• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
the more i play this character, the more i feel that thunder's combo is pretty mediocre outside of mixups and at 0-15 or so vs another fox

falco gets out of it so easily -___-

still tech chasable but that's frustrating
Has anyone explored double jabbing in this situation? When Falco holds up+towards after a plain old thunders, they immediately shine and it beats whatever action you attempt next. If you double jab in these situations, the increased knockback on the second hit pops up them up a bit, then YOU can shine before Falco can perform an action. Just food for thought.

(The next step in the metagame would be holding up on the first jab and CCing the second lol)

At the same time a Falcon/peach can shield your drill at that point.
If you're doing the drillshines properly, Falcon/Peach can't shield any of the drills. All they can do is try to SDI them.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Has anyone explored double jabbing in this situation? When Falco holds up+towards after a plain old thunders, they immediately shine and it beats whatever action you attempt next. If you double jab in these situations, the increased knockback on the second hit pops up them up a bit, then YOU can shine before Falco can perform an action. Just food for thought.

(The next step in the metagame would be holding up on the first jab and CCing the second lol)

If you're doing the drillshines properly, Falcon/Peach can't shield any of the drills. All they can do is try to SDI them.
Silent Wolf double jabs in Sall Systems go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58miKihjjcU

EDIT: It's at 0:17. He does it out of a missed Uthrow tech....but It'll work with a thunders.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

Didn't know that. tight

I always thought the next step in the anti-thunders metagame would be CCing the shine so you don't fall over and then CCing the jab, but it doesnt seem to have happened

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I still prefer grab to u-smash as a finisher at later percents unless the u-smash is going to guaranteed KO off the top (so u-smash starts being better at, what, 103%+?). The exceptions are random stuff like them rolling to the edge after the tech roll... I like u-smash there because grab follows are meh if they DI across the stage. Stuff like that. But even then I like alternatives like d-smash and shine just 'cuz the low angle puts a lot of pressure on Falco to recover and I tend to think going for aggressive gimp setups can be worthwhile vs him.

Winston, I was talking about drillshine > wait for them to do whatever after the knockdown > grab them. But yeah, drill grab *****. Grabbing out of the bounce is too inconsistent; you might as well up tilt, u-smash, dair, shine, etc. Up tilt leads to such amazing follows.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Do you think a talented player could go into a match like marth vs. sheik, with 0% knowledge of the match-up and still win??

in regards to the double jab during thunders,

i think that once a falco is used to it, its a better idea to just single jab, or even leave out the jab. the 2nd jab has more delay after than the first one too

it should be fine on fox tho, below like 33%

battousai555

Smash Ace
Hey, y'all. Just wanted to say that although I don't contribute much at all here, I love being a part of this community and love all of you. That is all :)
/mad bromo

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Are we on the same page??
I think?

Up smash stops your momentum a lot more than JC grab so I much prefer grab for chasing rolls. They're about equally easy / difficult for stands / tech stands and grab goes through block whereas up smash doesn't so... yeah.

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
What are the best things to do against Samus when she's above you at low (non killable) percents? I keep trying to go in to rack some % with bairs but I end up connecting with bombs instead.

Also, in general, what's the preferred method of dealing with the missiles? Nair into them to blow them up, shield, or shine them back?

And is it just me, or does Samus move back from the drill and out of shine range sometimes for no reason? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this like dairing deeper? I've noticed this playing against low level CPUs so I'm pretty sure it's not SDI.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I just feel so confused when it comes to playing against Samus.

unknown522

Some guy
stalk her form underneath and u-air or u-tilt.

Also, samus' body contortions are gay, and she will randomly dodge your shine when you hit with drills. Moving forward/following her DI is the best way to overcome this.

PS: I'm drunk.

yo man, I live by double jab

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
stalk her form underneath and u-air or u-tilt.

Also, samus' body contortions are gay, and she will randomly dodge your shine when you hit with drills. Moving forward/following her DI is the best way to overcome this.

PS: I'm drunk.

yo man, I live by double jab
yea samus body contortions are gay.

btw. LMAO I saw your jumper vids on youtube. Samus audio jumps. lol.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Garbage scoring system for a game that tries to be like an arcade game.

Infinitely respawning enemies

You have a health bar because it's not possible to dodge everything.

The game is just pretty and lacks substance
Grew up with the game, it's fun as hell. Just rush through the stage. Contra is the same way with the infinite enemies. and 80 billion times harder.

I got some fox questions.
When you do the cool shine>turn around>bair can it only be done on people that don't fall from the shine?

How DI dependent is shine>bairs?
And when you guys shine>bair what do you use? I use C-stick for bair. Is Z better in this situation?

Jasou

Smash Ace
hi, im sort of a begginer (atleast in comparison to most people here), but i was wondering if i could get some advice on what to start practicing.

heres what i already do know (please note that ima noob):
- shffling (nair, bair so far)
- L-canceling 80% of the time (i really have trouble with the drill kick)
- shine spike (not that good at it yet)
- waveshine (best was a 4 consecutive waveshine)
- M2K angle recovery with firefox
- the champ combo (dash attack-> up tilt -> uair)
- shl
- JC grab's (probably my favorite thing)
- teching (but i only do it 40% of the time, which i understand is really bad)
- edgeguard and edgehog
- shine cancelled up smash (not sure how to use it yet :/ )
- Shield grabbing

i think i got everything i know, so yeah id appreciate it if you guys could tell me what i should learn and or practice next. (i can take critiscism)

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
I think the running shine bair works on anyone if you're quick enough and if they dont di hard away. I've used it as a replacement for up smash finishes vs falco a couple times.

:phone:

battousai555

Smash Ace
I think the running shine bair works on anyone if you're quick enough and if they dont di hard away. I've used it as a replacement for up smash finishes vs falco a couple times.

Doesn't shine->up-smash work even if they DI away? If so, then running shine bair is for style points?

Brookman

Smash Hero
dash cancel, it carries momentum into the back air better.

also, check out my new sig. its ****ing great.
[COLLAPSE="****"]
how many lines of text do I need?

one more. . .

two more,

three more.. .

maybe it is about word volume and less about lines. I am very upset with the final harry potter movie. drill shine up smash that *****. lasering is good for free percents. edge guard with up + b and win games. mess up l cancel and lose games.

this is getting RIDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

more lins of text are necessary. . .

the more lins of text the better

cause there is some arbitrary requirement of content before a sig can be displayed I guess???

there are 26 characters in melee, but only 25 characters to choose from on the selection screen!! WHAT A MYSTERY. I certainly hope that my sig will appear after this edit cause I am runnign out of thoughts.dash cancel, it carries momentum into the back air better.

also, check out my new sig. its ****ing great.

how many lines of text do I need?

one more. . .

two more,

three more.. .

maybe it is about word volume and less about lines. I am very upset with the final harry potter movie. drill shine up smash that *****. lasering is good for free percents. edge guard with up + b and win games. mess up l cancel and lose games.

this is getting RIDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

more lins of text are necessary. . .

the more lins of text the better

cause there is some arbitrary requirement of content before a sig can be displayed I guess???

there are 26 characters in melee, but only 25 characters to choose from on the selection screen!! WHAT A MYSTERY. I certainly hope that my sig will appear after this edit cause I am runnign out of thoughts.[/COLLAPSE]

unknown522

Some guy
BEST ****ING GAME EVER
yeea.

Yeah I would say just stalk Samus. When she gets close to the ground just run up and Usmash her. What is she gonna do? Dair? lololol
yep yep. I forgot to mention to watch out of bomb gimmicks. They're easy to avoid, but they can catch you if you're too careless.

yea samus body contortions are gay.

btw. LMAO I saw your jumper vids on youtube. Samus audio jumps. lol.
haha, yeah man. That game is awesome. I gotta finish it.

mers

Smash Ace
How DI dependent is shine>bairs?
And when you guys shine>bair what do you use? I use C-stick for bair. Is Z better in this situation?
Very. If they survival DI for the bair, it's much easier to land. If they DI down it's significantly harder. That's why it's so easy on level 9 CPUs (plus they SDI up like crazy).

There is no best way. I use control stick jump and cstick, but there are plenty of ways that will work.

Doser

Smash Ace
Grew up with the game, it's fun as hell. Just rush through the stage. Contra is the same way with the infinite enemies. and 80 billion times harder.
It would be better if it was a Boss-rush only since that's where the entertainment is, but even then Ketsui Death Label would beat it soundly.

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
thanks unknown and doser. glad to know that i wasn't imagining things with samus's random dodging lol

well anyway i have another question:

i got a new gc controller (white one) because my old one broke and i noticed that the right trigger will sometimes just randomly start becoming kind of 'sticky'. like when i'm wavedashing or waveshining the trigger will remain a little depressed even after i've let go of it and it usually causes a shield or light shield to pop up. needless to say this has been the cause of many accidental spot dodges, rolls, and lost stocks..

ya so i was wondering if anyone else experienced this with their controllers and had a fix for it? and if so, was it specific to the white controllers?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
shine bairs can be DI dependant, but usually u can always position yourself so the shine connects properly altering the bair to hit.

hit with the top part of the shine so that they fall into the bair.

ive found canceling the shine with up and bairing with c stick works well. also good for shine turnaround bairs.

on space animals u can practice positioning your shine with up throw. so try up throw (preferably no di for practice) shine bair. eventually u will learn to just feel it out.

unknown522

Some guy
thanks unknown and doser. glad to know that i wasn't imagining things with samus's random dodging lol

well anyway i have another question:

i got a new gc controller (white one) because my old one broke and i noticed that the right trigger will sometimes just randomly start becoming kind of 'sticky'. like when i'm wavedashing or waveshining the trigger will remain a little depressed even after i've let go of it and it usually causes a shield or light shield to pop up. needless to say this has been the cause of many accidental spot dodges, rolls, and lost stocks..

ya so i was wondering if anyone else experienced this with their controllers and had a fix for it? and if so, was it specific to the white controllers?
use lube. I've solved that problem with other people's controllers like that.

I also cleaned out Jpob's controller the night before RoM3, and that fixed his sticky problem. Their controllers were all purple or black though.

Top Bottom