• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For everyone that voted for Ridley in the Smash Ballot, what did you write as your reasoning for why he should be in?

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Something that crossed my mind was how the Smash Ballot probably played a big part in who Sakurai picked to be a character in this game. And I was thinking that perhaps there were some votes in the ballot that provided solid reasoning for why shrinking Ridley down would remain true to his character and stuff like that. Of course it's entirely possible (and probably more likely) that Sakurai just changed his mind on it's own (he has down that before), but it would be interesting if some people actually managed to write some convincing arguments that managed to sway him into changing his mind about Ridley. Anyone remember what they wrote?

Last edited:

The Sparrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
SPTheSparrow
Theres barely any characters representing Metroid, which is one of the "4 big boys" of Super Smash Bros thats always shown off in intro trailers and such (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid) So my reasoning for Ridley's vote was just thinking 2 characters to represent Metroid was not enough at all (especially since both of them are just Samus) And since the amount of Antagonists we have in Smash Bros is low it would have been really cool to have Ridley over.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I kinda forgot what all my listed reasons were when I voted for him on the ballot honestly, though I remember saying stuff along the lines of "I know that him being a stage boss hazard is how you see him most fittingly as now, but I beg you reconsider in the future!", etc.

Is difficult to say how much the votes for him on the ballot impacted where he is now, though I understand most who voted him did so silently so as to not be ridiculed or constantly be told to give up after the PR reasons given on why he wasn't playable in SSB4. Regardless, I still buy that it was more other factors that made Sakurai change his mind on Ridley than it was the ballot numbers.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Is difficult to say how much the votes for him on the ballot impacted where he is now, though I understand most who voted him did so silently so as to not be ridiculed or constantly be told to give up after the PR reasons given on why he wasn't playable in SSB4. Regardless, I still buy that it was more other factors that made Sakurai change his mind on Ridley than it was the ballot numbers.
I figured it wasn't the number of votes myself given the amount of people who were probably discouraged by his comments. I was just wondering if perhaps the reasoning that some people provided that at least piqued his interest in trying to make Ridley work.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I basically outlined why size was never a defining aspect of Ridley's character and that his character could be represented quite well as a playable character. I don't remember exactly what I put, but it was something along those lines.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember exactly, but I recall something to the effect of:

It can seem like size is a defining trait for ridley, but I feel that impression is actually because he is unlike the other bosses in metroid.

Most bosses feel like a puzzle you have to solve. But ridley comes directly for you in battle in what feels like an intense knife fight. One where you constantly have to dodge and retreat to stay out of his attack range. This constant intense threat from ridley makes him feel more imposing than other bosses, despite him being one of the smaller bosses in many metroid games.

I believe the essence of ridley could be acheived without needing a large size.

I imagine I spent longer writing it than this, and I know I had examples of how to go about it. I only roughly remember it though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mostly voted for Geno, but I'm pretty sure I did vote for Ridley at least once.

I know I voted for Banjo/Kazooie, Blastoise, and K Rool as well.

I can't remember in the slightest. Probably just about my love for the Metroid series and how important Ridley was to the series. And how Metroid deserves another character and Ridley was the best choice.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
My two votes and reasons were

King K Rool - tried to starve Donkey Kong and his family to death
Ridley - giant mother ****ing purple space pirate dragon

StormC

Smash Hero
I didn't vote for Ridley in the ballot (I had pretty much given up), but I think it was everything that made Sakurai reconsider. Ballot votes. Tweets. Videos. Fanart. Article comments. Even that big book sent to NOA might have had an effect.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
>Ridley is the most important character in the Metroid franchise besides Samus.
>Not having Ridley is like not having Bowser when you have Mario or not having Ganondorf when you have Link.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I honestly don't remember the reasons I gave... maybe something regarding being memorable... what i do recall is not mentioning his status in the game s as a boss, as simply didnt ackowledged its existence.

in hindsight i think that it paid off being honest regarding the ballot and not caring teh character i wanted had 0 "chance".

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I didn't realize there was another Smash ballot. When did this happen? My reason on the ballot would be this: Ridley has played a very important role in Samus' narrative. Without the attack on K-2L, Samus wouldn't be who she is now. Can the same be said of Mario, Link, or Kirby when you look at the antagonists in their respective series?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
>Not having Ridley is like not having Bowser when you have Mario or not having Ganondorf when you have Link.
This is like literally what I put in my ballot vote for Ridley almost word-for-word, lol

Smooth Criminal

domriver

Smash Lord
I mostly vote for Geno - When i voted for Ridley at times I said main antagonist of the Metroid Series. I can't think of any other reason - Ridley and Samus have a ugly/dark connection. Ridley can not stay dead time after time.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I might argue that from humble beginnings Mother Brain was more important than Ridley. What I will not argue is the notion that Mother Brain is more viable or has more character potential than Ridley. Iunno maybe if they took her Super Metroid Mother Brain mech and... shrunk it?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Then you have full body Andross which is a equally niche idea, but Ridley and Wolf were more popular and viable to add, and had more of an interesting rivalry with their protagonists in comparison, despite not usually being a final boss.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Then you have full body Andross which is a equally niche idea, but Ridley and Wolf were more popular and viable to add, and had more of an interesting rivalry with their protagonists in comparison, despite not usually being a final boss.
Oh for sure, I don't deny that. I was just noting that in the first few games it could be argued Mother Brain was more important than Ridley. With where the franchise is now clearly this is no longer the case.

Top Bottom