• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FORTE feat. M2K, DoH, Sung, Texas' Best, and a $500 pot bonus - December 21st, 2013 - Austin, TX

MT_

Smash Ace
Austin Melee TOs Present

FORTE
A Texas Melee Tournament
December 21-22, 2013
Austin, TX

apex2014_logo_qualifiers_sm.png

I am proud to announce that Forte will be an Apex 2014 Qualifier! This means that the top 8 placers at this tournament will earn seeding points for Apex 2014, the biggest tournament series for Melee out there.

Tournament Organizers: JOS (210)420-3619, MT (713)302-7592, Tirno (832)283-5117, Oracle (PM)​
This tournament is featuring a $500 pot bonus sponsored by the Austin Melee community and the UT Smash Club. This money has been collected over the series of many past tournaments in the form of membership fees and venue fees.​
Venue:
Welch Hall (WEL 3.502)
105 E 24th St
Austin, TX 78705

WEL 3.502 is one of UT's largest lecture halls with a capacity of 216 people, featuring a medial console with a dual projector.

[collapse='pictures of the venue']
Outside

Inside

Left/right white walls on top will both be projected on

[/collapse]

Parking:
You can park at the Brazos Garage which is about a 5 minute walk away from the venue. An all-day parking rate is $18 (which can be split between a carpool); keep in mind that this tournament has NO VENUE FEE. If you do not want to pay for parking, you can go west of Guadalupe St. to find free street parking. Depending on where you park, the walk will be 10-20 minutes. Due to many UT students being out of town for Christmas break, the chances of finding closer parking (on the 10 minute side) will be much higher than normal. Setups can be dropped off at the venue and will be taken in by a TO so you will not have to carry TVs for long walks.

On Sunday (NOT Saturday), parking along Dean Keaton (borders the north side of campus) is free and would only be about a 10 minute walk to the venue from there.

Schedule (tentative):
Saturday:
Doors Open/Registration Begins - 9:00am
Melee Doubles Registration Ends - 11:00am
Melee Doubles - 11:30am
Project M Registration Ends - 12:00pm
Project M to top 32 or 16 Begins - 12:30pm
Melee Singles Registration Ends - 3:00pm
Project M put on hold - 3:30pm
Melee Singles Pools 1-8 - 4:00pm
Melee Singles Pools 9-16 - 7:00pm

Sunday:
Doors Open - 9:00am
Melee Singles Top 32 Bracket - 11:00am
Melee Crews/Finish Project M Bracket - 2:30

Pricing/Payout (including $500 pot bonus!!):
Venue Fee - NONE!
Melee Singles - $15
Melee Doubles - $10 ($20 per team)
Project M Singles - $10

Melee Singles: [with $375 in pot bonus]
1st = 50%
2nd = 25%
3rd = 12.5%
4th = 6.5%
5th = 3%
5th = 3%

Melee Doubles: [with $125 in pot bonus]
1st = 55%
2nd = 25%
3rd = 12.5%
4th = 7.5%

Project M Singles:
1st = 50%
2nd = 25%
3rd = 12.5%
4th = 6.5%
5th = 3%
5th = 3%

Setups:
Austin Melee will provide 10-15 setups for the tournament, but we will want and need more. To Texas Melee scene: PLEASE SUPPORT THIS TOURNAMENT BY BRINGING A SETUP! I want to have around 20-25 setups for this tournament to make it run smoothly and give everyone opportunities for lots and lots of friendlies.

A work order has been put in to the university to lock the the room where the event is going to be hosted at precisely 11:45pm on the night of the 21st. This means that all the equipment will be secure through the night, and the room will be unlocked the following day at 9:00am.

Tournament Format:
The Melee doubles tournament and Project: M tournament will be run through a double elimination bracket with all finals, semi-finals, and losers quarters being best 3 of 5 sets. All other sets are best 2 of 3.

The Melee singles tournament will be run through 16 round robin pools of top 2 advancing into a 32 man double elimination bracket with all finals, semi-finals, and losers quarters being sets 3 of 5. All other sets are best 2 of 3.

We will be using the official APEX ruleset for both Melee AND Project: M. (the APEX website is currently down but if you have specific questions regarding the ruleset then direct all Melee questions to MT and Project: M questions to Oracle)

The Project: M tournament will be running version 3.0.

Additional Rules:
  1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.
  3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.
  4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag and equipment. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible, keep an eye on your equipment and always check to make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be restarted because of these problems.
  5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
  6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO’s discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
  8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  10. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player’s ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
  11. Although a rarity in melee (regarding textures and other game hacks):
  • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
  • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO’s discretion.
Stream:
This tournament will be streamed at http://www.twitch.tv/texasmelee

Travel:
Austin's airport is the Austin/Bergstrom International Airport (AUS). It's located about 20 minutes from the venue, but Austin TOs and/or community members will be more than willing to pick up/drop off people at the airport.

Megabus also travels to Austin from San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas if you are traveling from within Texas.

Housing:
The following people from the community are willing to house people from out of city and/or out of state. Post in this thread or contact them in order to request housing! Out of state players will get priority housing.

MT - (713)302-7592, can house ~8 people [FULL]
Arc - (512)689-9474, can house ~4 people [FULL]
JOS - (210)420-3619, can house ~8 people [FULL]
JCast - (832)528-5929, can house ~3 people
GSO - (631)245-0886, can house ~5 people
Sizzle - (512)948-2858, can house ~4 people [FULL]
Tuesday - (512)968-0621, can house ~10 people [FULL]

**Admiral - (713)417-1101, can house ~20 people at a location ~1 hour away from the venue [FULL]

Last edited:

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely going to this if I'm done with mid terms

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
We haven't given PM any serious consideration yet, but if there's demand and time/space available, we would consider making it a side event, I think.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Ah!
AH!

A tournament that isn't four hours away and gives me ample time to schedule around work! The excitement I have now is unrivaled! If you guys decide to host Project M, I'll happily see about attending, and I can promise at least 1 setup, maybe two.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
This needs some national recognition. Spread the word, people!! Texas hasn't had anything BIG in a very long time.

MT_

Smash Ace
Announcing that PM Singles has officially been added as a side event at Forte!

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
This is exciting! I've been wanting to go to a melee tournament for a long time, I'll be sure to make it.

wyleepirate

Smash Rookie
Count me in. GL EVERYONE.

Also if anyone wants to spar some melee in the interim, I'm more than down. I've been playing on and off for 6 years, and have moderately solid tech skill/understanding.

I will bring a melee setup, T.O.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I am planning on coming to this even though I am super broke; not 100% sure i can make it yet but i'm 75% sure i can...will have to revisit budget once december pops up on the calendar...and if i am able to i am 100% sure that it is what i'll be doing. not sure how many oklahomies I'll be dragging with me.

1) who wants to house us? would be 4-5, oklahoma is notorious for not being able to get more than 1 car together.
2) anyone interested in teaming? some of you fools may not know how beastly i am in 2v2, those people shall find out next month.
3) have you spammed this across KC/Arkansas/Louisiana yet, MT? I have good rapport with the first 2, would love to see the entire southwest and the west of midsouth (can't imagine TN wanting to drive 15+ hours) all turn out to something.

MT_

Smash Ace
I've spammed it in Arkansas and Louisiana but not KC (?). I don't know anyone from Arkansas so I'm not sure they are interested, but I know there is some interest from Louisiana's TaylorHJ and maybe a couple others. I think it would be awesome if we could get all of the southwest to this, but I don't have the relationship with any states other than Oklahoma and Louisiana unfortunately. If you could help spread the word that would be awesome.

As for housing, I suppose you have first dibs on whoever you want to stay with from the people listed on OP. if you don't feel like choosing I can pick for you lol.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i'll leave it up to any of the hosts themselves to accept, don't want to impose on any specific people haha. we oklahomies are good guests though!

i'll post this weekend to all the peeps that used to come to my tournies when i TOd, then. this is 7 weeks away but i'm still pumped.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
booo, sorry MT and my other TX homies. i'll be in court (i'm not being tried or anything don't worry haha) friday the 20th and afterwards will probably have to do related stuff as opposed to hop in a car right afterwards and drive down. i'm still going to try to organize an OK car and get some presense here, as well as contact other scenes i am close to this weekend. good luck all, i'll still be lurking and supporting, and hopefully can see some of you in march.

wyleepirate

Smash Rookie
What are the top 3 airports (in order) that i should think about flying into for this? (the 3 letter digit/code I mean)

if i came id prolly stay a week or so since that's how it's the cheapest.

Probably Austin-Bergstrom International. It's just southeast of town, and the tourney's being held in south austin anyways.

If you want some advice about good restaurants in town, just ask. I've lived here my whole life, and up in north/central, there's some really incredible vietnamese/chinese/persian food. Not really sure what you eat, other than the palpitating hearts of your enemies... lol

Also, not that I think you'll have that much trouble finding someone to crash with, but if you do, I'm moving into a new house with a friend of mine in a couple of weeks, and we'll have a spare bedroom which you'd be welcome to.

Party on, garth.

MT_

Smash Ace
Updated with pictures of the venue.

SETUPS!
To those of you who have said they are going to bring a setup, THANK YOU! To everyone else, PLEASE bring a setup if possible! And if you're going to bring a setup, please post in this thread to let me know so I can get a reliable count on how many setups to expect.

Only a month and a half away!

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
MT_ said:
Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned.
I'm assuming this includes holding down L/R while plugging the controller in so it only works while fully pressed. I just want to make sure I'm clear on this.

Also I have a friend who is planning on going with me, he usually uses a wavebird. Are those allowed?

MT_

Smash Ace
That is correct about the holding down L when plugging in the controller.

Wavebirds are allowed.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad someone brought up the controller thing, because I actually didn't notice that. I'll have to start practicing with an non-Frankenstein controller, I suppose. My companions and I use GC controllers with no springs in the L/R for PM since there's no light shielding. I'd like to ask on that to be sure since we are going to be playing exclusively PM, but I'll assume that we are unable to, for the time being.

And just to reconfirm, I will be bringing a full setup, and if all goes well, so will one of the folks coming with me.

TranqJim

Smash Cadet
This is dope.. I wish there were ones like this in the northwest area. Lots of smashers over here and a good community that would benefit from a tourney like this

MT_

Smash Ace
TOs have discussed and said that exceptions will be made for the whole holding L/R while plugging in your controller thing AND removing springs from the L and R button.

MT_

Smash Ace
Added exact distributions of the pot bonus between singles (75%) and doubles (25%).

Top Bottom