• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For a future Smash, who are your top 10 cuts to the roster?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'll give you my ten, but then I'll also give my other list of cut characters, since I'd have more than ten removed.

Top 10
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultdoc::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultpichu::ultrosalina::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:

Personal cut
:ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultyoshi::ultyounglink:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
If characters have to be cut, I believe there should be a few priorities to take into account before any other cut can be made:

Priority 0- Purging the Pokemon, Zelda, and Fire Emblem rosters of OCD-inducers or unworthy redundancies. There's a reason I think Linkle should be an Echo Fighter of Link and not her own unique character (or a semi-clone) and it's because making her a semi-clone contributes to LoZ's already ugly mess. I shouldn't have to repeat myself about Pokemon's problems, and Fire Emblem's issue is a tad more controversial, but I think we're at least aware of what the controversy is about.
Priority 1- Cleansing the general roster of the more egregious semi-clones. Echo Fighters do not consume design or development time and resources beyond the bare minimum; semi-clones require much more thought put into them and are usually much less valuable additions to the roster. I will also sometimes suggest moving one or more of their attacks/specials/etc. to their original for the sake of preference.

Number 10- :ultlucas:. Lucas needs to either get Mother 3 or some other game he stars in released outside of Japan or to get the **** out of Smash. His Up-B and a couple of attacks are wonderful, sure, but those can be given to Ness if need be. Only reason he's not higher on the list is because if the Pokemon Trainer's individual Pokemon can be cut or kept seperately, I'm keeping Charizard and ditching the other two, and putting Lucas as the bottom priority lets me put Squirtle and Ivysaur into the top spots without accidentally letting any of these other characters escape this purge.
Number 9- :ultincineroar:. Getting the controversial character out of the way, but they're the lowest priority for a good reason. I actually like all of the Alolan starters, but without the other two, Incineroar feels like an incomplete set. Add onto this the fact that we already have a Fire-type starter in Charizard and Incineroar's inclusion feels more and more like an oversight. I said as much back in the Decidueye days, so when October was just nothing but people arguing over this one character because of Vergeban, I was very quickly growing tired of a starter that I otherwise loved. What really sealed this cat's doom, however, was that the development team had the ****ing gal to give him a Down-B counter. Yeah yeah, it "doesn't function like a typical counter--" BITE ME. I'm not typically one for crude humor, but if Incineroar shooting fire from a suspicious angle (his wrestler belt) is what it would've taken to avoid yet another Down-B Counter, that's what they should've gone with, instead.
Number 8- :ultgreninja:. Oh, how it had to ****ing come to this... Another beloved starter whose only getting cut because there wasn't enough resources or will to bring in the complete set, and this was one I was super hyped about back in the Smash 4 days; although that had to do with how just surprised I was at his inclusion. Once the game came out, however, Greninja very quickly fell off my pocket list. Greninja wasn't as graceful as :4corrinf:, nor as disgustingly disrespectful as :4mewtwo:, and they don't hold a dogdamn candle to :4zss: (then again, what does? :p). The only thing Greninja had going for it for me was the :substitute: thingy that sometimes shows up, an interesting Side-B, and at least being slightly more fun then :4sheik:. Other then that, Greninja feels way too rigid for a rushdown or zoner character but too underpowered for a grappler. Oh, and remember that :substitute: I mentioned? Guess what move Greninja uses to make that adorable plushy appear? If you guessed anything other then "Another mother****ing Down-B Counter," then I assume you haven't played Smash 4, which is understandable considering the Wii U sold like dirt-in-a-box and the 3DS version is pretty much completely ignored by the smash community at large.
Number 7- :ultfalco:. He's the awkward middle child between the overrated competitive smash meme (:ultfox:) and the slower, more powerful variant with a less ear-grating voice that has enough of a distinguished moveset from the aforementioned meme to justify them staying in (:ultwolf:). Falco is neither the fastest nor the strongest; instead he decides to park his car smack-dab in the middle of the road where it will then proceed to get run over from both sides of the street. Yeah no, flock off, feather face. If you loved the air so much, you should've stayed out of the ****ing landmaster.
