• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Smash 6, Would You Rather The Roster Focus On...?

For Smash 6, Would You Rather The Roster Focus On...?

• Accurately Representing The Franchises In Smash

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • Diversifying the Characters Represented within franchises

Votes: 55 32.7%
  • A more balanced franchise representation

Votes: 41 24.4%
  • More fun movesets that use Nintendo/3rd Party Characters as a basis

Votes: 42 25.0%
  • Adding more fan-requested characters

Votes: 62 36.9%
  • Adding more obscure characters

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • Adding more recent characters

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Adding more legacy characters

Votes: 38 22.6%

• Total voters

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
In Smash 6, we need more balanced franchise representation, and more proposed characters.

Another good idea would be to represent Non-videogame franchises that have had significant videogame history, by limiting it to only Assist Trophies and Spirits. But no fan-made franchises would be allowed.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The "more balanced franchise representation" principle is fundamentally a terrible idea, because it means setting an arbitrary and unnecessary limit on character additions that can potentially interfere with the developers' creative input to appease a small group of vocal people, who are merely concerned about how numbers stack on a scale.
For example, when Ridley and Dark Samus were revealed, some vocal fans wanted to have three more character additions just for the sake of getting even with Fire Emblem; or at least to have FE cut three of their characters so that it could have the same number as Metroid. It's a self serving ideal that doesn't enhance anyone's experience of the game.

It's unlikely that a this point the developers of Smash sit down and argue how to add characters in even proportions like saying "I can have Mewtwo or Lucario, but not both" but instead "What interesting things can we bring to the table with this or that character". There were points in the past when Sakurai for instance would withhold adding more Kirby characters to Melee due to concerns of over representation, which was a shame because that would have meant missing out on Dedede and Meta Knight if he hadn't changed his mind later on.

Last edited:

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
They should only keep the Smash Wii U characters and modes then focus on adding more types of modes to play and fix the dodging so a action can be performed after it.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
They should only keep the Smash Wii U characters and modes then focus on adding more types of modes to play and fix the dodging so a action can be performed after it.
get rid of krool and ridley your nuts

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I only wants a multiplayer that works properly.

And a proper campaign mode.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I would love obscure franchises to get represented, like Style Savyy, Doshin The Giant, Chibi-Robo, Hanafuda, Nintendo Toy, Waverace&1080° and Big Brain Academy.

They all meant to casual players. And some of them are fun, like Big Brain or Style Savyy. And they can bring interesting and original movesets. So I hope that Sma6h will have these series in mind. Other than that, I'm okay with Ultimate (just please add more modes, like Smash Run. And bring all assists back).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Another good idea would be to represent Non-videogame franchises that have had significant videogame history, by limiting it to only Assist Trophies and Spirits. But no fan-made franchises would be allowed.
No. This is a terrible idea. Please stop bringing this up.

There will never be a NVGC in Smash. Sakurai has said this. We have gone through five Smash games and one DLC wave, and there has never, not once, been non-video game representation. Even in the form of an assist trophy or a spirit will go against the one rule that Sakurai follows and open the floodgates the hundreds, potentially thousands of characters that I think we can all agree don't belong in Smash. What you're suggesting goes against the core belief of Smash: a video game crossover and nothing else.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Getting rid of Snake, Wolf, the Ice Climbers, Ridley, K. Rool, the Belmonts, and the Inklings is a terrible idea. I'm glad every veteran is back along with some fan favorite newcomers because I wouldn't trade what we got for anything.

I would love obscure franchises to get represented, like Style Savyy, Doshin The Giant, Chibi-Robo, Hanafuda, Nintendo Toy, Waverace&1080° and Big Brain Academy.

They all meant to casual players. And some of them are fun, like Big Brain or Style Savyy. And they can bring interesting and original movesets. So I hope that Sma6h will have these series in mind. Other than that, I'm okay with Ultimate (just please add more modes, like Smash Run. And bring all assists back).
Me too. I would most notably love to see more Japan exclusive franchises to make it's way into Smash so my boi Goemon can be in the roster.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
honestly I prefer less of rep from franchises I never heard of

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Honestly I think diversifying the roster is a really good idea. I like Pokemon's selection of characters, because they all feel unique and special in their own way, with each one bringing a new set of moves and play style. (Except Pichu, because he's stupid.)

Fire Emblem is a series that is HORRIBLY represented, considering there's so many different classes and weapons in the game, yet we have 5 lords, a mage, and a manakete. And all of them use swords. What ever happened to axes and lances? There's also bows and other weapons to choose. Half of the series is represented with echoes and semiclones which doesn't help either. 6/7 of them have counter as a down special. 4/7 have dancing blade as a side special. Representation wise, the best choices would be Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin to keep the FE roster more diverse, while adding new FE characters that would bring something brand new to the table. Either that, or you could declone some of the echo and semiclone characters to keep them more unique.

Zelda is another example of bad representation. We have 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and our main villain is a Captain Falcon clone. I'll cut Sheik a break since she's actually unique. Ganondorf was added last second due to time constraints in Melee, but he's had 3 more games to get decloned and have a unique moveset. Instead, he's been getting slight adjustments every game to make him slightly less similar than Captain Falcon. Also, 3 Links? I get that everyone is here, but this is ridiculous. What's next, CDI Link? They all play very similarly, with mostly slight differences. Regular Link is the most unique with the remote bomb, but Young and Toon Link have many items and abilities to use from their respective games. It's a missed opportunity. Why can't Young Link use the many masks he finds throughout the game to use different abilities? I'd be cool with cutting one, and decloning the other Link, while adding some new Zelda characters that would bring a new set of moves, such as Skull Kid, Midna, or Ghirahim.

I hope Sakurai takes these things into consideration when developing Smash 6, but the dude needs a serious break, and this game is amazing as is. But I still like a lot of these characters, even if they are missing a lot of potential.

Also, I'd love for more fan favorite requests to finally be able to make it in.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choice for the roster of the next possible game, would be character diversity.

Mario and Pokémon has gotten a lot of fighters, but the fun should not stop with those. Fawful and Lugia would make fun additions to the roster, and what makes them great choices is that Fawful represents the Mario and Luigi RPG Series, while Lugia is a Legendary Pokémon from Generation 2.

Dixie Kong would also be a nice choice, to strengthen the Donkey Kong Country franchise representation.

However, there is a few more franchises that need more characters as well, so I made it simple.

Another F-Zero character, because it's been 20 years since a character from this franchise debuted in a Smash Game. My personal choice would be Bio-Rex, but Black Shadow would work as well.

Give Sonic a second character. While Knuckles would be my next choice of a Sonic Character, Shadow would be easier to implement. But both wouldn't hurt.

Another Legend of Zelda character, with Midna being my next choice.

Another Kirby character, being both Bandanna Dee and Adeline. Bandanna Dee would be easy, but Adeline would be a unique fighter.

This is amoung the possibilities for the future, but who knows who would show up.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Nintendo should just hire a lot more people and just take the full nuclear option and add every character from every franchise already in the game. Just for the WTF moment it would create. That way Geno would actually get in and people can chill :p

Uffe

Smash Hero
Reduce the roster size to about what Sm4sh was before DLC and focus on balancing characters. I'm not saying bring back every character that was in Sm4sh by the way.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think that reducing the roster size to put a focus on competitive balance is a bad idea. Balance is meaningless by itself, and having a large cast with different playstyles is far more important because it increases the replay value of the game and gives players a diversity of options.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that devs should throw balance out of the window because that can cause problems like it did in Brawl. One should like a game based on the enjoyment they get out of it, but if your aspiration is to see a Smash game where every character has near equal chances of succeeding at top level tournaments, I would question if you like the series that much to begin with. They might achieve that if they make everyone a variation of Mario though.

Ultimate has actually done good so far because despite having over 70 characters no one is considered as extremely good like Brawl Meta Knight or Smash 4 Bayonetta or as extremely bad like Brawl Ganondorf. At least for now.

