• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the Love of Books!: Looking for a good read?

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has already been posted before. Also sorry for the over-a-year reply, but I really wanted to throw my suggestion in here.

I'm gonna recommend a book I read a few years ago called Theft of Swords. It's actually a compilation of two books (I believe there's a couple sequels) that just generally had a very good story with great writing. It follows the adventures of these two mercenaries who (in the first book) get framed for the murder of the king. I personally think it's a must-read if you're a fan high fantasy and well thought out stories.

4ntarianSP4CE

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6188-3854-4790
Not sure if this has been posted yet, mostly leaving it here since its an essential for the cyberpunk genre. That, and its what got me reading for the sake of entertainment again after nearly a decade of ignoring literature. I would've never read this if I hadn't seen Akira and Ghost in the Shell to be honest, reading books honestly isn't my thing. I'm just a slave to the cyberpunk genre, its honestly better than most fantasy settings while not being too far out into the future for me to lose interest 100%.

The scenario at the beginning of the story is very reminiscent of the beginning of "Escape from New York." Y'know, Snake Plisskin? Kurt Russell? Very similar sort of intro and set-up, even if it takes a whole chapter or two in the book to get to that point. I wouldn't be surprised if Escape From New York got the idea for the intro from this story.

Last edited:

MeltyBrain

Smash Rookie
I'm into philosophy and psychology, especially when regarding memory and habitual development. I've started reading the denial of death by Earnest Becker. It's definitely a challenging read due to its subject matter but I've been getting a lot of important information out of it. Been helping me out with things I've been struggling with in the past.

guyonthedock_js

Smash Rookie
I'd recommend the Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer. That, and I'm sure it's already been suggested pages back, but the Ready Player One book. It was so much better than the movie.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I’m currently reading The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. It started off pretty slow, but it has gotten better. It is not a page turner by any means, but I’ve read worse.

alexandrite92

Smash Rookie
I'm looking for a suggestion that is similar to the works of Haruki Murakami and Nisio Issin. I pretty much read their novels although I'm still waiting for the complete translation of Nisio Issin's Katanagatari and Zaregoto.

Top Bottom