• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

kd-

Smash Lord
It's funny coming from competitive counter-strike, where a lot of people scour for pros' config settings, i.e. game resolution, crosshair size and color, mouse sensitivity, etc.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
yeah did anyone seriously read all of the posts of "oh oh this is what I do to do my technicals" cuz I definitely tl;dr'd way through them

Gbu$

Smash Rookie
Every time I watch Jman gameplay I feel like a shallow bag of gimmicks. *sigh*
Why lol I don't do nothing special

And guys this is jman they banned me from my other account the real jman cause they thought it Wasn't me

:phone:

Spife

Smash Master
nah he's probably playing some 2d fighter

ot: how do i fox better than my opponent when we're both 2 beers in and goofing off in friendlies? These are the most srs matches I've ever tried foxing in but I always get out foxed D:

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
nah he's probably playing some 2d fighter

ot: how do i fox better than my opponent when we're both 2 beers in and goofing off in friendlies? These are the most srs matches I've ever tried foxing in but I always get out foxed D:
you do b03s for shots & make that ****er drink.

or you lose & you get drunker

win

win

edit* side beers are okay too

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Man I was kinda thinking about going to NEC, not even to smash but to kick it with PNW airdasher scene + watch marvel. But then I realized I gotta take the JLPT this Sunday. blahhh

edit: Jman you should go to that and win it lol

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8anFDlTgY&feature=plcp

If anyone wouldn't mind critiquing my noob fox that'd be great. I'm sure I'm doing things that to many of you are obviously stupid so please point those things out so I can stop.

Thanks in advance for taking the time! (and if you're only going to watch 1 game don't make it game 1 I had to warm up alone for a minute after that one I was so off.)

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline/b/342973950

4:09:46 vs Falco (bo5 MM)
2:26:50 vs Marth(bo3 pools match)

I'd really like some critique on these matches. Especially the vs Falco since that's one of my most hated match ups.
Disclaimer: I don't claim to be a Pro.

But here are some things I saw in vs falco games.

1. You need more grabs man. Your opponent had little to no problem shielding everything you did. Mix it up with more grabs.

2. I'd say waveshine waaay more often. You short hopped out of your shines a lot when waveshining would have been more effective. As fox you have to be able to tell whether your opponent will be pushed right or left, which isn't too hard, so you can waveshine toward them for the follow up. (waveshing towards them usually forces a quick response such as a roll)

3. oos options. I'd just say in general look up your options. Spotdodge+shine, Shine oos, upsmash oos etc. learn them, learn when to use them.

4. Learn how to deal with lasers. This one is hard for me too. But when he started firing those lasers you would always go straight for those platforms. Besides learning to powershield try implementing shield-wavedash oos into shield again. it lets you move through those small spaces and gives you some control back.

5. Looks like you lost your "fighter composure" after the first-second match. Don't forget to keep Dashdancing.

6. When you knock someone onto a platform they will usually do one of two things. Either they will shield, or attack (Falco usually tries to uptilt/shine to catch you off guard) Instead of throwing out a quick fullhop ariel, think about a few other options:
1. Fullhop, spaced shine, waveland in place on or across the platform and shine again.
2. Jump up, Waveland across platform to your opponent and immoderately grab.
3. Get on the platform and simply shield, choose to shield grab, upsmash oos, or shffl a bair+shine.
4. Fake that you are even going after him, just wavedash in place (to make him think you are jumping), wait for him to do something then you can do whatever like upair him.
All of these things should be presets in your mind that you choose based on, what makes sense, what your opponent has done in the past, etc.

7. Check out some new recovery options: Hang in the air in a shine before you make your move, firebird straight up and ff down, cancel your illusion, airdodge up (works if you are at/above platform height on battle field.)

Hope this helps, I spent a while thinking about it.

Lovage

Smash Hero

If anyone wouldn't mind critiquing my noob fox that'd be great. I'm sure I'm doing things that to many of you are obviously stupid so please point those things out so I can stop.

Thanks in advance for taking the time! (and if you're only going to watch 1 game don't make it game 1 I had to warm up alone for a minute after that one I was so off.)
you have some good fundamentals but your big problem was slowing down for no reason/ not committing when you should. i saw countless times you lose focus of what the situation is and do a braindead wait/dash away/empty jump. you have peach in an amazing position and you wuss out. you got lucky as **** 3rd game, that peach responded to the stage like a ****** lol, coulda gotten out of your drills so easy

Squirt

Smash Apprentice

I just did a critique so I'll keep this brief.

First off don't consider yourself a noob, improvement will come faster when you consider yourself not at noob status. It's easy to look at top players and feel that your personal improvement is not enough. I found that I advanced in skill exponentially when I considered myself a student of the game and not a noob.

1. lasers. IMO lasers are your #1 advantage against floaties. SHdoubleL is so good because it forces your opponent to either jump up or come to you and throw out easily evadable moves that can be punished. Especially peach and floaties, if you can get them above you you have control of them, upsmash and upair become available.

2. Practice the waveshine-walk-shine tech that allows you to mop peach across the entire map. It isn't that hard to learn.

3. Upsmash out of shield. So many opportunities I saw. That one time where you simply shffl a dair out of shield I was like "wtf are you doing upsmash oos damit."

I like the constant dashdancing, keep that up.

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the responses so far, they really do help me look at my own matches in different ways which is what helps me improve the most.

Lovage that last comment...did you mean the 5th game on pokemon? Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
heres a tip for asking advice: when posting videos for critiquing, dont post a video where ur "so off" game 1
Well, it's the only video I have, and there are 4 other perfectly good matches in the friendlies.

If you want to critique game 1 that'd be just fine, take my comments about being off for what you will.

Now I'm not sure if you were being sassy or not so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say thanks chillin once I get more videos uploaded I'll avoid ones that don't represent me at my best!

chillindude829

Smash Master
i wasnt being sassy, legit advice lol

if u know u have a lot of work to do, pick ur best matches for critiques so they dont just tell u to fix what u already know u did wrong

and just statisically speaking, the first match will be the one most ppl see

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
i wasnt being sassy, legit advice lol

if u know u have a lot of work to do, pick ur best matches for critiques so they dont just tell u to fix what u already know u did wrong

and just statisically speaking, the first match will be the one most ppl see
Cool cool I wasn't sure. Yeah what you said is exactly what I was afraid of haha but I didn't upload so what can you do.

Top Bottom