• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Follow-Ups from D-throw

HaxMiner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5300-9452-8037
Hello everyone! Just joined Smashboards, and of course am a Game and Watch main. I've been doing a lot of testing lately with D-throw combos, and I've found some high damage combos.

Depending on the character weight, percent ranges, and other stipulations, you are able to string anywhere from 1-3 U-tilts, a N-air, and if with reading DI and the opponent is heavy enough or doesn't air dodge in time, they will eat a Judge as well.

I don't currently have any footage to show of this, but I do have some replays saved on my 3DS that I will be able to add onto this thread. I will be adding in a list into this thread with the percents that this will work from and with what characters. Thanks, and any comments, suggestions, and your individual research is appreciated :]

Combo: Down Throw --> Up Tilt --> Neutral Air --> Judge Hammer

(Just a side note, the timings on these follow-ups are EXTREMELY strict, I recommend getting these down first with CPU's, then a real human player)
List of Percent Ranges and Characters

Mario: 0 - 13% Best Range: 7-9%
Luigi: 0 -4% (Cannot hit Judge at 0) Best Range: 1-4%
Peach: 0-2% (:L)
Bowser: 6 - 8% can use 2 U-Tilts and still land Judge,9 - 21% works with one U-Tilt. Easier to land Judge if only one U-Tilt is used at 6-8%
Yoshi: 0- 7% Best Range:Entire
Rosalina: 0 - 2%
Bowser Jr.: 0 - 1% Can Land 2 U-Tilts 2 - 18% Best Range: 5 - 9%
Wario: 0 - 14% Best Range: 7 - 9%
Mr. GnW: 0 - 2%
Donkey Kong: 0 -4% 2 U-Tilts Goes til 27% Best Range: >10%
Diddy Kong: Immune, unless Opponent DI's incorrectly out of throw.
Link: 0 - 4% 2 U-Tilts, 5% cannot connect with Judge, 6 - 21% One U-Tilt
Zelda: 0 - 4/5%
Sheik: 16 - 19%
Ganondorf: 0 - 3% 2 U-Tilts, 7 - 21%
Toon Link: 0 - 3%
Samus: 0 - 6/7%
Zero Suit Samus: Can only Land U-Tilt --> N-Air unless bad DI is given off the N-Air, but 10 - 25% is when you can land U-Tilt --> N-Air
Pit: 0 - 8%
Palutena: 1 - 8%
Marth: 0 - 11%

Last edited:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Hello everyone! Just joined Smashboards, and of course am a Game and Watch main. I've been doing a lot of testing lately with D-throw combos, and I've found some high damage combos that from what I've seen with testing on For Glory and in Training mode are true combos.

Depending on the character weight, percent ranges, and other stipulations, you are able to string anywhere from 1-3 U-tilts, a N-air, and if with reading DI and the opponent is heavy enough or doesn't air dodge in time, they will eat a Judge as well.

I don't currently have any footage to show of this, but I do have some replays saved on my 3DS that I will be able to add onto this thread. I will be adding in a list into this thread with the percents that this will work from and with what characters. Thanks, and any comments, suggestions, and your individual research is appreciated :]
There's actually already a video up on Youtube for Game and Watch's DThrow combos, in case you haven't noticed. Also a note on fastfallers(:4fox: :4falco: :4sheik:): You can basically use neutral A against them after DThrow, since UTilt will whiff. Some heavy characters like :4bowser: apply to this too.

HaxMiner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5300-9452-8037
There's actually already a video up on Youtube for Game and Watch's DThrow combos, in case you haven't noticed. Also a note on fastfallers(:4fox: :4falco: :4sheik:): You can basically use neutral A against them after DThrow, since UTilt will whiff. Some heavy characters like :4bowser: apply to this too.
I know about Smash Corner's video, those are just basic follow ups though. This is a combo that is guaranteed 40% + when landing all hits. I know that U-tilt will whiff on Fast Fallers, and I'm compiling a list on the percent ranges this works for.

Neb

Smash Lord
I encourage you to continue on with this study. Down the road, G&W mains will need an in-depth understanding of dthrow follow-ups, beyond nair (etc). This is useful.

Neb

Smash Lord
@ HaxMiner HaxMiner , some suggestions...

We should realise that for this to be effective as it can be, the information must be displayed in a way that is simple for player's to retain. It might be helpful to find the similarities between character's (ie. weight, size, fastfall speed), and then group them in this way. So instead of having fifty odd combo windows? You would lump them all into several categories.

ie. "Such and such works on most heavies between A%-B%"

Secondly, we absolutely HAVE to research kill percentages for dthrow > uair... particularly on platforms.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
@ HaxMiner HaxMiner , some suggestions...

We should realise that for this to be effective as it can be, the information must be displayed in a way that is simple for player's to retain. It might be helpful to find the similarities between character's (ie. weight, size, fastfall speed), and then group them in this way. So instead of having fifty odd combo windows? You would lump them all into several categories.

ie. "Such and such works on most heavies between A%-B%"

Secondly, we absolutely HAVE to research kill percentages for dthrow > uair... particularly on platforms.
For the most part, I find that D-Throw -> U-Air rarely kills at guaranteed percents unless:
1. The opponent has bad DI
2. It's at the top platform of a stage
3. It's on Halberd

Neb

Smash Lord
Aside from platforms, there are certain low clearance stages we should also investigate. It's better to know when we can expect a KO than to guess at random percentages, where a more suitable option might've been chosen.

Furthermore... I'm confident a dthrow follow-up exist that would reposition the opponent on a platform above you, allowing for a regrab into uair. Something with a footstool, as that seems to work until decent percentages. G&W on a platform/tech chase situation is hell for the opponent considering his usmash i-frames, quick grab, disjoints and sharking options, judgement, etc. Technically, a regrab would not even be necessary... just getting that extra height from the platform would improve many of his kill options.

Make sense?

Last edited:

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
I did some research with custom moves and dthrow followups with game and watch against overused characters I'll start with diddy
All of these were tested against players and level 9 bots most of these work 95% of the time, but some of them can be affected by DI so they aren't true combos.

Dthrow research :4gaw: vs :4diddy:

-0%
dthrow + heavy upb
dthrow + ftilt
dthrow + jab
*dthrow + fast chef (this works in different % but results may very depending on how the projectiles hit the target)
**dthrow + fastchef + utilt + upb/nair can work depending on DI on different % this is affected a lot by rage
***dthrow + chain judge (this might work up to 40%)

-10%
dthrow + ftilt

-15%
dthrow + utilt + heavy upb

-20%
dthrow + utilt + utilt + nair

-25%
dthrow + utilt + heavy upb

-30%
dthrow + utilt + heavy upb + dair
dthrow + utilt + heavy upb + nair
dthrow + utilt + heavy upb + bair
these mix ups depend on the utilt DI
-35%
dthrow + utilt + nair
* from here dthrow+fast chef+utilt/jab becomes a situational string

-41%
dthrow + utilt + heavy upb + nair - true combo guaranteed

-45%
dthrow + utilt

-50%
dthrow + nairs + judge
* from 50% onwards judges become easier to setup after throws

-55%
dthrow + nair + heavy upb

-60%
dthrow + nair + heavy upb + nair

-70%
dthrow + upb

-143%
dthrow + upb stops working here

Dthrow research :4gaw: vs :4sheik:

0%
dthrow+jab
dthrow+dtilt
dthrow+heavy upb
uthrow+upb
16%
dthrow+utilt+heavy upb+uair (44% true combo)
dthrow+utilt+utilt
dthrow+utilt+nair
20%
dthrow+utilt+heavy upb+nair (36% true combo)
dthrow+utilt+heavy upb+dair (39% true combo)
dthrow+utilt+heavy uapb+uair (35% true combo)
25%
dthrow+utilt+heavy uapb+uair
30%
dthrow+nair
dthrow+upb
35%
dthrow+nair
dthrow+upb
from here short hop dthrow+uair starts working as a true combo
40%
dthrow+nair
dthrow+upb
45%
dthrow+nair
dthrow+upb
55%
dthrow+nair does not work anymore
from here you dthrow+uair true combo needs 2 jumps instead of one, stays as a true combo.
81%
dthrow+upb does not work anymore
dthrow+uair still works here
87%-91%
here dthrow+uair is a true combo and kills but its extremely hard to do you have 1 or 2 frames to do it, with rage this might kill earlier.
93%
dthrow+uair stops working

Last edited:

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
d-throw > f-tilt is a true combo against most characters, notably those who are able to escape the u-tilt. Just saying.

d-throw > u-smash beats any early-frame attacks (like most n-airs), due to it's invincibility during startup.

BBC7

Smash Ace
d-throw > u-smash beats any early-frame attacks (like most n-airs), due to it's invincibility during startup.
You can take this a step further and throw up in an Up B, doesn't work for Up B 3 due to lack of rising hitbox. I'm pretty sure Up B 2, despite shortened length, will still connect.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
True combo, Mid%s on most characters, no customs:
Dthrow > nair > Fire
25% damage, pops them to the side for offstage/close to ledge nonsense

The trick is for the opponent to be juuuust to the right of the center of the nair on the last hit, takes some finagling but after practicing in training mode until I got this 100% on :4sheik:I have it down to about an 80% success rate in real matches if I got the opponent's DI right(DI doesn't matter that much anyway once you get the first hit of nair).

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
At low % you can do 39% by using D-throw-> U-tilt -> Up-B(2) -> Dair. Works against most of the cast.

At mid % you can do 19-25 by using D-throw -> Up-B(2) -> Nair/Fair. Works against most of the cast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom