shine, then ledge wavedashing. If you can't do a normal shine ledge wavedash perfectly, then don't attempt this yet. It's a difficult move, and it's mostly for style. Sure, it could be used to bair the opponent maybe but ... why not just "Ledgehop Shine Bair", it's much easier. The move has been described somewhere underneath this one. Look for it.

Walljump Recovery (Courtesy of DDRKirby[ISQ])
To perform this ledge-to-platform recovery, you need to first learn how to do a walljump off the ledge. There are many ways to do this, however, in this case, the best way would be to drop from the ledge, double jump towards the wall, then smash away. This might take some practice initially, but if you get in the habit of doing this in battles, you'll learn it in no time. The hand will just have to perform one motion with the control stick each time. I do it with the control stick, but you can do it any way you like. Even using 'x' or 'y'. Anyway, if you can walljump consistently, just do this. Begin by performing a ledge walljump any way you like. Now, when you are kind of even with the ledge, you need to either 'air-dodge' back onto the platform (you can also try to achieve some version of the wavedash if you are accurate) or illusion. With the air dodge you are safe, and with the illusion chances are you'll be unsafe, but if you get it to hit the opponent, you're okay. This is a cool-looking unorthodox recovery and if you do it right it can be advantageous. But don't overdo it. If you walljump-illusion recover too much the opponent will shield grab, or shield and hit you after you lag... so be careful. OR you can just use this for looking awesome when you recover...

Short Illusion Fake-Out (Courtesy of Abuani)
If you've used enough walljump recoveries, the opponent will think that everytime you walljump from the ledge you're going to jump back onto the stage. Of course, a simple fake-out would be to walljump then illusion or firefox to sweetspot the edge, but here's something better. Make the fake-out even more convincing. Walljump off the ledge, then while you are still above the edge, perform a short illusion towards the stage. After you finish the illusion, fastfall to grab the edge again. The opponent would have expected you to illusion back onto the stage and would have done something, but no ... you land right back on the ledge. It's a nice move.

Shine Turn-Around
This method makes use of the shine to produce a technique where you almost immediately begin to wavedash backwards from a dash. This is useful for quick edge-hogging, as explained by noob-lube in his list of Fox tricks in this thread. To perform this trick, start a dash. When in the middle of the dash, press down to cancel your dash, roll the control stick from the downwards position to a diagonal backwards position as you press B to shine. If you did this correctly you should have shined right out of a dash and ended up facing the opposite way. If you got this result, yay! You did the shine turn-around. However, to make full use of this technique, you need to wavedash immediately after you shine. So, perform the same thing again, except this time wavedash backwards after you shine. After you wavedash, you can perform a backwards short-hopped aerial, the Bair if you are playing as Fox. Also, if you are near the ledge, you can allow yourself to fall and grab the ledge for a quick edge hog.

Doraki's Instant Wall Jump (Courtesy of Flarefox)
You can actually wall jump off the ledge by JUST pressing away, that's all. And guess what? You're double jump is preserved, meaning you can ledge wall jump and then jump afterwards. How, you ask? How is this possible. Well, Doraki created a little guide on how to do this. You can find this guide at the following address: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=57759

Double Ledge Wall Jump (Courtesy of noob-lube69)
Although this doesn't have much use, it looks pretty cool. And that's the second reason I posted this thread. For moves that look tight. And this looks neat. This method involves walljumping using Doraki's Instant Wall Jump method (above). Once you 'activate' the wall jump, you can ledge wall jump and then double jump back towards the ledge and do a normal wall jump. I described how to do a normal wall jump in the description of the Walljump Recovery which is about two more moves above this one... This may take some practice, but once you master it, it serves as a mindgame (like Who is this Guy? type of mindgame, people get scared).

Infinite FireFox Stall (Requested by many people)
This is a stall performed on the edge that, if executed consistently, can keep you invincible for a very long time; it's also good for edge hogging. To do this, there are many variations. I'll go ahead and briefly describe 2 of them. The first is the most basic version. What you need to do is start by hanging on the ledge. Once you've done this, simply hold 'away from the ledge', which should let go of the ledge, then do Up + B. If you did this fast enough, you'll see some fire and flames go everywhere, and you'll hear the sound, but within half a second you'll be hanging on the ledge again, with your invincibility reset. Another way to perform this maneaver is to find the angle on the control stick so that when you press B while holding that angle, you firefox, but that angle also makes you let go of the ledge. That's how I do it. Anyway, if you immediately do this again, you'll be invincible while performing this as well as when you grab the ledge again. Therefore, by repeating, you can stay invincible for an indefinite period of time, although realistically I don't think you can keep up 100% invincibility for too long of a time... Also, you can perform a variation of this stall, known as the Infinite Lube Stall. To perform this, you need to press Down + B when hanging on the edge. Immediately after this you need to begin charging your Firefox by pressing Up + B. If you did this correctly, it should have a similar effect to that of the normal infinite Firefox stall. With this particular stall, you can get the opponent caught in the fire, AND shine-spiked. It's cool!

Illusion Ledgestalling (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
This is another stall used to stay invincible on the ledge. To perform it, you need to let go of the ledge first. There are many ways to let go of the ledge; krazyzyko recommends using the C-stick. Press AWAY on the C-stick. By away, I mean, away from the ledge. Do this, and almost simultaneously, press Side + B towards the edge. If you did this correctly, you'll grab the ledge again, gaining more invincbility frames. You can use this when you get bored of the firefox stall.

Ledgehop Wavelanding (Courtesy of JFox)
Ledgehop wavelanding is basically ... doing a ledgehop and then wavelanding. To waveland, you need to hold the control stick slightly downwards in the desired direction as you press R to air dodge. Look at the description of circle jumping at the top, which is just shorthop wavelanding. Anyway, JFox has given names for two types of ledgehop wavelandings. The first one is Ledgehop Wavebacking, which is where you ledgehop onto the stage, but waveland backwards BACK onto the ledge. This will trick the opponent into attacking, and you can use also use the invincibility frames from the ledge to attack safely. Next, you can do a Ledgehop Accelerator, where you ledge hop onto the stage, but waveland forwards, TOWARDS the opponent! The opponent will be surprised by the unexpected burst of speed and might not have enough time to react to this. I've used this in battle quite a bit. I think both these versions of ledgehop wavelanding are great techniques.

