• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For a future Smash title would you rather keep the engine/art style similar to 4/Ultimate or receive a new art style/engine?

Current engine with all current characters or new engine with some cuts?

• New art style & engine for the next Smash

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Current art style & engine for the next Smash

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

toonito

Smash Ace
Basically for Smash 6 would you want all 66 characters guaranteed in the vein of Wii U/Ultimate or a brand new art style/engine where some characters may be cut?
Would you mind if the next Smash being similar to 4 & Ultimate if it meant your favorite character was to return?

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
While I love the idea of Smash Ultimate bringing all the characters back, for Smash 6 I would take a smaller roster in exchange for a new concept and more diverse playstyles. I would like to see an art style that mixes Ultimate and the darker tones of Brawl. To me, Ultimate looks crisper and cleaner (probably due to console graphic capacities improving over the years) but Brawl had a dark edginess suitable for fighting games. As far as the engine and mechanics, I'm not sure. It seems like Ultimate is aiming at ease for less skilled players while having a technical capacity acceptable for more skilled players. I think that's ideal. They seem to have updated the technical aspects of the game quite a bit, but I haven't played it at all yet, so I can't say if I'd want even more edits for 6.
As far as characters, I'd be willing to sacrifice ones I like to get more diversity. For instance, I think characters like Dr. Mario, Daisy, Young Link, Toon Link, Lucina, Roy, Dark Pit, Pichu, and Wolf (and maybe even Falco and Lucas) can be cut. While they have (or will have) traits to differentiate them from their similar counterparts, they are just too similar. I'd rather see more underrated Nintendo IPs and third party reps with completely unique movesets. Along the same lines, I think automatic veterans (i.e. Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, etc.) could be given substantial updates to make them also somewhat new while still being familiar.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ultimate improved on Sm4sh's ****ty comet trails with the cloud trails, but trails should be removed altogether, along with any other pointless distractions like that. Otherwise, the art style is fine.

Make the game as competitive and fast as Melee.

Cut the chaff characters as well as characters who don't fit the light-hearted tone of Smash.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Ultimate improved on Sm4sh's ****ty comet trails with the cloud trails, but trails should be removed altogether, along with any other pointless distractions like that. Otherwise, the art style is fine.

Make the game as competitive and fast as Melee.

Cut the chaff characters as well as characters who don't fit the light-hearted tone of Smash.
Light hearted tone. Please fill out your dream roster and tell me of this light hearted competitive game

Better not see ganondorf

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd like something new please. Preferably a game that feels good on top of it too.

And for some characters that are only in due to Sakurai's last minute decisions to be cut if it means we get more newcomers.

Also, give Ike sword beams jesus, christ, it's been 10 years.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Honestly, I prefer as little changes as possible. I really don't care for the vast majority of new content aside from characters and stages, so if Smash 6 was just Smash Ultimate Deluxe, I'd be very content.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As much as I'd love to see them adopt a new cel-shaded style, New art style/engine = roster cuts. So I'll keep the old one.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Honestly, I prefer as little changes as possible. I really don't care for the vast majority of new content aside from characters and stages, so if Smash 6 was just Smash Ultimate Deluxe, I'd be very content.
p much this. I much prefer just getting all the characters and stages back - If I wanted to play a platform fighter as competitive as Melee (or something else), I'd just go to Slap City, Rivals of Aether, or a new game in the platform fighting genre.

Top Bottom