• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

PK Webb

Smash Champion
exposed, revealed, tru colors shown whatever u want to call it slox just took that creditability

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

my spam is endless

to avoid an infraction i will talk about Fox. He is kinda like zerg in sc2. So many banelings!!!

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
How often do you guys play smash?

How often do you guys practice techskill?

Interested in hearing from everybody.
I mostly analyze videos every day. When actually playing the game, I practice techskill and play vs lvl 1 CPUs once a week.

I don't get to play people much, but when I do, it's either at a tourney, or at my friends house usually on a day before a tourney. I would like to practice vs higher leveled players more often, but my parents won't let me go to smashfests.

:phone:

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Ehhh I can play once a week for a couple hours with some dudes.
Or I can play everyday of the week with some dudes.

It's depends on what's going on, I almost never exclusively practice tech skill I'll lose my attention span after 15 minutes.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Same way you do with everyone else, just have to do your little half circle with the control stick quicker than you would with characters like Link and Falcon. Walking in the direction you want to moonwalk beforehand helps too.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Do it out of a walk instead of a dash dance. Ex. Walk right and continue holding it. Dash left, go down far enough to register the crouch, then end with your stick held to the right.

Tero.

Smash Champion
What Stage do you guys counterpick Falco at and why?
I go FoD. Mostly because its small so he can't shut (shoot) me down with lasers and I can get him offstage fast.
Plus if the platforms are gone its mini FD and I can chaingrab/ do stuff from uthrow

unknown522

Some guy
BF. I like the platform arrangements there for constant knockdowns and combos. I also feel that it is close enough to approach, but big enough to avoid laser pressure and stuff.

IMO, DL is fox's best level in the matchup.

Tero.

Smash Champion
BF. I like the platform arrangements there for constant knickdowns and combos. I also feel that it is close enough to approach, but big enough to avoid laser pressure and stuff.

IMO, DL is fox's best level in the matchup.

I like the matchup on dreamland because I like the platforms and its possible to maneuver around falco lasers. But the stage is big so Falco has plenty of room to stay away from the edge and not get gimped and also room to laser and force Fox to approach.
I feel like on smaller stages you're always at his *** so it's easier to hit with shines and bairs and stuff.
That's why I'd rather go with FoD/BF/YS than DL.

Why exactly would you say DL is the best stage for that MU?

Also I don't think Stadium is that good against Falco.
It's large and there is no top platform which makes is harder to approach/maneuver around lasers.
The stage is also pretty large (see above) and low ceilings won't do much since most of the kills would be edgeguards anyway.

Don't know about FD. Sure you can cg all dai, but I miss those platforms and I feel like i'm vulnerable all the time (in shield or in the air)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I ban DL against falco, though occasionally I won't against aggressive players. Its too difficult to approach him when he's below a platform since jumping from the opposite platform doesn't get you into threatening distance.

YS is the stage of choice tho I like BF and PS too. FoD probably favors falco but fox can compete there too.

On PS you can jump from left platform to almost right, with the abiility to dj waveland onto the platform. This wa you have lots of options to approach and threaten.

Bones0

Smash Legend
As a Falco, my favorite stages vs. Fox are, in order:
FoD
YS
PS
BF
FD
DL

FoD is just a personal fav of mine, and most Fox players can't use low plats. I have quick access to followups because the stage is pretty small and the plats are low enough to hit tech options. High blast zone lets me live a little longer from usmash and uairs. Side blast zones let me kill Fox faster, and it doesn't affect me because Falco won't make it back to the stage before he starts dying off the side.

YS is even smaller than FoD making it easier to pin him down. Fox is good vs. lasers so I don't worry too much about losing opportunities to use them. Favorite thing about the stage is probably the low side plats that let me pressure/poke Fox from underneath with SH bair/fair/utilt instead of having to FH. Drawbacks are I am constantly threatened by getting bling-blinged off the stage in a split second. Low ceiling also gives Fox some earlier KO options, and the small plats can make it really easy for him to followup on any DI on uthrow.

PS makes lasering easier, and the lack of a top plat can help pin Fox, but Fox's punishes are super strong, and I think he's a lot better at moving around on transformations because Falco often has to do awkward FHs to get over stuff that Fox's FH is the perfect height for. The platforms are even lower than YS making those SH punishes/pokes even more deadly, and the ledge can limit Fox's options enough that edgeguarding is easier than on other walled stages.

BF is basically a bigger YS. A little harder to pin him down, but not much more room that lasers become super useful. Lack of edge favors Falco as far as I'm concerned. Fox gets much more utility out of wall riding because his up-B goes further, and Falco can't just drop down and shine spike him like Fox can when he sees Falco use up-B. It gives Falco a lot of easymode edgeguards if they are below and have to go straight up/take a ****ty angle, and it's also harder to tech. I just hate the overall layout of the plats for Fox though. It seems like he can cover a lot of options jumping off of them because they're all so close to each other, and they are high enough that it's hard to keep momentum off of tech situations.

FD is basically PS, but without those plats Falco loses his safeguard vs. fullblown chaingrabs, and I think it also hinders his combos once Fox starts falling over from everything and can just tech away and create 50-50s. Even with lasers controlling the stage pretty well, Fox's FH is just too good vs. them to rely on them, and Fox's speed lets him overtake any attempts Falco may make to back off from his space. I also thinking Fox's recovery on FD is better than every other stage. The low wall ride options are plentiful, and it simultaneously makes it easy to tech because you're almost always pushed all the way into the wall when you up-B. The lack of side plats also makes recovering impossible. Without side plats to ledgecancel (or at least threaten ledge cancels so they have to cover that option), you have to go to the ledge most of the time. Getting off the ledge is an absolute *****. You pretty much have to ledgedash or hit him as you side-B on because he can just FH bair LHDL attempts and react to the other default ledge options.

DL doesn't have chain grabbing, but approaching in general just becomes so hard it seems impossible. The platforms are sooooo high that you will never be able to land random FH shines as they are running around on them, and punishing techs is harder. Fox lives forever, and the high ceiling just means he'll be going for more sideways KOs. Lasers are very weak because the stage is actually too big, making it take up only a small portion. If you're lasering on BF, it takes out about ~1/5th of the stage vertically. On DL, that turns into about 1/10th. It just barely eliminates any options that it feels like you have to laser to make them move, and then still have to hard read their option after to get a first hit. Even when you get a first hit, the stage is so wide and platforms so spread out that sliding off from dairs instead of having to tech is really easy/safe.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Bones logic can probably accommodate that.

IIRC it was capable of justifying Falco being the best character despite also arguing that Falco loses to most of the other top tiers.

This is gonna be a cakewalk comparatively.

Tero.

Smash Champion
On another note: which Fox player plays the Falco MU best? (ideally with videos)

I remember Jman being good in that MU so I watched him vs Mango and PP. But both are just too good I guess.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones you're banned from posting in this board until you explain getting wrecked by strawhat
A combination of underestimating him because I beat him at two previous tournaments, and him improving a lot. I got caught off guard and started playing like a *****, and got destroyed as a result. It is just further motivation to improve my game, which is why I sigged it. I'm always looking for reminders to keep myself motivated. I also didn't get wrecked. It was a 3-2 set (we agreed to bo5 in pools, nobody tell Alex Strife; and Alex, if you are reading this because you name-searched... QUICK EVERYONE RUN!).

Bones logic can probably accommodate that.

IIRC it was capable of justifying Falco being the best character despite also arguing that Falco loses to most of the other top tiers.

This is gonna be a cakewalk comparatively.
A tier list isn't the same as matchups, at least by my definitions. A tier list attempts to predict results, while a matchup chart bases matchups on the best play for that matchup. I think Falco loses vs. a few of the top tiers when people who know how to play him the best, but you don't have to worry about everyone at a tournament knowing every matchup perfectly. It also works the other way in the sense that some characters have to play radically different depending on the matchup. I think this is the case for Marth. As far as I can tell, playing spacies is nothing at all like playing floaties. There are obviously some similarities, but not as much compared to Falco (imo). With Falco, even though I don't know most matchups, I can still combo everyone pretty much the same. Especially with Marth exp being my main practice, I can adjust pretty easily to comboing Ganon or Peach. The punishment tree is just a lot more similar. I also think since most people are not that good vs. lasers, you can shut down a lot of players' options with lasers instead of having to be acutely aware of their dash dance and tricks. Another huge thing to consider is player style variance. I think Falco's combination of lasers and simpler punishes makes it a lot easier to deal with new players that you aren't familiar with compared to other characters who have to pick up on habits, such as Falcon trying to hard read techs.

Top Bottom