• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
^ Ha, that link made me laugh so hard. :)
Sweet, and now...

*damatic music*

I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!

You're reading into it too much. They do not matter because they hold irrational views about how the Smash community should be conducted. It's as simple as that. Their views not mattering because they don't matter is a consequence of the first part of your sentence.
I see what you're saying, but I believe you're reading too much into single viewpoints. Somebody can be intelligent and have single rather irrational viewpoints.

Also, it can come from a fundamental disagreement about what consistutes "banable". Which is why we debate them.

To show that their ban criteria is too loose and give them a chance to change sides.

Yes. You've spoken fairly well if I might say so.
Seriously Pierce? Lots of determination there, props dude.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
yes! I Finally Finished Reading Everything. Took Forever. Reason That I Wasn't Here Right Away Is Because I Went To Inui's Last Night To Train With Him And Atomsk. I've Almost Always Been On The Fence Leaning Towards Anti-ban. Though I Know I'll Be Happier If Mk Gets Banned, I Generally Don't Feel He Deserves It, Especially When Taking Into Account Snake, Falco, And Ic.

I Had A Lot To Say, But After Reading Everything (you May Note I Only Posted Once On Page 75 Pertaining To The Op) I Decided It Would Probably Be Better To Just Frestyle My Reply Instead Of Multi-quoting The Whole Thread.

First Of All, I'm Going To Be Brutally Honest. Over 98% Of The Players That Have Posted In This Thread Have Very Little Idea Of How To Play This Game. A Lot Of The People Who Are Pushing For A Ban Are Not Even Close To Fathoming How Broken Mk Actually Is, And Want To Ban Character Who Is Probably Actually Broken, But Not Even Close To Broken On The Average Level Of Play.

When Talking With Atomsk About The Ban Last Night, After Asking Him What He Thought, He Rebounded The Question On Me, Pondering My Own Opinion. To That I Simply Answered, "if There Were About 5 Players At M2k's Skill Level All Using Mk, It Would Be Stupidly Obvious That Mk Is Ban-able." As It Stands, Right Now, No One Is Playing This Game At Even Close Of A High Enough Level That We Need To Ban Anything. Hell, Bridge Of Eldin Could Be Legal But I'll Still Beat 90% Of King Dedede Players With Marth, Because People Just Aren't At My Level And That's Not Even The Highest Level. If M2k Is An S-class Player, I'm Probably Only B-class. 98% Of Players Are C-class And Below, So Banning Stuff Seems Really Silly When Talking About The Highest Level Of Play, Because It Simply Doesn't Matter, And Top-level Play Is Still Too Unexplored, As All The top Pros Keep Saying.

I Played Atomsk's Mk Once Last Night In A Friendly. He's A Better Player Than Me, No Doubt. He Also Used A Lot Of Characters, And Was Able To Show Me How Terrible I Was At The Toon Link Match-up, And We Had Very Much Fun With Snake Vs. Marth, Going Nearly Even In That Match-up. His Mk Destroyed Me Stupidly Fast, No Questins Asked, And That's One Of My Best, Most Experienced Match-ups. I've Only Fought Two Mks That Destroyed Me So Thoroughly: M2k, And Neo. However, I Don't Use These Experiences To Say That The Character Should Be Banned. Mk Is Marth's Worst Match-up, And These Are All S-class Players That Either Know The Match-up, Or Have A Relatively Good Idea Of How Mk Can Over-power Marth. I Should Expect To Get Destroyed By Players Two Classes Above In My Character's Worst Match-up.

I Think That If There Were More S-class Players That Decided To Use Mk, Then We Would Have A Significant Issue. However, I Don't Think That 22% Of Winnings Is Too Much For The Best Character In The Game At All. Saying That It's 1 Character Out Of 36 Is The Stupidest Argument Ever. I Could Ban Three Of The S-tiered Charactered, And I Still Wouldn't See The Vast Majority Of Low Tiers Taking Tournaments. All Considering, If Good Players Are Present, Only S-tiered Characters Should Realistically Win An Entire Tournament. That Being Said, 22% For The Best One Seems Quite Reasonable For An S-tier Of 6 Characters.

