• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory is horrible imo

KiraTheSavior

Smash Rookie
Whenever I get on some really dumb stuff happens causing me to lose, like today I was playing as fox (I don't use him much) vs a jigglypuff and I clipped through the stage, so instead of shielding and then dashing back in I fell through the ledge and airdodged and then instead of up special he used side special. And this sort of stuff always happens to me, when I play my attacks and shields seem to come out like a full 1.5 seconds after I input them and the opponent just attacks or grabs through my attacks and I just end up losing horribly to people that I am doing the right stuff against and the moves don't come out in time, or it'll start lagging when I go to recover and miraculously stop after I die from the game being frozen for a solid minute and not letting me input. Does anyone know how I can get around this crap?

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Do you have a wired connection? It will reduce the lag on your end. However, there are just some people on For Glory with really bad connection and there's nothing you can do about it but leave and find someone else.

Last edited:

KiraTheSavior

Smash Rookie
Do you have a wired connection? It will reduce the lag on your end. However, there are just some people on For Glory with really bad connection and there's nothing you can do about it but leave and find someone else.
It's wireless, but it has a pretty good speed for everything else, so I'd assume it would work there too, and the input delay happens regardless of lag in terms of framerate

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
The short answer is that you can't get around it.

As previously mentioned, some people just have bad connections and so dealing with lag is something you just have to be able to prepare for - it's inevitable if you play for long enough. Best thing to do is to continue fighting the non-laggy players for as long as you can or until you want to learn a different matchup.

It's true though. The amount of times I've accidentally Egg Rolled whilst off stage on For Glory is higher than it should be. And the worst thing is there's absolutely no coming back from it. It's just giving your opponent a free stock.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I always found it kind of sketchy that whenever lag hits, it's when I'm about to land some good consecutive blows on an opponent or when I'm knocked back and need to recover nicely. Then the lag just suddenly stops when the opponent is clear of what would had been a good combo or when I die off screen.

Everyone suffers from lag though. It totally sucks and ruins the game. There's times when a two minute match draws on for five minutes or more...to a crawl. At those times, I seriously want to just quit, but I know I'll be penalized. Hopefully Nintendo makes a better server for the Smash switch game. It will no doubt be made. I can't see myself paying a monthly service fee for this kind of connection issues.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I know how you feel man. Sometimes you'll get some good games in, but most times the games just lag to a crawl. I also hate the games where you finally start the match...3...2...1...G-----and then the Smash ball of doom just spins until it disconnects everyone.

I just had that happen yesterday I think? So I log back in and low and behold, one of the members from the last game joined. And so we start up to 3...2...1...G----again lol. I was beginning to suspect it was me until I did another game and it loaded perfectly.

It's also annoying when you enter one of the modes and the game acts like it's searching for a server, but then gives up with some error or can't find anyone BS.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
For Glory has its pros and cons. When it comes to online game play, you could end up with a clear connection or with a lot of latency. I played against someone who used the tag "K 9". Good Sheik. The connection was pretty good. Afterwards, I fought someone else and the latency was there. Online isn't going to be as good as offline because there will always be that latency. If you're in a match where the latency is horrendous, just KO yourself and hope for a better connection with someone else.

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
If you're in a match where the latency is horrendous, just KO yourself and hope for a better connection with someone else.
Not sure if anyone else gets this, but I find that SDing is more risky and your best bet is to just sit through the match and then leave when it's over. I've been sent to For Glory Hell for SDing before. I assume it was because I SDed anyway, since I was in FGH immediately after the fact.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Not sure if anyone else gets this, but I find that SDing is more risky and your best bet is to just sit through the match and then leave when it's over. I've been sent to For Glory Hell for SDing before. I assume it was because I SDed anyway, since I was in FGH immediately after the fact.
I've never heard of being sent to hell for SD'ing. On the other hand, I've been told that quitting voluntarily, rather than SD'ing, will send you to hell.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
All right, check this. For Glory should mostly be a tool to practice neutral and disadvantage state. It's a good source for strategies you may run into in offline matches. If there are input errors or SDs due to lag, you shouldn't take it to heart. Just make sure you practice your movement, advantage state, combos and kill methods in Training Mode or vs the AI. This increases the probability of crisp gameplay that won't flub when you play against players offline.

Last edited:

カワシ隊長

Smash Rookie
Agreeably, the lag is annoying, but also inevitable. For me personally, I just try to bear it through until it stops - perhaps you could go on the defensive until it passes. Defense is a lot easier then offense (most likely) when it comes to lag

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Almost every match I go to has terrible lag now. It's really getting annoying. I do find the few here and there, where the connection is pretty good. Then the next match it goes to a crawl and it's unbearble...like not even being defensive and running away works all that great.

Sometimes I bite the bullet and just quit the match, even though I will be penaizled. It's not like it matters, the game would had probably lasted five+ minutes anyway. If I solely did for glory 1 vs 1, I guess I could just suicide my two stocks, but I also do for free for all and team on For Glory and For Fun. So there's really not much you can do for those instances. You can sd 5 times, but in a laggy match, that's almost as grueling as trying to legetimately fight and or go on the defensive. And if someone manages to frag you, then you'll have to start all over again. And idling takes just as long lol. You might as well put the controller down and go do something else.

It'd be nice if the game would rate its online feature for people's connections and place them in connections that equal their own. That way the online game laggy issues aren't dragging everyone down.

Top Bottom