• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Psyke

Smash Rookie
Question....I know how to shine fox/falcos out of theyre forward b recovery but one thing i cant get the hang of doing is shining them out of theyre firefox/bird recovery...when i shine them out of theyre phantasm i usually time it by listening to the twinkle sound that comes before the phantasm...is there anything that i can use to help me be able to shine a space animal out of theyre up b recovery?

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
first off, falco's up+b has no damaging flames while he's charging it. so you can shine spike him at anytime during his charge. fox's is also easy you just have to time it a bit better

to shine someone out of their firefox trajectory you have to have your angle right and time it so that you shine them before the hitbox hits you (the top)
just practice you'll find the right way to do it

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Is it possible to shinespike fox when he's in "charging" it, even the hitboxes have come out?
btw, i prefer to ftilt/jab or bair/nair them through their illusion/firefox, and then fall down and shinespike them. After the ftilt/jab they have no option but to firefox below you, and shinespike'ing them there is really easy.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
you mean like sdi the jab up so they lose their hitstun while being in range for grabbing the edge?
sure it can prolly work at lower percents (against the jab, doubt it'll work on the ftilt since it has slightly more stun)

Falcinho

Smash Ace
I think at higher %ages you can even SDI behind them.

But don't quote me on that, i haven't been edgeguaded like that for quite a while.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
broken...gay...who knows the difference between these two terms anymore..especially when tlaking about fox/sheik

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Yea the hitbox of the shine lasts one frame. When you JC there is like 3 frames of lag. The shine is good but I honestly don't think its super broken. Just sort of gay.
I thought that Fox was just invincible for 1 frame. Crazy.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I think his frame of invincibility is the same frame the shine's hitbox is out. It explains why shine randomly clinks but is never beaten flat out by moves.
Yes, this is the case, and also the reason why shine is one of like 3 moves that beat grabs.

Read the next part only if you're into hardcore smash theory and stuff I am not sure about.

I think that the window for shinespikes is bigger than one frame though, because the hitbox obviously isn't a tiny spot in the middle of Fox' stomach. Since it extends beyond his body, if an opponent is Firefox/birding towards him there's gonna be more than one frame in which his hurtbox is in the range or potential hitbox of the shine. Since shine comes out in one frame, you can activate it on any one of those frames and have it hit.

I'm not too sure about this though. After all, the shine's hitbox isn't marth fsmash huge, and so it might be too small for the effect that I described to take place. It's just an idea, because I feel like shinespiking someone out of a firefox/bird is not 1 frame hard. Hard, yes, but not 1 frame hard.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I simply thought shine was alot faster than grabs, thats why it wins if you lcancel on a shield. I just pieced together the invincibility idea recently. lol

I duno...if you don't have safe frames from the edge when you're shine-spiking its pretty hard to hit Fox/Falco directly out of their upb.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I simply thought shine was alot faster than grabs, thats why it wins if you lcancel on a shield. I just pieced together the invincibility idea recently. lol

I duno...if you don't have safe frames from the edge when you're shine-spiking its pretty hard to hit Fox/Falco directly out of their upb.
Well, I mean grab beats shine if the hitboxes are timed to come out at the same moment. Obviously shine is also 6 frames faster.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Edge-guarding:

Marth:

DK:

Samus:

Thoughts anyone? Vs. Marth I basically lightshield into stuff/edgehop or bair/shine with ledge frames. Its broken, but I want to be more creative with it. DK/Samus I just freestyle.

Anyone have ideas to throw out?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Raynex in that match you had vs sliq's roy I saw you ledgehop a bair against his recovery (which is basically the same as marth's recovery). Where you using ledge invincibility frames then or did you space it in some weird way so you didn't get hit by the sword?

Against DK, you can shinespike through his up-b if you aim for his head and time it right. Might not be worth the risk tho, cuz if you time it to late you'll take lite 30% from the swinging arms.
you can dsmash and fsmash right through DK's up-b. for the dsmash to work fox's legs have to be on level with DK's arms. So if you time it right you can often own his sweetspot attempts.
Sadly the dsmash won't do much against his recovery tho.
So fsmash is prolly better, but dsmash is easier to time. You have to space yourself kinda far away for it to work.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
If you expect the Marth to go on the stage, you can shield the upB (standing right next to the edge) and shine out of shield + edgehog

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Raynex in that match you had vs sliq's roy I saw you ledgehop a bair against his recovery (which is basically the same as marth's recovery). Where you using ledge invincibility frames then or did you space it in some weird way so you didn't get hit by the sword?

Against DK, you can shinespike through his up-b if you aim for his head and time it right. Might not be worth the risk tho, cuz if you time it to late you'll take lite 30% from the swinging arms.
you can dsmash and fsmash right through DK's up-b. for the dsmash to work fox's legs have to be on level with DK's arms. So if you time it right you can often own his sweetspot attempts.
Sadly the dsmash won't do much against his recovery tho.
So fsmash is prolly better, but dsmash is easier to time. You have to space yourself kinda far away for it to work.
I used frames to go through his up+b that time. If you firefox stall once or twice it becomes really easy to abuse your frames and get an easy shinespike on Marth. Also, ledge-drop bair is really good vs. Marth if he goes low. It doesn't trade if you have frames and kills him if he doesn't have a double jump.

idea

Smash Master
pc seems to shinespike m2k's marth a lot...i think he looks for a non-sweetspot up-b from m2k then runs in and shines. maybe watch those videos and learn to do that too, for when it looks like marth is gonna get back? or is it too difficult to be practical...

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Not worth the risk. PC takes a huge chance by guessing m2k will miss his sweetspot. If M2k gets the edge right then PC is way too close to the edge aka gimp proximity. The only thing I think PC is doing right is spamming shield when edge-guarding marth. He waits for either a WD on the stage or an aerial and does a move oos to counter.

I talked to PC on aim and even he admitted he doesn't really know what to do vs. marth on edge-guard. Its all freestyle.

GodheadsLamentX

Smash Apprentice
Marth: LS edgehog. If Marth makes it, LH Bair. There's other options, but usually I don't know until dealing with it then and there

DK: Fullhop Nair out at him, or LH Uair/Bair from under. (The main problem with these is the timing to hit the center away from his arms during his monkeycopter)

Samus: Walljump shine or shine Bair is fun esp when they try to grapple.

Top Bottom