Fakeout Ledgehop (Courtesy of JFox)
In this movement trick, you simply act as if you are about to hop back onto the ledge, but instead ... you fastfall right back to the hanging position. If you do this in the correct situtation, your opponent would have lunged forward at you, expecting you to land on the stage, but since you fastfall back down onto the ledge, you regain your invincibility, and are now able to attack your opponent instead! This has two uses. One as a mindgame, and the second as a re-invincibilitizer (is that a word?)... Cool tactic, but you'll have to be careful of not fastfalling PAST the ledge. Remember that to fastfall, you simply have to tap 'down' on the control stick while you are falling. Do not hold down, as this will cause you to fall right through the edge, and you'll be forced to double-jump and recover back onto the stage. Your opponent can edge guard you if you get into this situation, so be careful. Use this trick wisely. Thanks for both these ledgehopping contributions JFox!

Ledgehop Shine Bair
(Courtesy of JFox)
With Fox, ledge-hopped fairs, nairs, and dairs are a common sight, but we rarely see any ledge-hopped bairs. The bair has more reach than the nair, so why not use IT while coming up from the ledge instead of a comparatively risky nair? To perform a 'Ledgehop Shine Bair', as JFox named it, you need to drop from the ledge into a shine. You need to be sure that this shine occurs RIGHT when you drop, because going too far beneath the ledge won't be effective; the bair won't last very long above the level surface. So, as soon as you shine, hit the control stick in a direction that lies in between 'Up' and 'Away From Stage', so that you get turned around in preperation for a bair. After this, jump-cancel the shine. After you jump, hold the control stick so that you move towards the stage and use the C-Stick to bair. For example, if you are hanging on the left ledge of Final Destination, you would drop, shine, turn left in the shine, jump out, and bair while moving right, then fastfall (optional) and l-cancel. Also, as JFox put it, the tricky part of this move is the turn-around and jump-cancel. You have to do it pretty fast. "What I do is I use the control stick to jump cancel the shine. You hit down for the Down b, then immediately go up to jump cancel with the control stick. WHILE on the way to the upward position with the control stick, slide away from the ledge causing fox to turn around." - JFox. This move can be used as an attack when the opponent is JUST out of reach of a nair, or it can be used as a flashy way of getting up. Especially if the bair is fast-falled and l-canceled.

Flareshine
(Courtesy of McCloud)
To put it simply, a flareshine is a firefox out of a shine. This is done by pressing Up + B while you are shining. A good way to use this move in battle is to dash towards an opponent, and shine a little bit before you reach them. Hopefully, they will assume that you missed your shine, but before they can whip out their attack, they get caught in the firefox's flames. This might work good against shield-grabbers, but I haven't tried it in battle too much so I wouldn't know.

Shield-Slide (Courtesy of RSIA)
While dashing, if you shield or sidestep, you will slide a small distance before coming to a stop. You could shield-slide into an opponent's attack (unless it has a high chance of bypassing your shield, in which case you can sidestep dodge), and when the attack finishes, you could punish their lag with an up-smash, grab, or aerial out of the shield (the aerial out of a shield is performed by shorthopping and then doing the aerial - you should shffl it). The basic principle you should take note of here is the 'sliding while shielding or sidestepping'. Because of the lag of the opponent's attack, you shouldn't have to worry about the lag of your shield or sidestep dodge. Just slide through the opponent's attack.

Reverse Attack (Courtesy of RSIA)
This tactic actually works if used 4 or 5 times during a match (or if the opponent is dumb, you could use it more often). Let's say that you dash towards an opponent and wavedash back before reaching him (a classic fake). Assuming the opponent attacked and is lagging, you already have an opening, but just to be sure, you can incorporate the reverse attack strategy. When the opponent is lagging, instead of directly attacking him, dash THROUGH him, and when you pass him, dash-cancel (hold down), and then immediately smash or use another standing move in the direction of the opponent. The opponent would have probably attacked or grabbed in the direction in FRONT of him. This is why reverse attacking is useful. If you had wavedashed back too far during the fake or messed up your timing, there was a chance that you would have been a victim of the attack the opponent used. But since you ran right through the opponent instead of taking the time to attack, you created another BETTER opening.

Firefox Ledge Grab (Courtesy of JFox)
The firefox is a strange move. You can interrupt the firefox by passing near the ledge when coming from above (sweetspotting). Sweetspotting is usually performed when Fox is on the left side of the left ledge, or the right side of the right ledge. It's rarely done from ON the stage to the ledge. But it's possible. This could serve as a mindgame, it makes you look skilled (or extremely lucky). Basically, you can grab the ledge using a firefox from any direction above the ledge, as long as you end up close enough towards the edge and aren't holding down or away. Go to Final Destination and position yourself in the center of the stage. Move a little bit towards the right ledge and stop. Press Up + B, and firefox straight to the right, and let go of all buttons and the control stick (to be safe). If you did it correctly, Fox would have grabbed the right ledge. When firefoxing straight to the right or left, the interrupting principle doesn't apply, so you have to position yourself a firefox distance from the ledge. Get back up on Final Destination, and stand in the center. As usual, move a bit towards the right ledge. This time, instead of firefoxing directly, jump up into the air. At the peak of your jump, start your firefox, and aim towards the right ledge. When the firefox occurs, let go of all buttons and watch Fox fly diagonally towards the ledge. If you did it right, he should grab it (interrupting principle applies). Another combination that looks freaky is jumping straight above the ledge and firefoxing straight down to grab it. The hardest is to stand close to the ledge, jump all the way up, and then do the Firefox Ledge Grab. It's hard because the control stick has to be tilted only very slightly. You do it too much and you'll miss the ledge. Anyway, try edgehogging someone with this technique.

Firedash (Courtesy of Hylian)
A risky (without much practice) but flashy way of grabbing the ledge. When you are on the stage, jump so that you are above the ground. Don't double jump or you'll go too high for the move. Just jump once and then start charging your firefox. That wasn't the hard part. Now, aim your firefox into the ground so that you will hit somewhere near the ledge, but not too near. If you do it right, Fox will bounce off the ground and then land in a wavedash-like animation, in which he will slide off the edge. So then how do you grab the edge? Well, if you press the opposite control stick direction WHILE you are in this slide animation, Fox will turn around and you'll slip off and grab the ledge. So the steps for this move are: Shorthop or Full Jump, Firefox Into the Ground Near the Ledge, Hold Away From the Ledge. Firedashing is awesome!

FireSaucer
Falco and Fox both have a trick called the FireSaucer, as named by Fluffy-Sama (I think). When you do a grounded Firefox, as in, you firefox without leaving the ground and move along the ground, something special happens. You stay stuck to the ground, no matter what kind of curves come in the way, down or up, you stick to the ground while in your firefox. Now, the cool thing is - if you come into the air while you're performing a grounded firefox (the platform that you're firefoxing on ends), your firefox will still be the same angle as it was when you left the platform. Huh? Okay, the best way for you to see this move is to do it yourself. Go to Fourside and wait for the ... the UFO thing. The saucer. If it's on the left side of the screen, jump onto its left side. If its on the right, jump onto its right side. Don't stand in the middle. Okay, now do an Up+B and make sure you don't jump. Aim it directly opposite the side of the screen you're on. If you're on the left side, aim the firefox right. If you're on the right, aim it left. If you did it right, you'll travel along the curves of the LFO and exit it at a downwards angle. Fox will soar through the sky at that angle with no evidence of gravity. Looks really cool! Try it.

LH3L (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
The ledge-hop triple laser may seem like a difficult move to pull off, but there's a way to do it that barely takes any practice, and it'll look the same. I'll explain what I mean in a minute. First, let's discuss the common methods, I'll call them the 'hard ways', because you have to move your fingers pretty fast. While hanging on the ledge, move the control stick away, press X, then repeatedly press B while moving yourself towards the stage with the control stick. Another hard way is to hang on the ledge, tap away with the control stick, then up with the control stick, then press B repeatedly while moving yourself towards the stage with the control stick. Only people with extremely fast fingers can perform the LH3L consistently with those methods. Here's some easier methods. While hanging on the ledge, tap away with the C-Stick, and immediately press 'up' on the control stick. Practice this motion a bit, so you get the hang of the ledge hop. As soon as you ledge hop, repeatedly press B to shoot 3 lasers. Use the control stick to move towards the stage while you shoot. This method is easy because you alternate between the left hand and right hand, instead of doing multiple motions with one hand only. The method I use doesn't require the C-Stick, because I practiced this technique in training mode (I shouldn't have). While hanging on the ledge, position your right hand so that your index finger is on the B button and your ring is on the X button. Now, press away on the control stick, X with your ring finger, then away on the control stick, and B repeatedly with your index finger. It seems hard, but it's an easy motion. It's like a mini dash dance with the control stick, followed by immediate laser fire. And as long as you've pressed B a few times, you can reposition your hands on the controller, and the lasers will fire automatically. Use whatever method suits you best. I have a feeling most will go with the C-Stick, but I thought it'd be worth mentioning my technique here as well, just in case.

LLRG (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
If you can pull off LH3L, then the ledge laser re-grab won't be too much of a problem. Simply jump off the ledge, fire ONE laser, then control Fox so he falls near the edge again. If you've fired the laser fast enough, Fox should grab the edge again, and you've just performed a difficult trick.

Platform Slipping (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
I've seen this done in many matches, so I don't know if there already IS an established name for this. Germ calls it something in his 'Linkology' video, but I forgot what. Anyway, 'platform slipping' can start by hanging on the ledge. I've seen it used by players when they just recovered and barely got the ledge. You need to ledgehop using your favorite method, then as you fall onto the stage, waveland backwards. Before you grab the ledge again, jump back up towards the stage and repeat. If you're good, you can add fast-falls to make the technique more effective. It serves as a sort of taunt to bring the opponent near the edge of the stage. And if you decide the opponent's getting too close, you can always let yourself waveland backwards onto the edge for invincibility. Then ledgehop and shffl an aerial into the opponent. Good movement trick.

Shiny Illusion (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
This might look good by itself, but it's actually useful for comboing when the opponent is at a certain percentage so that the illusion knocks them up just enough for Fox to up-smash or up-tilt. To perform this move, shine, then jump out of the shine. Before you leave the ground (you have to be fast), perform an illusion. Looked cool, but now let's put it into action. Shine an opponent, jump out, then illusion TOWARDS the opponent. If you did it right, the opponent will be stunned above you and you can u-smash or u-tilt and start some combos.

Double Shine (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
A double shine is nothing but a shine, jump, shine. It's easy to shine an opponent twice, if you change the position of your fingers on the controller. Position your fingers so that your index is on B, and your ring is on X or Y. Alternate quickly between B and X so that you shine quickly. To shine an opponent twice, dash towards him, then B,X,B. Also, if you shine at the correct moment, you can do triple shines, or 64 shines, or 128 if you're extremely good. Simply shine, jump, then before you leave the ground, shine again, and repeat. Looks kind of intimidating when you sit in one spot and do 6 or 7 shines in the matter of a few seconds.

Chillin Dash (Courtesy of krazyzyko)
A glitch that looks cool and could be useful in certain situations. Dash to the ledge, and as soon as you are about to fall off the stage, perform a shine turn-around. If you did it correctly, you will fly off the stage horizontally and cover a wide distance. If you get lucky, sometimes the shine will not appear over Fox, but he'll still have a blue glow around him, which looks amazing.

Shffl Dash
This is basically what pros do quite a bit. Intimidate the opponent. Shfll a random aerial of your choice, dash forward, shffl another aerial, dash forward, and repeat all across the course. Be sure to put in dash dances, u-airs, and shorthopped fastfalled lasers and shorthopped fastfalled reverse lasers. What this looks like is a blur of chaos - something you don't want to attack. You're firing lasers, drillkicking, turning around in the middle (from reverse lasers), and just being hyper. Freaky looking! The reaction I get from most opponents is attacking from above. If they try attacking from above, do this: In the Shffl Dash there are going to be many l-cancels. When the time is right, instead of continuing the shffl dashing, just hold L down when you l-cancel (or whatever button you use to l-cancel). This will make you shield. When they attack from above, there's nothing that can penetrate your shield, so when they land on you, you can jump-cancel up-smash out of the shield or shield-grab or anything. Another note, if you're shffl dashing against a more experienced opponent, he'll know that what you're doing is all random and he'll take any opening, whether on the ground, or in the air. So, don't overuse. It DOES warm up your fingers but sometimes it doesn't work. Maybe you could put it in when the opponent is at a high percentage or something. I don't know, but it looks freaky. I'm probably going to be making a new video soon to include all these moves. I'll be sure to show you some serious Shfll Dashing.

Double Walljump
I went to Doraki's little directory of short smash videos, and I downloaded one video called 'Double Walljump'. In this video, Doraki walljumps twice while against the same wall on Corneria. I went on Corneria and experimented and came up with a 'possible' method, but this method rids you of your double jump. I don't know if Doraki preserved his double jump or not. Anyway, to perform it, try going to Corneria and standing on the lowest part of the stage. On your left, the wall is sloped. Jump towards the wall, walljump, then IMMEDIATELY jump towards the wall again, and perform another walljump. If you did this correctly, it will look nice! If you do it fast enough, it'll look like an animation glitch. Maybe not very useful, but looks cool.

Reverse Walljump
Once again, I was exploring Doraki's database of videos and came across one entitled "Reverse Walljump". Unlike with the Double Walljump, this time I'm sure of how it's done, so let me describe this move to you. First of all, what is a reverse walljump? Think of a normal walljump. You kick off the wall, and jump AWAY from the wall, right? Well, with a reverse walljump, you kick off the wall, but jump TOWARDS the same wall! It doesn't make any sense, but that's what makes this move so cool. Here's how you perform it. First, go to Fox's target test stage and jump up to the place where you see Target Number 5.

To initiate the reverse walljump, walk to the left wall so you are up against it, facing it. Keep holding the control stick left. While you hold the control stick left, press the X button to jump. Fox should jump along the wall and land where he started the jump. Now you are ready to reverse walljump. Without jumping, move Fox so that he is up against the right wall, facing it. Now, press X to jump. While Fox is sliding up the wall, tap 'Right' on the control stick at anytime to reverse walljump. It's best if you press it when Fox is close to top of the wall, so when you walljump, Fox can move forward instead of getting blocked by the wall. There, you performed it! So in brief, to do a reverse walljump, jump along one wall, then, without jumping, move to an opposite wall, jump against it, and move towards that wall. You will walljump. The only course I can think of where you can actually do this is Onett. Go down to the part of the course where cars can hit you. Shorthop against the right wall. Then, move towards the left wall. Shorthop against it, and reverse walljump. Because the wall blocks Fox, you will still be sliding against the wall, so to look cool, you can perform a normal walljump right after the reverse. Hope you understood my description. Feel free to post any questions you have in this thread.

Isai Dropping
Usually when you land on a platform, there is a lag period in which you cannot drop through the platform. So if you are underneath a platform and you jump up through it and land on it, you won't be able to drop back underneath it until the lag is over. Isai Dropping is when you reduce this lag. If you land on the platform and then roll your control stick from a sideways direction to straight down, you will drop through the platform with much less of a lag. So you jump, land, and after you land, press right+down or left+down on the control stick to Isai Drop. This can be used as a fake-out. When the opponent sees you land on the platform he might come after you, but you drop through the platform. Now, while the opponent is lagging, you can uair him or do whatever you want. Another way to reduce the lag is by wavelanding onto the platform. To use it as a substitute for normal Isai Dropping, jump up above the platform. When you fall so that you are just an inch or two away from the platform, air dodge straight down, and then tap down again to fall through. Both are good ways of eliminating the landing lag.

Shield Dropping
Who knows if there is a name for this. Zyko suggested 'Shield Dropping' in another thread, so I decided to use it. Shield Dropping is when you drop through a platform while in the light shield (holding L or R lightly). The shield doesn't remain while you are in the air, but you can be shielding on a platform and then suddendly drop down through the platform and continue the shield when you land. To perform this move, hop onto a nearby platform and then press L or R lightly. The shield isn't very dense, so be alert for strong attacks or grabs. Now, tap down on the control stick once. Don't tap it too hard or you'll spot dodge. Don't tap it too lightly, or you won't fall through the platform. Tap it just enough so that you fall through the platform. Continue holding L or R if you want be shielding when you land. Make sure that the shield isn't too concentrated, or you won't be able to drop. You can only drop from a light shield.

Platform Wrapping
This looks weird if you do it fast enough. To platform wrap, you need to start by standing on a platform. When you're ready to begin, drop through the platform. When Fox's neck is in line with the platform, jump! As soon as Fox is above the platform again, air dodge straight down. Since you have wavelanded onto the platform, the landing lag is shortened, so tap down again and repeat. If you repeat it fast enough, it looks like you disappear from beneath the platform and appear back on it, because Fox jumps so fast. It might not look the same with Falco. You can use this to trick an opponent when he's beneath you. Perform a platform wrap. When the opponent saw half of Fox fall through the platform he may have used an attack. But before his attack is over, you're back on the platform again. While he's lagging from the attack, you can drop down through the platform and attack.

Noob Lube's Miniature Fox Trick List
Noob Lube posted a list of tricks which utilize many of the moves described here. I think that instead of posting them all in this first post, I'll just tell you where to go: Page 2; just scroll down to the bottom of this page and click "Next Page". Scroll down until you see the first post by Noob Lube. Some of the tricks in his post have already mentioned under different names, but take a look at it anyway, if you like.

END TRICK SECTION...

Well, those are some of the movement tricks that can be used with Fox to scare the opponent or make them attack the air, which is obviously really annoying for him. Mix the tricks up, and you have an unstoppable Fox. Now for the combo section.

Thunders' Combo (Courtesy of Silent Wolf)
This combo will only work on characters who fall from Fox's shine. It will work on Falco, for example. The combo begins with a shine on the opponent. The opponent won't slide, but he will tumble away from you. Perform a perfect wavedash out of the shine as fast as possible towards the opponent. When you reach the stunned opponent, you should jab. The jab will force the opponent to return to a standing position. If the opponent had been allowed to stay on the ground, he would have been able to do a standing attack, or roll out of the way. By forcing him to stand up with a jab, you can continue comboing. After the jab, you should perform a shffled up-aerial on the opponent. Most people would use the C-Stick to do a shffled uair. It's easier. Anyway, after the opponent gets knocked up, perform an up-smash. You've just finished the main part of the combo, but you can continue by dashing to the falling opponent and performing a Standing Grab (JC Grab). From here you can up-throw to uair or do whatever you want. I don't know too much about the combo, but Silent Wolf does. Click HERE for his thread on this combo. Watching the video could help you understand it better as well.

Nair Comboing
When the opponent is at around 40 to 50 damage you can start nair comboing. Basically, execute a shffled nair into the opponent, dash to catch up with the falling opponent, and perform the shffled nair once again. When you think that another nair will knock him out of your reach, perform a running up-smash instead (up-smash by jump-canceling the dash). Make sure you don't allow the opponent to touch the ground while in the combo, because if they tech, it's all over.

Nairtail Combo
It only consists of three moves, but I saw this used in a match once and thought it was pretty cool, so I decided to share it here. To perform this little combo, start by performing a shffled nair on the opponent. As soon as you land, do your down tilt. The opponent will be knocked up into the air and you can now do a uair on him and try juggling him from there. Note that this only works when the opponent is at a certain low percentage so that the knockback of the nair sends them away from you, but they are still within reach of your down tilt when you land.

Waveshine Infinite
I think this is Fox's best infinite combo because it's easy to perform, it's effective, and it can be used to knock an opponent off the edge. This combo is easiest to use on opponent's who don't slide very far from the shine. Beginners can start with Peach or Link. Anyway, this combo begins with the shine, and ends when you want it to. Shine the opponent, immediately wavedash towards the opponent, shine the opponent, immediately wavedash towards the opponent ... repeat this until the opponent gets close to the edge. When the opponent is close to the edge, wavedash a little bit past him (you might have to walk a bit after the wavedash) so that the shine will push him back the other way. Shine the opponent now, and then wavedash backwards and continue the combo the other way. Repeat this until you rack up the desired damage. It's more practical to just use this combo to get the opponent off the edge. It's what most people do. Once the opponent is off the edge, you can shine spike. Annoyances? You sometimes jump out of the shine instead of wavedashing? Well, this is a common problem with waveshining and it doesn't have anything to do with the shine. It occurs simply because you become excited and press the buttons too fast. Remember that to wavedash with Fox, you have to wait 4 frames to let Fox leave the ground before you air dodge. If you try to air dodge while you're still on the ground, the air dodge won't happen but Fox will jump into the air. Think - shine, wavedash, shine, wavedash - and you should be fine. Other problems? You can't wavedash far enough? Practice wavedashing with the control stick almost completely horizontal. You need to be able to do a perfect wavedash for perfect waveshining. Anything else? You can't waveshine Luigi? Well, that's too bad. Anyway, if there are any other common problems associated with waveshining that I didn't address, please bring them up.

Left-Right (Cruel) Waveshining
If you can wavedash far enough and fast enough, this combo is possible on Peach, Link, and Zelda. Just shine the opponent once, wavedash to the right side of the opponent, shine, wavedash to the left side of the opponent, shine, and repeat. The opponent will be sliding back and forth with no hope of getting out. This goes along with the normal waveshine infinite because you can use this one, then use a little bit of that one, etc.

Wallshine Infinite
If you've got the opponent into a wall, you can perform this easy infinite. Shine the opponent, wavedash down, shine the opponent, wavedash, and repeat. When the time is right, shine the opponent, and then do a jump-canceled up-smash for the KO. This infinite works on characters that do not fall from the shine. You have to be fast though. Just hold down and press B, then press the wavedashing button combination with your right hand, and repeat. Another version of this infinite involves jump-canceling the shine, shining again before you leave the ground and repeating, but it's very difficult. To perform it, try shining the opponent and then sliding your thumb from Y to B quickly. It's a quick snapping motion with your thumb. You can even press A accidentally and it won't do anything if you're still on the ground and you shine.

Drillshine Infinite
Any opponent that can be waveshined can be drillshined. The drillshine infinite sends the opponent the same distance, but each repetition deals a lot more damage. So the drillshine is a better substitute for the waveshine combo? Well, it depends. Even after the learning the drillshine combo, getting it consistent is going to take some work. Your best bet is to do a few drillshines and then go into a waveshine combo. But if you can keep up the drillshine infinite, hey, that's the best. To do this infinite, perform a shffled dair on the opponent, and immediately follow up with a shine. Wavedash to catch up to the opponent and repeat. Like the waveshine infinite, you may need to take a few steps after the wavedash to catch up to some opponents (Marth, for example). If you can't do the waveshine combo, you shouldn't try the drillshine yet. Okay, any problems? You can't get the counter to go up past 10 in training mode while attempting this combo? Same problem I had. You just need to make sure that ONE, every hit of your drill is hitting the opponent, TWO, you are shining as soon as you hit the ground, THREE, you are wavedashing right after you shine, and FOUR, you perform close to perfect wavedashes. Yes, it's hard, but you'll get it soon don't worry.

Wall Drillshine Comboing
If you can get your opponent into a wall, drillshining becomes much easier. Simply perform a drillshine, then wavedash downwards, and do another drillshine. You have to be fast though. Since you're against a wall, and the opponent doesn't move anywhere, you can also perform this combo by shorthopping out of the shine and then performing the drillshine. It takes a lot of practice. NOTE: I called this an infinite before but, this isn't an infinite, sorry. Opponents can smash DI and escape from your drillkick. Thanks to Silent Wolf for the correction.

Champ Combo (Courtesy of Silent Wolf)
This little combo was invented by someone, but Champ named it the Champ Combo as a joke. This is a simple one - just dash attack, u-tilt, and then perform an upwards aerial. From here you can begin a juggle. Also, the u-tilt becomes easier if you dash attack and while in THAT animation, hold up, so that once the dash attack ends, you can just press A to tilt. It becomes easier to u-tilt after a period in which you cannot jump. For instance, wavedash and IMMEDIATELY hold up. If you did it soon enough, you won't jump because of the landing lag of the wavedash. At the end of the wavedash, press A to do a u-tilt. In the case of this 'Champ' Combo, you can hold up while the dash attack is taking place.

That's it! Hope some more people can contribute. And when you contribute, try to be neat by giving the trick/combo a name and then describing it, like I did above. Or just comment on tricks other people have posted. Have a discussion... Well, I guess that's it. Keep some tricks coming and hopefully everyone will learn something and add more variety to the style of their Fox. NOTE: Even if a trick is extremely basic please contribute anyway...

Come on!

- Dalal

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
O:

Very nice post! I'm gonna use those now!

Perhaps someone should make a Sticky linking to all of these kind of threads? I know I've seen a few.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
This is great information to compile, Dalal. You've pretty much summed up most of my favorite fox tricks for approaching someone(sh-waveland backwards <3). Only one thing, though. You may want to include crouch-cancelling as one of the movement tricks. CC'ing is a great way to cancel out a dash animation into any ground attack that you would like. Also, fox-trotting would not be a bad thing to mention(repeating the initial dash animation to make fox move faster. Can be paired with wd'ing for super speed, or used like dd'ing for a change in tempo).

Great post Dalal. I'm now in your fan club.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Uncle Meat,
Thanks for the comments. I agree with you about the stickies. Each forum and sub-forum should have a stickied thread at the top called "Important Threads". This thread contains links to all threads that might be important, such as guides or important discussions etc.

Flarefox,
I'm very sorry, but I don't appreciate you being in my fan club. You are not a Grimer supporter, but I am. So either join the Grimers, or don't talk to me! ... <-- Don't take all that seriously ... anyway thanks for the comments on the thread. As I said in my previous post, if you want to include a Fox trick that you think is useful or looks flashy, just go ahead and make a post. That's what I wanted this to be about. I know that my list of Fox movement tricks isn't complete, so everyone can go ahead and post their own tricks so soon we'll have a cool little collection of them. Then, later, I can go ahead and attach each Fox trick to my first post and credit the submitter.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
If I convert to the Grimer Faith, can I be in the OFFICIAL DALAL FAN CLUB?

Poke'mon 88, for sure.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Of course you can! But if you really want to show your respect for me, then put my signature pic in your signature. Then, you will be regarded as one of my biggest fans! Wouldn't you want that?

Anyway, I hope some more people will post their Fox techniques...

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Devl, it's evil and it must be stopped.

But, I've been grimered!!! :( :cry: Someone slipped grimer into my avatar. >.<;
This shit is unconstitutional.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Since this has gotten a little of topic, I will try to get back to the point,

I don't know if it has a name, but I call it a shine jump fake,
one you drill kick into your opponent, and reflector then jump up and then fast fall and right when you are in reach of their head, you reflector again and jump again before touching the ground,

Another is simply drill kick, and then start the infinit jump cancele shine, then if they shield you won't have to worry about them shield grabbing you, cuz you are attacking forever.

Thats all I feel like saying right now.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Ah! Thanks Shade for the contribution.... you're the first contributor...

I like the shine jump fake. They will think you are going to perform an aerial. They will either shield or try and protect themselves, usually by attacking. If they try to attack, they might get shined, hopefully. This move IS a litte risky but it's still a good movement trick. I'll add it to the list...

The other idea is not much of a movement trick, so I don't think I'll include it in the list at the top. However, if you can explain to me exactly how this jukes the opponent out or acts as a mindgame, I'll be glad to include it. Anyway, keep the contributions coming.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
OMG

U FR3@I<1N9 N00B

Just kidding. Excellent post. I'm sure this will help alot of people who didn't already know these techniques. I admire the amount of time you put into typing that up so that others may feast on the fruits of "Holy crap I learned something new" - ness. Cudos to you.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
sprint sliding - foxtrotting + forward wd's in between dashes.

i am 85% sure that foxtrotting involves repeated short forward dashes, as opposed to what you said. (you use only the initial dash animation, repeat it over and over again)

Ozmosis107

Smash Cadet
SI (short fox illusion)

This is where you press B somewhere during your fox illusion (-> B) to shorten its length. You would normally do this for a horizontal recovery or to cut through your opponent. But with the the SI you can fake people out. I do this to my friends all the time. I wind up like I am going to hit them, but then I barely move from where I was standing. This makes them shield most of the time or back away. I do it several times and each time they have the thought in the back of their mind, will he hit me this time? I use this for recovery too. Instead of shooting into the middle of the stage I will either land on the end of the stage or on the ledge. It just plays with peoples minds. I usually dont use it as an attack.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
i don't believe you actually have to dash-cancel when you foxtrot, for fox at least, you just smash the control stick in one direction, then wait half a second, then do it again...repeat...

someday i will go into training mode in 1/4 speed and see for myself how fast it really is, lol.

i "stationary pulse walk" a lot. although i'd never call it that. lol.

"circle jumping" can be done quicker if you insert a fast-fall in there...but that's probably too much trouble for what it's worth

Ozmosis107

Smash Cadet
Double Edge Shine (DES)

This is performed when you are on the edge of a level. When you are hanging on the edge of a stage, and your opponent is standing above you, this is the time for the DES. For it to work your opponent should be right on the edge of the stage, but not so far that they are wobbling off balance. What you do is shine while you are hanging on the edge. Your opponent will be hit by the shine and you will let go of the ledge and begin to fall. Quickly jump out of your shine and wavedash onto the stage and continue to waveshine your oponent. This is a very useful move for recovering. The opposing player wont be able to get out of it and it catches people off guard most of the time.

Dalal

Smash Ace
I made some corrections in my Fox Trotting description based on what DDRKirby(ISQ) and Ragnarok Online said. You guys can check it and see if it's right now.

Ozmosis107, thanks for both your contributions. I didn't include the DES as a movement technique in the list though, because it seems like more of an attack. However, if you look in the V2 description of the ledge wavedash, I put the move in there...

NOTE TO EVERYBODY ELSE:
I remember a long time ago when I was browsing the forums, someone had a technique where you can immediately turn around when you jump from a dash. And it wasn't the 'Backlanding' I described in the list. I mean, he said that he could jump and immediately perform a Bair into the face of the opponent. And he was kicking the right way, he was actually turned around. I don't know what it was and it's probably lost now, but I was wondering if anybody knew how to do this. We can include this turn-around technique in the tricks list as well...

Dalal

Smash Ace
lilmiah_#101 said:
Dala, you must have a lot of time on your hands my friend. Really great Great info tho, thanks.

Lol. Two people have said that so far... that I have a lot of time on my hands. Come to think of it, I HAVE been making quite a few posts lately. I have too much time on my hands? i Well, not exactly, but I type quite fast, around 90 wpm most of the time with reasonable accuracy I'd say. But I don't really have THAT much time on my hands, SAT's coming up and all, I have to study... And I can't go on Melee during weekends, not allowed to, and I"m not supposed to be on the computer doing anything besides studying, but I do this anyway... lol

But thanks, glad you like the info. Hope more people contribute...

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
Dalal said:
I remember a long time ago when I was browsing the forums, someone had a technique where you can immediately turn around when you jump from a dash. And it wasn't the 'Backlanding' I described in the list. I mean, he said that he could jump and immediately perform a Bair into the face of the opponent. And he was kicking the right way, he was actually turned around. I don't know what it was and it's probably lost now, but I was wondering if anybody knew how to do this. We can include this turn-around technique in the tricks list as well...
i guess you could dashcancel into a shine, and turn around in the shine, and...

well no, that's too complicated.

you could forward wd, then turn around, backward wd, and bair?

something...

if i wanted to perform a bair in the first place id probably just start wding backwards with my back to my opponent.

--

i guess you could add triangle jumping too. (essentially the "delayed" version of a wd)

maybe infinite firefox stall would fit here too? well maybe not, as it's not really so much a form of movement...

you might want to put drop from ledge->double jump->walljump->fox illusion or airdodge back onto stage, i use that one a lot.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Well, no DDRKirby, there was nothing fancy involved in his move. He just dashed and did it backwards. I NEED to find that post... Anyway, as for your suggestions, I went ahead and included the unique ledge recovery tactic. Zelgadis does this in his battles too. In fact, that was where I first learned of it. And the triangle jump. It sounds like something to include but before I make a description I want to know some uses for it. I don't use triangle jumping in battle much so I don't know how it's effective. Why not just wavedash and forget the triangle jump. Is it for invincibility? I don't get it. To me it's just a messed up version of the wavedash. And you don't travel as far either... If you could include some uses I'll include in the list....

Ozmosis107

Smash Cadet
This is all I can come up with about jumping out of a dash and doing an immediate bair. What DDRKirby said makes sense. I had been thinking the same thing. What you would do is dash and shine. Turn around in the shine and jump cancell out of it doing a bair. That would be difficult to do but possible. It probably isnt what you are talking about because you probably would have remembered the shine happening. But shines can take place extremly fast somtimes. An easy example is what Zelgadis does. When a player is Fox illusion'ing he shines through the move and jumps very fast to cancel the shine. This makes the shine hard to see somtimes. But it could happen just by luck.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
yea, add that posts from Ozmosis107
this is definately sticky worthly and will help ppl who are learning about fox

Ozmosis107

Smash Cadet
I have another guess as to what could happen. Somtimes when I am dashing and SHL'ing I turn around by accident and shoot my laser the wrong direction. I dont really know how I do this, but I just turn around in my short hop. I am still moving in the air from the jump, I am just facing the wrong direction. This proves there is a way to do it. I am in the process of trying to figure it out.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
No <3 for pivot? :(

Also, what about the infinite stall on the edge with firefox? If fox let's go, then immediately firefox's and di's into the edge again, he can regrab the edge. Do it fast enough, and the invincibility frames from grabbing the edge can actually keep fox invincible until he regrabs the edge for more invincibility frames. While doing this, the burning from the chargeup of the up-b can attack opponents.
A similar thing can be done with the illusion from the edge(without jumping), if you are fast enough. This could be used as an alternative to ledgejumping to recatch the edge for invincibility frames.

Doraki also discovered a method by which you can immediatey walljump from the edge. It has to be prepped by jumping into the edge and hitting the edge right before you catch it, at the right height. It is quite useful and surprising for the opponent if you have the time to prepare it at the edge, when edgeguarding. It allows you to jump farther out from the edge for a shinespike and still make it back. I've actually had a little success with it, too. ^_^;

noob-lube69

Smash Journeyman
this is a nice thread so far, however I know some more fox tricks you may want to add:

Shine to reverse bair:
-as your oponent is recovering towards the stage, Jump out and down b then turn around in shine and jumpcancel (you should be facing towards the stage now) then do a retreating bair, landing on the stage.

Shine to waveland-edgehog:
-same concept as before, except after you shinespike your opponent and reverse jump-cancel, you waveland off of the stage to an edgehog.

Platform Waveland:
-same as a regular waveland except you must start under a platform, jump then waveland off of it.

Shine to Platform Waveland:
-Same as above, except you jump-cancel a shine before you waveland

Infinite firefox stall:
-this is the same exact stall that bombsolider uses with falco. While hanging on a ledge press down then immediatley up b . If done correctly, the animation on your firefox will cancel and you will quickly grab the edge again, regaining valuable invincibility frames useful for edgehogging/stalling

Infinite Lube Stall:
-this is a veriation on the standard firfox stall invented by me, noob-lube69. While hanging from a ledge, press down and b (you will let go of the edge and shine) then quickly press up and b to start a firefox. This technique can be used as both an infinite stall and also an uber-cool way to shine-spike people. Be wary that this technique and the firefox stall both have a very small amount of vulnarable frames (where you are no longer invincible) so if you over-use them your opponent may be able to edge gaurd you.

Dash dance to ledgehog:
-while standing close to the ledge and facing off the stage, quickly dash forward, then back (to face towards the stage) then immediately wavedash backwards to grab the ledge. Or you could jus turn around and wavedash backwards to grab the ledge, but that wouldn't look as cool :p

Running Shine into Edgehog:
-this is another technique invented by bombsolider, and is the fastest way to grab the ledge if you are very far from it (you need a running start for this to work). Run towards the edge, then shine, turn around in the shine and backwards wavedash off the stage into a ledge hog.

Running Reverse Laser to Edgehog:
-run towards a ledge, jump and reverse laser (towards the stage) the waveshine backwards off the stage to grab the ledge. You can also reverse double laser into edgehog, or you can reverse-double-laser-waveshine-to-edgehog. All are fancy ways to grab the ledge.

Double Walljump:
-similar to a regular walljump, cept after you repel off the wall with your first jump, immediatley double jump back into the wall again with your second jump and wall jump a second time. This doesn't really have any practical uses; it just looks cool :p

Ledgedrop to Shine to Walljump to Stunted Fox Illusion:
While hanging on the ledge, drop down and shine, then jump-cancel the shine with your second jump, then wall jump, then do a stunted fox illusion to grab the ledge again (press b during the illusion to shorten the distance you travel) This can be used as a mind game, because after you grab the edge a second time you can just waveland back onto the stage and catch your opponent by suprise

Running Short hop to fox Illusion to Edgehog:
run towards the ledge and short hop off the stage. When you are level w/ the ledge, do I fox illusion in the opposite direction to grab the edge. If you do it properly, the illusion animation will cancel out and you will just grab the edge for a quick edgehog

Dalal

Smash Ace
Ozmosis107 said:
I have another guess as to what could happen. Somtimes when I am dashing and SHL'ing I turn around by accident and shoot my laser the wrong direction. I dont really know how I do this, but I just turn around in my short hop. I am still moving in the air from the jump, I am just facing the wrong direction. This proves there is a way to do it. I am in the process of trying to figure it out.
This is just reverse SHL'ing. It works because when you tap a control stick direction while in the air, and THEN perform the move, it turns you around. I don't know if this doesn't have anything to do with the Bair, because the Bair is an A move, not a B move. The turning around only works because it is a B move. Look at the description of my Backlanding move. It explains how to do what you are describing, I think. But, maybe... just maybe... this could be the key to figuring it out. Thanks for bringing it up anyway...

noob-lube69 said:
this is a nice post so far, however I know some more fox tricks you may want to ad
Whoa, that's a huge list of tricks. Thanks. I'll tell you what I'll do. Since some of the tricks require certain fundamental techniques that you have to learn before you try the ones you described (such as the running shine turn-around and landing wavedash), I'll just explain some of these terms and in the middle, I'll link to this page of the thread and direct people to your post, which contains all these tricks.

Also, many people requested me to include the Firefox Infinite Stall. Since this doesn't have much to do with MOVEMENT, I'll just tell everyone to look at your list, since you've described it already. And Flarefox also described it, in even more detail. So yeah, this page is good reference...

EDIT: Well, since many people are asking about the Firefox Infinite Stall, and this thread is becoming more of a general Fox Moves type of thread, I'll include the firefox stall and describe lube's variation as well. And plus, the Firefox Stall is a pretty 'flashy' movement, don't you think?

Dalal

Smash Ace
I've been updating this trick list, although it's now on the second page. My main reason for making this post is to bump it, so that more people can see this and more contributions can come.

I added two new tricks to the list today (and a third some other day, but I don't remember what it was). The two I added today were Flip Sliding and Empty Shffling which I think are nice. I did them in a battle today just for fun and friends started looking at me.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask... Why is it that the post editor needs you to create tags again. I liked it how they had made it in the middle where you can just press Ctrl + B to make text bold. Or you could highlight the text and press bold. I don't like this old way. Someone should make it back to how it was a few weeks ago...

Zander805

Smash Ace
You rock man! Thanks for doing this, it seems like you are always making it easier for people to learn. I <3 Dalal!!! :)

Edit: I mean this in a heterosexual way...

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
Dalal said:
And the triangle jump. It sounds like something to include but before I make a description I want to know some uses for it. I don't use triangle jumping in battle much so I don't know how it's effective. Why not just wavedash and forget the triangle jump. Is it for invincibility? I don't get it. To me it's just a messed up version of the wavedash. And you don't travel as far either... If you could include some uses I'll include in the list....
Yes, the triangle jump is basically used for the invincibility. it's like a compromise between spot dodge and a wd...you get the movement of the wd, with the invincibility of the spot dodge.

of course, it's not foolproof--it is quite a bit slower than a regular wavedash, so you might get punished for it...i dont really use it with fox at all...although i do find that it seems to work pretty well with jiggs...

the best example i can come up with would be triangle jumping vs marth--you triangle jump forwards, so you avoid his tipper, while at the same time moving in for an attack.

at least, that's all -i- know about triangle jumping.

Xelyst

-_-
awesome contribution dalal. i'll be sure to refer this to some pals.

Joker

Smash Ace
:embarrass
The most useful tip i EVER ran across for Fox...
Was to stop using him and other gay characters
And pick up someone good, like Samus.
And wouldnt you know it, i've gotten like 1000 times better since :laugh:

Dalal

Smash Ace
So basically you aren't too good with Fox. Since you play Samus, a character slower than Fox, it seems to me like you don't have the reflexes to deal with Fox's speed. Well, in that case, you shouldn't select Fox. You are smart by not choosing Fox. He is too difficult for you...

However, if you DO wish to play Fox than why don't you take a look at this thread. There are also many guides like Omni's which you can look at. CunningKitsune's etc..

It can be difficult when you are a noob at Fox. I remember those days. Frustration.... but now I am decent. Why? Because I tried and didn't give up. Because I didn't label Fox as 'gay'. You should consider doing the same.

Don't worry. For people with slow reflexes it will take some time for development to take place in the brain. You can stick to Samus for now, but soon your reflexes will become better. You will learn more about smash and will learn to not spam in forums and all.

Hope this helps you,

Dalal

The Cape

Smash Master
Joker said:
:embarrass
The most useful tip i EVER ran across for Fox...
Was to stop using him and other gay characters
And pick up someone good, like Samus.
And wouldnt you know it, i've gotten like 1000 times better since :laugh:
Wait wait, you dont play gay chars like Fox, but you play the gayest character of all?

Wow Joker, wow.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Very nice, Dalal. I have trained you well, my son. *Bows.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom