• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Right, I know Bones but I mean just me personally. I feel like my reaction time is bad or I'm just not sure when I'm going to powershield because I'm not entirely consistent at it

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
@ Diana's Safe Landing Diana's Safe Landing

Fox's ftilt is amazing. Especially when edgeguarding. But in terms of neutral, I like to opt for jab > ftilt. Darc tells me that it's a frame trap
Yea, I agree. Whenever I jab in the ditto or I get jabbed my friend and I always start jabbing each other back. After you jab fox what can you follow up with before you yourself get jabbed? Jab is great at interrupting things out of nowhere but in the fox ditto is it generally considered unsafe to throw it out at neutral when the opponent is at low percent?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Right, I know Bones but I mean just me personally. I feel like my reaction time is bad or I'm just not sure when I'm going to powershield because I'm not entirely consistent at it
You can always delay your WD OoS (or w/e you do) by a few frames to account for shield stun so it works whether your PS or not. Try WDing back OoS after going for a powershield. If you hit it, you can react to them getting hit by the laser and take some space (you can almost never get true followups from PSing). If you miss, then you just shield the laser and WD back safely; if they SHL into SHFFL and you WDed back OoS properly, you should be able to grab them no problem (maybe adding in a DD).

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
@ Diana's Safe Landing Diana's Safe Landing
I don't know percents at all, I kind of just play and see what works. For me, when I get a jab at low percents I like to jab>ftilt, jab>grab, or jab>DD grab/aerial. I guess it would be less safe at lower percents because your jab can be crouch canceled

@ Bones0 Bones0 So it sounds like I should WD OoS regardless of whether I power shield or not

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Is there lag when you SHDL?
When you land during laser, a normal landing animation (4 frames) takes place. If you go to practice mode and use 1/4 slow motion, it's very easy to see when normal landings happen, because it has it's own animation. So you can easily test yourself which moves auto-cancel.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
There are a couple of viable options on edgeguarding samus. When I want to rack up percent, I laser the **** out of her when she's bomb recovering. You can also time when she does the bomb jump and shine her out of it.

If she grapples the ledge while you're edgehogging, she is forced to jump onto the stage. React to when your opponent presses A and ledgehop bair

Zeppeli

Smash Cadet
I play Sheik and have a question.

Whenever I play against a top Fox and eat a nair/grab, I end up in a frenzy of hits where my percent goes from 0%~50% and then I get edgehogged and die.

When can I combo break in these type of instances? I know it's a very vague question - By combo break I'd refer to stuff like doing a nair right after fox shine -> upsmashes me at a low percent, which I've seen KK do many times.

It feels as though I don't know how to properly DI versus fox (down-back isn't working too well ... should I be trying to SDI whenever possible?) and don't know when I should use my double jump to get out of his early percent combos (do I use it early on and risk getting hit and juggled without my double jump ... or when I've already eaten a ton of damage and use it during recovery).

Thanks.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I play Sheik and have a question.

Whenever I play against a top Fox and eat a nair/grab, I end up in a frenzy of hits where my percent goes from 0%~50% and then I get edgehogged and die.

When can I combo break in these type of instances? I know it's a very vague question - By combo break I'd refer to stuff like doing a nair right after fox shine -> upsmashes me at a low percent, which I've seen KK do many times.

It feels as though I don't know how to properly DI versus fox (down-back isn't working too well ... should I be trying to SDI whenever possible?) and don't know when I should use my double jump to get out of his early percent combos (do I use it early on and risk getting hit and juggled without my double jump ... or when I've already eaten a ton of damage and use it during recovery).

Thanks.
I main Fox and never have a chance to play against him that much, but when it comes to DI, I would DI up-away until closer to kill percentage where I would DI up-towards. Just my 2cents

Pengie

Smash Lord
Waveshine up air is a legit combo on Falcon/Peach/ Sheik if they don't DI the shine but it's stupidly hard to do as a legit combo, at least from what I remember testing.

mac771

Smash Rookie
Quick Question: I don't really get the point of fox's shine besides when shine spiking off the cliff. Why should I ever use a shine when approaching someone if I can use a stronger attack like a neutral aerial?

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Shine has the most utility of any move.

-offstage gimps
-shield pressure
-allows you to turn around so you can turnaround waveland on platforms, turnaround wavedash onto ledge, and turnaround bair to extend combos.
-stalls your momentum for recvoery mix ups and easier wavelands.
-hitting with fox's shine gives you stage control and often combos into other moves or puts you in a situation where you can almost always get another hit off.
-fox's shine has set knockback so using it on low percent opponents near the edge can set up an edgeguard situation.
- its hitbox comes out on frame 1 so you can spam it during combos to get out, can use it after a spot dodge, get up, get up attack, tech or literally any move you do to protect yourself from getting punished.
-it can also be jump canceled near instantly so its your fastest and least laggy move
- it can reflect projectiles and has a disjointed reflect hitbox with a certain glitch.

these are only a few uses off the top[ of my head so there are definitely even more things this move can do. Very scary attack.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Is shine -> jump -> cancel jump with Illusion (without ever leaving the ground) actually a combo on Luigi? It's so hilarious to me for some reason. If it is, are there followups from the Illusion? I can't seem to get uair (though that would be sick given how floaty he is).

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Is shine -> jump -> cancel jump with Illusion (without ever leaving the ground) actually a combo on Luigi? It's so hilarious to me for some reason. If it is, are there followups from the Illusion? I can't seem to get uair (though that would be sick given how floaty he is).
I'm pretty sure you have to leave the ground slightly so there will be less lag after the illusion. And it's percent/DI dependent but uair can combo.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure you have to leave the ground slightly so there will be less lag after the illusion.
Nah, you don't have to leave the ground to get an aerial Illusion. Try it on it's own, just jump and immediately Illusion. It's like the same timing as multishining. It's just like Falco's IAP in Brawl. Strangely Fox can do it in Melee but not Brawl.

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Nah, you don't have to leave the ground to get an aerial Illusion. Try it on it's own, just jump and immediately Illusion. It's like the same timing as multishining. It's just like Falco's IAP in Brawl. Strangely Fox can do it in Melee but not Brawl.
If you do an aerial illusion you have less lag and can follow up faster. I'm not sure if you can follow up with uair after a grounded illusion.

Last edited:

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
It's an aerial Illusion, just on the ground.
Oh, I thought using illusion the first frame out of jumpsquat would put you back on the ground like shine does, but you stay in the air. A grounded illusion would be really laggy though and cant be done directly out of shine so it's irrelevant. But yes its a true combo and the illusion can combo into aerials.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I learned how to shield drop so I could shield drop -> uair as Marth.

Does Fox have any particularly good shield drop options?

Pengie

Smash Lord
Shield drop shine is really good as a get off me tool because it's basically a faster shine OoS. Shield drop bair is good in too many situations for me to list right off the top of my head.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I was playing Falco vs. Fox against Wenbo at Xanadu. He invul ledgedashed, hit me with a shine, jumped, immediately Illusioned my missed tech. The stage was transforming from the jungle transformation so what would have normally been the top plat was in the ground. He ledgecancelled off of the plat inside the floor, and usmashed me for the KO. I just paused and looked at him, then I had to explain what happened because he didn't even know...

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Oh, I thought using illusion the first frame out of jumpsquat would put you back on the ground like shine does, but you stay in the air.
Shining on the first aerial frame after jump also results in aerial shine. It takes you 6 frames to land afterwards, so you must delay your jump 2 frames if you don't want to dj out of the shine. It just looks like grounded shine since the shine cancels your vertical momentum and you don't actually move vertically at all. I think the reason you don't land immediately is that after jump your ECB is of such a shape that you need to fall lower than ground level to land. This how the aerial illusion works too.

I learned how to shield drop so I could shield drop -> uair as Marth.
Does Fox have any particularly good shield drop options?
Shield drop aerials and dj aerials are good. You can shield drop dair or bair to punish marth's utilt on shield. I've seen armada get some crazy shield drop dair shine punishes on marth.

Last edited:

FlootsyGaz

Smash Rookie
When doing waveshine do you move the control stick to the right > neutral > down > neutral > right? Or can you just slide it over to right > down > right without going through the neutral area of the control stick? I find that the first method works more consistently for me.

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
What kind of movement is Hax doing here and how do I do it? Is he just dash dancing and wavedashing really fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcP2Ya8TXBk
Is like a dash dance with an extra tempo, serves throws the opponent out of rhythm, very tactical and you can mindgame your opponents with it. To execute you dash left or right then wavedash in place and repeat as fast as you want.

Super

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have the list of characters that you can followup after waveshine (eg. waveshine grab/upsmash) and whether you need to walk or dash to accomplish it?

CeLL

Smash Lord
Does anyone have the list of characters that you can followup after waveshine (eg. waveshine grab/upsmash) and whether you need to walk or dash to accomplish it?
Anyone Marth's weight or heavier, and just dash for them all, there's no downside.

You're not fast enough to combo the ICs or Luigi, but you can hit them with an Illusion if you really want.

Twhy

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if it is possible to actually land a shine turnaround upsmash? I did one screwing around the other day, but i'm to scrubby to make it work when actually hitting a someone.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if it is possible to actually land a shine turnaround upsmash? I did one screwing around the other day, but i'm to scrubby to make it work when actually hitting a someone.
Learn to do it against an opponent, you can use lvl1 bowser cpu handicapped (you on 1 and him on 9) or plug another controller. It can be useful sometimes when you failed to space an aerial (nair or dair) correctly or when you dair them and they have godlike SDI and end up on your back.

Top Bottom