• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Chaingrab: Pivot Grab Percents on no DI

ETMIV

Smash Rookie
Apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere.

I've been practicing chaingrabbing Fox on FD on vanilla Melee. My Fox is just an idle "human," not a computer, so it shouldn't be DIing.

I've seen different Marth chaingrab tutorials (Ippo's and SSBM Tutorials' to be specific) that give different start percents for pivot grabs in this situation. When I've done the chaingrab myself, upthrow regrab also seems to stop working at different percents. The point is, I'm not sure when to begin pivot grabbing. Does anyone know?

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm missing something that would make the situation clearer. It seems a little funky that I'm not able to regrab consistently at the same percent with the same DI. Perhaps I'm not timing my regrabs precisely enough.

Pent

Smash Rookie
Apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere.

I've been practicing chaingrabbing Fox on FD on vanilla Melee. My Fox is just an idle "human," not a computer, so it shouldn't be DIing.

I've seen different Marth chaingrab tutorials (Ippo's and SSBM Tutorials' to be specific) that give different start percents for pivot grabs in this situation. When I've done the chaingrab myself, upthrow regrab also seems to stop working at different percents. The point is, I'm not sure when to begin pivot grabbing. Does anyone know?

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm missing something that would make the situation clearer. It seems a little funky that I'm not able to regrab consistently at the same percent with the same DI. Perhaps I'm not timing my regrabs precisely enough.
Hey dude I practice a lot. Here are some tips:

People can slight DI inbetween your model starting 16%. So if they go straight up, always pivot grab at 16-29%. You can also continue this until much higher percents. I believe you can even uthrow pivotgrab at 39%, but there are some numbers in the 30s that it doesn't work.

39-54% if they DI straight up you can pivot tipper fsmash.

Starting 43% you can shffuair regrab.

Starting 19% if they DI away in front you must dash.

You can regrab without dashing behind you to 24%.

If they DI in front of you 23-29% you can utilt tipper regrab.

If they DI behind you 25%- 38% you can utilt tipper regrab.

The hardest part of the chaingrab is roughly at 34ish percent where they can DI slightly behind you. Utilt will not combo into regrab and they can be sent awkwardly depending on what you do. Best option is actually shorthop single hit nair into regrab, m2k has done this. Not sure if guaranteed (probably not with SDI). Otherwise I recommend you utilt into dash attack, uair, or tech chase depending on their DI after hit. If you can't tech chase a Fox with Marth, you're playing Marth wrong. His rolls are terrible and you should ALWAYS grab him out of a knockdown. Practice!

55-63% you can tipper fsmash regardless of DI. Walk to position yourself.

53- 83% you can uair- tipper fsmash.

If they DI away at 39- 45ish% you can walk forward and utilt.

So this isn't everything of course, these are just tips that I know. Also, these percents may not be exact but they're off the top of my head. I know some of them are probably wrong and I know some are undoubtedly right. At the very least, they're close to being true. Enjoy your practice.

Last edited:

ETMIV

Smash Rookie
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Do either of you have any insight as to why straight upthrow regrab stops working for me at different percents? To be more specific than I was in my original post, when I plug in an extra controller and practice on an idle "human" Fox, upthrow regrab sometimes stops working at around 16-17%, but sometimes I can keep regrabbing with no pivot to around 25%. I'm just confused, since obviously there's no DI each time. Shouldn't that mean my straight regrabs should stop working at the same percent every time?

This is what I was getting at when referencing the different guides. It seems like every Marth main has some different percent for when to start pivot grabbing. Ippo said (I believe) 25%, SSBM Tutorials said something like 17%, and now Smash G0D you said 18-19%. Shouldn't there just be one correct percent? If not, why the variety?

Last edited:

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
The way I keep it consistent is by just doing dash jump canceled regrabs on Fox after 18%. Pivot if they DI slightly behind me.

thf24

Smash Cadet
This is what I was getting at when referencing the different guides. It seems like every Marth main has some different percent for when to start pivot grabbing. Ippo said (I believe) 25%, SSBM Tutorials said something like 17%, and now Smash G0D you said 18-19%. Shouldn't there just be one correct percent? If not, why the variety?
Ippo's 25% is when you absolutely have to pivot grab no DI due to the "Roy zone," (the point where no DI puts them behind the grab's hit box and they'll fall through you) and the others are when you need to start to avoid being shined out if that's what they're going for. I was under the impression it was 16% for that, but I'm a scrub so I'm probably wrong.

Top Bottom