Now, As For Mid Level Play? Seriously, This Is The Primary Reason Why I'm So Fence Ridden. The Middle Level Of Play And Call Out From The Community Is Stupidly Over Looked. A Lot Of People Argue That We Shouldn't Cater To The Middle Level Of Play, Because Ideally We Want Everyone To Graduate To A High Level. wake Up Call, We Don't Live In An Ideal World Where Everyone Improves Significantly Overtime. This Will Not Happen. Seriously, If You Pay Attention, The Same People Have Been Winning Since The Beginning With Merely A Very Few Players Clicking Into Their Place And Being Able To Class-up As A Player. How Can You Not Have Noticed That Despite The Fact That Some People Play This Game Everyday, Really Care, And Want To Get Better, They Still Are Around The Same Skill Relative To Everyone Else. Yes, We've All Leveled Up As A Community, Learned New Ats, And Most Of Us Have Better Spacing, Recognize Very Common Senerios, And Have Some More Tech-skill Than When We First Started, But You're Not Being Honest With Yourself If You Really Think That People Significantly Improved. Some People Do, Most People Do Not. If You Did, You Would've Placed Well In Tournament By Now, And Results Wouldn't Look So Familiar. The Fact Of The Matter Is, M2k Was Probably Better Than 90% Of You Are Now On His Second Month Of Playing Brawl.

That All Being Said, It Is Still Very Important To Acknowledge The Importance Of Mid-level Play And It's Players, Because There Would Be No Scene Without Everyone, And They (you) Are Still Extremely Crucial To The Community.

Conclusively, I Think That At Top Level Of Play, Mk Is Ban-able, However, There Is Little Evidence To Back This Up, And Even I'm Not Knowledgeable Enough To Want To Pull A Trigger At This Point In Time. This Is Especially True When You Consider That M2k Hugely Developed Mks Metagame At A Stupidly Rapid Pace. Ally Is Doing The Same For Snake, But Snake Is Extremely Limited Once He Gets Hit, And Is Prone To Melee Style 0 To Deaths By Many Characters Once More Players Graduate To That Level. (i Say Melee Style Because Unlike 64, You Aren't In Straight Hitstun, But It Is Strings Of Hits, Reads, Combos And Chases, Which Ultimately Leads To Death.)

While I'm Talking, I Might Want To Bring Up My Opinion That While Mk Really Does Cripple Mid-level Play, Ice Climbers Are Potentially Doing The Same Thing To High Level Play. Just Food For Thought. I'll Be Around The Thread.
U Rock:)

10 Rocks...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I must admit, it was quite strenuous to read through all the trolls, especially ThreeThreeThree (I'm name dropping as evidence I read through, else I would not know of his existence). I didn't sleep last night because Atomsk is too fun, but I got home, read, slept, and then read. I left off at page 84 yesterday before I left for Inui's.

@Ophelia

Perhaps. I second guess myself a lot though. I also draw opinions from players I respect, and just all players in general, so it's not like it's only what I think. Play me sometime, and see what you think.
Lol don't mindgame yourself too much.. you'll turn into a robot that way or just go insane. Just have a clear thought of what you want and go for it.

Edit: For example, me being a warrior.. I show it clearly and want everyone to know about it loll.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
When talking with Atomsk about the ban last night, after asking him what he thought, he rebounded the question on me, pondering my own opinion. To that I simply answered, "If there were about 5 players at M2k's skill level all using MK, it would be STUPIDLY obvious that MK is ban-able." As it stands, right now, no one is playing this game at even close of a high enough level that we need to ban anything. Hell, Bridge of Eldin could be legal but I'll still beat 90% of King Dedede players with Marth, because people just aren't at my level and that's not even the highest level. If M2k is an S-class player, I'm probably only B-Class. 98% of players are C-Class and below, so banning stuff seems really silly when talking about the highest level of play, because it simply doesn't matter, and top-level play is still too unexplored, as all the TOP PROS keep saying.
And if there were about 5 players at M2K's level not using Metaknight, we wouldn't be having a ban MK debate because there would be fierce competition among those 5 players, winning and placing incredibly high in national tournaments nad Metaknight wouldn't seem nearly as "unbeatable" as he is now. It's really a two-way street here.

I think that if there were more S-class players that decided to use MK, then we would have a significant issue. However, I don't think that 22% of winnings is too much for the best character in the game at all. Saying that it's 1 character out of 36 is the stupidest argument ever. I could ban THREE of the S-tiered charactered, and I still wouldn't see the vast majority of low tiers taking tournaments. All considering, if good players are present, only S-tiered characters should realistically win an entire tournament. That being said, 22% for the best one seems quite reasonable for an S-tier of 6 characters.
Thank you.

Now, as for mid level play? Seriously, this is the primary reason why I'm so fence ridden. The middle level of play and call out from the community is stupidly over looked. A lot of people argue that we shouldn't cater to the middle level of play, because ideally we want everyone to graduate to a high level. Wake up call, we don't live in an ideal world where everyone improves significantly overtime. This will not happen.
The ones who do improve significantly are the ones putting work and effort into improving their character every way they can. The people who don't improve (I mean game-play wise, not placings-wise) are lazy. Simple as that.

Seriously, if you pay attention, the same people have been winning since the beginning with merely a very few players clicking into their place and being able to class-up as a player. How can you not have noticed that despite the fact that some people play this game everyday, really care, and want to get better, they still are around the same skill relative to everyone else. Yes, we've all leveled up as a community, learned new ATs, and most of us have better spacing, recognize very common senerios, and have some more tech-skill than when we first started, but you're not being honest with yourself if you really think that people significantly improved. SOME people do, most people do not. If you did, you would've placed well in tournament by now, and results wouldn't look so familiar. The fact of the matter is, m2k was probably better than 90% of you are now on his second month of playing Brawl.

That all being said, it is still very important to acknowledge the importance of mid-level play and it's players, because there would be no scene without everyone, and they (YOU) are still extremely crucial to the community.

Conclusively, I think that at top level of play, MK is ban-able, however, there is little evidence to back this up, and even I'm not knowledgeable enough to want to pull a trigger at this point in time. This is especially true when you consider that m2k HUGELY developed MKs metagame at a stupidly rapid pace. Ally is doing the same for Snake, but Snake is extremely limited once he gets hit, and is prone to Melee style 0 to deaths by many characters once more players graduate to that level. (I say Melee style because unlike 64, you aren't in straight hitstun, but it is strings of hits, reads, combos and chases, which ultimately leads to death.)

While I'm talking, I might want to bring up my opinion that while MK really does cripple mid-level play, Ice Climbers are potentially doing the same thing to high level play. Just food for thought. I'll be around the thread.
I have no complaints here. Good to see you on the ball as usual, Pierce.

Really? +1 to my list of characters that should never lose to that.

Which is a lot larger then my list of characters that should lose to it.
Ganondorf doesn't lose to the tornado. You know why? WARLOCK PUNCH! I mean, THIS IS SPARTA! *Boots Metaknight's Tornado*

I'm sorry Clai, that's not correct, time it takes to learn match-ups isn't really the issue, it more how overpowering MK is when played right.

And we're asserting that he isn't powerful enough to justify a ban.

Saying he still takes time to learn doesn't change the core issue.
The fact that Metaknight takes time to learn affirms that you can't just pick up Metaknight and win. A good portion of the pro-ban movement is based on their statement that Metaknight destroys low and mid-level play by players who pick up Metaknight and magically win when they couldn't do that with anyone else they use. If Metaknight needs time to develop before he reaches this "overpowering level," how is he different from other characters who only become awesome after a significant amount of effort (Melee Fox comes to mind)?

I never claimed MK to be "broken" in the SF2 Akuma-sense (i.e. auto beats everyone).

Rather, MK is just far better than the rest of the cast. I claimed he is "broken" with me defining the term to mean something that is out of place with the rest of the game, not something that is unbeatable.
You're trying to BAN a character here. Try to understand the implications of this. In order for a character to be unfit for competition, he HAS to be deemed unbeatable to the point where the dominant thought of low and high-level players alike is the only way to beat this character is to use the character itself. And saying that MK is far better than the rest of the cast is a subjective thought and many people, including myself, disagree with this.

MK being forced to learn matchups doesn't hurt this point at all.
Did you even READ the first post argument?
Yes. In fact, I read every post in this thread. Want me to refute the points on the first post as well, because I can if you want me to.

The rest of it is ChiboSempai's post from the BRoom, reposted with his permission. I'll let him defend it.
*groan* I've already argued enough with Chibo about this subject. I want to argue with someone new.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Yes but people acting cocky when they can't write define irony. Only an idiot capitalizes every word. :laugh:
That...wasn't Pierce's doing. It happened when the person that quoted him replied in all caps. It automatically does that to prevent "shouting." It's a crappy forum feature that shouldn't even be on, but w/e.

As someone who knows you in real life, YOU need to learn YOUR place. You are a typical tier *****, nothing more.
Incorrect! My place is at the top of doubles and hosting. Your place is beneath my boot, filling my wallet with your entry fee!

If I am nothing but a tier *****, explain my consistent dominance in low tier tournaments.

That is called being talented and diverse, fool.

Who cares if you met me IRL? The sad thing is, you know me and who I am, and I have no idea who you are. It is because you are nobody and I am somebody.

UltimaX

Smash Rookie
That...wasn't Pierce's doing. It happened when the person that quoted him replied in all caps. It automatically does that to prevent "shouting." It's a crappy forum feature that shouldn't even be on, but w/e.

Incorrect! My place is at the top of doubles and hosting. Your place is beneath my boot, filling my wallet with your entry fee!

If I am nothing but a tier *****, explain my consistent dominance in low tier tournaments
You're last place on the tier list, fool.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Inui, don't you main Ike in low-tiers?

That's low-tier-w***ing! :mad:

Wait, the guy above me makes sense, you suck so bad you don't even play yourself in low-tiers.

UltimaX

Smash Rookie
I think it automatically does that if you post in all caps. I don't think anybody would purposefully capitalize every word. "sigh"
You must not visit GameFAQs. That place is 99% attention whores and trolls who have done things just like that. It's why I've started going to other places.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
You're last place on the tier list, fool.
Who...cares? It doesn't mean anything.

Inui, don't you main Ike in low-tiers?

That' low-tier-w***ing! :mad:
I got third in singles and second in doubles using all Ganondorf before, and he's the worst character in the game, so...

Yes, I do main Ike low tiers, but in the tournaments I enter, Sonic is legal, and he is much better than Ike.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The fact that Metaknight takes time to learn affirms that you can't just pick up Metaknight and win. A good portion of the pro-ban movement is based on their statement that Metaknight destroys low and mid-level play by players who pick up Metaknight and magically win when they couldn't do that with anyone else they use. If Metaknight needs time to develop before he reaches this "overpowering level," how is he different from other characters who only become awesome after a significant amount of effort (Melee Fox comes to mind)?
only a terrible pro-ban argument would consist of such a thing.
Low level players mean little.

Learningn cuve means nothing, if it can be done, it will be done.
Fox is impossible to perfect due to the requirement needed to master him.
metaknight does not have this issue.

So the learning curve is irrelevant in this case.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ganondorf doesn't lose to the tornado. You know why? WARLOCK PUNCH! I mean, THIS IS SPARTA! *Boots Metaknight's Tornado*
Lol, I know. It's so cool to do.

Only the stupid players make complete pick-up and play argument.

Most are arguing about high levels of the metagame and more effects for the same level of skill.

It's because he's intelligent and good.

People like you...need to learn what their place is.
Inui, nice to see you're around, I actually saw people saying the pro-banners are arguing more intelligently then the anti-banners, even though pro-ban is wrong.

As someone who knows you in real life, YOU need to learn YOUR place. You are a typical tier *****, nothing more.
Seriously?

Inui's an amazing player, but he's a heck of a lot better then you'll almost definitely ever be, even when he was a marth main.

His posts on this topic have also been a lot more substantial then yours on the topic, and that's REALLY what matters here.

Edit: Sure, he's elitist, but at least he has the **** to back it up.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

If I am nothing but a tier *****, explain my consistent dominance in low tier tournaments.

Who cares if you met me IRL? The sad thing is, you know me and who I am, and I have no idea who you are. It is because you are nobody and I am somebody.
Wow wow.. be nice now. Wouldn't you rather be known as someone to look up to instead of an *******?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Uh, Inui played Marth before MK, as well as Snake and Pit. He switched to MK because it's the SMART thing to do, but he still had significant accomplishments with Snake and Pit WAAAAY back in the day, and is a moderately skilled player.

Also, that was not my fault that the person quoting me decided to capitalize my post, which is clearly not all caps.

Also Stingers, I realize that I am probably often mis-interpreted as cocky because I always talk about things from my own personal point of view. This is because I feel giving my input from my own POV ADDS to the discussion, as generally things such as common facts about MK and his effects on the community, etc, is usually already iterated. By adding in my own POV, I give a unique dynamic to my post, make it more interesting to read, and get more information out. It's worth the penalty of seeming cocky, even if I'm not trying to be so.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Wow wow.. be nice now. Wouldn't you rather be known as someone to look up to instead of an *******?
No, he wouldn't. And I can't help but agree with him more the more I read this thread.

And to think I used to criticize him for being elitist. Silly Cyan.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Eh... Not really. Gaining such an image has been impossible for me since around 2007.

I don't mind being the heel. I embrace it at this point.

Pierce7d said:
Uh, Inui played Marth before MK, as well as Snake and Pit. He switched to MK because it's the SMART thing to do, but he still had significant accomplishments with Snake and Pit WAAAAY back in the day, and is a moderately skilled player.
Yeah, lol.

My Pit did super good the first few months of the game and my Marth has won many tournaments and I got 5th at FAST, the largest Brawl tournament of its time, going almost all Marth. My Snake has done crazy stuff in the past and present (beat teh_spamerer 3-1 in a set, twostocking him twice, yeeeeeaaaaah).

I'm not just a tier *****. :(

I use Ganondorf the most in Melee. :)

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
*troll detector explodes*

!
Because its low tier tournaments. =)
Strop trolling him so hard.

SIK BRN!

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
MK may not be easy to pick up but once you play enough good metaknights, are good at the game, and have picked MK for about a day, you will know what to do. No other character is like that. Most characters have some obvious flaw that is easy to exploit if not perfected.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
MK may not be easy to pick up but once you play enough good metaknights, are good at the game, and have picked MK for about a day, you will know what to do. No other character is like that. Most characters have some obvious flaw that is easy to exploit if not perfected.
No.

I could go into detail about this, but it's so obviously wrong that I don't feel the need to.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Eh... Not really. Gaining such an image has been impossible for me since around 2007.

I don't mind being the heel. I embrace it at this point.

Yeah, lol.

My Pit did super good the first few months of the game and my Marth has won many tournaments and I got 5th at FAST, the largest Brawl tournament of its time, going almost all Marth. My Snake has done crazy stuff in the past and present (beat teh_spamerer 3-1 in a set, twostocking him twice, yeeeeeaaaaah).

I'm not just a tier *****. :(

I use Ganondorf the most in Melee. :)
Only idiots or supremely sage people don't change. Everyone should change all the time for the greater good imo. But that's just my view on life and all the warrior stuff. =P Ya.. using Ganon in melee at high level is probably easier because there's less things you need to worry about such as input problems and be really quick with your fingers and all that. Obviously, there's still the speed and priority problem but who cares.. Ganon is the **** and I contributed greatly for him to be 8th best character in the tier list. I'm definitely proud of that.

So on other subject... basically, you just choose a character that you are comfortable with as a player. I don't want to hear character johns because it is the player that chose that character in the first place.. if you don't switch when you lose then too ****ing bad for you, keep losing lol. (To those bad matchups) It's just MK have been developed way more then the other characters right now because he is the most used imo. So.. I think MK should not be banned that quickly. It's been now almost one year and a half? Just wait until a new player that comes around and dominates with a mid tier or high tier character.. I would like to see that if possible. =P Like a new Mango.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
The only thing I remember about Inui is that he looked like he was about to cry when he messed up the brackets at ch4.5
What? Why would I ever look like I'm going to cry?

The program crashed when I simply hit "save."

It was going to happen to the next person who did anything regardless.

Being a tio betatester and someone that uses the program a lot, I understood this.

It wasn't my fault at all.

Also, remember when Atomsk and I won doubles at that event? It was awesome.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
seriously dude

seriously?

you're not even that good. didn't you lose to like, ****ing, some 10 year old fox player? get out of here.
Does it really matter? What really matters is you, right now... if you have time to post on the boards, instead go play some smash and increase your level. lol.

I had to do that.

Edit: That's a ****load of medals lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom