• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Food Fight!: A Food/Drink Mascot Platform Fighter (Discontinued: please see the reboot thread)

Should There Be An Arcade Mode?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Lately smashboards has been doing some... weird creation threads and so I think it would be fun to do another one. For this one, I'd like to make a platform fighter for food and drink mascots of all kinds. Fast food, snack foods, cereal, drinks (except probably no alcohol), it's all here! I think it would be fun to make a platform fighter to represent the history of food/drink mascots and even some from various cultures. These are characters who were... literally just made to sell food but that doesn't mean this game has to as well. I think there’s lots of room to work with to make fun and varied movesets for each character and to give them some personality for this game. We will decide the characters, stages, and more for this potential game.

Here is the content we have so far. Ronald McDonald and Burger King will be added by default.
1. Ronald McDonald
2. Burger King
3. Chester the Cheetah
4. Red & Yellow
5. Kool-Aid Man
6. Colonel Sanders
7. Tony the Tiger
8. Toucan Sam
Ronald McDonald
See the source image

Franchise: McDonalds (Fast Food)
Debut: 1963
Assist Items: Big Mac, Happy Meal
The Burger King
See the source image

Franchise: Burger King (Fast Food)
Debut: 1955
Assist Items: Whopper, Rodeo King
Chester the Cheetah
See the source image

Franchise: Cheetos (Snack Food)
Debut: 1985
Assist Items: Mac and Cheetos, Flamin' Hot Crunchy Cheetos
Red & Yellow
See the source image

Franchise: M&M's (Candy)
Debut: 1954
Assist Items: M&M's Ice Cream Treats, Mega M&M's
Kool-Aid Man
See the source image

Franchise: Kool-Aid Man (Drink)
Debut: 1974
Assist Items: Kool-Aid Fun Fizz, Kool-Aid Jammers
Colonel Sanders
See the source image

Franchise: KFC (Fast Food)
Debut: 1890
Assist Items: KFC Sauce, Gravy
Tony the Tiger
See the source image

Franchise: Frosted Flakes (Cereal)
Debut: 1952
Moveset Not Complete
Toucan Sam
See the source image

Franchise: Froot Loops (Cereal)
Debut: 1963
Moveset Not Complete
1. McDonaldland
2. Flame Grill
3. Cheetos Train
4. M&M's Factory
5. Kool-Aid Singles Island
6. Kentucky Chicken Coop
McDonaldland (McDonalds)
McDonaldland.jpg

For those who do not know, McDonaldland is a media franchise based off of the McDonald's characters. This land consists of many locations including a forest, Grimace Island, a Western land, etc. The stage will be a traveling stage similar to Garreg Mach Monastery in SSBU where you can explore the multiple locations. The various McDonald's characters like the Hamburger, Grimace, etc. make background appearances and will sometimes throw food items to support the fighters
Flame Grill (Burger King)

When the fight begins, there are 4 patties on the grill, each is a small platform that slowly gets more and more hot - standing on hot patties doesn't hurt you, but the metal gril acts like static Brinstar fire. There can be up to 8 patties at a time, with the blast zone extending and retracting as more are added and removed. Once a patty is good enough to eat, it is taken upwards - KOing anyone still standing on it - and a very small, finished burger is placed on the flame grill, which you have to risk getting burned to eat. If you eat it you'll be immune to flames for a few seconds and get healed. If you're KO'd by the patty being put into the burger, you won't respawn until the patty is eaten or despawns, KO patties despawn quicker but heal more and allow more flame immunity time - whether that's apetising or gross will largely depend on what fighter you're up against.
Cheetos Train (Cheetos)
Cheetos Train.png

(Sorry it looks, frankly bad, but the train didn't have a proper zoom out so I stitched it together in Paint)

The Cheetos train is an ad seen in "Cheetos Train Chase," an ad where Chester waits for the train and then chases it and falls off a bridge and falls on the back train part thing. I'm starting to think I'm bad at introductions-

The Cheetos Train should be considered, because it represents two ideas I think Chester holds dear: "Dangerously Cheesy," and what's more Dangerous and Cheesy than fighting on a Cheese Train.

For the stage you would fight on 5 Train Sections (a front, a back, and three middle parts. All are function platforms with only differences being slight layout changes seen in the picture). the train moves fast and is a moving stage, and the ground the train is on is solid ground. The stages has 3 random events.

Bridge:
The Train will start traveling on a bridge instead of the ground, during this there isn't solid ground (aside from the train) so if players fall off the train during this they can fall off the stage into the bottom blastzone.

Tunnel:
The Train goes under a tunnel that was connected to the tracks. There is a 5 second warning before this happens. The train goes under the tunnel for 3 seconds, if a player is crouching through it they survive, if a player is in the air they get swept by the mountain and are left behind losing a stock.

Mean Eugene:

1648162664618.png

Mean Eugene (Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool) makes a surprise appearance to ruin the day. As a random event he will drive in front of the train having his animal throw rocks at the train. The rocks bounce along the train so people fighting on the back aren't safe. The way to dodge is jumping or shielding, and Mean Eugene only stays for about 15 seconds.
M&M's Factory
-16011576a0c84ed0.JPG

I was going to submit M&M World for this but I think the actual factory would make for a more unique stage. The factory is located in New Jersey (my home state) and basically the characters will fight on the conveyor belts with the M&M box packaging as platforms. Stepping on the conveyor belt will move them. There are ledges and this stage is not a walkoff stage. This is more like PokeFloats.
Kool-Aid Singles Island
I was going to go for the Jammers Factory due to the limited locations there are for the Kool-Aid lore but we already have a factory stage so this is what I'll now with from one commercial in the mid-2000s. Basically, the stage is tropical-island themed and the layout is based on the end of the commercial. There are two platforms and sometimes the rescue helicopter flies by as a stage hazard. And yes…SOS is spelled SUS in the commercial (and it’s not an Amogus reference).
Kentucky Chicken Coop (KFC)

A humble farm in the real world Kentucky, where chickens roam, raring and excited for their meaty fate. You fight inside the chicken coop, you can see a farm house; Colonel Sanders statue and KFC in the background

The red platforms are soft, the black platforms are hard. There are no hazards but the flying soft platform can move up and down and the soft stairs will sometimes fall down and rise again later.
F9DEA858-5151-4B37-966D-740FB1311E1F.jpeg
Kellogg's Sports Arena (Frosted Flakes)
hqdefault.jpg

A location based off of the Frosted Flakes commercials (both animated and live-action), this is the perfect home for Tony. This stage has the same layout as Pokémon Stadium from Melee. There are two different transformations with minimal differences. There's the basketball court with two platforms represented by hoops and the ice hockey arena with the two platforms by the goals. Also, in the background, the crowd will usually sing/chant "We Are Tigers!" like in some of the Frosted Flakes ads. A fun Easter egg that will be incorporated is if that if you play as Tony on the stage, the whole song will be sung and some of the voices you hear in the background are from the various "We Are Tigers!" commercials such as the one with that high school basketball team and what not. And, when Tony gets a KO, he will chant "We Are Tigers!" and the crowd sings that back.
Black Beak's Hideaway (Froot Loops)
hqdefault.jpg

Based off of the Black Beak saga commercials from the mid-2000s, this stage takes place in Black Bean's Hideaway where his treasure is hiding. There are hazards such as the guardians of the treasures as well as cave rocks falling. Also, this stage is another walkout stage (not as big as The Great Cave Offensive) but still a pretty decently sized layout.
movesets essentially follow a similar model as NASB with light and medium normals and up, neutral and side specials and no final smash.

There is also another mechanic as well and that is tag team similar to the tag team mechanic from Marvel Vs. Capcom but with a little bit of differences. You pick two characters and can switch between them with a trigger button. Your teammate is in the background at all times and will jump in front if you call them and you’ll jump in the back if you do so. (So you need to be on solid ground to switch characters.) If a character is down, every two seconds they will heal 1% damage and can heal up to 30% damage. You can force someone to change characters by pressing the trigger button while grabbing them.

There’s also another added element and that is the assists. If you press the other trigger button, your teammate will toss on the ground an item that can either be thrown as a projectile do deal damage or eaten. The based on the food their company makes. You can pick between multiple assists for some characters and each assist has different properties. If this submission gets in we can have jobs to decide each characters assist items.

There is also of course still the option to play without this assist system.

Gameplay Mode: Full Menu Mode
The assists cooldown is considerably shorter allowing players to go full ham with their power ups. This in turn will let people pull off some dangerously cheesy victories.
Big Mac (Ronald McDonald)

Ronald gains the weight of a super-heavyweight, causing him to lose jump height and speed in exchange for a good power boost. They do call it a Big Mac for a reason.
Happy Meal (Ronald McDonald)
D40E8776-CB0E-4577-B808-8BA54DA2BEF3.jpeg

This will give the ally a bit of a stats buff from Ronald’s delivery of a Happy Meal to the ally.
Whopper (The Burger King)
Whopper.png

The signature Burger of Burger King. The King will lob one of these bad boys to his ally, which when consumed will act like a Mega Mushroom, making them grow huge in size.

Rodeo King (The Burger King)
Rodeo-King.png

Whether it's the traditional beef, or the tendercrisp chicken, consuming this texan themed item will transform the consumer into a rootin', tootin' cowboy.
This gains them both a dapper cowboy hat aesthetic temporarily, but also the ability to grab an opponent from a distance using a lasso made of the King's delicious flame grilled onion rings.
A successful grab will allow the consumer to hog-tie up their opponent, rendering them momentarily helpless and allowing for the consumer to dish out a supersized combo of pain on the target. This ability is activated by pressing grab and forward, but can whip opponents out of the air if timed right.
An additional benefit is whilst this is active, players have access to a tether grab allowing for recoveries back onto the platform. Just make sure you recover before your meal goes down and you're left stranded without your Burger King's Burger Rings.
Mac and Cheetos (Chester)

Makes a trail of Mac and Cheese appear at your feet, which will slow down foes and speed you up when you stand on it, a killer combination with Flamin' Hot mode.
Flamin' Hot Crunchy Cheetos (Chester)
2013E8F1-0F1C-47D6-8702-7F01592EE2BF.jpeg

When thrown to an ally, an ally gets flame breath and able to breathe fire at their opponents.
M&M's Ice Cream Treats (Red & Yellow)

When thrown to an ally, these frozen chocolate pops give them an icy shell (not unlike those of the M&Ms themselves), increasing their attack resistance and making them a bit heavier. However, they suffer from worse traction in this state as well, so be careful!
Mega M&M's (Red & Yellow)

Once given to an ally they grow 50% Larger
Kool-Aid Fun Fizz (Kool-Aid Man)
127A8281-B20B-4CFE-A603-8CBD927B87E6.jpeg

Basically, when received from the ally, the fighter gets the ability to spray the drink at the opponent allowing them to have “laughing gas” (their controls will be reversed). The Fun Fizz line is discontinued if I recall correct.
KFC Sauce (Colonel Sanders)
Kool-Aid Jammers (Kool-Aid Man)
Kool Aid Jammer Tropical Punch 177ml | Americano Goodies

Kool Aid Jammers
Acting as a Fludd of sorts, this item can be charged up and used to produce a potent pushing blast
C7C68A9A-B238-4D2D-9D53-C33C71027DB5.jpeg

When the fighter receives this item, the fighter gets a finger lickin’ stat boost for offense for some saucy combos. How saucy! Who doesn’t love sauce with their fried chicken?
Gravy (Colonel Sanders)
KFC fans feel 'physically sick' after finding out what goes into £1.29 gravy

Gravey from KFC
KFC Gravey gets spilled onto the floor causing a slippery surface to be created
I will start Job #1 in a few minutes.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job #1: Submit A Snack Food Character
As you can see, Ronald McDonald and Burger King were both added by default so let’s add a character from a snack food shall we? I’d like you to submit a mascot from a snack food product so anything considered fast food would not be allowed. Please submit the character, explain who they are, how they could hypothetically fight, and why they should be in this game. Cereal mascots aren’t eligible for this particular job.

Job #2: Submit A Roster Number
Submit the number of characters you think we should have, simple as that. I’m thinking this would be a more simple game so the roster would likely be a bit smaller than other creation thread rosters. As such, the limit for the roster will be 35 so please submit something under that.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Does this have to be just food & drink? Because I can think of some non-F&D corporate mascots I'd love to add down the line (Bibendum and Luxo Jr. specifically)

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
35 will be my roster size. That’s about right, I think.

“Snacks” very much makes me think either chips, nuts, or candy.
1647386671338.png

I can think of a few, but Mr. Peanut is a big classic one that some may not submit. I think with his cane, he has a very obvious fighting style. Marth sort of fencing thing, but more aristocratic. And a peanut. The horrid Baby will not be involved with his moveset.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Chester Cheetah
1647386041752.png

Chester is the food mascot of the Cheetos series (1948-), after his inclusion in the commercials in 1985 he was a fan favorite and quickly became the protagonist of the franchise.

Chester is known for his cool attitude, wearing Sunglasses (cool), being the mascot of the best Cheese Based Snacks (cool), the signature phrase "Dangerously Cheesy," he was seen Skateboarding in a KFC commercial, and being the star of 2 video games.

Job #2: 3, so we can get this thread over with already 20

I chose 20. I don't really have a reason, I just decided 20 was a neat number.

EDIT: So I accidentally put 1984 as Cheetos release date, accidentally swapped the 4 and 8 around creating the year "1984" and only now did I notice, so that's why I edited this okay bye bye.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #1: Quicky (Nesquik)
2B423C68-E904-479B-9FD9-A26A25570ADC.jpg

First introduced in 1973, Quicky became the face of Nestlé's chocolate milkshake powder brand, Nesquik.

Quicky much later became a cereal mascot in 1999 but as it wasn't his origin I'm hoping he doesn't count as one.

Skills include the ability to fly with his ears, super speed and using technology.

Job #2: 38
Because it sounds like "thirsty" and "ate"

Edit: oh, under 35? 28 it is.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Oooooh this sounds fun.

Job 1:

Finn (Goldfish)

FullSizeRender.jpg

One of the most popular snacks out there owned by Pepperidge Farm. There aren't many fish fighters in platform fighters. So, why not add Finn? He's been the mascot for Goldfish since the 1960s. Goldfish was one of my favorite snacks growing up anyway.

Job 2

35 sounds good if we want room for DLC ideas as well for sure.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That's right, Mr. Owl is here to tell us exactly how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop!

Reasons why he should be included are as follows:

A one... Due to his popularity and cutesy appearance, Mr. Owl could act as our "Kirby" for this game, a character made for beginners that beginners will gravtiate towards.

And a two... You don't really see characters with high intellect in fighting games that aren't some kind of mad scientist, so Mr. Owl could be great to fill that niche. He would act as a calm mentor rather than an eccentric inventor.

And a three... Tootsie Roll Industries has a long line of colorful candy varieties, which could make for a really fun costumes round!

Chomp.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #1: Can we consider corn a snack?

Character Name: Jolly Green Giant
Character Brand: Green Giant
Character Origin: 1928

1647416542069.png

Your traditional giant character, slow but heavy-hitting. I'd also imagine he could use a giant cob of corn for some more long-reaching attacks, acting as a disjointed hitbox similar to Ganondorf's sword. The only problem here is that I think all of his alts would be mandated by the company to be some shade of green.

Job #2: 27 characters. It lets us go for the real nice 7x3 roster layout.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
JOB 1: Vlasic the Stork
Vlasic_logo.png

Pickles are snacks, right? Probably an interesting choice, but I feel he's a pretty underated mascot, plus he was in the cinematic classic, Foodfight, so he's no stranger to food mascot crossovers

JOB 2: As for roster size, I'd say 25. It's a bit on the more realistic side for a game like this.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Great submissions so far, everyone! I’ll finish submissions for Job #1 soon here, but I’ll finish Job #2. Here is the poll for the roster number so vote in it please:

Also Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku sorry but mascots from drinks won’t be eligible for this job since it’s only snack foods. I guess technically you can eat kool aid powder as a snack but it won’t be eligible for this particular job. I absolutely love the submission though and I definitely want him to eventually get in.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Great submissions so far, everyone! I’ll finish submissions for Job #1 soon here, but I’ll finish Job #2. Here is the poll for the roster number so vote in it please:

Also Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku sorry but mascots from drinks won’t be eligible for this job since it’s only snack foods. I guess technically you can eat kool aid powder as a snack but it won’t be eligible for this particular job. I absolutely love the submission though and I definitely want him to eventually get in.
Oh, apologies, I assumed with the nesquikrabbit being there, I assumed Kool-aid man would've been fine too

Anywho, here's my new submission:
JOB 1: Vlasic the Stork
Vlasic_logo.png
Pickles are snacks, right? Probably an interesting choice, but I feel he's a pretty underated mascot, plus he was in the cinematic classic, Foodfight, so he's no stranger to food mascot crossovers

JOB 2: As for roster size, I'd say 25. It's a bit on the more realistic side for a game like this.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Oh, apologies, I assumed with the nesquikrabbit being there, I assumed Kool-aid man would've been fine too
That's a fair point actually.

In the interest of fairness Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule please discount my submission.

Whilst Nesquik have snacks such as this:
Nesquik snacks.jpg

I can't in good faith say I was thinking of these chocolate wafer slices rather than the milkshakes.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Alright, here are the character options for Job #1. Please vote for your top four most wanted out of these options. Normally if we get enough submissions, voting will be your top three most wanted but for this one it's the four most wanted.
AlRex AlRex Mr. Peanut - Planters
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Chester the Cheetah - Cheetos
@Darkonedagger Red & Yellow - M&M's
FazDude FazDude Sour Patch Kid - Sour Patch Kids
Yiptap Yiptap Pringles Man - Pringles
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast Finn - Goldfish
Janx_uwu Janx_uwu Mr. Owl - Tootsie Pops
Baysha Baysha Yoghurt Boy - Skittles
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Jolly Green Giant - Green Giant Beans
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku Vlasic the Stork - Vlasic Pickles

These are my votes:
1. Green Giant
2. Mr. Owl
3. Sour Patch Kids
4. Goldfish

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Red and Yellow (Comedy icons, they are definitely one of the food mascots to ever exist)
2. Mr. Owl (🍭:108:)
3. Chester the Cheetah (Strong bias, Crunchy Cheetos in one of my favorite unhealthy bagged food items of all time)
4. Finn (🧀 + 🐟 + 😃 = Mid tier snack, but I like the Mascot enough so I think here's a good spot)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Chester: Originally considered him myself, but was beaten to the punch. Good pick.
2. Red & Yellow: Incredibly well known brand mascots the world over.
3. Pringles man: Unsure if he has a body, but this is my favourite snack on the list.
4. Green Giant: I'm unsure if I count corn as a snack but the guy is jolly enough to get my last vote.

Many of these brands are American-centric. The above are the only ones I think I've ever had as a 'cor blimey brit, innit'.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
1. Red and Yellow (M&Ms)
2. Chester the Cheetah (Cheetos)
3. Mr. Owl (Tootstie Pops)
4. Finn (Goldfish)

All excellent picks honestly.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
1. Red and Yellow. This feels like a completely obvious pick in a good way. Seeing the pair represented - as well as the other M&Ms in the form of alts, perhaps - seems like a brilliant choice for what is, in essence, an obvious pick. Not only this, but they do have a lot of international appeal - something that a lot of picks have the capacity to struggle with.
2. Chester the Cheetah. I think Chester would be a fun pick to see here. Cheetos are popular worldwide (similar to M&Ms) and as such, Chester is well known the world over too. Not only this, he's objectively cool, and dangerously cheesy. Where can you go wrong?
3. Yoghurt Boy. This... is such a bizarre character, but it so perfectly represents the very concept of Skittles's advertising - that is, being off-the-wall. I think his slightly terrifying nature would be a very fun change of pace, but also his playstyle - being a literal liquid, he'd be able to do a lot of incredibly fun animations.
4. Pringles Man. I have no idea how this would work, but his drastically oversimplified look should be an alternate appearance. That is all.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Okay, so here are the results of the Job #1 voting:
Mr. Peanut 13
Chester the Cheetah 41
Red & Yellow 39
Sour Patch Kids 4
Pringles Man 14
Finn 3
Mr. Owl 11
Yoghurt Boy 2
Jolly Green Giant 8
Vlasic the Stork 0

Meaning we’re gonna add Chester the Cheetah as the next character. So, since this was a pretty big job which had a lot of submissions I think I’m gonna add our second place winner, Red & Yellow as well since they both got a lot of votes. So, Chester the Cheetah and Red & Yellow will be added as well.

Meanwhile, we got a tie for our roster number so here is the poll to break the tie:

I’ll start the next job as well:
Job #3: Submit A Moveset Template
Submit the template for each moveset and how they work. Please note that the movesets would likely be pretty simple compared to other platform fighters. New gameplay mechanics are allowed. If you wanna write a bit justifying why you think it would be the best choice for the moveset that would be fine.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
For my moveset template, I’m thinking we have something akin to SSBU’s moveset design but there’s a special gimmick in the game called combo attacks (as a reference to fast food items). Basically there’s different levels and there’s a little UI meter that gets charged during the battle that allows you to perform a Super aka combo. There’s 3 different ones a character can perform.

I try to make every fanmade platform fighter on the creation threads as distinct as possible.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
SSF1's control scheme.
Reasoning: I am one of those prophetic men who would like to watch the world burn.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I think movesets should essentially follow the same model as NASB with light and medium normals and up, neutral and side specials and no final smash.

I wanna introduce another mechanic as well and that is tag team similar to the tag team mechanic from Marvel Vs. Capcom but with a little bit of differences. You pick two characters and can switch between them with a trigger button. Your teammate is in the background at all times and will jump in front if you call them and you’ll jump in the back if you do so. (So you need to be on solid ground to switch characters.) If a character is down, every two seconds they will heal 1% damage and can heal up to 30% damage. You can force someone to change characters by pressing the trigger button while grabbing them.

There’s also another added element and that is the assists. If you press the other trigger button, your teammate will toss on the ground an item that can either be thrown as a projectile do deal damage or eaten. The based on the food their company makes. You can pick between multiple assists for some characters and each assist has different properties. If this submission gets in we can have jobs to decide each characters assist items.

There would also of course still be the option to play without this assist system.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
So… after the results it looks like we’ve gonna have 35 characters! I’ll leave open moveset template submissions for a little longer but I will start job #4 as well now, which will be a little bit more of a discussion job

Job #4: Should Restaurant Locations Be Stages?
Like I said before, this will be more of a discussion job to determine how we’re gonna do stages. I want you to share your thoughts on if real locations should be allowed as stages or if you want to keep it to just advertisements locations. By real life locations I mean like a generic mcdonalds or burger king restaurant as a stage. You can share your thoughts on how you want stages to be done in general as well.

Top Bottom