• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Footstool Combo - Kill at 0%!

Postknowledge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Postknowledge

Hey guys. I put this in my guide, but some people may not like reading guides, so I thought I'd just make a general Fox post about it so everyone can see it easier. This is a video I made on a wicked kill combo using Fox, his F-Air, and Footstooling.

If you don't want to watch the video for a tutorial, I';; try to explain it to the best of my ability in text. (However, I show a few clips of using it online near the end, so I would go watch those if you want to see how this technique is done)

To do this, the move you're going to need to know is a short hop and fast-falled F-Air. An awesome property of Fox's F-Air is that it drags the opponent wherever you go, so you can use this to you advantage by dragging them downward, off of the stage, and ending with a footstool pushing them downward, allowing you to recover. First you get them off the stage (smash attack or throw) and that is when you initiate the attack. Use the F-Air going downward when your enemy is recovering, or while they are still in the knockback from your throw or smash attack. If done successfully, you will drag them down the stage pretty far, which is when you must use your second jump that you've been saving to initiate the footstool. After you do the footstool, use your Up-Special and you're good to go.

I do NOT recommend using this on players who have extremely good vertical recovery moves, such as Lucario, Pit, or even Sonic.

If you are having a hard time getting it to work, the most common problem (for me and friends, at least) is that you either don't do a short hop, you fast fall at the wrong time, or you use your F-Air at the wrong time. If you're having a hard time getting the short hop to become natural for this move, I would recommend going to training mode and just practice it about 1000 times. That's a solid way for it to become natural to your muscle memory. As for those last 2, you just have to practice it on lots of opponents and don't get discouraged, because you will fail a lot at this before you start to nail it.

Pros
- Can kill at ANY percent! (Yes, even at 0%)
- Stylish way to kill
- Opponents tend to not expect it (unless you keep overusing it every match on the same person)
- High reward move!

Cons
- VERY high risk!
- Possible to be punished IF they see it coming

Thanks for viewing this, and for any Fox main, I suggest you learn this trick, it is fun to use and works like a charm. Have a wonderful day!

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
o it looks like on some stages the foot-stole will just kil them and not give them a chance to recover

Postknowledge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Postknowledge
o it looks like on some stages the foot-stole will just kil them and not give them a chance to recover
Which ones? Granted some stages may make for a tougher recovery on your part, but if you time everything right it should essentially be the same.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I could make serious use of this with some practice - thanks! It does look difficult to utilize in For Glory, though. Especially if there's any lag.

Postknowledge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Postknowledge
I could make serious use of this with some practice - thanks! It does look difficult to utilize in For Glory, though. Especially if there's any lag.
It does take lots of practice, but once you have it down you'll start to see the opportunity to use it more and more in every match - just don't stand by the ledge to throw them every time, if they catch on you'll start having a tough time. Best of luck :)

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
After the Fair it looks like we get under the opponent, so why cant they footstool us?
Like Deathly Ferret said, they're still in hitstun.

Btw, like you said above, this is also character dependent, but there are more characters who can make it back. The Pikachu you were fighting would've been able to make it back had he used the second part of his Up-B. Other characters with great recoveries can also come back from it. If they still have their double-jump, chances are they might be able to make it back as well, even with meh recoveries.

This is especially awesome if you clip them with F-air while they double jump, taking away their hopes of making it back.

Last edited:

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
This is much more deadly if you dont shorthop, and just walk off the stage. But you will barely make it back to the stage if you miss the footstool. So far, this is my favorite kill setup for fox, it is really satisfying to pull off and looks really slick.

Last edited:

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
This thread REALLY should be labeled as a guide... This has helped me more than anything else on the Fox-Boards.

Last edited:

mattpauly24

Smash Rookie
NNID
mattpauly24
3DS FC
4141-5009-0713
Whenever i try to do it, the opponent keeps ending up above me and they get to recover. In other words, when i do it, i fall too far. what am i doing wrong?

Postknowledge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Postknowledge
Whenever i try to do it, the opponent keeps ending up above me and they get to recover. In other words, when i do it, i fall too far. what am i doing wrong?
You could either be starting the F-Air too early (only by a little bit), or not initiating the jump quick enough after your attack. I've tested this on all characters and it should work on everyone.

Peterdas1

Smash Rookie

Hey guys. I put this in my guide, but some people may not like reading guides, so I thought I'd just make a general Fox post about it so everyone can see it easier. This is a video I made on a wicked kill combo using Fox, his F-Air, and Footstooling.

If you don't want to watch the video for a tutorial, I';; try to explain it to the best of my ability in text. (However, I show a few clips of using it online near the end, so I would go watch those if you want to see how this technique is done)

To do this, the move you're going to need to know is a short hop and fast-falled F-Air. An awesome property of Fox's F-Air is that it drags the opponent wherever you go, so you can use this to you advantage by dragging them downward, off of the stage, and ending with a footstool pushing them downward, allowing you to recover. First you get them off the stage (smash attack or throw) and that is when you initiate the attack. Use the F-Air going downward when your enemy is recovering, or while they are still in the knockback from your throw or smash attack. If done successfully, you will drag them down the stage pretty far, which is when you must use your second jump that you've been saving to initiate the footstool. After you do the footstool, use your Up-Special and you're good to go.

I do NOT recommend using this on players who have extremely good vertical recovery moves, such as Lucario, Pit, or even Sonic.

If you are having a hard time getting it to work, the most common problem (for me and friends, at least) is that you either don't do a short hop, you fast fall at the wrong time, or you use your F-Air at the wrong time. If you're having a hard time getting the short hop to become natural for this move, I would recommend going to training mode and just practice it about 1000 times. That's a solid way for it to become natural to your muscle memory. As for those last 2, you just have to practice it on lots of opponents and don't get discouraged, because you will fail a lot at this before you start to nail it.

Pros
- Can kill at ANY percent! (Yes, even at 0%)
- Stylish way to kill
- Opponents tend to not expect it (unless you keep overusing it every match on the same person)
- High reward move!

Cons
- VERY high risk!
- Possible to be punished IF they see it coming

Thanks for viewing this, and for any Fox main, I suggest you learn this trick, it is fun to use and works like a charm. Have a wonderful day!

Whenever I do it, i usually end up hitting them with the last hit of fair and it knocks them away. Any help?

Top Bottom