• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "For my Father" - Lucina Social Thread

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
lucinasocial2.png

And we are back! To keep the forum organized and more legit, now we have an independent social thread. You are able to discuss anything you want in this thread and meet other Lucina mains as long as you keep things within the Smashboards Terms of Service and Rules. Let's begin!

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey, and welcome back everyone! I decided to completely re-structure the boards once more and I believe this is finally the correct path to take. I hope you enjoy the new boards/social. Additionally, if anyone has any observations/suggestions/etc. feel free to let me know ^_^

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Damn I've been gone for a grip for when it come to the Lucina boards LMAO. WTH happened in here?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I see cause I couldn't find the previous social thread or didn't look hard enough. Your work as Waifu Marth is never done i suppose.
It was there, but it was combined as both the general thread and a question and answer thread. The idea did not work sadly so I separated the thread into two separate entities.

On another note, how is everyone?

:227:

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
It was there, but it was combined as both the general thread and a question and answer thread. The idea did not work sadly so I separated the thread into two separate entities.

On another note, how is everyone?

I want my bloody Avatar back ;-; But otherwise pretty good! I've been doing some Lab Work with Marth/Luci and Weegee. Been learning some true Combo's with Weegee from my friend @ HeroMystic HeroMystic guys a Laboratory Genius ya?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I want my bloody Avatar back ;-; But otherwise pretty good! I've been doing some Lab Work with Marth/Luci and Weegee. Been learning some true Combo's with Weegee from my friend @ HeroMystic HeroMystic guys a Laboratory Genius ya?
We use pretty much the same characters then ^_^ And yea, HeroMystic is quite the knowledgeable one. We couldn't get any matches against each other when HeroMystic and I met sadly. Hopefully, next time we do meet it'll be different.

Also, your avatar is back!

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
We use pretty much the same characters then ^_^ And yea, HeroMystic is quite the knowledgeable one. We couldn't get any matches against each other when we met sadly. Hopefully, next time we do meet it'll be different.

Also, your avatar is back!
So it is!

And yeah, HeroMystic is a really close friend of mine, probably someone I'd consider a brother, and one of the main reasons for my interest in Smash. If it wasn't for his encouragement I'd probably be incapable of being half as good as I am now.

Also yes! We do main the same characters! However, I'm far less skilled with Marth than you from what I saw in your video where you faced Emblem Lord. I can use Luci a bit better than Marth, mainly because with Marth I have this stupid habit stuck in my head to try and get the tipper all the time, which causes me to either miss it and hit the opponent with the base of the sword and fail to follow up, or I completely miss the opponent and get punished to hell and back for it.

With Luci, I don't really have to worry about that and just aggressively assault people. Which apparently isn't how I -should- play her, but it gets pretty good results for me imho.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
So it is!

And yeah, HeroMystic is a really close friend of mine, probably someone I'd consider a brother, and one of the main reasons for my interest in Smash. If it wasn't for his encouragement I'd probably be incapable of being half as good as I am now.

Also yes! We do main the same characters! However, I'm far less skilled with Marth than you from what I saw in your video where you faced Emblem Lord. I can use Luci a bit better than Marth, mainly because with Marth I have this stupid habit stuck in my head to try and get the tipper all the time, which causes me to either miss it and hit the opponent with the base of the sword and fail to follow up, or I completely miss the opponent and get punished to hell and back for it.

With Luci, I don't really have to worry about that and just aggressively assault people. Which apparently isn't how I -should- play her, but it gets pretty good results for me imho.
Oh that's awesome. How did he encourage you to continue playing the game?

Actually, I'm the one using Lucina in those videos. I have gotten better with both characters in the time period that has passed. Although I'm very far away from being satisfied with my control/performance with both characters. Remember that with Marth you at times also want to get sour-spots in to string attacks together in an easier fashion. Tipper spacing though is very important and you will get it eventually. What I have found most trouble in with both characters is punishing my opponents after specific actions. Timings are very strict for both and if I miss, it means I will get punished no questions asked.

Now as far as hyper aggression goes with Lucina, you are right, it isn't optimal. That being said, it also depends on your opponent. If he/she isn't able to respond correctly and you get the win in that manner then by all means continue that match in that style. However, once opponents start seeing into Lucina's weaknesses, they should be able to punish accordingly. (Miss a F-air, opponent punishes with dash attack, etc).

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Oh that's awesome. How did he encourage you to continue playing the game?

Actually, I'm the one using Lucina in those videos. I have gotten better with both characters in the time period that has passed. Although I'm very far away from being satisfied with my control/performance with both characters. Remember that with Marth you at times also want to get sour-spots in to string attacks together in an easier fashion. Tipper spacing though is very important and you will get it eventually. What I have found most trouble in with both characters is punishing my opponents after specific actions. Timings are very strict for both and if I miss, it means I will get punished no questions asked.

Now as far as hyper aggression goes with Lucina, you are right, it isn't optimal. That being said, it also depends on your opponent. If he/she isn't able to respond correctly and you get the win in that manner then by all means continue that match in that style. However, once opponents start seeing into Lucina's weaknesses, they should be able to punish accordingly. (Miss a F-air, opponent punishes with dash attack, etc).

As cheesy as it sounds, I have pretty low self-esteem, especially when I consistently get beat in a game. He pretty much took that, flipped it upside down, and turned it into self-confidence by basically telling telling me ways to improve, treating me like a fellow player, and using his words to encourage me to be better off than I was. As such I've come to be better with Marth/Luci, and Luigi, cause without his encouragement I'd of lost the will to do it ages ago.

That being said, yeah. I need to have better control over Marth and Luci. I just feel like I'm at a blocked off point cause no matter how much I train with Marth/Luci I just can't seem to improve involving them.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
As cheesy as it sounds, I have pretty low self-esteem, especially when I consistently get beat in a game. He pretty much took that, flipped it upside down, and turned it into self-confidence by basically telling telling me ways to improve, treating me like a fellow player, and using his words to encourage me to be better off than I was. As such I've come to be better with Marth/Luci, and Luigi, cause without his encouragement I'd of lost the will to do it ages ago.

That being said, yeah. I need to have better control over Marth and Luci. I just feel like I'm at a blocked off point cause no matter how much I train with Marth/Luci I just can't seem to improve involving them.
It's not cheesy. At least not in my eyes. I had the same problem before. Low self-esteem. I managed to get through it and I know you can as well. Additionally, having someone else encourage you and all around be a great friend during the process is amazing.

Regarding your gameplay, have you had your matches recorded? You could post them in the video thread so other Lucina/Marth mains can analyze and visualize what mistakes you might be performing. Additionally, I have found that there's a point that no matter what character I choose, I will still get the same results simply because of bad general habits. For example, always spot-dodging after a missed attack, or always shielding when landing. Things like that severely hinder one's game-play at higher competitive levels since great opponents are able to capitalize on these things. And as an example those are two bad habits of mine that I need to fix. I also DI in after a lot of attacks for some reason.

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
It's not cheesy. At least not in my eyes. I had the same problem before. Low self-esteem. I managed to get through it and I know you can as well. Additionally, having someone else encourage you and all around be a great friend during the process is amazing.

Regarding your gameplay, have you had your matches recorded? You could post them in the video thread so other Lucina/Marth mains can analyze and visualize what mistakes you might be performing. Additionally, I have found that there's a point that no matter what character I choose, I will still get the same results simply because of bad general habits. For example, always spot-dodging after a missed attack, or always shielding when landing. Things like that severely hinder one's game-play at higher competitive levels since great opponents are able to capitalize on these things. And as an example those are two bad habits of mine that I need to fix. I also DI in after a lot of attacks for some reason.

I did have a few videos recorded that I posted in the Analysis thread, but it pretty much got ignored and I didn't get any critique to better improve myself. Since I was shy I didn't push the issue lol. Heres the Post

Some of my bad habits include forgetting to do SH attacks, recently HeroMystic told me that I should walk more with Marth/Luci instead of running like I normally do.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I did have a few videos recorded that I posted in the Analysis thread, but it pretty much got ignored and I didn't get any critique to better improve myself. Since I was shy I didn't push the issue lol. Heres the Post

Some of my bad habits include forgetting to do SH attacks, recently HeroMystic told me that I should walk more with Marth/Luci instead of running like I normally do.
Push the issue, don't be afraid of that. And I apologize for missing the post. HeroMystic is right, Marth/Luci should walk more instead of running. You have all of your options available to you, and Marth and Lucina do have the fastest walk speed which is in some cases faster than other characters dashes!

Things I noticed:
  • You land straight into your opponent after being placed in the air looking for counter opportunities. Almost exclusively. Your opponent was able to capitalize on that.
  • When you use F-air in some cases you space it incorrectly and if you miss you land straight into your opponent. Another punishable situation.
  • You throw a lot of attacks without knowing if they will hit, this puts you in a disadvantageous position.
  • A lot of rolls from you. A competitive opponent would be able to capitalize on this.
Also you got a Dash Attack Tipper kill on one of the videos, that's rare :p

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
@ Locuan Locuan You have vids of your Lucina against Emblem Lord? I need that and I need to work my Marcina cause it's been hella slacking cause I've been focusing on my Falco/Robin more lately.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ Locuan Locuan You have vids of your Lucina against Emblem Lord? I need that and I need to work my Marcina cause it's been hella slacking cause I've been focusing on my Falco/Robin more lately.
Yes, they are posted on the Marth Video Thread. I seem to have forgot to post them here on the Lucina Boards.

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Push the issue, don't be afraid of that. And I apologize for missing the post. HeroMystic is right, Marth/Luci should walk more instead of running. You have all of your options available to you, and Marth and Lucina do have the fastest walk speed which is in some cases faster than other characters dashes!

Things I noticed:
  • You land straight into your opponent after being placed in the air looking for counter opportunities. Almost exclusively. Your opponent was able to capitalize on that.
  • When you use F-air in some cases you space it incorrectly and if you miss you land straight into your opponent. Another punishable situation.
  • You throw a lot of attacks without knowing if they will hit, this puts you in a disadvantageous position.
  • A lot of rolls from you. A competitive opponent would be able to capitalize on this.
Also you got a Dash Attack Tipper kill on one of the videos, that's rare :p

Patience hasn't always been a virtue of mine, but I have noticed that if I get pretty aggressive and just blindly throw out attacks it does wind up making me suffer more.

And really? Its rare? Nice.

As for putting a lot of attacks out there without knowing if they will hit, I find it hard to judge when an attack will hit and when it won't especially against people like HeroMystic.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Patience hasn't always been a virtue of mine, but I have noticed that if I get pretty aggressive and just blindly throw out attacks it does wind up making me suffer more.

And really? Its rare? Nice.

As for putting a lot of attacks out there without knowing if they will hit, I find it hard to judge when an attack will hit and when it won't especially against people like HeroMystic.
If you slow down, start playing more patient, you will see that the amount of attacks you throw will be limited as you start to be able to observe what your opponent is doing and reply correctly. And I know what you mean by patience not being a virtue. Shaya kept on telling me, "walk don't run" for so long until it finally stuck with me.

Welcome back @ TheWerdna TheWerdna !

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
If you slow down, start playing more patient, you will see that the amount of attacks you throw will be limited as you start to be able to observe what your opponent is doing and reply correctly. And I know what you mean by patience not being a virtue. Shaya kept on telling me, "walk don't run" for so long until it finally stuck with me.

Welcome back @ TheWerdna TheWerdna !

I'll have to try that some time, I'd like to play you some time if we ever get the chance too. I wanna see how well I do against good players too, not just get wrecked by HeroMystic haha.

Speaking of getting Wrecked, I just saw HeroMystic make it to the Winners Finals at League of Shadows Week 12, then he got wrecked by JBAndrews who used Diddy...It was like watching a bloody broken record... HeroMystic did good, watching him was fun, but Watching Diddy use the same moves...over...and over....and over...and sometimes in rapid succession is boring D:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I'll have to try that some time, I'd like to play you some time if we ever get the chance too. I wanna see how well I do against good players too, not just get wrecked by HeroMystic haha.

Speaking of getting Wrecked, I just saw HeroMystic make it to the Winners Finals at League of Shadows Week 12, then he got wrecked by JBAndrews who used Diddy...It was like watching a bloody broken record... HeroMystic did good, watching him was fun, but Watching Diddy use the same moves...over...and over....and over...and sometimes in rapid succession is boring D:
Sure, let me know when you'd like to play. Tomorrow would be best for me though.

Wait if he made it to winners finals and lost, it means he should play loser's finals soon. He's still in the tournament!

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Sure, let me know when you'd like to play. Tomorrow would be best for me though.

Wait if he made it to winners finals and lost, it means he should play loser's finals soon. He's still in the tournament!

Typo, Quarters, Winners Quarters, I have no idea why I wrote Finals, BUT...

He then destroyed Losers Quarters, so he's still in this race, after Quarters comes Semi right?

Also sometime tomorrow is good for me too! So I'll hit you up!

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Yep @ OmegaSorin OmegaSorin , after Quarters, you get Semis! That's good. It's great to know he is performing well.

Looking forward to our matches ^_^

Haha, don't expect to much from me, At best when it comes to fighting HeroMystic I -may- get him down to one stock, but I never, ever beat him.

Should make for a wonderful exercise for me though, fighting under true pressure. Cause HeroMystic always takes it easy on me to make sure I and he have fun.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Nothing much, I'll have a tournament this sunday, I'll host it though I'm not sure what cahracter to use.
Also, My 3DS was supposed to host the Custom Sets but the charger got busted and I have no idea how to solve that now.

GGs

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
So what would people consider the ideal play style for Lucina? I'm experimenting with her a bit and can't really find options to kill early. My area has customs on as well so if anyone has any tips, that would be extremely helpful.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
What buffs or nerfs (please no) do you guys think Lucina will get in 1.0.6? I'm hoping for less lag and more damage and knockback on her. A 10% extra over Marth's sour spot is not enough. Moves being safe on shield would also be nice

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
What buffs or nerfs (please no) do you guys think Lucina will get in 1.0.6? I'm hoping for less lag and more damage and knockback on her. A 10% extra over Marth's sour spot is not enough. Moves being safe on shield would also be nice
I don't know for sure, but I know what I want her to get.

1. Damage Increase so she can rival Marth and not be told that she sucks compared to Marth.
  2. A little faster running then Marth.
  3. Something to set her apart from MARTH PLEASE SAKURAI I BEG TO YOU OH GOD OF SMASH

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
I've been bringing Lucina to a few local tournaments but so far not so good. But that being said, I'm still fairly new to the competitive scene and I'm still trying to get the hang of my fundamentals a bit more. I've been told I have a lot of the basics of Lucina down so I just need to do a bit more with my spacing and a few other things.

Sadly, the only video I have is one that was recorded about a month or so ago and I've improved a lot since then. If I can get any more recorded from our weeklies I'll upload it ASAP.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
I've been bringing Lucina to a few local tournaments but so far not so good. But that being said, I'm still fairly new to the competitive scene and I'm still trying to get the hang of my fundamentals a bit more. I've been told I have a lot of the basics of Lucina down so I just need to do a bit more with my spacing and a few other things.

Sadly, the only video I have is one that was recorded about a month or so ago and I've improved a lot since then. If I can get any more recorded from our weeklies I'll upload it ASAP.
Don't give up on Luci! Push for her popularity!

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Don't give up on Luci! Push for her popularity!
Oh don't worry! I'm never giving her up. At very most, she'll be a secondary once Lucas comes out but I'm gonna keep playing her. All my friends want me to drop her for Marth but I love her so much more even if she has limitations he doesn't have.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
So what would people consider the ideal play style for Lucina? I'm experimenting with her a bit and can't really find options to kill early. My area has customs on as well so if anyone has any tips, that would be extremely helpful.
As far as customs, 3123 is a very popular set at the moment. Dash Assault/Dancing Blade/Crescent Slash/Iaia Counter. If you would like to get an idea of how to play Lucina:

Top Bottom