I also don't see Zelda's multiple Links as "poor representation" because that series warrants such an inclusion. Link is different from Mario, Kirby and Samus. In every Zelda game, Link is almost never the same individual, so you would be hard pressed to choose a "true" Link for his Smash inclusion. They all share the same fundamentals and fighting style, mainly because every 3D Zelda game used the combat mechanics established in Ocarina of Time as a template for future releases. True, each game has an item or ability unique to that game, but aside from tehm, the Links tend to maintain a constant with each other in their sword fighting and items such as Bow, Boomerang and Bombs. All three Links in Ultimate are faithful to their source material and efficient at using it as well.
In spite of being fundamentally similar to each, their stats and proportions ensure that the play differently from each other from the most part. So there is certain uniqueness in their style for those who bother to look further into it.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Definitely more fan picks, half of us have waited for a decade just for our popular wants to finally make the cut, it’s not fair to discard those that have asked since Brawl just for the sake of “representation” or “relevancy”.

That said, balance would ideal between fan picks, new IPs and shock choices.
You mean like finally putting in Ridley, King K Rool and Simon Belmont? As well as every last one of the veteran characters and echos of other wanted characters thrown in as well as some newer popular picks of the Inkling and Isabelle?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly I think diversifying the roster is a really good idea. I like Pokemon's selection of characters, because they all feel unique and special in their own way, with each one bringing a new set of moves and play style. (Except Pichu, because he's stupid.)

Fire Emblem is a series that is HORRIBLY represented, considering there's so many different classes and weapons in the game, yet we have 5 lords, a mage, and a manakete. And all of them use swords. What ever happened to axes and lances? There's also bows and other weapons to choose. Half of the series is represented with echoes and semiclones which doesn't help either. 6/7 of them have counter as a down special. 4/7 have dancing blade as a side special. Representation wise, the best choices would be Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin to keep the FE roster more diverse, while adding new FE characters that would bring something brand new to the table. Either that, or you could declone some of the echo and semiclone characters to keep them more unique.

Zelda is another example of bad representation. We have 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and our main villain is a Captain Falcon clone. I'll cut Sheik a break since she's actually unique. Ganondorf was added last second due to time constraints in Melee, but he's had 3 more games to get decloned and have a unique moveset. Instead, he's been getting slight adjustments every game to make him slightly less similar than Captain Falcon. Also, 3 Links? I get that everyone is here, but this is ridiculous. What's next, CDI Link? They all play very similarly, with mostly slight differences. Regular Link is the most unique with the remote bomb, but Young and Toon Link have many items and abilities to use from their respective games. It's a missed opportunity. Why can't Young Link use I'd be cool with cutting one, and decloning the other Link, while adding some new Zelda characters that would bring a new set of moves, such as Skull Kid, Midna, or Ghirahim.

I hope Sakurai takes these things into consideration when developing Smash 6, but the dude needs a serious break, and this game is amazing as is. But I still like a lot of these characters, even if they are missing a lot of potential.

Also, I'd love for more fan favorite requests to finally be able to make it in.
Fire Emblem only has four Lords, not five. Also cutting clones won't create room for unique characters.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You mean like finally putting in Ridley, King K Rool and Simon Belmont? As well as every last one of the veteran characters and echos of other wanted characters thrown in as well as some newer popular picks of the Inkling and Isabelle?
Um, yes? That’s exactly what I meant by balance but there were only 6 newcomers in total due to Everyone is Here.

I’m all for recent picks for the casual public and an obligatory WTF pick but for a larger newcomer line-up next time, wanting the majority to be fan picks is my preference.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I definitely would be against "A more balanced franchise representation", as it implies removing established characters simply due to an appearance of "over-representation". Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor and all that.
I feel the same way when people say no more 1st gen Pokémon, Mario characters, and anime swordfighters because we have "too many". :rolleyes:

I don't care if we have "too many". I want Meowth/Team Rocket and Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette, dammit!

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
I personally think that Chrom is a more important character to the franchise than Corrin, Ike, or Robin, since he's basically the face of Awakening. I think that all of the others have a more unique moveset than him right now, but if he was further decloned, then I think that he should definitely still be included, even if it comes at the cost of one of the above.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The thing about fan picks is that it never ends.

The devs have clearly listened to people in the past by adding popular choices, but the crossover potential that Smash offers alongside with Nintendo's extensive history means that they'll likely never run out of characters to add. Which also means that they are never going to realistically be able to add everyone under the Sun.

People ask for Ridley, they get Ridley, then they move on to ask for another one, and so. You have to accept that whoever you decided to support might never make it into Smash, and it wouldn't be anyone's fault.
If someone is seriously disatisfied at the 70+ character roster that we have now, then what I can tell you? Devs are already aware that they are not going to please everybody. There are still plenty of choices that might click with you assuming that you like Nintendo games.
Speaking of which, its ironic when I see people complaining about how they don't like anyone on the roster, then state as well that they don't like most Nintendo games anyways except for one or two...

Personally, I'm at a point where I can't think of a must-have Nintendo character that needs to be added when pretty much everyone that should be there is already there by now. The again, I have no more personal picks of my own except for Megaman Zero which is not impossible but very unlikely.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah good point Ryu Myuutsu; Ultimate may not have satisfied everyone, but you can't please everyone.
No. This is a terrible idea. Please stop bringing this up.

There will never be a NVGC in Smash. Sakurai has said this. We have gone through five Smash games and one DLC wave, and there has never, not once, been non-video game representation. Even in the form of an assist trophy or a spirit will go against the one rule that Sakurai follows and open the floodgates the hundreds, potentially thousands of characters that I think we can all agree don't belong in Smash. What you're suggesting goes against the core belief of Smash: a video game crossover and nothing else.
Well technically, we've had a Goldeneye-based item or two in the 64/Melee days, not that I'm thusly advocating for any NVGC in Smash tho.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, I'm at a point where I can't think of a must-have Nintendo character that needs to be added when pretty much everyone that should be there is already there by now. The again, I have no more personal picks of my own except for Megaman Zero which is not impossible but very unlikely.
Well, ARMS is being pushed as EPD's next big IP. There needs to be someone from that series if that's the case, though I totally understand that there was bad timing involved. Spring Man is definitely a must have for the next installment if that's the case.

Anyway, I think certain series like Pokémon and Fire Emblem can stand to have their characters swapped out. If that's allowable, maybe Zelda can finally get the one-shots that a lot of fans are demanding.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Definitely more fan favorites. Ultimate's roster is missing quite a few (and most are Assist Trophies).

The roster's representation also needs some work.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You know what? How about a roster with every "realizable" fighter that at least has some popularity, moveset potential, is from a video game, and would work well in Smash. A roster of something like 200-300 fighters.
*Drops mic*

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know what? How about a roster with every "realizable" fighter that at least has some popularity, moveset potential, is from a video game, and would work well in Smash. A roster of something like 200-300 fighters.
*Drops mic*
Not gonna happen unless someone finishes and releases a Smash MUGEN engine that we've been sorely needing since circa Brawl.

MainJPW

M.T.A
*Drops mic*
The possibility of that is practically nonexistent.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
(Why are we already talking about smash 6)

I would also choose to accurately rep a franchise but it's not my top 3.
Kirby, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, DK, and heck, even Zelda need more fighters. Smash 6 needs to focus less on Mario, Pokemon and ****ing Fire Emblem. Kirby, DK and Zelda should probably have more fighters than FE for crying out loud since they're more popular, more iconic and actually have creative movesets to choose. Kid Icarus should get another rep so it doesn't look like they hashed in Dark Pit for no reason. Zelda is badly represented and they should replace Dorf with Pig-Beast Ganon.
Earthbound should also get more fighters. Porky, Masked Man, Ninten, Kumatora, etc. would all make me happy.
I would use CD-I Ganon instead of Falcondorf

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
There's 4 ways I could see the next Smash going in, roster wise:
1. Smash Ultimate 2: Either porting or building directly off Smash Ultimate. Everyone returns with a relatively low amount of new content for a Smash game, possibly even reusing the physics engine.
2. Smash 6: Taking the attitude that Brawl and Smash for did towards veterans: try and bring everyone back, but prioritizing new characters and cutting certain vets if development time gets dicey.
3. Smash: Splatoon Edition: Adopt the Splatoon approach to content, where the base game is somewhat lacking (having both a low amount of vets and newcomers), but it receives support through its life-cycle through free updates, eventually surpassing Smash Ultimate in terms of content.
4. Smash: the Reboot: Burn everything to the ground and start over. Completely revamp the older vets' movesets to better reflect the quality that newer characters have. Add only a handful of newcomers, as most of the dev time will be going towards these moveset updates.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
There's 4 ways I could see the next Smash going in, roster wise:
1. Smash Ultimate 2: Either porting or building directly off Smash Ultimate. Everyone returns with a relatively low amount of new content for a Smash game, possibly even reusing the physics engine.
2. Smash 6: Taking the attitude that Brawl and Smash for did towards veterans: try and bring everyone back, but prioritizing new characters and cutting certain vets if development time gets dicey.
3. Smash: Splatoon Edition: Adopt the Splatoon approach to content, where the base game is somewhat lacking (having both a low amount of vets and newcomers), but it receives support through its life-cycle through free updates, eventually surpassing Smash Ultimate in terms of content.
4. Smash: the Reboot: Burn everything to the ground and start over. Completely revamp the older vets' movesets to better reflect the quality that newer characters have. Add only a handful of newcomers, as most of the dev time will be going towards these moveset updates/
number 1 is fine with me

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'd focus on promoting exceptional irrelevant characters, probably up to 6. The theme of the direct would be like a time gimmick where I go into debt of past requested characters that weren't allowed through past circumstances, now able to be playable. "I have not forgotten" The trope would be gold findings for Zelda, F-Zero, Mother and Donkey Kong. Then reveal a character from a new Nintendo IP at the end of the direct. The newcomers would possibly be up to 14.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I think we need more balanced franchise represenatation, and more requested playable characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think we need more balanced franchise represenatation, and more requested playable characters.
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
Literally all of these were incredibly popular requests, alongside all the returning veterans.

Add in the fact that :ultdaisy: and :ultisabelle: have always been incredibly popular outside the Smash fandom bubble, that Dragon Quest is huge in Japan :ulthero:, and that :ultken: made the most sense to add of any echo and is popular himself, and there's a ton here as far as fan requests.

Pretty much the only one that don't fit this are :ultrichter: (who is an echo who gives Simon several of his moves and appears in Symphony of the Night, arguably the most popular Metroidvania title), :ultincineroar: (the token New Pokémon since Pokémon is massive), :ultpiranha: (the token surprise character), and :ultjoker: (who received near universal love upon his reveal in an "I never thought that'd happen" kind of way).

I fail to see how Smash is failing to give highly requested characters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Define "balanced." What roster would be balanced in your opinion? How would you balance the amount of representation in each series? Is there a ratio you would use to determine this? At least provide some sort of a description.

ze9

Smash Ace
I'd say Ultimate has had a great approach to newcomers. Just iterate on it.
Try to bring everyone back and then add these kinds of characters:

-Requested/fan-favorite characters (ike Dixie, Isaac and Bandana Dee,, or even Waluigi)
-Recent breakout characters (in Ultimate those were Isabelle and the Inkling, who knows who'll take their mantle in the future)
-Characters from iconic and beloved 3rd party properties (there's still a bunch: Bomberman, Doom, Dark Souls, Resident Evil, Chrono Trigger, you name it)
-WTF characters/retro characters (it's time to bring back Muddy Mole)
-Quick echoes to give a spot to overall minor but still popular characters
-No more Fire Emblem

Ultimate's approach was similar to Brawl's approach, and they both resulted in the two strongest batches of newcomers of the series, in my opinion. They're great line-ups, they feel really well balanced and thought out. While for example Smash 4's set of newcomers, as a whole, just didn't work at all.
So yeah, I'd like to see more of the same, I suppose.

D

Deleted member

I would welcome anyone, tbh.

With Ultimate being the way it currently is, I won’t have to worry about some characters getting cut or not since they will still await me on the mentioned game whenever I want to.

So yeah, I would be open to literally anyone in a potential Smash 6.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Probably unpopular, but I'd be fine with them just refining the roster we have now.

There will ALWAYS be more characters I want, but the roster we have now is so incredible, and there are a few characters with outdated movesets that need to be reworked or completely redone from scratch.

Top Bottom