• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FOX dtilt to bair

skumpp0

Smash Rookie
I can't get it. I do the attack cancel for it and I still only get it 30% of the time. Please give me some tips, I might be doing something wrong, I need this explained to me as if I was a child.

Omega_Knight

Smash Cadet
Do you mean you can do the attack cancel bair every time but are only hitting them 30% of the time (when you think it should be true) or do you mean you press the inputs for attack cancel and only get it about 30% of the time?

Assuming the latter:

It's more of a rhythm than just pressing buttons together. It's not about pressing forward , back on c-stick, and jump at the same time. I have jump on R and was having trouble at first because I was constantly "squeezing" the controller, pressing all the inputs and just hoping it worked.

The kind of speed I do that gives me the most success is pressing R as soon as the C stick hits the corner of the octagon. Think of the timing of C-stick and jump like a really fast heart beat: Two distinct inputs just right after one another.

I recommend going into training mode and switching the speed to the slowest speed and practicing the timing at a much slower pace. This way you can also see more clearly what exactly Fox is doing.

You end up favoring one side so you should make an effort to balance out dashing both directions during training.

Where do you have jump mapped to?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Adding on to what Omega_Knight said, mapping Jump to a shoulder button is key for easier and more consistent attack cancelling. Whether it's L or R (or ZL or ZR if using pro) comes down to preference.

It is also more ergonomic than claw grip (i.e. more natural and less straining on your hands = less joint pain long run) so you even get a health benefit out of it.

skumpp0

Smash Rookie
Got it now, practiced with R as jump and I can do it on a regular basis.
Do you mean you can do the attack cancel bair every time but are only hitting them 30% of the time (when you think it should be true) or do you mean you press the inputs for attack cancel and only get it about 30% of the time?

Assuming the latter:

It's more of a rhythm than just pressing buttons together. It's not about pressing forward , back on c-stick, and jump at the same time. I have jump on R and was having trouble at first because I was constantly "squeezing" the controller, pressing all the inputs and just hoping it worked.

The kind of speed I do that gives me the most success is pressing R as soon as the C stick hits the corner of the octagon. Think of the timing of C-stick and jump like a really fast heart beat: Two distinct inputs just right after one another.

I recommend going into training mode and switching the speed to the slowest speed and practicing the timing at a much slower pace. This way you can also see more clearly what exactly Fox is doing.

You end up favoring one side so you should make an effort to balance out dashing both directions during training.

Where do you have jump mapped to?
I practiced with R as jump, previously I was using x/y and was doing c-stick and x/y at the same time. I'm getting it waaaaaaay more after practicing for around 30 min. Thanks

Top Bottom