• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fountain of Dreams

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
These days it seems like it's better idea to ban FD over FoD, especially against Spacies. I'm also starting to see a lot of Falcon's strike to FoD first game (Ex: Darkrain vs Fiction), Falcons banning FD and letting their opponents take them to FoD (Ex: Scar vs Zanguzen), and Falcons actually liking FoD and utilizing shield drops (Gahtzu & Gravy).

Would it be a good idea to go FoD first game to get it out of the way? That way, assuming you go to 3rd game...

Scenario 1:
If you lose game 1, win second game, and ban FD, it reduces the stage choices your opponent can make for the last game with FoD and FD out of the way.

Scenario 2:
If you win game 1 and ban FD, lose second game (and your opponent has reduced stage choices). and then you have stage pick for the last game.

Last edited:

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Banning FD vs Falco has always been a staple for me. Unless you're super good at powershielding, lasers really shut you down. Besides most falcos are crap on FoD lol

vs most other characters it's not that big of a deal though. I could consider banning FD vs Pikachu, but Fox/Sheik are definitely manageable on that stage (as with FoD) and it mostly comes down to your play style and preference.

More falcons do need to stop thinking of FoD as a crap stage though!

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
I think I'm gonna start doing this tbh. Except Samus cause you can usually get either FD or Battlefield from them.

Even if you don't like FoD, it's probably better to get it out of the way game 1 then there counterpick. Also against Puff and Peach, I'd rather go to FoD than Dreamland anyways.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I usually do this for myself:

Ban FD against:
Pikachu
Peach
Ice Climbers
Donkey Kong
Doctor Mario
Mario

Ban FoD OR FD depending on you and your opponent's styles (ie. campiness, shield and shae drops, powershielding lasers):
Fox
Falco

Ban Yoshi's Story:
Ganon (or FoD)
Marth

Ban FoD:
Sheik
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Falcon ditto (if the opponent is better than you on that stage)

=====================================================================

That's all I can think of right now, in general, if someone has really good chain grabs vs falcon, just ban FD.

Going to FoD vs spacies is currently a gimmick imo. You're really choosing between two bad stages. Both FD and FoD are disastrous vs spacies but FoD is a tiny bit better. Right now FoD has a surprise factor as a lot of not up to date players are surprised that falcon players can actually handle and maneuver on FoD. There are a lot of cool gimmicky tricks that makes it the lesser of 2 evils compared to FD. But if a spacie knows how to abuse FoD vs falcon, you'll have a very tough time. Especially if they camp the low platforms. But you can try to just wait it out I guess.

However, if you can handle FD well by having very strong punishes and deal with lasers well, then I think FD is manageable vs spacies. Hax frequently goes to FD first game vs spacies back when he played Falcon.

Last edited:

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
It comes down to your playstyle... If you suck on FoD, ban it. If you suck on DL ban DL.

Top Bottom