• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For a future Smash, who are your top 10 cuts to the roster?

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
As Sakurai has stated:
I think that “Everyone is here!” is something that won’t be repeated. Anything is possible, of course, so I can’t rule anything out entirely, but I still think this won’t happen again.
This is a very real conundrum we could have to face in the future, given what Sakurai said. So if we were given no other option but to make roster cuts, who would you cut? Which characters do you personally have the least affinity for? Who are you least favorites? Who would you choose to cut?

Fill this survey out so we can get some data on this: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PWJN9ZV
(Don't worry it's quick and easy, just check the 10 characters and you're done)

EDIT: ECHO CHARACTERS DO NOT COUNT, they are not dignified characters. They are purely bonus fighters, this concept won't change in a future Smash. They don't take up significant development time. You can't pick Dark Pit, Richter, etc. You must pick dignified primary characters; if you don't cut Pit, Dark Pit is essentially automatically in the game.

EDIT AGAIN: Mii FIGHTERS = 1 FIGHTER. You can't separately list Mii Brawler, Gunner, and Swordsman. They count as one character, like a trinity.

Another thing for clarity because I forgot to state this: This poll is based on your personal taste primarily, not necessarily objective reasoning. This is not based on who SHOULD be cut, but who you would like to see cut most personally. I'm trying to get a feel of who are the least beloved characters in Smash. I'm not totally asking to throw out logic, but to use your personal taste. If you are a die-hard Pichu fan yet who thinks he would be a logical cut for a future Smash, then please don't vote him. Vote based on WHO YOU LIKE/DISLIKE as a character. If you feel absolutely unbiased, then go ahead and base it on your logical reasoning if you must. I would rather know who you personally are least attached to, though. Granted, this post would be more effective after we had time playing the game to develop least-favorites.

Remember: Keep it civil! We all have least favorites.

Also, feel free to post your top 10 here. My picks ranked from who I most want cut to least wanted:

1. Mii Fighters
No explanation needed, imo. Obvious pick.

2. Pichu
Obvious pick. I do not care about Pichu, although it is a fun trolly cutesy character. Nice to have as a bonus, but absolutely not worth it if it takes away from another character.

3. Dr. Mario
Actually one of my favorite characters, but he can go for obvious reasons. Nice to have as a bonus, but absolutely not worth it if it takes away from another character.

4. Jigglypuff
Yes, I know, its an original 8 character. But to be honest nobody really cares about Jiggs as a character. Playstyle, yeah sure. I think it's fun playing as Jigglypuff, but the character is so irrelevant. The only reason she continues to have legitimacy is because she was in the original Smash. And to me, I would break that rule for someone else. Another Pokemon would be better than Jigg.

5. Lucas
Love playing as Lucas, but he can go. Not worth the slot, same deal with 1 and 2.

6. Bowser Jr.
Ah one of my most wanted newcomers for Smash 4. If he wasn't implemented as a proxy for Koopalings and battled on-foot, I would've enjoyed the character. But as he is implemented I don't touch this character. He has no personality or flare; because he has to be a skeleton for different Koopalings. Although he is an important Mario character, I think he lacks some appeal in Smash.

7. Ridley
Trigger warning: I still believe Ridley is too big and looks awkward in Smash Ultimate. I've gotten used to the idea, but it still looks awkward for me to see him the same size as Charizard and look arguably less imposing. Maybe if he was a hint larger and less hunched I could get behind him. But as Ridley is currently implemented, I would definitely choose him to be cut. The only reason he is not #1 is because Ridley fans would go absolutely bonkers if he was cut.

8. Piranha Plant
Doesn't matter how well executed he is, or unique. As a character, a standalone character, he can be cut. Although very recognizable...it's Piranha Plant. A generic enemy from Mario. There are plenty more "legitimate" characters than the plant.

9: Corrin
FE fans don't even like this character apparently. In Smash he's fun to play as, but as a character he was DOA. Therefore, he is expendable.

10: Robin
Robin is an alright character, pretty unique. But Fire Emblem can definitely afford to lose some "reps" and Robin lacks the star power in Smash. I think his time came and went tbh.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
All other lists are invalid
1: :ultbayonetta:
2: :ultbayonetta:
3: :ultbayonetta:
4: :ultbayonetta:
5: :ultbayonetta:
6: :ultbayonetta:
7: :ultbayonetta:
8: :ultbayonetta:
9: :ultbayonetta:
10: :4wiifitm:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I make this list not out of characters I hate like some will, but those I believe will be cut for more practical reasons...like being 3rd party or not Nintendo enough.

1. Cloud (makes me sad, but he wont be in another smash if they make a new one from scratch.
2. Bayonetta
3. ROB
4. Wii fit trainer
5. Greninja
6. Inceroar
7. Pichu
8. Ryu/Ken
9. Simon/Richter
10. Most of the Fire Emblem characters

MY hope and what they SHOULD do is keep smash ultimate alive. Once the initial DLC wave is over, still release a new character, stage and some music every 6 months or so. Maybe make new modes as time progresses. Keep adding to the perfect game. Keep patching it. New console releases? Make a port with the characters to date in it. I think it would be foolish to even try to revamp the franchise after this game with far less options. Smash ultimate should be revolutionary in the sense that it never dies...they just keep on adding, even if that means we eventually have over 100 characters and 400 stages...maybe toss in a new item every year or so. This game really has the potential to never die. My opinion.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
MY hope and what they SHOULD do is keep smash ultimate alive. Once the initial DLC wave is over, still release a new character, stage and some music every 6 months or so. Maybe make new modes as time progresses. Keep adding to the perfect game. Keep patching it. New console releases? Make a port with the characters to date in it. I think it would be foolish to even try to revamp the franchise after this game with far less options. Smash ultimate should be revolutionary in the sense that it never dies...they just keep on adding, even if that means we eventually have over 100 characters and 400 stages...maybe toss in a new item every year or so. This game really has the potential to never die. My opinion.
Hahaha! What do you think Sakurai and his team are gods with unlimited resources? There is a reason it has to end at some point. A fighting game with so many unique characters will become a burden to maintain for Sakurai and the team if you keep adding to it.

But you are right. This is the Ultimate Smash and people simply won't accept a new Smash with less content. That's why the next Smash needs to be something new entirely.

Technically speaking, all characters as we know them will be cut. Mario will not be the same Mario. Donkey Kong will not be the same Donkey Kong.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I don't like threads like this because they foster negativity. I guess I could see Cloud getting cut for practical reasons--would've been funny if E3 introduced this game by saying "EVERYONE IS HERE EXCEPT FOR CLOUD!"

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I make this list not out of characters I hate like some will, but those I believe will be cut for more practical reasons...like being 3rd party or not Nintendo enough.

1. Cloud (makes me sad, but he wont be in another smash if they make a new one from scratch.
2. Bayonetta
3. ROB
4. Wii fit trainer
5. Greninja
6. Inceroar
7. Pichu
8. Ryu/Ken
9. Simon/Richter
10. Most of the Fire Emblem characters
He said 10 not 9+arbitrary amount of characters from a certain series. At least my 0 effort garbage post sort of adhered to that smh lol

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't understand why you'd cut Robin and Corrin, possibly the most unique characters from Fire Emblem's line up when we have four flavours of Marth now and you want to cut some off the series.

I adore Roy, Lucina and Chrom to the point the boys are my favourites but axing these three is far less odd than removing the one magic and one transformation character the series has.

Personally I'd dispose of dual characters first: Dr. Mario, Young Link, Toon Link and even Zero Suit Samus and Sheik. If they can't exist canonically together they get the chop. Just personal choice. Pichu can coexist with Pikachu so that's fine as can Dark Pit with Pit.

That's five down.

I'd axe Lucas and Roy so there's no region exclusives (although with Fire Emblem Heroes does Roy count as that anymore?) to take me to seven.

The plant, as cool as it is, is really hard to justify over any other cuts so I guess he's next taking me to eight.

I know the Wii series is huge and although I love her, I think the Mii are a better overall representative of the Wii era than Wii Fit Trainer so she'd be my next taking me to nine.

Lastly I don't think Castlevania needs two characters, certainly less so than Street Fighter does so Richter gets the boot for me.

Final cuts::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultsheik::ultzss::ultlucas::ultroy::ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer::ultrichter:

Edit: Since Echo's weren't included swap Richter for Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Young Link or Toon Link (keep 1, leaning towards toon)
Falco (I prefer wolf)
Rosalina
Greninja
Incineroar
Ice Climbers
ROB
Duck Hunt

Roy barely misses getting cut

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
Either I straight up don't like them (:ultroy::ultsheik::ultcloud::ultlucario::ultvillager:), or it just makes too much sense to me to see them get cut (:ultzss::ultmiifighters::ultpiranha::ultwiifittrainer:)

And then there's :ultbowserjr:, who I swear half of the time, I forget he's even in the game at all.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Mario, Link, Kirby, Fox, Sonic, Megaman, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Donkey Kong and Sheik.
Sakurai and team works their asses off (and snake as off even!) to have no cuts, and people are going "who we would cut"???

:(

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
1. :ultbayonetta:
2. :ultcloud:
3. :ultchrom:
4. :ultrichter:
5. :ultdarksamus:
6. :ultdoc: (change him to an alternate costume)
7. :ultdarkpit:

I'd keep everyone else but since I must...
8. :ultyounglink: (it hurts having to put you here)
9. :ultpichu: (ouch my heart)
10. :ultmiifighters:(it hurts)

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Not worth it...I will just ignore the douche. Love that feature!

Last edited:

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
I love every character none of them should be cut.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
It was hard, because I ignored echoes, but ultimately I'd take out:

:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultjigglypuff::ultlucas::ultpichu::ultroy::ultwolf::ultyounglink:

Although I'd really rather not remove any of these characters

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177

fine I'll ignore echo characters :glare:

:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultroy::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultmiifighters::ultfalco::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt:

HAPPY!? :mad: ... :sadeyes:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
ECHO CHARACTERS DO NOT COUNT! Sorry for making OP unclear.

:ultgnw::ultdoc::ultolimar::ultduckhunt::ultdarkpit::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultwiifittrainer:

that was incredibly easy...
Please edit your post if you can. Echo characters do NOT count. Sorry I didn't clarify.

Mario, Link, Kirby, Fox, Sonic, Megaman, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Donkey Kong and Sheik.
Sakurai and team works their ***** off (and snake as off even!) to have no cuts, and people are going "who we would cut"???

:(
This topic is not based on spite, hatred, or anything negative. I am doing this solely for the sake of assessing who the Smash community would collectively deem most desirable to be cut if we HAD to. This topic is based on Sakurai's statements, that a future Smash may have to come with roster cuts. This is to just get some minds thinking about this ahead of time.

Thanks for the list but please edit/repost your list WITHOUT echo characters because they do not qualify. Sorry for being unclear.

Topics like this are disheartening to see, honestly I have no desire to cut anyone.
I am of the same opinion, I don't want any cuts. However this is based on if we HAD to make cuts for a new Smash, based on Sakurai's statements. So if you can, put that aside for the sake of this poll and vote as if you had no choice but to make cuts. Who would you cut if you absolutely had to?

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I am of the same opinion, I don't want any cuts. However this is based on if we HAD to make cuts for a new Smash, based on Sakurai's statements. So if you can, put that aside for the sake of this poll and vote as if you had no choice but to make cuts. Who would you cut if you absolutely had to?
I'm sorry but I can't bring myself to participate in cutting characters especially that much(the only characters I dislike are the Miis and even then I know they have fans too) I wouldn't be able to decide which ones to pick. I know that it's something that can happen but I don't want to think about it, especially when I lost Wolf...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultmiifighters:
:ultmiifighters: or:ultrob:
:ultmiifighters: or:ulticeclimbers:
:ultdoc:
:ultcorrin:
:ultroy:
:ultpichu:
:ultjigglypuff:
:ulttoonlink:
:ultpiranha:

I've done my best to be as unbiased as possible during this, but
These characters of all seem like they'd have the least amount of people be sad for their exclusion.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Thanks for the list but please edit/repost your list WITHOUT echo characters because they do not qualify. Sorry for being unclear.
Already did my updated post it’s the one b4 yours

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry but I can't bring myself to participate in cutting characters especially that much(the only characters I dislike are the Miis and even then I know they have fans too) I wouldn't be able to decide which ones to pick. I know that it's something that can happen but I don't want to think about it, especially when I lost Wolf...
Hey that's cool I get it. I was definitely upset about Wolf I know how that feels.

:ultmiifighters: 1
:ultmiifighters:2
:ultmiifighters:3
:ultroy:
:ultjigglypuff:
:ulttoonlink:
:ultpiranha:

These characters of all seem like they'd have the least amount of people be sad for their exclusion.
The 3 Miis count as one fighter(Mii Fighters). Forgot to say that too lol.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey that's cool I get it. I was definitely upset about Wolf I know how that feels.

The 3 Miis count as one fighter(Mii Fighters). Forgot to say that too lol.
:ultrob: and :ulticeclimbers: it is then.

D

Deleted member

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultfalcon:

:ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultrosalina::ultroy::ultzss::ultrobin::ultyounglink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddball

Smash Lord
There's too many rule of who I can cut and who I can't and that's before we even get into the arguments about what makes a character an echo or a clone and what doesn't.

So, I'm just going to cut Marth ten different times and call it a day.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
There's too many rule of who I can cut and who I can't and that's before we even get into the arguments about what makes a character an echo or a clone and what doesn't.

So, I'm just going to cut Marth ten different times and call it a day.
The only characters you can't cut are echo fighters, that's only 7 characters. You can cut anyone else. This is because they are not a primary fighter, they are just a copy-paste of another fighter. If we cut all echo fighters in Ultimate, that wouldn't grant resources for a new fighter. They are purely bonus because they are easy to make, they don't "take up a slot." If you really want to cut echo fighters, you would have to cut their main character. Cutting all echos would not grant the devs additional time and resources to make a full-fledged character. Hence, it doesn't make sense to include them. The point of cutting a character is that developers don't have to invest time+resources into those cut characters. They have limited time to make the game, so the cuts are out of necessity...they don't have the time to make them all. Echo fighters are NOT included, they are only a bonus. "Clone" is an unofficial term that is outdated and dubious. You can call anyone you want a clone, but Nintendo defines anyone that's not an echo as a full-fledged character. Clones don't exist, basically.

An echo is clearly defined by Nintendo on the main smashbros.com website:
:ultdarksamus: Dark Samus
:ultdaisy: Daisy
:ultlucina:Lucina
:ultchrom:Chrom
:ultdarkpit:Dark Pit
:ultrichter:Richter
:ultken:Ken

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
lets see the first to go would be the fake winner of the ballot

2: snake
3: mewtwo
4: dr mario
5: roy
6: falco
7: incineroar
8: corrin
9: robin
10: simon

id also get rid of the koopalings and a few echoes

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I already answered the similar thread with explanations for my picks here: https://smashboards.com/threads/if-...timate-who-would-they-be.457724/post-22340504

This time I also removed Piranha Plant (although I'm kind of regretting picking that over Lucario now). I removed Young Link to replace with Masked Link. I removed Ganondorf to replace with a decloned Ganondorf. I removed Mii Fighters to replace with custom characters using any other characters' moves or custom moves.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Cloud. Easily needs to go.
Chrom. He was lucky to be in at all. Your time is over.
Corrin. Lucina perfectly covers the role of this character.
Ryu. Iconic, yeah. But, go back to your own fighting game.
Ken. Only purpose was to rep the concept of echoes, which becomes completely old news by the next game.
Pokémon Trainer. Mistake addition and terrible gimmick.
Pichu. While I don't mind Pichu in, he's still a repeat of Pikachu.
Dark Samus. Honestly, the character has potential to be unique. Dark Samus as an echo is insulting to the character.
Simon. I have nothing against the character. I just want less third party representation.
Bayonetta. If can't be properly balanced, get the ** out.

Will edit my post eventually since I'm just now realizing echoes don't count.

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
:ultgreninja:Flavor of the month Pokemon
:ultincineroar:Flavor of the month Pokemon
:ultcorrin:Flavor of the month FE character
:ultchrom:Flavor of the month FE character and Marth based
:ultlucina:Flavor of the month FE character and Marth clone
:ultroy:Flavor of the month FE character and Marth based
:ultdoc:Switch out for Paper Mario because that would leave to a lot of interesting moveset potential
:ultpichu:Just no.
:ultyounglink:3 Links is too many when they are all based on the same moveset. Would be okay with Young Link staying if he got to use his masks.
:ultbayonetta:Biggest lie Sakurai ever told us.

Edit: As for my non-echo list

:ultgreninja:
:ultincineroar:
:ultyounglink:
:ultroy:/:ultchrom:
:ultbayonetta:
:ultpiranha:Seems like a 1 time only gag
:ultwiifittrainer:Idk, just seems like an easy drop without making too many people angry.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
:ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultlucas::ultwolf::ultsnake:
Because second chances don't exist.
:ultjigglypuff::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultroy::ultvillager::ultcloud::ultpiranha: Umm RNJESUS TAKE THE WHEEL!:ultfalco::ultzss:

Top Bottom