• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory Hell May Still Exist In Ultimate's Quickplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
So I performed a bit of an experiment over the past few weeks. I wanted to determine if Ultimate has a similar system to "For Glory Hell" from Smash 4. To quickly summarize For Glory Hell, it was a hidden punishing system which temporarily put "problem" players into their own matchmaking pool, so that they would only face other offending players. These players often had poor connections, rude nicknames, and other infractions. The system was flawed in that it relied on the game's report system, and many innocent players were false-reported by opponents who lost to them, placing them in For Glory Hell despite doing nothing wrong.

After learning of this, I wanted to see if Ultimate contained a similar system. Now, to preface this, I want you to know that I have a stable, fast, wired internet connection (200 mbps) that I play Smash Ultimate with. So most lag I encounter tends to come from my opponent's poor connection. I am also well-behaved online, I refrain from t-bagging and other unsportsmanlike behaviors. My GSP generally hovers in the 6,000,000 range for my main, who I used for this experiment.

Now usually when playing Quickplay, I run into mostly opponents with good connections. That means no lag spikes, and the usual online input lag. Of course I run into the occasional Laggy Lucas™, but much less than I run into reasonable opponents. So my bar for telling if I could have been put into a penal matchmaking pool would be if I started getting mostly laggy matches, especially with misbehaving opponents.

The quickest way I imagined would get me into "Quickplay Hell" would be to SD multiple times in a row. So I did so until I received a warning (no ban oddly enough), and that's when it all started. After that, I noticed that every opponent I ran into had an incredibly poor connection, with constant lag spikes and unplayable amounts of input lag. In addition, I noticed many of them displayed poor behavior by t-bagging often. My hypothesis was met, so I decided to wait a while to see if I would be removed from the penal pool, just like how For Glory Hell worked. After about a week (I didn't play much during this time), I played a session of Quickplay and found I was getting opponents with good connections and good behavior again. So now that I escaped Quickplay Hell, I attempted to replicate the cycle by SDing several times again. And surely enough, the cycle repeated and I was in Quickplay Hell again.

This experiment leads me to believe that there is a Quickplay Hell, just like Smash 4's For Glory Hell, though it could all be a coincidence. Smash Ultimate's online component is so poor and Nintendo is so opaque about this kind of thing that I can't be too sure.

Have you had a similar experience? I would like to know if other players have experienced a similar situation that could confirm the existence of Quickplay Hell.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Not as such but I do notice two things...

1 if I don't rematch the next opponent is slightly worse to play against the majority of the time and if I continue to not rematch, win or lose, I eventually get disconnected with the unable to connect to opponents message.

2 the GSP of players just 100k or so below me are usually three times as bad but 500k+ above are insane good. My gsp remains in Flux between 5.4 and 6.2 with one loss dropping me from top to bottom and about three wins to get back. Each time I hit 6m2 ish the opponent gsp jumps to 6.5 and even had a 6.8 lol which I pretty much always lose to and the cycle continues. This has been the case since the range was between 3.8 and 4.2 just as time goes on and my gsp increase over time the same seesaw takes place.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
i am fairly certain 6.8 would only be found in the Elite smash pool still? i thought Elite was in the upper 6,700 gsp area but i could be wrong. As far as Quickplay hell i havent been forced into it in this game which is something i'm grateful for since i experienced For Glory hell a few times for no discernable reason in Sm4sh...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I also thought it was strange seeing such a high gsp but maybe they'd just fallen out? Dunno it was literally one time and they dropped out right after winning. Also could have been a fluke. It was like 6,800,030...

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I've had the 6.8 thing happen a couple of times to me too. Managed to beat one and his GSP only went down a couple hundred. When you first play a character the algorithm will start you at whatever your roster GSP is IIRC and that can lead to you being randomly matched with people higher or lower than you until the algorithm determines your placement. But since this guy's GSP only went down a couple hundred, instead of what is usually several thousand, I'm leaning more towards a bug in the algorithm. Especially since it seems to be specifically in the 6.8 range so far.

As for the topic, I don't know really know for sure, but I do have constant awful connections and general toxic behavior and only rare good days of good connections and players. I notice things being fairly ok after a long break from the game before business as usual. And I run into the same players frequently enough, especially at night, that I wonder if I am in QP Hell or not.

I don't deal in toxic behavior and I don't have a bad connection at 100mbps LAN. But I do play characters that people don't like fighting like Zelda (she's my main) and I'm not afraid to camp back, to the point I once made a Toon Link rage quit. I also tend to maintain a close to 70% win ratio. I also was acquainted with FG Hell for pretty much the same reasons.

So I dunno. FG Hell had very few players in it and it could take several minutes to get a match. So unless there is just that many more people playing Ultimate online, I'm not sure that this isn't a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom