• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Food for thought.

Trypt

Smash Cadet
Hey. I know a lot of people are upset with the way a portion of the FGC treats/has treated Melee (not a real fighting game, etc.), and I just wanted to bring up that that's the same way some Melee players treat brawl players.

If we ever want to be successful with other communities, we need to fix our own.

#OneUnit

:phone:

Dr. Ed

Smash Rookie
I think in general melee players are just salty about Nintendo's "design choices" in brawl and when we complain about brawl as a game those who play it feel personally attacked.

#imascrub

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
well we ARE one smash community, but its just fact that a wide majority of melee players really dislike brawl because of several design choices, namely the choice to SPECIFICALLY remove many competitive aspects and the transformation into a party game.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
The problem Trypt adressess cannot be justified by the idea that Brawl has flaws in its design. It is the way the community reacts to these flaws and their implications for the game that creates the dichotomy.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Honestly there are a lot who play both(I don't, but that besides the point). It's also kind of a reminder that we are one of the largest fighting game communities who doesn't have the developers love behind. Nintendo made it very clear what it thought about competitive smash and tried very hard to put it down is Brawl. It's obviously a fun enough game that it has a substantial following, but it's and old wound that has yet to heal. Hopefully the team that is taking the reins for smash 4 will have a much different attitude.

Another reason for some of the more acidic comments stems from the nagging doubt that brawl players are only playing it because it's the newest game. It's very childish, but it also hit's very close to home to a lot of the smash community. We didn't donate almost 100k to get into EVO because we want the pot. We didn't donate for the prestige. We donated because whether it's brawl, melee or 64, this game is very special to us and we want more people to come play it with us. Either way it seems to have gotten better , to the point where melee players have been praising some of the recent high level sets in brawl. Time heals all wounds I suppose.

Riio

Smash Cadet
Honestly there are a lot who play both(I don't, but that besides the point). It's also kind of a reminder that we are one of the largest fighting game communities who doesn't have the developers love behind. Nintendo made it very clear what it thought about competitive smash and tried very hard to put it down is Brawl. It's obviously a fun enough game that it has a substantial following, but it's and old wound that has yet to heal. Hopefully the team that is taking the reins for smash 4 will have a much different attitude.

Another reason for some of the more acidic comments stems from the nagging doubt that brawl players are only playing it because it's the newest game. It's very childish, but it also hit's very close to home to a lot of the smash community. We didn't donate almost 100k to get into EVO because we want the pot. We didn't donate for the prestige. We donated because whether it's brawl, melee or 64, this game is very special to us and we want more people to come play it with us. Either way it seems to have gotten better , to the point where melee players have been praising some of the recent high level sets in brawl. Time heals all wounds I suppose.
where's that +1 button

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I'm not even mad about Brawl. I wasn't there when it came out, and even now that it's out, the Melee community is going as strong as ever.

I feel like Brawl hate simply trickled to our base culture as Melee players. It's one of the sure-fire ways to connect with other Melee players and lots of Melee players (myself included) have time spitting on Brawl's design in our group Melee sessions. It's great that it gets Melee players to bond together, but it sucks when we offend Brawl players and create a rift between people that really shouldn't exist in the first place lol

Even if I make fun of the game brutally among Melee friends, I admit there are still great elements that make the game competitive and interesting at higher level play and I have no actual beef with the Brawl community (who in all honesty should be praised for making a game with which I see nothing positive about and turning it into something good LOL).

In all seriousness, mad props to the Brawl players who went above the divide and donated to bring SMASH to EVO. You guys definitely don't deserve the hate some ****tards decide to give you for playing a different game.

Bing

Smash Master
To be honest I think the majority of the hate between the two games, comes from ignorant people who haven't actually played the games themselves. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I personally enter tournaments for both Melee and Brawl, and I do enjoy Melee more, however I can respect brawl for what it is. The majority of the people I've spoken to that are truly against brawl have rarely played the game and never really given it a chance. It is frustrating because their ignorance does put a black mark on the Smash Community but unfortunately its like that in every community, some group is always going to have an issue with another, whether its legitimate or not.

how2smashbrothers

Smash Apprentice
This is all afterschool special cuddly and all but I know if the donation drive was between SG and Brawl, some melee players would have donated to SG.

And I would have totally agreed.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
To be honest I think the majority of the hate between the two games, comes from ignorant people who haven't actually played the games themselves. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I personally enter tournaments for both Melee and Brawl, and I do enjoy Melee more, however I can respect brawl for what it is. The majority of the people I've spoken to that are truly against brawl have rarely played the game and never really given it a chance. It is frustrating because their ignorance does put a black mark on the Smash Community but unfortunately its like that in every community, some group is always going to have an issue with another, whether its legitimate or not.
I completely approve of this message.

Let alone, I don't even know why the conflict between Melee and Brawl is still going on. While I personally enjoy Brawl more, I respect and adore Melee for what it is. That being said, I just want to know, really, why people of other fighting game fanbases (Street Fighter, Tekken, Marvel, etc.) disrespect Smash Bros. as a knock-off of a fighting game. >.>

That being said, I just want to know, really, why people of other fighting game fanbases (Street Fighter, Tekken, Marvel, etc.) disrespect Smash Bros. as a knock-off of a fighting game. >.>
It's so cool to hate Smash

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
the majority of brawl players i've played in melee have good spacing and a much more solid grasp of the basics than some melee players would give them credit for.

i'm okay @ brawl, it's a lot more enjoyable to me in FFAs tho.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You know what? Ill be that guy. A lot of the hate that gets tossed at melee comes from people not knowing the difference between ssbb and ssbm. The hate that some melee players have isn't the same as the FGC's. The FGC are borderline illerate when comes to what makes a smash game good. Melee players that do hate brawl have at least a small amount of knowledge on it. Still the hate needs to stop. After the help we got I'm pretty much done brawl bashing and would like the community to come back together.

Revven

FrankerZ
The community shouldnt have really split in the first place.
The split probably occurred partially (and I really mean partially, this isn't the main reason) because a lot of the new players Brawl brought in were... well, younger than the community that had been brought up from Melee. Soooo... that's quite an impact, because all those new players probably never experienced competitive Melee at the time so when they see Melee players like... 3-4 months later saying Brawl is ****, younger players could... get more easily sensitive to it and thus, not want to be in the same venue as Melee players.

Not trying to point fingers, but yeah... age was probably somewhat of a factor. And I'm also not saying Melee players at the time weren't at fault either.

Doesn't matter who was right/wrong, it's all in the past anyway.

In any case, there's still a lot of work to do. I still think there's a ton of Brawl guys who, no matter what, will hate people who play Melee even if you try to speak about unity. There's no convincing stubborn people or people who hold grudges. If they didn't take part in the drive, it's likely they don't want to see a future where we're all in the same venue playing every Smash game there is in multiple tournaments or almost every tournament.

Doser

Smash Ace
I would be shocked if many of the melee players would have donated if it was brawl. I'd rather see basically any fighting game over Brawl at EVO; it bores me tears when it's on stream.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Brawl is not fun to watch unless you can follow the decisions. The depth isn't obvious. Sending it to evo would just solidify the notions the FGC has about smash being shallow. We wouldnt have gained anything.

And it's not like every brawl player helped. But I do agree that there are more people hating on brawl then people hating on melee.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm not even mad about Brawl. I wasn't there when it came out, and even now that it's out, the Melee community is going as strong as ever.

I feel like Brawl hate simply trickled to our base culture as Melee players. It's one of the sure-fire ways to connect with other Melee players and lots of Melee players (myself included) have time spitting on Brawl's design in our group Melee sessions. It's great that it gets Melee players to bond together, but it sucks when we offend Brawl players and create a rift between people that really shouldn't exist in the first place lol

Even if I make fun of the game brutally among Melee friends, I admit there are still great elements that make the game competitive and interesting at higher level play and I have no actual beef with the Brawl community (who in all honesty should be praised for making a game with which I see nothing positive about and turning it into something good LOL).

In all seriousness, mad props to the Brawl players who went above the divide and donated to bring SMASH to EVO. You guys definitely don't deserve the hate some ****tards decide to give you for playing a different game.
You know I've heard this before and I don't get it. How can a community consciously bond over hatred or belittling other communities? Even when I visit sites like SRK, it doesn't seem like anyone is bonding over putting people down (even though its something they do often enough).

You know what? Ill be that guy. A lot of the hate that gets tossed at melee comes from people not knowing the difference between ssbb and ssbm. The hate that some melee players have isn't the same as the FGC's. The FGC are borderline illerate when comes to what makes a smash game good. Melee players that do hate brawl have at least a small amount of knowledge on it. Still the hate needs to stop. After the help we got I'm pretty much done brawl bashing and would like the community to come back together.

Nah, there are plenty of people in the FGC who know as much about Melee as Melee players know about Brawl. I think its pretty ignorant to think people can only dislike you guys because they don't understand you. Melee community (and smash in general), needs to accept that maybe people understand you and still look down on you and don't want you around.

Surely we can all relate this to our every day lives. There are people you know all about and for those reasons you don't like them or want to deal with them.

Brawl sucks though. Along with most of the players.
Oh snap, looks how mad you made me on your first day. You really know how to upset a sensitive Brawl player. Ouch, give us a break.
The split probably occurred partially (and I really mean partially, this isn't the main reason) because a lot of the new players Brawl brought in were... well, younger than the community that had been brought up from Melee. Soooo... that's quite an impact, because all those new players probably never experienced competitive Melee at the time so when they see Melee players like... 3-4 months later saying Brawl is ****, younger players could... get more easily sensitive to it and thus, not want to be in the same venue as Melee players.

Not trying to point fingers, but yeah... age was probably somewhat of a factor. And I'm also not saying Melee players at the time weren't at fault either.

Doesn't matter who was right/wrong, it's all in the past anyway.

In any case, there's still a lot of work to do. I still think there's a ton of Brawl guys who, no matter what, will hate people who play Melee even if you try to speak about unity. There's no convincing stubborn people or people who hold grudges. If they didn't take part in the drive, it's likely they don't want to see a future where we're all in the same venue playing every Smash game there is in multiple tournaments or almost every tournament.
People are pretty set in their beliefs. I said it before the massive donations hit for Melee and I'll still say it now. Being at EVO will not make them like you. Brawl doesn't need the love of the Melee community and Melee doesn't need the love of the FGC (tho Melee could apparently see some measurable benefit from acceptance).

I already see people on SRK defending Melee by bashing Brawl, almost as if this is some kind of gang initiation where you have to prove you can be as big a bully as anyone else.

Personally I like Melee a hell of a lot more than any traditional fighter (they genuinely bore me to death). If I cared about EVO at all, I'd definitely only have eyes for Melee and maybe PSAS. I think the vid posted earlier just sums up what everyone needs to learn more about. If you don't like something, thats perfectly okay. No one should be trying to force you like or try something. This isn't Green Egg and Ham. Just don't be a **** about it (in all honesty though, Sam I Am was being a total **** in that book).

I honestly think it might just be from insecurity in the Melee community after a decade of people looking down their noses and this "party fighter". Maybe they just need to remind themselves (and anyone who will listen) that there is something worse than Party Fight 2001 (which is apparently Party Fight 2008).

Whatever the cause is, you are in the spotlight now, so don't make yourselves look like a bunch of hypocrites. Don't get baited by trolls and try to keep this next era as classy as any professional sport would.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
People that hate on Brawl and Melee are pathetic. They need to just shut the front door and go play the games that they do like, not make fun of someone for liking Brawl/Melee.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
When brawl came out I went straight to it and the first brawl tourney was melee/brawl. Melee players at that point had played brawl a tonne with japanese versions and switched back so the split tourney was just to welcome brawl. Tourney had a limit due to fire codes and barely any brawl players were signing up, then the TO found out about a mass influx of casuals not on smash boards who were coming and dropping brawl to not lose the venue. Brawl players had a tourney down the street but everyone was so pissed and melee players were so apologetic and helpful to me personally while brawl players were mad because they took off work and saved the date. I mean they had a right to be mad but... I said **** it and played melee. So much fun that day. (Then I quit for 4 years :( )

Point of the story is, a split needed to happen, brawl had so many new players that probably wouldn't stay long and melee had hardened veterans who didn't want to switch. It was up to the brawl community to choose it's game cause mixing wasn't going to happen.The split didn't need to be a fissure with a loss of respect for both sides. The games are quite differentand melee is really the first successful fighting game to survive a sequel. Brawl did okay for itself anyways. Still though, oneunit yo. Needs to happen.

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
The thing I worry about in this is that if you look at SRK and various FGC media it seems like the FGC has largely been convinced that Melee is the better game. And I honestly don't see how they can have come to this conclusion independently - as has been said, the majority of the FGC doesn't know much about Smash.

I think the Melee community's love of its game, while extremely admirable, has somewhat led to Brawl being kept at a distance from the FGC even as Melee is brought in. Even if Melee has an incredible tournament and gains a lot of respect and repeats at EVO in the next few years, I don't see it benefitting Brawl, but possibly serving to split the Smash community even deeper as Melee assimilates into the FGC and Brawl doesn't.

This could easily lead to resentment from the Brawl community.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
FGC is itself split. Some wonder why melee is around when brawl is obviously the newer, better game. Others say melee is better because of technical mechanics. They don't know much on the matter...most lump smash with smash anyways. A lot of them played casually and liked brawl better, others dabbled competitively and didn't like brawl. Again, most just lump smash with smash though.

I mean go listen to them, they thought brawl gfs were as hype as melee gfs. They all have Salem hype. This is why OneUnit is important, they're watching us now so let's..not be ****s?

Tesh

Smash Hero
I thought Brawl GF were more hype than Melee GF (2 years in a row despite last year being worse for both games). I felt pretty let down that M2K made it over such a tremendous hurdle and didn't make top 2. Even though we got to see him make it happen in Brawl.

Honestly I think Brawl was more hype because I'm part of the community and that was some serious **** that one had ever seen or expected. Melee was cool too but Armada has been stomping all of you for ages so it wasn't as "magical" even from my perspective.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I thought Brawl GF were more hype than Melee GF (2 years in a row despite last year being worse for both games). I felt pretty let down that M2K made it over such a tremendous hurdle and didn't make top 2. Even though we got to see him make it happen in Brawl.

Honestly I think Brawl was more hype because I'm part of the community and that was some serious **** that one had ever seen or expected. Melee was cool too but Armada has been stomping all of you for ages so it wasn't as "magical" even from my perspective.
winning Genesis II and Apex 2012 = stomping everyone for ages

Tesh

Smash Hero
Hasn't he won every tournament he has attended since early 2011 where he got 2nd at Pound V?

In any case, bottom line is that he is VERY successful and always the favorite to win. Compare that to a newer player like Salem, using a character no one thought was viable and Apex being the first tournament he has even come CLOSE to winning. Not even talking about the gameplay of each game here, its just more exciting than "who will take 2nd this time?" .

Doser

Smash Ace
Grand finals isn't the whole tournament. Not to mention, I thought the Brawl GF was boring as hell and the crowd shouting seemed really forced.

Keep crying.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
M2K and Ally weren't roflstomping the lot of you for 2-3 years? I seem to recall that the result of every (big) Brawl tourney for a time ended up with M2K or Ally being at the top. No surprise there either, right? Or are we going to play that old, tired "the game was young, nobody knew what they were doing" card, and that it was a fluke of the undeveloped meta that those players were dominant? Hell, majority of the time, you could've changed the question to who was taking third that tournament.

Great players come; great players go. Some are more enduring and stronger than others, but it's ultimately transitory. I don't know what kind of point you were trying to establish with this little jab, but whatever.

C'mon, bro. I can get behind the Melee community being insecure about itself, but there's a certain degree of objectivity here. I think that both communities have a sort of inferiority complex, and you guys [no, make that "we"] are all guilty. And no, there are no victims on either side, and no party is blameless. It's everybody's fault for perpetuating this crappy schism, to the point where there are different camps in the community.

Smooth Criminal

Tesh

Smash Hero
Grand finals isn't the whole tournament. Not to mention, I thought the Brawl GF was boring as hell and the crowd shouting seemed really forced.

Keep crying.
I don't think you used "keep crying" properly. I'm almost disappointed that you wanted to "go there" but didn't even set it up....
M2K and Ally weren't roflstomping the lot of you for 2-3 years? I seem to recall that the result of every (big) Brawl tourney for a time ended up with M2K or Ally being at the top. No surprise there either, right? Or are we going to play that old, tired "the game was young, nobody knew what they were doing" card, and that it was a fluke that those players were dominant? Hell, majority of the time, you could've boiled it down to who was taking third.

C'mon, bro. I can get behind the Melee community being insecure about itself, but there's a certain degree of objectivity here. I think that both communities have a sort of inferiority complex, and you guys are just as guilty. And no, there are no victims on either side, and no party is blameless. It's everybody's fault for perpetuating this crap schism.

Smooth Criminal
Yea, thats the exact point. Back then it was "who fights M2K" . The M2K era went even beyond when he first lost to Ally. He set the bar for "is this viable" every time he dropped a set really. The fact that he took every tournament back then was less hype than it could have been if he had competition. The game was young and it gave people hope about it (so many "MK counters" were rising and falling), but I never said that was more hype than tournaments where 2 dozen people had a logical chance at winning.

Of course it still comes back to "the game is young". When a game has been out for 12 years, it does give time for gaps to widen alot more. I'm not trying to pull that card.

I'm just saying on that weekend, you can't really fault someone for being more hyped about Brawl than Melee. Especially an unbiased party that doesn't know the intricacies of each game. Its not absurd that someone would find Brawl more hype than Melee at Apex, even if you personally feel Melee at its best is better than Brawl at its best.

Do you understand my point now?

Gea

Smash Master
That's definitely true. I'm sure there are people who found MK9's finals more exciting than KoF's at last EVO, but you have to admit certain styles of gameplay are more cohesive with generating positive spectator reactions. The largest portion for many people enjoying Apex GF for both games was the underdog aspect (PP's Marth, and a ZSS???) which cranked up the volume past 10.

Probably the biggest issue though is understandably the inability for players to not feel slighted when their game gets insulted. Let's be honest, Brawl has some issues that even if you love the game you should admit are objective flaws towards competitive success, like tripping, the random input delay issues, and even stuff like the current ruleset making for long matches that is just logistically irksome and can be draining on players. It's easier for Melee players who were waiting for the next big thing and were disappointed with Brawl to vocalize their feelings in a succinct manner (Brawl sucks) rather than a more PC way (I prefer Melee and I respect Brawl players but Brawl sucks because...).

Overall though individuals interact on this website very frequently between this so called Split. The community is blurred and there are no clear lines for many players spots in either camp, just that they maybe are "mostly a Melee player" or maybe "used to play Melee, but they play Brawl now." Friction occurs really when comparing the games and people who are ignorant of either game make a sweeping generalization. All things considered these are minor issues that are not indicative of a serious split between playerbases even if a majority do not enter events for both games. I am just as respected posting my opinions about Brawl in the Brawl forums and entering Brawl events as long as they are relevant as I am here in the Melee forums. Most of the people calling foul play either victimize themselves or put themselves into positions where their feelings are put on the line.

When is the last time you honestly saw anyone that actually attend events say anything derogatory about the "other side" that was met with communal agreement? Usually they are either told to knock it off or ignored.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hasn't he won every tournament he has attended since early 2011 where he got 2nd at Pound V?

In any case, bottom line is that he is VERY successful and always the favorite to win. Compare that to a newer player like Salem, using a character no one thought was viable and Apex being the first tournament he has even come CLOSE to winning. Not even talking about the gameplay of each game here, its just more exciting than "who will take 2nd this time?" .
Mango won every Cali tournament, and they have way more good players than Europe, so him winning a bunch of tournaments that are equivalent to US regionals is hardly relevant. Point is, Armada was the favorite to win Apex, but the rest of the top 4 all had a decent shot at taking him out, and PP took him to a second GF set so idk how much closer you want it to be.

Tesh

Smash Hero
That's definitely true. I'm sure there are people who found MK9's finals more exciting than KoF's at last EVO, but you have to admit certain styles of gameplay are more cohesive with generating positive spectator reactions. The largest portion for many people enjoying Apex GF for both games was the underdog aspect (PP's Marth, and a ZSS???) which cranked up the volume past 10.

Probably the biggest issue though is understandably the inability for players to not feel slighted when their game gets insulted. Let's be honest, Brawl has some issues that even if you love the game you should admit are objective flaws towards competitive success, like tripping, the random input delay issues, and even stuff like the current ruleset making for long matches that is just logistically irksome and can be draining on players. It's easier for Melee players who were waiting for the next big thing and were disappointed with Brawl to vocalize their feelings in a succinct manner (Brawl sucks) rather than a more PC way (I prefer Melee and I respect Brawl players but Brawl sucks because...).

Overall though individuals interact on this website very frequently between this so called Split. The community is blurred and there are no clear lines for many players spots in either camp, just that they maybe are "mostly a Melee player" or maybe "used to play Melee, but they play Brawl now." Friction occurs really when comparing the games and people who are ignorant of either game make a sweeping generalization. All things considered these are minor issues that are not indicative of a serious split between playerbases even if a majority do not enter events for both games. I am just as respected posting my opinions about Brawl in the Brawl forums and entering Brawl events as long as they are relevant as I am here in the Melee forums. Most of the people calling foul play either victimize themselves or put themselves into positions where their feelings are put on the line.

When is the last time you honestly saw anyone that actually attend events say anything derogatory about the "other side" that was met with communal agreement? Usually they are either told to knock it off or ignored.
I completely understand why alot of people don't like Brawl and alot of people do. My point (and I assumed the point of the OP), was just that maybe the Melee community doesn't understand why or how its possible for the FGC to dislike them for any reason other than ignorance. There seems to be this false hope spread around that things like Apex or EVO will make the FGC finally understand (and thus love) Smash as much as we do. The poster that sent us in this direction seemed to think it was absurd that people could understand both games and enjoy Brawl more. I just see this too much and I think its part of the problem.

Maybe they don't want to admit it, but its possible to give Melee a chance and not hold it on a pedestal as your favorite thing on the planet.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Most of the FGC trolls in question don't even know basics about Melee (super basic stuff like what DI is or the different tech options). A good chunk of them just flat out confuse Melee for barlw completely. Go check SRK's homepage. One dude was complaining about a game with tripping being in Evo, and a lot of people associate all of the Evo '08 BS with the Melee community even though Melee went great at Evo '07.

Top Bottom