• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory Record?

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I'm new here, and I was wondering how I measure up. What does everyone consider a good record? My record is 968-195 at 83.23%. I mainly pick Ike and Link. Most people tend to counter with Villager Dedede, Diddy, and ROB after we play. I feel as if my competition is extremely good, so I think I must be getting matched with great players.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
That means you've won more than 3/4ths of your online matches, which is undeniably good.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
I'm new here, and I was wondering how I measure up. What does everyone consider a good record? My record is 968-195 at 83.23%. I mainly pick Ike and Link. Most people tend to counter with Villager Dedede, Diddy, and ROB after we play. I feel as if my competition is extremely good, so I think I must be getting matched with great players.
Link? Ahh yes. Too hot to handle. Sometimes you can't catch a bomb lol. GG's. #unapproachable

PS: I think the same way. I can't seem to find the scrub players anymore lol!

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
just wanted to say that for glory dosent really mean much because alot of the people who are on for glory really arent that good. But i will say 83 percent is really good especially since youve played over 1k match. Im stuck at 78% but i typically farm loses lol, if someone is better than me i wont leave no matter how many times i lose because good players seems to be very rare for me so when i do run into them i try to get as much experience from them as i can, also if i beat someone more than a few times and it dosent feel like they are challenging me i leave. Something that would be a better indicator of skill would be a ladder score from one of the various ladder websites where most of the really good players are. But either way, good job on 83%, hopefully i can make it in the 80%'s just for my self at some point. :)

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound
I stopped caring about my record. If I don't worry about it I tend to play with people who are beating me more often so I can improve. Because of this, I'm sitting at 57%.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I've fought 984 battles, won 768 of 'em and lost 216. My win rate is 78.04%. I primarily play Mario, Diddy, Little Mac, Palutena, Bowser, and Sonic, although I dabble in tons of other characters from time to time as well. The win/loss ratio for the last hundred games I've played has hovered around 80% for a while now, so I'm improving!

Last edited:

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Link? Ahh yes. Too hot to handle. Sometimes you can't catch a bomb lol. GG's. #unapproachable

PS: I think the same way. I can't seem to find the scrub players anymore lol!
Who did u play with again? I remember someone catching my bombs.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
Who did u play with again? I remember someone catching my bombs.
I only use Ness. That's really it. I need another character lol. I remember catching one of Link's bombs with Ness and throwing it back though I don't remember how lol

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I don't do for glory much. I play with my friends who are more skilled than me because a learn a lot more from them than I do from people who are completely shut down by down-smashes (rollers) and grabs (counter spammers). I also only play random on it unless I happen to find someone particularly good.
My For Glory Record sits at a mere 106 battles with a 53-53 win;loss ratio.
...No really, I checked and it's a perfect 50%.

Last edited:

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Well I used a toaster to record some of my matches online. I put them on YouTube @

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
I stress over my win record much more than I should. I wish I could play the game without stressing about winning or losing, but it's hard when you're online and you can't take solace in the fact that you are playing with friends.

I've got a record of 58%. I main Bowser, but I also sometimes use Larry, Little Mac, and a huge host of rotating characters of the day.

I really like Smash 4, but I hope I will get less frustrated when Wii U comes out and all my friends can play with me.

Last edited:

MrJeff

Smash Cadet
I'm at 56%. I never leave after I'm paired with someone unless I'm actually done playing. I also tend to rotate around four characters, but if the person I'm playing against also rotates, I'll keep picking new characters as long as they do.

Overall, it feels like I play against people who are near my skill level. Sometimes they are noticeably better or worse, but not by a huge margin. Rarely do I play against someone who utterly annihilates me or vice versa. Does anyone know if there is some sort of skill-based matchmaking that the game uses?

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
For 1 on 1, I'm currently at 902 matches with 538 victories and 364 losses, a winrate of 59.64%, most of these records come from Link. Looks like I have some catching up to do.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Well I used a toaster to record some of my matches online. I put them on YouTube @
Hey, tournament player here. Watched your video. I notice two flaws in your gameplay: one is that you roll way too much, and a good competitive player will abuse this. Every time you were facing any kind of pressure vs. that ZSS, you rolled away. I know that it can be difficult to not roll, but really the best way to get around is by walking, and you should try to force yourself into the habit of walking everywhere instead of rolling. Rolls and dashes are options that you use when you know that your opponent won't punish them.