Number 6- :ultdoc:. Why did they bring you back for Smash 4, again? and not as an alternate costume? Were ya'll seriously so determined to not take advantage of the potential of custom moves that you purposefully brought this embarressment of a melee character back just so you could justify preventing Mario from having a Down-B that wasn't his godawful F.L.U.D.D.? Utterly shameful. Rip this freeloader off the roster, make him an alternate costume of regular mario, and put that F.L.U.D.D. in the ****ing trash already!
Number 5- :ultpichu:. Yes, I find Pichu absolutely adorable. Yes, they're one of my favorite unevolved Pokemon as a result. Yes, Gen 2 deserves representation. However, are we seriously okay with Gen 2 having its only representation be a semi-clone that's objectively worse then the original?
Number 4 & 3- :ultyounglink: & :ulttoonlink:. Consider this a two-for-one special on fixing the Legend of Zelda's disastrously outdated character roster. This series hasn't had fresh blood added to its roster in 17 ****ing years (and no, replacing one smol, more agile link for another smol, more agile link is not an update, nor is making a transformation character's forms seperate and giving them both shiny new Down-B's to compensate). We don't need the Smol Links anymore because Smash 4 improved regular Link's mobility enough to make him actually worth playing. Young Link takes slightly less priority in getting the axe then Toon Link purely because of his Fire Arrows, which could theoretically be given to regular Link or an echo fighter of his as well, but until then, he has something other then speed that differentiates him from the original.
Number 2- :ultpokemontrainer:. While Zelda and Samus took the hint that when I ask the game to have me fight a Mario or Zelda CPU, that means I want the game to have me fight against a Mario or Zelda CPU, not against a Mario or Zelda CPU "until it gets bored and switches to Not Mario and there's no way to change it back other then to just wait until the CPU gets bored again." Unfortunately, Pokemon Trainer didn't take the hint with this and reared his ugly head back in Ultimate. I'm pretty sure Project M had these characters separated from eachother for a reason, and it sure as hell wasn't just to pad out Squirtle's moveset, I'll tell you that much! And even if they did seperate these characters, I'm still left with two unevolved starters, making everything completely lopsided. Pokemon's representation skews far too heavily in favor of Gen 1 thanks to this ONE, ****ING, CHARACTER. If you have to keep Charizard, fine. They were one of my least favorites to play in Smash 4 because of how overweight and clunky Nintendo somehow made a FLYING Pokemon feel, but Charizard's an iconic character (real iconic, not Ubisoft iconic) who has absolutely deserved his place in the Smash roster, unlike a couple other characters on this list. A shame that people don't feel the same way about Blastoise or Venusaur, however, and quite frankly if we can't have those two, then we don't need their pre-evolved forms, either.
Number 1- :ultroy:. Oh, how I "um"'d; oh, how I "ah"'d; ah, who I "oh"'d, between this and Pokemon Trainer. Fire Emblem gets a bad rap from the Smash community-- some of it deserved (from what I've heard, this series takes every mistake Anime makes and runs with it), some of it not so much --and there isn't really any one fix to the issues people have with its roster. Every Fire Emblem character in Smash has done "something" to "deserve" their spot, but they're all sword lords with very little in the way of diversity. All of them except, however, for Roy. He was an advertisement character for Melee, but unlike Ike and Corrin, he was added in as a clone because resource constraints. He was then cut in brawl due to those same constraints, leading people to believe he had been replaced by the by far more unique, more beloved-outside-of-Japan, somewhat-competitively-superior Ike. Then they bring him back in Smash 4 as paid DLC (Ike brought back in base game), this time trying their damnedest to declone the scrappy, except this winds up being a short-term-gain, long-term-loss as with the advent of Echo Fighters, as thanks to that concept, it's now confirmed that semi-clones take more effort to make then Echo Fighters, so Lucina now comes free with every Marth, while Roy on the other is now taking up resources that people would probably prefer being sent to someone else (Lyn and Hector are the ones I hear thrown around most often, but Egelgard could be seen as one as well). Oh, and the most immediately recognizable parts of a characters movesets? Their Specials? You still share a Down-B and Side-B with Marth and Martha and your other two specials still conceptually "function" the same way theirs do (Up-B is a slash attack that sends you upward and slightly forward, albeit slower and on fire)(Neutral-B is an attack that you can hold down to do things with, except instead of popping shields, you set people on fire), so the decloning efforts feel like they didn't do jack ****. It doesn't help that Chrom was then put in as a Roy Echo of all things, making Roy all the more hate-able by anyone who thinks Fire Emblem has too many characters. Now personally, I don't hate that there's a lot of Fire Emblem characters in Smash. I like playing as them in Smash, Roy included (well, in Smash 4, anyway). But when I look at all this **** surrounding Roy, I cannot in good conscience allow this utter conundrum of a character continue to plague the game's roster. Reign in Hell, Fire Marth.

:ultbayonetta:- DM due to not being fun to play, possession of a Down-B Counter, and because she's considered a nusiance to competitive play. Avoids getting cut because I'm a sucker for playable female character options, the Smash Ballot was a farce anyway, and people who cry foul at third-party inclusions, M-rated inclusions, etc. are even more insufferable then I am, which is saying a lot.
:ultbowserjr:- DM due to not being fun to play. Avoids getting cut because a failure to be personally fun to be is not as big of a priority.
:ultcorrin:- DM due to having many of the same issues as Roy (scrappy character, advertisement character, DLC character, possession of a Down-B counter). Avoids getting cut because unlike Roy, they have a unique moveset, Corrin's game has actually released outside of Japan, and Corrin doesn't have an Echo Fighter that serves as a hate magnet towards them. Also, I'm a sucker for playable female character options.
:ultlittlemac:- DM due to not being fun to play, for being infuriating to fight against, possession of a Down-B counter, and for just in general being an unwanted nuisance. BARELY avoids getting cut because I have bigger fish to fry then Rocky-Balboa-without-the-charm.
:ultpiranha:- DM due to not serving much purpose beyond punching down at an internet culture that ****ing deserves it. Avoids getting cut because him returning in Smash 6 could potentially cause the internet to absolutely lose its ****, and if that happens the internet might end up deserving it then, too.
:ultsheik:- DM due to contributing to the Zelda roster's issues, and for just not being all that fun to play. Avoids getting cut because Sheik does enough to visually distinguish themselves from Zelda, and there are other contenders more worthy of getting the axe, honestly.

ECHO CHARACTERS DO NOT COUNT, they are not dignified characters. They are purely bonus fighters, this concept won't change in a future Smash. They don't take up significant development time. You can't pick Dark Pit, Richter, etc. You must pick dignified primary characters; if you don't cut Pit, Dark Pit is essentially automatically in the game.
Thanking your post purely for this statement. Also, while I have you here, does Pokemon Trainer count as one cut or three?

All other lists are invalid
1: :ultbayonetta:
2: :ultbayonetta:
3: :ultbayonetta:
4: :ultbayonetta:
5: :ultbayonetta:
6: :ultbayonetta:
7: :ultbayonetta:
8: :ultbayonetta:
9: :ultbayonetta:
10: :4wiifitm:
You forgot someone :4bayonetta2:

Last edited:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
...Also, while I have you here, does Pokemon Trainer count as one cut or three?
Pokemon Trainer is one character. It is high unlikely they will ever be separated in a future Smash. I could put a special clause stating cutting the character is equivalent to 3x the amount of development time though(and thus probably 3 other fighters).

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
1.:ultbayonetta: Because I personally do not like her.
2.:ultpiranha: Because I hate fun.
3.:ultwiifittrainer:Because she has no unironic fans, and no, this isn't the united nations, things don't always need a "rep"
4.:ultcloud:Because his ties with Nintendo are abysmal.
5.:ultsnake:See above, but at least he had more appearances. Also at least I actually like him.
6.:ultjigglypuff:Because joke characters are funny the first time only.
7.:ultsheik:Because Impa would fill her role better.
8.:ultrosalina:Because she's not even close to being a Mario staple, and i'd argue her return kind of cheapens the character.
9. :ultisabelle: Because it's my opinion that Animal Crossing didn't need two characters, regardless of how succesful it is. A franchises success should not always be tied to the amount of fighters it gets imo.
10.:ultincineroar: Because I couldn't think of anyone else who isn't a clone and I don't like gen 7 vey much. ( first time i've never finished a main pokemon game )

I was also opperating under the assumption that I couldn't cut clones and semi-clones, but if clones were on the table, :ultyounglink:, :ultroy::ultpichu::ultdoc: would go and i'd keep :ultsnake::ultsheik::ultrosalina: and :ultjigglypuff: because I still have fondness in some form for these characters ( except Rosalina, I just think she brings something unique to the game. )

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
The 5 most logical cuts in my opinion...
:ultcloud: - Seems SE wants to play hard to get, best to just drop them right there then.
:ultyounglink: - LoZ could do better than 3 Links and 2 Zeldas.
:ultdoc: - Adds nothing to the roster really besides cosplay Mario.
:ultjigglypuff: - Her time has long passed, Original 12 shouldn't mean immunity and she has been low priority multiple times.
:ultpokemontrainer: - Bloats the roster in terms of both Pokemon and Gen 1. Seriously all this Pokemon hate would be smaller without PT existing.

I feel it gets more personal after those 5. I still tried to approach them logically though.

:ultmiifighters: - They're more so avatars than actual characters. And all the work going into 3 of them that has to be monitored for Online play. I personally find them pretty ugly.
:ultbayonetta: - I personally prefer 3rd party picks to relate more to major icons and/or classics like the Belmonts, Pacman, Sonic, etc. rather than some random new IP.
:ultzss: - With Metroid gaining some of it's villains to help it's presence on the roster, I really have a harder time justifying the sex appeal pandering of Samus as a fighter. Her character has always been built around the armor, so it's obvious what they were going for when stripping her down to tights.
:ultsheik: - A one off alter ego for Zelda is pretty weak as her own character. Again, LoZ can do better than 3 Links and 2 Zeldas.
:ultlucas: - Not quite feeling the appeal of two little boys that look and fight similar from a small series that didn't even reach global release for it's last game.

So my picks this time (it'll probably vary based on day/mood) are-
:ultcloud::ultyounglink::ultdoc::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer::ultmiifighters::ultbayonetta::ultzss::ultsheik::ultlucas:

No Fire Emblem Cuts?!?- Decided against it. Marth and Ike should be considered main stays as far as I'm concerned. Robin and Corrin are sporting unique kits. Roy being cut is awkward singly cause of his Smash fans being pretty loud and him sporting Chrom as his Echo who is another Smash (also FE) popular Lord. Chrom and Lucina are also Echoes and therefore safe in addition. Corrin, Lucina, and Roy are the three I consider the weakest. But I decided there were much more problematic additions in the grand scheme than these ones.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I love how we can’t even get through this game’s release without an insane number of of people talking about cutting fighters for the next Smash.

Also, the Mii Fighters absolutely have to count as three (and probably should count as more honestly given the work they require). A lot goes into those little ****ers including three completely different play styles with custom moves that are unique with each. Then you have to consider all of the size stuff and Mii costumes, etc. Counting them as one character is absurd.

Anyway if I HAD to cut 10:

:ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters: - Like I just said, they count as three. And I’m cutting all three for my own personal bias.

:ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: - I know they have their fans, but I also don’t hold anybody particular love for them and don’t see the need for 3 Links.

:ultroy: - It’s time to move on from Roy in my opinion. We’d get rid of a lot of Fire Emblem criticism by dropping him (and by extension Chrom) since that would just leave us with Marth and Lucina of the 4 Marth’s.

:ultpichu: - He’s a Pikachu clone, and the most expendable of a franchise that already has a ton of representation.

:ultdoc: - I love playing as him for some reason,but he’s definitely the most expendable unique character on the cast...

:ultcloud: - I hate to lose him, but I doubt we can keep getting Square to play ball for future releases if they really are going to be obstinate about content.

:ultlucas: - He’s really only on here because I’m one short of having ten on the list. He does play different enough, but I’m not sure Mother really needs two reps to be honest.

Only the Mii Fighters would be the major loss of gameplay variety. And I personally pretty well despise them, so I’ll make that call. Replace them with a generic Wii Sports moveset and you’ll be fine in my eyes.

Only Cloud and Lucas hurt to cut from the rest of the list for me. I may enjoy the others semi clones, but they’re pretty easy to drop. And Cloud just feels like a cut waiting to happen unfortunately as is... So really just Lucas is the biggest loss of my cuts.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah I'd much rather just get expanded ports of Ultimate for the rest of time rather than cut characters.

But if I were to choose for myself 10 to cut

:ultbayonetta: - Never wanted her and she's a pain to fight. Game would be superior without her
:ultdoc: - Shrug
:ultduckhunt: - I appreciate the retro appeal and he's cute but man he's just not fun to play as/against
:ultlucario: - He always seems like a half-baked choice to me. And while I personally love Gen IV, I always felt Game Freak tried too hard to make Lucario a thing
:ultmarth: - I know he's the OG but I just vastly prefer :ultroy::ultchrom::ultlucina:. Since Echoes are off the table, that left it between Marth and Roy and well... Brawl days were dark times for me as a Melee Roy main. Marth was never as fun
:ultpichu: - Just a gimmick, though an adorable one
:ultmiifighters: - Just a gimmick, but not an adorable one
:ultyounglink: - If he's not unique, but he's unique enough to not be an echo? It's weird
:ultcloud: - His inclusion always seemed odd to me since it was his game that Square betrayed Nintendo with
:ultpacman: - He isn't particularly fun aside from Hydrant play

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Aside from top 10, here's everyone I'd cut:
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc:(Becomes a Mario alt):ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultlucina:(becomes a Marth alt) :ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit:(Pit alt) :ultgnw::ultrob::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultdarksamus:(Samus alt) :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultyounglink::ultzss:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer is one character. It is high unlikely they will ever be separated in a future Smash. I could put a special clause stating cutting the character is equivalent to 3x the amount of development time though(and thus probably 3 other fighters).
Pokémon Trainer would technically be three characters. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have their own movesets and I'm sure one is better than the other. It's like saying Samus and Zero Suit Samus are the same character or that Zelda is the same as Sheik. Yes, outside of Super Smash Bros., they're the same, but when each character can be played, then they're different.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Damn it seems like we get this same thread at least 10 times a day. How many "cut 10 of these", "cut 20 of these", "cut 15 of those" are we gonna get? Can't we just not worry about cuts and focus on the game that hasn't even been released (outside of Mexico) yet?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Damn it seems like we get this same thread at least 10 times a day. How many "cut 10 of these", "cut 20 of these", "cut 15 of those" are we gonna get? Can't we just not worry about cuts and focus on the game that hasn't even been released (outside of Mexico) yet?
I said this earlier....but we really need an official thread for these kind of things. It seems like the community is way more interested in boasting about cutting fighters they don't like than anything else.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Pokémon Trainer would technically be three characters. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have their own movesets and I'm sure one is better than the other. It's like saying Samus and Zero Suit Samus are the same character or that Zelda is the same as Sheik. Yes, outside of Super Smash Bros., they're the same, but when each character can be played, then they're different.
Nintendo has defined them as one so they are one. I am well aware of how different they are from each other, and how they are basically each individually their own unique character. Like I said, it is highly unlikely Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur will be separated again. I don't think we will see another solo-Charizard style thing happen again, and that's the main point I'm making. I'm sure they also don't want to just delete Pokemon Trainer as a character given how important that character itself is. For this sake they are considered an "all or nothing" package, no separating, no solo-Zard, etc. So for this specific exercise they are one, all-or-nothing character.

I get it, but you do have to realize that we very well could be faced with this in the future. Wouldn't it be useful if the Smash community had their top 10 cuts clearly laid out that Nintendo could easily see? I'm not saying we need to make this big effort right now to show them who we would choose to be cut as a community if we must, but that we should just have an answer for it. Having the discussion starting now I think is healthier than frantically thinking later when a new Smash is possibly announced. It is better if the most-voted cut characters are cut by Nintendo than least voted. That's all I'm doing this for, just to have an answer ready when the time comes. It's just a preparation thing, and so we won't be surprised by it either.

I said this earlier....but we really need an official thread for these kind of things. It seems like the community is way more interested in boasting about cutting fighters they don't like than anything else.
Some might be boasting but I'm not. I'm just analyzing data(aside from some trolls voting Mario and etc). And feel free to contact a mod to make this a sticky, I just made this spur of the moment. And see my response to Mariomaniac.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I get it, but you do have to realize that we very well could be faced with this in the future. Wouldn't it be useful if the Smash community had their top 10 cuts clearly laid out that Nintendo could easily see? I'm not saying we need to make this big effort right now to show them who we would choose to be cut as a community if we must, but that we should just have an answer for it. Having the discussion starting now I think is healthier than frantically thinking later when a new Smash is possibly announced. It is better if the most-voted cut characters are cut by Nintendo than least voted. That's all I'm doing this for, just to have an answer ready when the time comes. It's just a preparation thing, and so we won't be surprised by it either..
Yes I get that but why do we need 10 different versions of the same thread? All you have to do is use the search button and just revive one of the other threads. Just seems pointless to keep making the same thread over and over again.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Top 10 of what I think is gonna be cut:
:ultwiifittrainer:
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
:ultpichu:
:ultpiranha:
:ultsnake:
:ultyounglink:
:ultbayonetta:
:ultcloud:
:ultdoc: (And as a Dr.Mario lover that hurt)
:ultduckhunt:
:ultisabelle:
:ultsimon::ultrichter:

What I want to be cut:

:ultwiifittrainer:
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
:ultbayonetta:
:ultcloud:
:ultpiranha:

I don't want to cut anyone. I prefer to have a little amount of newcomers than having to cut characters.
It's funny how my mains (:ultgnw::ultrob::ultdoc: except :ultluigi:) are highly choose to be cut

Last edited:

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
1. :ultrob:. By far the most worthless (design-wise), boring character in the game.
2. :ultlucas:. I hope this one counts. Could have just been a costume for all i care.
3. :ultmegaman:. I dont want him removed necesserally, just swap it with the weird adult Mega Man.
4. :ultbowserjr:. Boring, boring, boring.
5. :ultrosalina:. Never understood this bland characters popularity.
6. :ultpalutena:. Same here.
7. :ultdiddy:. Just go.
8. :ultvillager:. So bland.
9. :ultpacman:. Its not like i dislike Pacman, just his design. Id rather have a 2d Pacman, like this picture.
10. :ultrobin:. Who is he and why should i care?

Wii Fit Trainer, consider yourself lucky.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Nintendo has defined them as one so they are one. I am well aware of how different they are from each other, and how they are basically each individually their own unique character. Like I said, it is highly unlikely Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur will be separated again. I don't think we will see another solo-Charizard style thing happen again, and that's the main point I'm making. I'm sure they also don't want to just delete Pokemon Trainer as a character given how important that character itself is. For this sake they are considered an "all or nothing" package, no separating, no solo-Zard, etc. So for this specific exercise they are one, all-or-nothing character.
Nintendo may have defined PT as one character, but the three aren't the same, and you're aware of this. It doesn't matter if the characters won't be separated again.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Who would I cut....oh boy.
:ultpichu: Easiest choice ever, a ****tier Pikachu, and a horrible gen2 rep, get it out.

:ultbayonetta: I wasn't a fan of her before, and with how unbalanced she is in smash I just kinda want her out. Also she's ugly.

:ultmarth: The most uninteresting FE character (we'd get to get rid of Lucina as a bonus), the rest of the FE crew are fine.

:ultisabelle: Make her an echo, the only reason she is somewhat unique was for advertisement purposes so casuals will buy smash and smashers might try AC, smart business move tho.

:ultjigglypuff: Too many pokemon, and too many gen 1, :ultpokemontrainer::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo: are all we need from it.

:ultyounglink:
:ulttoonlink: I like these two more than :ultlink: but we don't need 3 Links who are "basically" the same. YLink/TLink have other moveset potential, disgusting that Sakurai doesn't put any thought into the Zelda representation.

:ultdoc: Echo, or even just an alt.

:ulticeclimbers: I didnt miss them.

:ultlittlemac: He's trash and no one picks him, gimmicky KO punch is the only reason a few people even attempt to play him seriously. Noobs can pick up another character to spam smashes with :p

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think that it's safe to assume that 3rd party characters would suffer much more cuts than Nintendo characters. Because they maybe need to pay some money to have the characters, maybe there are difficults in contracts, challenges in publicity, maybe the companies don't really like their characters associated with Nintendo characters anymore... So, if I need to cut 10 characters, it would be firstly on the 3rd party characters list.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I ain’t cutting nobody. They all have a place in Smash whether you like the characters or not.

Ciro Blanco

Smash Cadet
1-:ultbayonetta:
2-:ultcorrin:
3-:ultdoc: (Mario skin with neutral b and side smash visual effect)
4-:ultincineroar:
5-:ultpichu:
6-:ulttoonlink:
7-:ultsnake:
8-:ultduckhunt:
9-:ultpiranha: (I think is funny but just one smash is enough)
10-:ultjigglypuff:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo may have defined PT as one character, but the three aren't the same, and you're aware of this. It doesn't matter if the characters won't be separated again.
Of course it matters. You're debating me on a technicality of whether they are literally 3 characters and forgetting the context of what you're arguing. I already said I regard them as 3 because they essentially are. But I'm considering them in the proper context of characters being cut(what this thread is about). You miss the forest for the trees.

Which is more likely?

A) Pokemon Trainer is cut as a whole (this is considering them one character)

or

B) Pokemon Trainer + Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut, leaving solo-Zard again. (this is considering them separate)
Solo-Squirtle is virtually an impossbility
Solo-Ivy is virtually an impossibility

Solo-PKMN Trainer is impossible

If I consider them separate characters, like you apparently want me to, then I would have to give people the option to cut Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard separately. So in some situations people could vote to have a solo-Ivysaur by cutting the 2 or "3" others. That wouldn't make sense, they are a unit; one character. They are not to be separated or considered to be separate. But again, the point is that it is highly unlikely they will be separated in the future, so it doesn't make sense to act as if they will be when cutting characters. You cut one, you cut them all. They were separated due to the 3DS, so they are a unit from now-on since hardware limitations are not playing a role.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Of course it matters. You're debating me on a technicality of whether they are literally 3 characters and forgetting the context of what you're arguing. I already said I regard them as 3 because they essentially are. But I'm considering them in the proper context of characters being cut(what this thread is about). You miss the forest for the trees.

Which is more likely?

A) Pokemon Trainer is cut as a whole (this is considering them one character)

or

B) Pokemon Trainer + Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut, leaving solo-Zard again. (this is considering them separate)
Solo-Squirtle is virtually an impossbility
Solo-Ivy is virtually an impossibility
Solo-PKMN Trainer is impossible

If I consider them separate characters, like you apparently want me to, then I would have to give people the option to cut Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard separately. So in some situations people could vote to have a solo-Ivysaur by cutting the 2 or "3" others. That wouldn't make sense, they are a unit; one character. They are not to be separated or considered to be separate. But again, the point is that it is highly unlikely they will be separated in the future, so it doesn't make sense to act as if they will be when cutting characters. You cut one, you cut them all. They were separated due to the 3DS, so they are a unit from now-on since hardware limitations are not playing a role.
In example A, "one" is not understood as a singular value like every other character is. If you treat PT as "one" in the sense of being like a set with sub-sets, fine. I've no issue with this. Just be sure not to equivocate "one". Also, example B errs by adding PT. You don't actually play as PT. You play as the Pokémon PT carries.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
^ The original post you responded to(emphasis added). Did you not read it when I stated PKMN Trainer can have a special clause? In no sense whatsoever did I equate Pokemon Trainer as a singular value like say Wolf. I very clearly defined their value to 3x the amount of development time of other characters. Come on man.

And to be clear, I'm not making some definitive statement like: "THEY ARE ONE CHARACTER JUST LIKE WOLF IS." It seems like you are implying I am saying that, and if so, please don't insult my intelligence. Everyone knows Pokemon Trainer is not literally one character.

In example A, "one" is not understood as a singular value like every other character is. If you treat PT as "one" in the sense of being like a set with sub-sets, fine. I've no issue with this. Just be sure not to equivocate "one". Also, example B errs by adding PT. You don't actually play as PT. You play as the Pokémon PT carries.
Yes, example A is not the same value as other characters. But for the purposes of this thread(the entire point and context of why we are speaking) they are one character for the many reasons I laid out.

Example B does not err, it seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing. Do you honestly think I am stating Pokemon Trainer itself is a character likened to Squirtle/Ivysaur? If you want to be really technical and nitpicky, you actually DO play as PT. PT is giving the orders(which you input) to the Pokemon. That is the entire concept behind the character. Also, Down-B is unequivocally PT's special, exclusive move that the Pokemon do NOT use. So yes, you do play as PT. But let's not argue useless technicalities and move on.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Aside from top 10, here's everyone I'd cut:
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc:(Becomes a Mario alt):ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultlucina:(becomes a Marth alt) :ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit:(Pit alt) :ultgnw::ultrob::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultdarksamus:(Samus alt) :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultyounglink::ultzss:
Care to elaborate a little bit on this? I’m seriously confused why you would willingly cut so many characters, including the entirity of Animal Crossing from Smash...

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Care to elaborate a little bit on this? I’m seriously confused why you would willingly cut so many characters, including the entirity of Animal Crossing from Smash...
Ok, here goes:
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultken:: Third parties, I would rather not have them.
:ultdoc::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus:: Simply become alts of the fighters they're clones of, since I don't find any of them to be too interesting to begin with (Except for Dark Samus, but she/it would be better as an alt).
:ultcorrin:: Blatant advertisement.
:ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob:: Not a big fan of the whole "retro fighter" idea, although I'll admit I like R.O.B. more than the others, so I might keep him if given the chance.
:ultisabelle::ultvillager:: AC isn't a fighting oriented game with literally no combat or conflict features within it. AC works better as stages and ATs in Smash IMO.
:ultlittlemac:: Boring low tier that poorly tries to bend the rules in Smash.
:ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters:: These three weren't well executed to begin with.
:ultpichu:: Not even an alt of Pikachu since it's a different evolution, bad Gen 2 rep, boring clone.
:ultpiranha:: I don't think I need to explain this one.
:ultroy::ultchrom:: 2 Boring Marth clones in one spot. Kill 2 birds with one stone.
:ultwiifittrainer:: See the AC characters.
:ultyounglink:: Boring clone. Unlike Toon Link, however, this character also represents little games that aren't already represented by others.
:ultzss:: This one should transform from Samus using Shield + B.

D

Deleted member

It never fails to amaze me how eager this community can be when it comes to removing characters.

But since you asked, in no particular order:
:ultdoc:
:ulttoonlink:
:ultpichu:
Either :ultpokemontrainer: or :ultmewtwo:
:ultlucario:
Either :ultgreninja: or :ultincineroar:
:ultroy:
:ultchrom:
Either :ultike:or :ultcorrin:
:ultmiifighters:
inb4 I get put on blast by Pokemon and Fire Emblem fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
In my Super Smash Bros. Eternity (the 6th pretend game) here are the 14 cut characters:
:ultlucas:: Mother 3 will never be outside of Japan
:ultjigglypuff:: Who asked for her? (I know she was popular)
:ultcorrinf:: Everyone. Hates. Male. and we didn't need another FE rep
:ultwiifittrainer:: Wii Fit is dead
:ultpichu:: Would prefer Heracross for Gen 2 instead of this Pikaclone
:ultyounglink:: Wasted ideas with his masks
:ulttoonlink:: We didn't need 3 Links
:ultroy:: Uninteresting and fans hate him
:ultrosalina:: Waluigi and Daisy get no attention in mainline Mario games cause of her getting overused
:ultcloud:: No history with Nintendo
:ultzss:: Horny pervs with fan-service and her being stronger than Power Suit
:ultsheik:: Only appeared in one main game and that's it (Hyrule warriors doesn't count)
:ultdoc:: Someone wanted him as a alt, wasted slot
:ultlucario:: Hated cause Mewtwo got replaced
:ultlucina:: Too much fire emblem
:ultchrom:: Same above
Edit: Removed Isabelle and Snake

Last edited:

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
:ultdoc::ultpichu::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultbowserjr::ultroy::ultrobin::ulticeclimbers::ultlucas::ulttoonlink:

These are all either characters with obvious similarities to other ones (Dr. Mario, Pichu, Lucas) that make them less interesting to me, or characters with less significance to Nintendo as a whole outside of Smash Bros., like Ice Climbers, Cloud, Roy, Corrin, or Robin.

I would also cut Lucina but keep Chrom, making the FE roster Marth/Ike/Chrom, with some room for potentially another non-sword user from the series getting added. That feels a lot more representative of the franchise to me, without going overboard on the number of characters.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Quite easy:

1. :ultcloud: Okay his game got out on Switch, but still, lot implied he wasn't even really meant to return for Ultimate. I never liked him personally either.
2. :ultmiifighters: Since they count as one character. I don't feel they are needed.
3. :ultrichter: Echo, and not the face of the franchise like Simon.
4. :ultdarksamus: Echo, and a literal dead character. If she returns in Prime 4, she can stay.
5. :ultpiranha: Bad choice for a character I feel.
6. :ultpacman: Annoying moveset, unappealing to me as well.
7. :ulticeclimbers: Never missed them in Smash 4.
8. :ultisabelle: Never felt she was much needed honestly. The least original of the non-Echo characters as well.
9. :ultwiifittrainer: Wii Fit is no longer a running franchise it seems. I also haven't encountered anyone who plays her unironically.
10. :ultsheik: Now that her popularity has faded yet again due to no longer being a Top Tier, she can just leave. Impa can inherrit most of her playstyle, and there's bound to be other Sheikah in newer Zelda titles, if it's not gonna be Impa who's the leader yet again.

Others I would also consider to cut are: :ultdoc::ultdarkpit: either :ulttoonlink: or :ultyounglink: :ultsnake: (will probably happen anyway) :ultken:.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Point in Richter's favor seems to be that he was highly requested in the Ballot. Simon in a way may have gotten in because of him since, ya know, he's Simon.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
There aren't really any characters I would want to see go. If I had to they would be echoes, but the OP doesn't seem to like that choice for some reason.

I don't think the world would end if joke characters didn't return, or otherwise clones (which are apparently valid even though echoes aren't).

:ultpiranha::ultpichu::ultdoc::ultisabelle::ultlucas: I think these ones would be some of the less missed.
:ultgreninja: has outlived its significance. "Arbitrary starter from current pogey gen" isn't really an outstanding choice for a rep. I'm a little more hesitant with Incineroar because he plays more uniquely than just being water Sheik.
:ultyounglink: I really hate to say this one because I love him so much more than Toon Link, but Toon represents such a larger body of Zelda games. I would hope if they removed YL they would at least migrate some of his movements onto Toon, maybe.
:ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf: I'm still not convinced the rotating characters are a good idea.
:ultroy: I'm really starting to reach here. It's Roy or Falco, and Falco has a perfect attendance record thus far.
:ultwolf: Only because Sheik also has that perfect attendance record.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Well shoot, gotta update.
:ultbayonetta::ultike::ultcorrin::ultroy:(+:ultchrom:):ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultpalutena::ultjoker:

Reason being I never had any desire to see them in Smash and don't feel they have anything interesting to offer in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom