• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forward FORTRESSHOG™ - Easy Setup to Never Fail

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I found a setup to never miss Bowser's riskiest tech, edgehogging facing the ledge at full speed. The technique I knew was to do a "rotating movement" when you get near the ledge, but it's dangerous and requires too much precision. I don't know if it's known yet, but new player will have a better reach at this difficult technique. :083:

~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~

First of all, how do you even Fortresshog? Well, it's pretty simple! All you have to do is to input upB, and then hold this angle:
(technically the first notch) toward the ledge and then fall - you should grab the ledge. You can do it from any distance with your spiky shell facing the ledge, or on the early frames of the upB with your nose facing the ledge.

You can do it from even farther from backward by increasing the angle on the stick, as you slow down when the animation end, but is it way more risky and requires much practice. (Or you can follow my guide below lol - also viable for when facing the ledge!)

You can grab the ledge from anywhere at any speed on Yoshi Story and you will never fall!!! Except for one frame when facing the ledge. (Be careful, don't be too greedy because it hurts to get that one frame ;_; )

~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~

For the setup now!

Step 1: Do the actual upB. Pretty straight forward, use grounded upB when standing on the floor. You may want to dash toward the ledge first if you are too far, because you won't grab the ledge.

Step 2: Flick the stick to the left/right. You want to do it as quick as possible to get max speed to intercept the opponent's ledge grab.

Step 3: Near the ledge, move the stick to the top right or top left notch.(depending on which side you are facing the ledge - top right = ledge to the right / top left = ledge to the left) You should slow down just enough to grab the ledge, but make sure to input the direction before you leave the ledge lol.

Here's an exemple in case you have no clue what I'm talking about. Let's say you're running toward the ledge to the right, and you want to grab the ledge:
1. You are running toward the ledge:

2. You input upB: (Yep you can do it at this angle, but not lower as you will trigger sideB. You might wanna be careful here.)

3. You get max speed from the upB:

4. Right before the ledge, you slow down and grab the ledge: (Simply hold this angle)

As you can see, this pattern is super easy to remember, and with a bit of practice you should be able to do it with your eyes closed. I hope it brings light into many Bowser player's plays.

Go rekt those silly Cpt. Falcon now :083:

Ps. If you jump from the ledge with a % lower than 100 on Yoshi Story, you will do a no impact landing on the platform. You can then follow with an instant upB, shield or Koopa Klaw.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I thought this was like the standard way to foward fortresshog, no?

....also USE teh COOL UB3R TECH NAME FORTRESSHOG™ (FH). Edge-hogging is a term for those lame viable tier characters.

If I'm not mistaken full speed Foward FH no matter what technique used still has an SD danger to it because it's distance limited, too far and it you can't grab the ledge and it has some mid ranges where you also can't grab the ledge unless you are going very slow (which basically means it's not mid range anymore but mid-long to long because of the actual FH duration)

Me personally I use forward fortresshogging like DJ Nintendo does, I like to Dash/run/WL/WD > teeter cancel into instant FH. This leaves other options open and it leaves the person trying to recover in an ambiguous state. Once you start a long range forward FH you are locked in and the opponent sees this as well. (I've noticed DJN at very short ranges will just diagonal Up-B and hold the angle 'til he hogs)

When I'm dashing/running closer to the ledge I still have the option from teeter cancel to drop fair, drop DJ retreat fair/Dair/uair, or instantly Ftilt, Utilt, Dsmash, Upsmash, dash turn bair, dtilt depending on what they try.

Long distance I personally like to always dash turn backwards Up-B since you only lose a frame or 2 and you can grab ledge easier from pretty much any distance. It also feels like I can grab it from faster velocities and with more consistency (I haven't tested the speed part in comparison).

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I thought this was like the standard way to foward fortresshog, no?
I guess??? I've never seen this setup anywhere tho, so I had a hard time doing my thumb rotation to slow down lol. And I guess it's a nice guide to new players, as I would've loved to see this a few months ago.

....also USE teh COOL UB3R TECH NAME FORTRESSHOG™ (FH).
:083:

~~~~~~~~

Actually, running is much slower than movement speed with upB, and doing a pivot right before the ledge not only eats some frames, but you also risks to dash in the other direction and miss the fortresshog and cry. ;_; But of course, it is way safer, and I still use it. But sometimes you need those few extra frames to get that kill.

Should I list all of the options tho? I feel like it's going to be confusing o_O

But yep, with that great setup here, you should never miss it, unless you start from too far. I feel like the optimal distance for this setup is from the middle of the side platforms on Battlefield (same distance for the other stages, except for Yoshi lol.). You know those two darker lines each side of the middle of the stage? Well, you can pull it off from as far as here, but I don't recommend it lol.

I'm gonna update the guide just a bit...

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
If you test it I think you will find that running or initial dash into teeter cancel instant FH is actually about the same as what you are describing in the OP. Mostly because you are forced to slow down your velocity during Up-B to FH from longer distances, it may feel faster but many techs have that speed illusion. And with the F FH you actually float a bit more than the teeter FH either direction. But to each their own, there isn't a definitive objective right or wrong way way of course. There are thse weird mid distances where the F FH doesn't work though and you SD, at least in my experiences.

I do find Backwards Up-B from max distance is actually one of the fastest ways to grab ledge from farthest away and it's pretty much guaranteed if you know the distance window.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
The only thing I don't really like about this is the whole "slowing down" thing. It isn't really necessary since you can just FH normally by holding diagonally toward the first notch and just using ubB later than you would if facing backwards. It's much faster and, imo, easier. Probably safer as well once you've gotten the technique down.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
The only thing I don't really like about this is the whole "slowing down" thing. It isn't really necessary since you can just FH normally by holding diagonally toward the first notch and just using ubB later than you would if facing backwards. It's much faster and, imo, easier. Probably safer as well once you've gotten the technique down.
That’s what I said? Actually, if you tilt the stick just a little farther than the first notches, when you reach the side of the ledge you fly away. ¨Slowing down¨ actually means putting back the stick on that notch. You don’t lose any speed from doing the usual way, in fact you get to the ledge faster because you tilt the stick at a 90° angle, getting more speed, then ¨slow down¨ right at the ledge.

Maybe it’s not clear o_O *starts to panic*. Man if there’s a way to rephrase this plz halp.

Maybe I should just do a video to showcase what I’m doing. (If I can get a recording setup)

Top Bottom