• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool combo

Stratto

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing this combo, looking for ways to improve it and I'm wondering if anyone has other ideas on how to perform/extend/improve the lloid footstool combo

Here's a video of me performing it (apologies for bad quality, not my best attempt either)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rr2RUvWuY (only the first 10 seconds)
it goes: lloid, then immediately after the explosion, footstool then fast fall and nair fast fall. Follow their di and jab lock with down smash. that's what I've got so far.

I've also noticed if you stall the footstool after the lloid explosion, depending on percentage the opponent will be launched diagonally upwards, which can lead to a footstool in the air and a higher drop. I have not experimented with this yet.

AusGremlinBoy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AussieGremlinBoy
3DS FC
1934-1768-8886
You can roll out of this, as the nair comes out way too late to work. I am also 99% sure you can DI this and villager can't do anything.

Stratto

Smash Rookie
You can roll out of this, as the nair comes out way too late to work. I am also 99% sure you can DI this and villager can't do anything.
Are you saying I did it wrong or is there simply no way for this to work? I'd like to try out other options before giving up on this. I know the nair can be faster and it can also be done immediately after the footstool, although that doesn't lock I think.

trevskeet

Smash Cadet
NNID
trevskeet
I'd try to find other footstool combos that don't initiate from an unmanned lloid launch, most opponents will block or counter it.

MagnumMuskox

Smash Cadet
The wood chip is your best friend. Perhaps Lloid, footstool, throw the wood chip down, fast fall Nair to catch your chip and lock opponent? Never tried it before.

MagnumMuskox

Smash Cadet
Could you z-drop the woodchip like the Kamemushi metal blade combo?
Only in the air. So you want to footstool, z-drop, footstool, fast fall nair (or fast fall F-tilt). If you managed to damage them with a light-knockback move while their body was bouncing on the ground, they will be locked.

Stratto

Smash Rookie
Only in the air. So you want to footstool, z-drop, footstool, fast fall nair (or fast fall F-tilt). If you managed to damage them with a light-knockback move while their body was bouncing on the ground, they will be locked.
does woodchip launch them upwards? is there a way to practice this combo consistently without having to wait for the woodchip to spawn? maybe the fairy bottle in training?

MagnumMuskox

Smash Cadet
does woodchip launch them upwards? is there a way to practice this combo consistently without having to wait for the woodchip to spawn? maybe the fairy bottle in training?
That's an excellent question. I really don't know the answer. I've tried using banana peels, but they don't work the same because they'll make your opponent slip. I usually get two woodchips between each attempt (store one in the pocket). It's a hassle, but I've been getting better at using the watering can and the axe because of it.

I'd like to try out the fairy bottle, but it does about 3 times the damage, so it's not very accurate. Maybe it's a good idea to use it though, just until you get the feel for it.

Stratto

Smash Rookie
I tried short hopping over the opponent and z drop>footstool with the woodchip. Works just as well if you finish off with a bowling ball. Ive tried footstooling and then z dropping but I keep messing it up. I must practice this more, and woodchip training is a pain in the ass since it disappears as soon as it touches the ground.
Im also working on using the lloyd rocket footstool to extend the woodchip z drop combo. All of these might be very situational, but if we can optimize them they can be as deadly as the megaman combos.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Cancel the footstool jump with another Lloid, then drop down with the nair to jab lock.
I do it in Doubles all the time right out of a Lloid ride, since players are less likely to see it coming with more players around.
So it's Lloid ride impact > footstool > lloid jump cancel > drop nair > axe or usmash (fsmash is too slow)

Last edited:

Stratto

Smash Rookie
Cancel the footstool jump with another Lloid, then drop down with the nair to jab lock.
I do it in Doubles all the time right out of a Lloid ride, since players are less likely to see it coming with more players around.
So it's Lloid ride impact > footstool > lloid jump cancel > drop nair > axe or usmash (fsmash is too slow)
I will try this. does nair jablock? that's the thing I have most difficulty with

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i seem to have found another footstool combo.
its a ridden lloid to footstool to which you can do multiple things afterwards.
and ive been experimenting with it a little.
since ridden lloid is super situational, i can only see it being usefull perhaps in teams or if you get a really good read.

heres what i have recorded so far:
i am working on other mixups and combos.

i think the general idea of a ridden lloid to footstool could be part of an infinite in teams where your teammate could grab, you ride lloid into the grabbed opponent, footstool, your teammate jab locks regrabs and start the process all over again.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's admirable that footstool combos are being labbed, but unfortunately since woodchip doesn't lock, our only option are aerials, and even then they can escape from footstools before we reach them again.

Things to keep in mind
Lloid after footstool stops momentum, but still has a lot of lag so they can escape.
Dsmash can be mashed out of very quickly, and if you lock someone with the first hit they get up while you're still doing your 2nd shovel swing

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
That's why I tend to do a reverse d smash to hit them with the second hit.

Stratto

Smash Rookie
In the spirit of keeping footstool labbing alive, here's is a compilation of some interesting tech from twitter:

oh, and ff nair stop locking at 30%, so it's wise to keep that in mind

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It's admirable that footstool combos are being labbed, but unfortunately since woodchip doesn't lock, our only option are aerials, and even then they can escape from footstools before we reach them again.

Things to keep in mind
Lloid after footstool stops momentum, but still has a lot of lag so they can escape.
Dsmash can be mashed out of very quickly, and if you lock someone with the first hit they get up while you're still doing your 2nd shovel swing
Ranai uses multiple reverse D-Smash and Jab-locks.

:4villager::4villager:THANK YOU BASED RANAI:4villager::4villager:

Stratto

Smash Rookie
are "reverse down smashes" done with perfect pivots, or is there a difference?

Also, I don't know how true this is, but if you do footstool - drop nair after lloyd hits and the opponent is near the ledge, he gets thrown out of the stage, which leaves a perfect opening for a bowling ball. example:

even if I was slow, the same principle should apply. So a lloyd break after footstool should make it easier to perform

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
With the footstool z drop woodchip, its possible to get another foostool off. To which if you get lucky with turnips, you xan continue the lock.

But this isnt the point of my post, i have a few more ridden lloid footstool combos.

These first two i think are improbable due to the tree taking so long to set up, but it is flashy.

Although, i guess a partially watered tree is more probable than the single chop tree method.

And this last one is probably the most probable, perhaps getting a really god neutral ledge get up read, and lucking out on triple turnips.

Top Bottom