The reason for this is that rolls and dashes move you a set distance and don't take you exactly where you want to go, and the actions that you can take during a roll or dash are limited--you can't act until the roll or dash animation is finished, once it's been initiated. Walking is much more in your control, as you can stop at any time and perform any action. You aren't committing to a particular animation. In competitive play, the player who commits to an action first (aerial, attack, roll, etc.) is the player who will lose. Don't commit. Leave your options open.

The other thing that I saw you doing is hiding in your shield. Don't ever just hold shield and sit there. This is the surest way to get read and grabbed or subject yourself to shield pressure. You should get in the habit of briefly flashing your shield right when you think you're in danger of getting hit, and letting go as soon as the danger has passed. Hold the shield only when you've actually been hit (this will require good reaction time but it gets easier with practice).

If you try to correct these flaws you will be a much better player: you have a good sense of timing and when to attack/not attack already.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I personally don't care about my win record (though I check it all the time so maybe I am just in denial?). I unfortunately end up fighting a bunch of projectile spammers who just run away once things get scary for them to the other side of the stage and keep spamming (I main Marth so it isn't the easiest thing in the world to deal with when using him), so I lose a lot of matches. I don't really think your amount of wins shows how good you are since someone could have like 30% wins in FG and then go to a tournament and destroy everybody.

Hey, tournament player here. Watched your video. I notice two flaws in your gameplay: one is that you roll way too much, and a good competitive player will abuse this. Every time you were facing any kind of pressure vs. that ZSS, you rolled away. I know that it can be a difficult to not roll, but really the best way to get around is by walking, and you should try to force yourself into the habit of walking everywhere instead of rolling. Rolls and dashes are options that you use when you know that your opponent won't punish them.

The reason for this is that rolls and dashes move you a set distance and don't take you exactly where you want to go, and the actions that you can take during a roll or dash are limited--you can't act until the roll or dash animation is finished, once it's been initiated. Walking is much more in your control, as you can stop at any time and perform any action. You aren't committing to a particular animation. In competitive play, the player who commits to an action first (aerial, attack, roll, etc.) is the player who will lose. Don't commit. Leave your options open.

The other thing that I saw you doing is hiding in your shield. Don't ever just hold shield and sit there. This is the surest way to get read and grabbed or subject yourself to shield pressure. You should get in the habit of briefly flashing your shield right when you think you're in danger of getting hit, and letting go as soon as the danger has passed. Hold the shield only when you've actually been hit (this will require good reaction time but it gets easier with practice).

If you try to correct these flaws you will be a much better player: you have a good sense of timing and when to attack/not attack already.
I am no tournament player,but I agree with this. To the OP: Another piece of advice is that you had a lot of opportunities to punish them with much more than just a jab combo or a bomb. Whenever you are behind an opponent who just tried to grab you, if it is safe to punish them go for some sort of combo like d throw>f tilt or d throw>bair they will do more damage then a jab combo or bomb can. Also know when it is safe to be aggressive, you don't have to play like your opponent is ALWAYS going to just block or avoid it and then punish it. When you are approaching you should take out a bomb and jump to throw it under you to punish any approach or defense your opponent tries to go for. When trying to be more defensive you should throw bombs into the air and roll back when your opponent tries to attack, throwing bombs into the air will scare your opponents from approaching and getting punished for it.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Hey, tournament player here. Watched your video. I notice two flaws in your gameplay: one is that you roll way too much, and a good competitive player will abuse this. Every time you were facing any kind of pressure vs. that ZSS, you rolled away. I know that it can be a difficult to not roll, but really the best way to get around is by walking, and you should try to force yourself into the habit of walking everywhere instead of rolling. Rolls and dashes are options that you use when you know that your opponent won't punish them.

I am no tournament player,but I agree with this. To the OP: Another piece of advice is that you had a lot of opportunities to punish them with much more than just a jab combo or a bomb. Whenever you are behind an opponent who just tried to grab you, if it is safe to punish them go for some sort of combo like d throw>f tilt or d throw>bair they will do more damage then a jab combo or bomb can. Also know when it is safe to be aggressive, you don't have to play like your opponent is ALWAYS going to just block or avoid it and then punish it. When you are approaching you should take out a bomb and jump to throw it under you to punish any approach or defense your opponent tries to go for. When trying to be more defensive you should throw bombs into the air and roll back when your opponent tries to attack, throwing bombs into the air will scare your opponents from approaching and getting punished for it.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to edit my previous post. Please delete this post!

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I personally don't care about my win record (though I check it all the time so maybe I am just in denial?). I unfortunately end up fighting a bunch of projectile spammers who just run away once things get scary for them to the other side of the stage and keep spamming (I main Marth so it isn't the easiest thing in the world to deal with when using him), so I lose a lot of matches. I don't really think your amount of wins shows how good you are since someone could have like 30% wins in FG and then go to a tournament and destroy everybody.
The way to deal with projectile spam as Marth is to walk and shield. Marth has a very fast walk speed so he isn't very susceptible to projectile camping. Guys like Ganon are susceptible to projectile camping because they're slow, but guys like Marth and Falcon aren't, despite their lack of a counterprojectile. If all your opponent is doing is projectile camping you, that's basically a free win for you, because that strategy is lousy against Marth.

Last edited:

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Thanks all for the feedback, and feel free to check out more of my vids on my channel. I also don't normally shield that much, but it was due to a. zss' speed b. her grab is slow enough I feel I can down dodge on reaction. But I have some more vids, and feel free to critique those as well. I would post tons more, but the quality is just so bad lol

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
The way to deal with projectile spam as Marth is to walk and shield. Marth has a very fast walk speed so he isn't very susceptible to projectile camping. Guys like Ganon are susceptible to projectile camping because they're slow, but guys like Marth and Falcon aren't, despite their lack of a counterprojectile. If all your opponent is doing is projectile camping you, that's basically a free win for you, because that strategy is lousy against Marth.
I also have no problems with Marth players either. Here is my twitter account to show I'm not lying btw

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Still can't post a link, but my twitter account is RoronoaTREY15

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I was actually using that earlier, it helped out a lot! Thanks! I feel like you should make a thread to help out other players to help them deal with certain situations or what they should do in them.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
well if you dont mind me sharing some more opinions, my current stats are
1206 Battles 974 wins - 232 loses, Win rate 80.76%

Yoshi being my main i have won the most matches with him, from there my secondaries assist with the remaining wins like Megaman, Little Mac, Greninja and Duck Hunt, i have used other characters for fun, like Shulk, Captain Falcon, Villager, Iggy Koopa and Wii Fit Trainer, but overall for the score you have which is almost the same as mine your doing pretty good, as many have said For Glory isnt a good place to fully judge your skill, but it does indeed help a lot, you can understand match ups, memorize certain attack patterns and what moves have better priority than yours, even if your opponent is skilled or not, you are learning and adapting, so keep at it, and with the helping people around here you can improve to the point you feel comfortable with yourself and you dont have to doubt anymore :)

NairWizard

Somewhere
Did I just play u on for glory? Is ur name solid?
Name is Solid but idk if we played. I just had the most intense bout of lag online (as in, there was a lot of lag vs. a Sheik and then a Marth). What is your tag? edit: I see your tag, and no I haven't played you I'm pretty sure

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
FG win rate doesn't mean that much, don't worry about it. I'm somewhere around 90% win rate with over 1400 matches, but I'm still not that good on a national scale. I use Mario and Pac Man primarily, but most of my wins were with Mario.

Also, getting better is a lot more important than keeping a high win rate. I'm sure my ratio suffered when I started going Pac Man mainly as opposed to Mario who I have 4 yrs of Brawl exp with, but no pain, no gain.

Last edited:

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
I can safely say this:

Records on For Glory are worthless. I've got an 85% win ratio, out of 2.2k battles I've won 1.9k using Sheik, and sometimes even I get rocked by random players online.

Moral of the story; keep practicing, there will always be someone better than you.

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I can safely say this:

Records on For Glory are worthless. I've got an 85% win ratio, out of 2.2k battles I've won 1.9k using Sheik, and sometimes even I get rocked by random players online.

Moral of the story; keep practicing, there will always be someone better than you.
Yeah I definately couldn't pick only one character. A lot of my losses have come when I was experimenting with new characters, or when (salty excuse) the lag was just so bad.

Top Bottom