• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox: Advanced Techs and Tricks

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
I know, new thread, but give me a chance. Please~

Ok, with that aside, I feel like I could share some of my knowledge about fox with the community. So here you go. Some of these things, such as shine hopping, you should already know. Other things, such as IaI, you might not.

Just hear what I got to say, and then judge.

Please watch the video of each section and then read each section afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbsVbRIFlU&feature=youtu.be

Instant Aerial Illusion (IaI) @ 0:10 in video

[COLLAPSE="IaI"]Ok, this part might be controversial. The Instant Aerial Illusion (IaI) allows Fox to use his illusion in a similar fashion to Falco's IaP (Instant Aerial Phantasm).

For Falco, when he jumps and immediately phantasms, the game considers him to be aerial.
However, for Fox, when he jumps and immediately illusions, the game considers him to be grounded.

To get around this, I run off the ledge and illusion because you are aerial for a brief moment when you do that. You only need to be aerial sometime in the illusion. That's why if you do a grounded illusion from one BF platform to another, you get reduced lag (because you are considered to be aerial during the gap between the two platforms

Input: Dash towards ledge> Jump RIGHT BEFORE you reach it>IMMEDIATELY Illusion towards center of stage.

The reason why I say to jump is because you slide slightly forward when you do that. This small movement gives a greater chance at sliding off the stage to actually make you aerial.

I must say, however, that you shouldn't use this often. It IS more limited than Falco's IaP, as we can't use it freely whenever we want (you have to go the ledge, remember?). You have to stay very unpredictable (not like I was in that Ganon example in the video). Fox is a fast character. You can dash to the ledge very quickly when they don't expect it. Mix up with lasers and when they don't expect it, IaI them as they come at you.

We might get more out of our IaI than Falco's IaP if it sweet spots though. Uh... I actually don't recommend trying to sweet spot it though. It's very hard to do. I think IaI should be used more as an escape tool if you are too pressured at the ledge (Illusion does have some invincibility frames, so even if they hit you, you might go unharmed). If you do manage to sweet spot it though, you can do some interesting things.

It's sets up for (some of these might actually true combo, like upsmash did in the video):
Utilt
Upsmash
Dair
Boost Pivot Grabs
maybe SH Uairs
maybe nana combos

SUMMARY:
IaI can be used as a good escape tool when pressured. Stay unpredictable (you should be using it far less than Falco IaPs) and use it when necessary. If it so happens to sweet spot, combo them.

Notes:
*Illsuions from one BF platform to another also achieves this effect without the need to dash off the ledge of the platform. This is because you are aerial in the gap from one platform to the other.
*Illusion has some invincibility frames. idk how long they are or even when they actually begin.
[/COLLAPSE]
Shine Hopping @1:17 in video

[COLLAPSE="Shine Hopping"]You hopefully already know about this, but since I don't see many people doing it, I'll just throw this in. In no way did I discover this though.

When a projectile hits your shine you can hop, spotdodge, roll, or stay in shine. Imo, hopping is the best.

Learning to laser and maneuver out of a shine is very important.

For instance, Mario's like to approach with fireballs (sometimes one, sometimes two). If he only uses one, you can shine that one, hop out of it, and have an opening (there's a fireball on your side). If he approaches with two, you can shine the first, have the first fireball clank with the second one, and then be ready to react. If he's in distance, Dairing out of a shine might actually work here. Actually, if he approaches with two fireballs, you can jab the first, reflect the second one and hop out of shine, and then strike back.

Learning this technique is vital to facing characters like Falco, Mario, and some other characters. I know I full hopped out of shine in the video in those Falco examples, but learning how to short hop out of it is very important.

Summary: Shine Hopping is essential to out camping other opponents. If you can't do this, they can actually outcamp you, since lasers have no hit stun. Learning techniques out of shine is very important.

Notes:
*There actually are some projectiles that you can't hop out of. Olimar's pikmin is an example of this. I think this also includes Snake's nikita missle and the mortar part of hit upsmash.[/COLLAPSE]

Grab Release>Upsmash @2:12 in video

[COLLAPSE="Grab Release>Upsmash"]Ok, stuff gets good right here. Chances are, you already know an aerial release on MK is a free upsmash. You might also know that if you Grab someone and Immediately Pummel them right before they land, it forces an air release on certain characters.

Input: Grab an opponent right before they land and IMMEDIATELY pummel. Wait until they air break (don't continue to Pummel). This only works on certain characters.

You can force air releases on a number of characters, but only some of them you can combo and Upsmash from.

These characters are:
Metaknight
Solo ICs
Pikachu
Squirtle
Ness (we can also just cg them regularly)
Lucas (I think we can also just cg them regularly)
Game and Watch
edit: also works on Yoshi (VERY VERY strict timing)

On some of these, make sure to buffer the dash. (especially pika and Yoshi)

A big problem, however, is setting this up. One way I came up with is using an autocanceled SH Uair> Frametrapped airdodge> Grab. This seems to only work out of a nonfastfalled airdodge. The green light exists~ (Got idea from whoever made that Green light thread. I can't remember :\)

Other ways include:
+Alternating between Uairs and (Boost Pivot)Grabbing their landing
+Instant Aerial Ilusion
+Hitting someone with the ending part of dash attack (credit to Chef Fox for this idea)
+Shield Grabbing Mis-spaced Aerials
+out of a Utilt "lock"

Personally, every time I grab one of the characters this works on, I always buffer a Pummel, just in case I get lucky and force an air release. Believe it or not, if you actually scout out for landing this technique, it's tricky, but not all that hard to land.

Summary:
You can force Air releases and combo them into upsmash on Metaknight, Solo ICs, Pikachu, Squirtle, Ness, Lucas, and Game and Watch.

Notes
+For the sake of keeping upsmash fresh, don't always do this, even when you land it. I know I said you can do it out of a Utilt lock, but it might be better to do something else.
+ We also could simply just CG Ness and I think Lucas regularly. If they air break out of the CG though, perhaps you could react and upsmash them.
+It appears that on some of those characters, you could actually charge dash upsmash for a brief moment.
+There are some characters you can force air releases on, but can't combo them into upsmash, such as Kirby and Olimar. I haven't tested it, but our Fair might actually combo on some characters that have an air release that leaves them high in the air.
+This technique works on two of Fox's worst MUs. Cool[/COLLAPSE]

Bananas Combos and Tricks @4:16 in video

[COLLAPSE="Bananas Combos and Tricks"]This part and the next are kinda "iffy". I don't know too many nana combos (or set ups), but here are a few.

JC toss=jump canceled toss

JC toss> Upsmash
JC toss> Skid Grab
JC toss> Boost Pivot Grab
JC Down toss> Turn around grab> Pummel> dash upsmash
JC down toss> turn around JJCS> dash upsmash
Short down throw> Nair> Dash Upsmash
Short Hop down throw> Nair> Boost Pivot Grab (buffered?)

Some of those only work at certain percents. I'm not 100% sure if the last is a true combo. It seems like JJCS might not actually be a frame trap, so that one might not always work. I got the JC down toss idea from a video I seen from a famous Captain falcon player. I can't remember his/her name :\.

Some set ups:
Reverse Utilt
Instant Aerial Illusion
Alternating between Uairs and JC down tossing a nana on their landing.

Set ups are pretty hard though.

Some other stuff include this:
+If you predict a glide toss into you shield, you can OoS Upsmash Diddy if he ends up in range
+It's kinda hard, but if you predict a nana throw and shine hop one with it hitting diddy, there might be enough time and space to shine hop towards diddy> airdodge> buffer dash upsmash

I honestly don't know too much about how to deal with nanas though. Please share anything you know.

Summary:
Just read this section :\

Notes:
Uh, If a nanna hits your shield and you want to catch it, it might be better to fullhop catch it rather than Shorthop catch it, especially if he has another nana.

I don't know this MU[/COLLAPSE]

The Shine Spike @5:20 in video

[COLLAPSE="The Shine Spike"]This might be able to make a small return.

When you grab the ledge, you gain a moment of invincibility. If you jump off the ledge as soon as possible, you can leave the ledge with a few moment of invincibility frames. If you take these frames and use them with the invincibility frames of the shine, you can put yourself in the enemies recovery path and shine them.

I'm kinda short on examples though :\

With good reading, I think the following characters are somewhat vulnerable to this:
Bowser
DK
Link
Ganon
Toon Link
Maybe IC's Side+B
Fox's Up+B
Falco Up+ B
Wolf Up+B (might also work well vs his Side+B)
Captain Falcon
Squirtle
Charizard
Maybe Ike's Side+B if he does it close to stage level

Do keep in mind though, depending on conditions (such as percents), they might live the shine spike. The TL and DK examples show this well.

Summary:
Section was short. Read it :p

Notes:
None[/COLLAPSE]

Other stuff not in video

*I'm under the impression that reverse utilt is always better than a reguarly one. If you dair some, I strongly recommend that you buffer the turn around and then utilt. It combos out of dair a bit earlier, does a but more damage, has a better chance at achieving a ultilt "lock", and at mid percents it puts your opponent in a worse position than a normal utilt does. In other words, I always try to do a reverse utilt rather than a normal one when possible.
*TKD once mentioned this before. If you're fast enough, if you let go of the ledge and jump ASAP, you can land on SV's platform. Apparently, this also works on BF. On this stage, right after you let go, jump to one of the middle platforms while drifting towards it. You can airdodge for some added protection. The things is, though, we might be a little vulnerable towards the end of the airdodge. Also, you might have RCO lag, which is bad since you're jumping towards the stage on BF (rather than away from the stage on SV).Timing is strict for both.

Ok, that's all.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure grab release doesn't work on Pikachu. He goes too far and by the time we Up-smash he can airdodge. I've tried it on Anther several times but no luck. Otherwise nice thread.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
I just retested it to be sure.

It definitely does combo. The thing is though, timing is strict (WAY more so than on other characters). Make sure to buffer the dash and it's guaranteed.

And thanks for the compliment :)

knuckles213

Smash Ace
you have shown me the light to another side of fox (with grab release and nana tricks) that I have to work on, slap a 2012 on this and this is good to go, but other than that looks good. I'll probably post thing here as well once I find out new things fox can do. I think making videos of techniques is the way to go

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
you have shown me the light to another side of fox (with grab release and nana tricks) that I have to work on, slap a 2012 on this and this is good to go, but other than that looks good. I'll probably post thing here as well once I find out new things fox can do. I think making videos of techniques is the way to go
Hey man, thanks ;)
That means a lot.

I agree, vids are very important. For some reason, if no one makes a video, a technique usually goes unnoticed.

To my knowledge, only certain people could change thread titiles. Ah well...

If you find anything cool with nanas, let me know. Like I said, that MU confuses me.

And if you find other techniques, by all means, share with us~ :bee:

Kuares

Pizza
Alright with the Grab Release section, depending on what stage you're on you can use the inclines to achieve the forced air release too. Say if Fox were to grab Metaknight off the stairs on Delfino he'd get the guaranteed upsmash. It also the only way to get a grab releases on Wario short of them mashing jump.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, that's true. If I decide to add that though, then technically fox could perform this technique on a lot more characters than just wario.
edit: or maybe not. I have to check another time.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Something I found out is that you don't have to pummel Pikachu to force the grab release. Just grab out of the air and you're set. And I'm still not 100% sure it works. Could you try it on a human Pikachu please and let us know for sure? Anybody else test it please if you can. Because it seems like its extending the run U-smash too far, even when buffered.

:phone:

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Wow... it seems like this technique works on Yoshi also. How did I miss that?
Yoshi is slightly hard to connect on also. Buffer that dash for this character also.

Something I found out is that you don't have to pummel Pikachu to force the grab release. Just grab out of the air and you're set. And I'm still not 100% sure it works. Could you try it on a human Pikachu please and let us know for sure? Anybody else test it please if you can. Because it seems like its extending the run U-smash too far, even when buffered.

Yeah, I just tested it. You don't have to pummel pika. Interesting... I might have to check the other characters too.

atm, I can't try it with a human pika, but I did before. Uh... in a way though, you could test it yourself. I know a lot of people don't trust it, but for all the characters the upsmash connects on, it'll register as a consecutive hit in training mode (one of the hits being the pummel, the other being the upsmash).

Actually, if you check, pika can barely even air dodge at all. If you don't upsmash him from the aerial release, you'll notice that the earliest he can air dodge is basically right above the floor, and our upsmash connects a bit before that.

edit: It seems like it connects on Yoshi. Let me see one more time...
double edit: Yep it works on him. But oh my God, the timing is verrrrrrrry strict. Me and my bro where testing it, and I got naired many times. If you want to do it on this character, PRACTICE IT.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Wow~

I thought we could probably grab release some characters and fair them.

But RAR B-air? Dayum. This keeps getting better .-.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Omg....

I couldn't personally get the RAR bair on kirby (I didn't try olimar), but I could get fair on both.

The thing is though, I could literally combo the air release into SH Uair with ease on both of them.

Fox is getting so broken so quickly :o

We're going to have to do more testing on other characters. Maybe I could get some stuff done on the weekend.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Omg....

I couldn't personally get the RAR bair on kirby (I didn't try olimar), but I could get fair on both.

The thing is though, I could literally combo the air release into SH Uair with ease on both of them.

Fox is getting so broken so quickly :o

We're going to have to do more testing on other characters. Maybe I could get some stuff done on the weekend.
Here you go fox67

its rough draft of what I've done as far as grab release, I will edit/fix/clean up later.
some characters are harder than other to land moves on and I wont rely on grab release for your kills. sorry nothing is in order, just did this last night. feel free to correct me on some of these but these are what I tried on Lvl 9 cpu

NOTE: RAR Bair out of grab release is hard to pull off for a couple of reasons
1) you have to turn fox around fast enough to do the bair in one motion
2) its hard trying to turn him around in a short distance (action commitment/completion vs action canceling)
3) you have the aim the Bair correctly
4) sometimes your opponent can get out of grab release
5) Human player will probably read this
6) have to hard buffer (hit the control stick hard to make fox move to do the setup)
7) you have to remeber all of this and practice RAR bairing
8) My lvl 9 Cpu were jerks and wern't making it easy to get this data; they are really good a dodge and rolling out of everything I do to them. They always power shield everything :mad: and immediately react/counter right afterward. (all they do is: Nair, super roll, powershield, react fast as hell, taunt, and tea bag) :glare:
9) don't rely on grab release for kills, mainly for set ups or after the set up for a possible kill

:mario2:
- able to get the Fair combo (barely)
- Cant get the Uair
- Possible to get the RAR Bair
- Cant get the Dair
- Possible to get the running Usmash (can jump before taking the blow)

:dk2: (its hard to buffer the run)
- can get the Fair combo
- can get the running Usmash
- can get the RAR Bair
- can get Dair (barely)
- cant get the Uair

:link2:
- cant get anything on link

:samus2:
- cant get nothing on her (floats to long)

:zerosuitsamus:
- can get the running Usmash (buffer hard)
- cant get the Uair
- cant get the Diar
- cant get the Fair
- can get the RAR bair if quick enough

:kirby2:
- can get the Fair
- possible to get the Bair
- can get Dair (barely)
- can get the Uair
- cant get the running Usmash

:fox: (your evil clone)
- same as shiek

:pikachu2: (I cant believe we have something on him)
- can get the running Usmash (hard buffer the run)
- cant get the fair
- cant get the dair
- can get the Uair
- can get the RAR Bair (maybe if you were able to boost pivot turn around quick enough you might get him)

:marth:
- cant get nothing on marth (he can just fade away (space) fair you before you can land anything) (my lvl 9 cpu does it and so will a smart marth player will do it; plus the first thing there going to think is why is a fox player wasting their time grab releasing marth)

:gw:
- can get fair (buffer hard the run)
- possible to get the RAR Bair
- cant get the dair
- cant get the Uair

:luigi2:
- cant get nothing

:diddy:
- can the fair (barely)
- cant get the dair
- cant get the Uair
- possible to get RAR bair

:zelda:
- cant get anything on her

:sheik: (try it)
- sheik is by far the weirdest; her grab releasing is probably the shortest is the game(or probably its just fox). I don't know how to time it, but it’s too quick and forceful to even react off of. (one would think you can pull everything off on her)
- you can get the running Usmash, but your opponent actually has a chance to shield your Usmash (so you have to be real quick and know the timing or else you could get hard punished)
- nothing else can be done on her

:pit:
- can the fair (barely)
- cant get the dair
- possible get the RAR Bair
- cant get the Uair

:metaknight:
- running Usmash is guaranteed (this the only thing you need to kill every thing else is useless

:falco:
- the only thing we can get on him is the running Usmash, but your opponent actually has a chance to shield your Usmash (so you have to be real quick and know the timing or else you could get hard punished

:pt: :
:squirtle:
- cant get the fair
- can the dair (barely) (buffer hard)
- cant the get Uair
- cant the RAR Bair

:ivysaur:
- can get the fair
- can get the Uair
- cant get the dair

:charizard:
- can get the fair
- cant get Uair
- cant get dair

:ike:
- Can get the running Usmash
- Cant get the fair
- Cant get the Uair
- Possible to get the RAR bair
- Cant the dair

:snake:
- cant get nothing on him, but there are frame traps on him (I only know 2 of them)

:peach:
- trust me your not going to get anything on her without getting Daired or faired yourself (she a *****)

:yoshi2:
- can possibly get the bair, but you have to be quick.
- Nothing else works
- can get the running Usmash (hard buffer)
:ganondorf:
- can the running usmash
- cant get the fair
- cant get the dair
- cant get the Uair
- possible to get the RAR bair, but you have to be quick

:popo:
Popo
- can get the fair (buffer hard)
- cant get the dair
- maybe can get the Uair (if your quick enough)
- can get the RAR bair if fast enough

Nana (pain in the ***)
- ??? cant seem to figure out how to get her to react to anything
- I think we have a running Usmash on her (was able to get it, but then again I think it was a accident)

:dedede:
- can get the fair (barely) (buffer hard)
- cant get the dair
- cant get the Uair
- possible to get the RAR bair if quick enough

:wolf:(was a pain in the *** lvl 9 Cpu)
- same as falco

:lucario:
- your not going to get anything on him

:ness2:
- can get he running Usmash, but ness can air dodge it if the player is quick to input it
- can get the fair
- can get the dair
- can get the Uair
- you can get the bair

:sonic:
- can get the running Usmash (buffer hard)
- cant get the fair
- cant get the dair
- cant gety the Uair
- can get the bair if quick enough

:bowser2:
- can get the running Usmash (buffer hard) player can shield it so be quick
- can get the fair
- cant get the Uair
- cant get the dair
- possible get the RAR Bair if quick enough

:wario:
- All you need need is the grab release kill

:toonlink:
- your not going to get anything on him

:rob:
- your going to have a hard time try to getting something o him

:olimar: (**** you)
- can get the fair
- cant get the dair
- can get the Uair
- possible to get the RAR bair

:falcon:
- can the Running Usmash (buffer hard) player can shield it so be quick
- cant get the fair
- cant get dair
- cant get the Uair
- can get the RAR bair if quick enough

:jigglypuff:
- your not getting anything on this character with that vertical grab release (she can just float away)

:lucas:
- can get the running Usmash on him
- cant get the Uair
- cant get the dair
- can get the fair (barely) (buffer)
- can get the RAR Bair

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
The Bair definitely works on Kirby. I can land it consistently now. On another note, the upsmash definitely connects on Yoshi, but has really strict timing. RAR Bair also works on him and feels slightly easier (still very hard though).

Wow knuckles. That's a lot of info.
So wait, do all of these true combo, or do they only set up nicely?

The only unfortunate thing I see is that we can't force air releases on a lot of those characters. Even if we were to grab some of these characters over a slope, a lot of them are still tall enough to reach the ground (such as DK), which would prevent the aerial release (unless the mash the jump command to get out the grab).

edit: I just tried your info on pika. The Uair and Bair on him seem...impossible .-.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
We should test the RAR B-air on more characters. Just a side note though, don't rely on grab releases to get your kills. Its just something that's there if you need it.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
The Bair definitely works on Kirby. I can land it consistently now. On another note, the upsmash definitely connects on Yoshi, but has really strict timing. RAR Bair also works on him and feels slightly easier (still very hard though).

Wow knuckles. That's a lot of info.
So wait, do all of these true combo, or do they only set up nicely?

The only unfortunate thing I see is that we can't force air releases on a lot of those characters. Even if we were to grab some of these characters over a slope, a lot of them are still tall enough to reach the ground (such as DK), which would prevent the aerial release (unless the mash the jump command to get out the grab).

edit: I just tried your info on pika. The Uair and Bair on him seem...impossible .-.
ya, my problem right now is trying to do the RAR Bair out of grab release in one motion without fairing or rolling. this stuff is hard, its just trying to pull this stuff off in a match vs a human (harder to just let this happen to them) is going to be really difficult.

If you can do a set up to get the grab release RAR Bair or running Usmash yes its a true combo. for example one of your banana combo; lets ay you kick diddy or set him up to slip on his own bananas (from your video) mixed in for a set up grab release, you have a free kill. everything has to be done in one motion (perfectly executed (meaning you have to get the grab release)).

Pika: sorry typo on Uair, bair it seems possible if you practice really hard to get it, but I don't think it is either

yoshi: I edited it

ya we reallly cant force a grab release on most these character :(, but its good to know what you can do when you get it tho. I tested all this on FD, other stages we might not get the same results. slopes don't really help us in this process and neither platforms. best stages to try these on are neutrals when the plateforms are out of the way.

Somehow we gotta force of hand (force the opponent into hit the jump command when grabbed)

I will go back and retest for te RAR Bair consistantly as back up for running Usmash if we cant get it. I wanna be able to land all of these. I'd say focus on the more important character to try to land most of these (the ones you go against often or bad MUs)

TKD where are you

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Uh, I'm having trouble testing grab release ideas with a partner. Do you guys think it's acceptable to use the consecutive meter in training mode to test things?

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Uh, I'm having trouble testing grab release ideas with a partner. Do you guys think it's acceptable to use the consecutive meter in training mode to test things?
what do you mean?

and I have another idea as far as RAR bair, yea I know were on the subject of grab release, but I had got and idea from RAR bair. I dont know if I'd call it a true combo, but it could do some bit of wrecking if done right.

well while I was in training mode I decided to dthrow to RAR bair (and it works on most characters if you get the quick timing) instead of the common dthrow to fair and what I found out about it is (if people don't already know) that fox can (after the grab) RAR bair his opponent into another grab or get the horizontal launch for a kill. I was able to do the same thing only twice in a row cause the stage wasn't big enough for a continuous.

For mix ups with Dthrow RAR Bair you can:
(after you Bair your opponent)
- re-grab (at low to mid %'s)
- turn around and laser them (at low to mid %'s)
- Nair (at low to mid %'s)
- Usmash (at low to mid %'s)
- Dsmash (at low to mid %'s)
- Shine (at low to mid %'s)
- Jab cancel

I not sure if this will be that useful, but its got to know

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Decided to make another video about grab releases.

I remember once reading in TKD's thread that if we do the aerial release on MK, we could actually CG MK(similar to Sheik's CG on MK). Apparently it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6P_geZeadI&feature=youtu.be

I haven't tested to see if this works on anyone else.

I left the consecutive meter open to show some other combos that don't involve upsmash. But there seems to be a problem. I think the consecutive meter counts everything as a combo out of an aerial release until they touch the ground. This means that some of the previous things I said in this thread might need retesting. All of the characters I said upsmash works are definitely fine, but Yoshi might need resting (I tested Pika with a human). If your going to check to see what works and what doesn't out of an aerial release, using the combo meter might be a bad idea.

BlizzyWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlizzyWuff
Oh my this stuff looks epic, must try the CG on Mk and those nana combos are amazing, I play a Diddy main all the time so I gotta learn that, wont know what's hit him ^^
Keeping an eye on this, I fail at finding out new things, though

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Oh, forgot to mention info about the CG.

• You MUST buffer the dash
  • Dash grab DOES NOT work. You MUST skid grab
  • Obviously, the grab release must be aerial
  • Timing is very strict. Practice the CG before you actually use it in real battle

If you grab MK normally (such that they wouldn't normally air release), you can test to see if they mash jump to get out of grabs. The fact that you can actually CG them into an upsmash (rather than just simply upsmash them) might make this actually worth it to test on your opponent.

The only other way to set up the CG is to do the method I posted in the video.

As far as nana combos go, I haven't actually tried to do them in real battle lol (haven't played a diddy in awhile). They do work, but they probably are hard to land. Just look for opportunities and hopefully you'll get something.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda afraid to bump this thread, so if I should leave it around, please let me know

Nothing advanced, just going over some unique basic ledge options as fox and a few others that aren't popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOzgRZwrwQ

Fox67890 said:
Just a quick video I made showing Fox's ledge options. The majority of it is basic stuff though. Made this to help newer foxes and somewhat to answer a question.

*I generally ignored RCO lag in explaining these, but it does make a difference in a lot of them*

Personal thoughts:
*Bair from the ledge is... mediocre. It's not too reliable. Maybe it works really well without RCO lag
*I reaaaaally like ledge jump+shine. It's very underused and pretty good. Too bad it can't be buffered :x
*If the opponent is a distance from the ledge, lasers are actually pretty good. You can hit an opponent with potentially three of them (depends on height) while coming onstage. Bad things happen if you use this variant on "bad" ledges like FD, PS1
*Illusion to platform actually works pretty well. Maybe that's because I do too much wifi?
*The platform cancel technique I showed on SV is amazing and isn't hard to do at all. I highly recommend it
*If you don't have RCO on the ledge (on BF), the last technique I showed is also pretty good.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
dont bump, people probably read this tthread. that vid was nice, only thing I wish was in it was guarding against tethers, espically olimar's tether.

Also I saw that vid your fox vs a falco, you could of had those match; less shielding more punishing.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
lol, you saw those vids? I think I could have done a lot better, but I guess I can't really john about wifi and stuff. I was unsure if phatasm on shield was punishable or not though and it was my first time playing a good Falco.

I actually played the same falco again recently and lost in game 3. Went to last stock every game. Maybe next time...

But yeah, I'll let this thread die now.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that was wifi. I've never been to anything offline. I'm a wifi Fox ;_;
...Did it look like it was offline? I'd be pretty proud if it did lol

I know you can interrupt his phantasm (such as dairing his phantasm will give him RCO lag), but once it actually hits your shield and it ends, can you punish it from there with shield drop> dash attack/ upsmash? I dunno...

knuckles213

Smash Ace
no wonder why you were shielding a lot (Wifi), a wifi fox is hard (urg). well it was probably a replay edited to look like it was offline. I 'm pretty sure your state has tournys you can go to, try and check them out.

for his phantasm

Nair - you could follow up with a Usmash/grab/dash attack

Utilt - (easier to do) - you could follow up with a Usmash/grab/dash attack. I think maybe JJC if close

Dair - you have to time right other wise falco will go right through you

go with which is the fastest input on wifi (beasue that wifi lag)

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I've been out the game for a minute and it's so nice seeing the Fox thread making excellent progress. Definitely impressed with the GR information with the variety of characters.

Top Bottom