• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For those who main Yoshi, who is your secondary and why?

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I have seen this sort of thread about other characters so I wanted to do one for Yoshi. There may already be one and if there is, I’m sorry but this is just something that I have been wondering about for a while.

I have only gotten into competitive Smash recently and one thing that I have noticed about many pro Yoshi players such as Suarez, Raptor and Burntsocks, is that they never use anyone but Yoshi. Why do Yoshi mains, at least these particular ones, not have a secondary? I have always been curious about this ever since I have started watching really good Yoshi players.

To Yoshi mains who read this, do you have a secondary? If so, who and why? If not, why not? For me, my main secondary is Palutena. On top of being a character that I really love to play as, she has really good zoning options and she covers some of Yoshi’s tougher matchups. She and Yoshi are two very different characters, but they work well together as my secondary and main respectively.

Thank you guys.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I have seen this sort of thread about other characters so I wanted to do one for Yoshi. There may already be one and there is, I’m sorry but this is just something that I have been wondering about for a while.

I have only gotten into competitive Smash recently and one thing that I have noticed about many pro Yoshi players such as Suarez, Raptor and Burntsocks, is that they never use anyone but Yoshi. Why do Yoshi mains, at least these particular ones, not have a secondary? I have always been curious about this since watching really good Yoshi players.

To Yoshi mains who read this, do you have a secondary? If so, who and why? If not, why not? For me, my main secondary is Palutena. On top of being a character that I really love to play as, she has really good zoning options and she covers some of Yoshi’s tougher matchups. She and Yoshi are two very different characters, but they work well together as my secondary and main respectively.

Thank you guys.
I'm a Yoshi main, and I secondary Dark Samus. I don't know why, I just think she's fun.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I have only gotten into competitive Smash recently and one thing that I have noticed about many pro Yoshi players such as Suarez, Raptor and Burntsocks, is that they never use anyone but Yoshi. Why do Yoshi mains, at least these particular ones, not have a secondary? I have always been curious about this since watching really good Yoshi players.
From my experience (and from what I've seen), Yoshi players generally have trouble switching to other mains for whatever reason, and that might extend to getting secondaries. I think that's been the case for a while, but in Ultimate, Yoshi seems to be considered solo viable (i.e. he doesn't require a secondary to win in tournaments), which probably adds onto this.

I don't have any secondaries for multiple reasons, though a big one is that I've had a history of pulling out secondaries in tournaments and losing, and that can make losses feel even worse. If I have one character I dedicate my time to, then losing with them makes me truly feel like I gave it my all, while losing with a secondary makes me wonder if I could've won just by sticking to Yoshi.
It's also easier to improve with just one character rather than juggling multiple movesets, and learning to overcome harder matchups rather than dodging them with secondaries should help you become a better player.

But yeah, just my thoughts.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Link works well for me. It's nice to have a backup character who can play more defensively and force approaches--especially against sword characters whom I hate having to approach. Also Link is really fun in this game which helps.

Lunar Eclipse

Smash Rookie
Interesting info here.
My secondary is Zelda. No reason other than me being an LoZ fan and Zelda was my favorite of the bunch for her spamming capabilities (I like to annoy my opponents)

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
My secondary is Pikachu :ultpikachu:, because he is my 2nd-favorite Nintendo character. I have multiple secondaries, but Pikachu is the highest priority out of those secondaries.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I main :ultkirby: with :ultyoshi: and :ultkingdedede: as secondaries
Btw I'm doing a fanfiction of my mains having hilarious misadventures
Edit: It's a different one this time: Yoshi, Kirby and DDD go on a quest to defeat the Shake King and save the land of Omiya (that's where it takes place)
Title of the fanfic: The Puffball, the Dinosaur and the King

Synopsis: "When the land of Omiya is threatened by the tyrannical Shake King and his army, a small pink creature, a green dinosaur and a hammer wielding penguin must team up on a quest to defeat him."
More information on this very soon.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I don't know yet if I main Yoshi or Pit in Ultimate (as of the writing of this I don't own the game) but for the sake of the conversation I'll say I 'secondary' Pit as these two characters are ones I've always really enjoyed and done well with.
Lets say I have an aggressive opponent, I'm likely using Yoshi in that situation as he outpaces many characters who try approaching him. However, if the matchup is giving me difficulty, the opponent can wall out my Yoshi and play the patient game more effectively than me, or I feel I could close out stocks even sooner by getting easy off-stage KOs with Pit (especially against low recoveries) then I'll switch to him.

GenMuH

Smash Rookie
Yoshi has been my main since 64, never had a secondary since no one else ever appealed to me, but Joker is in Ultimate now so, he's my first ever secondary,

Odme_

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7210 5421 0646
For a while I only used Yoshi because he was so different from any other character with his double jump/recovery, but then I played Falco in Melee for a bit and decided to make Falco my secondary in Ultimate because he's sort of like Yoshi in the fact that he can jump incredibly high and is focused more on aerial game than ground.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
I just like using Yoshi as a secondary because, well, I just like Yoshi. Yoshi being good in this game is just a bonus for me.
But when I'm actually trying to win in say a tournament. Yoshi is a good foil because Yoshi can do decently against some of Ness' not so great match-ups, like Lucas, Game&Watch, Villager, etc.

leppy

Smash Cadet
:ultivysaur: This guy won me one, nearly two matches against a semi-serious (but amateur, he and I were going to the same high school at the time) SSBU player, about 10 years after I last played any Smash game. The only reason I lost the second match was because I accidentally ended up swapping out to charizard mid-way through. I actually used to main him, but eventually got a lot better with yoshi than him and switched out.
I actually don't have a secondary for 64 yet, I'd guess probably Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

InstantKarma

Smash Rookie
I think it can be difficult to consistently play other characters back to back once you get used to :ultyoshi:'s frame 1 combo breaking double jump. But I personally believe that at top of top play, :ultyoshi: does need a secondary to cover high/top tier matchups with large disjoints like :ultlucina:, :ultcloud:, maybe :ultpalutena: etc. Personally, I've been fluctuating between secondaries. But right now in using :ultyounglink:because his projectiles can out range swords and quickly chain into conversions into safe damage and kill confirms. Plus he's fast like :ultyoshi:, but has strengths that :ultyoshi: lacks, like more grounded options, and combo throws to punish shields.

Top Bottom