• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flying Flamethrower

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I recently was able to get into PSA and decided to try something out:

As you can see, we have a proof of concept with the help of @Draco_The where Zard can Hover whilst using aerial flamethrower. The wing animation needs work but hey, I tossed it together in 15 minutes just to differentiate it!

As for specifics, as of this moment (7/30/15) the hover will stop all his vertical momentum after 20~ frames of start up and then allow him to hover back and forth for up to 80 frames by holding the B button. You can still angle the fire up and down as you move left/right, but letting go of B causes gravity to kick back in. Once the fire stops, Zard suffers 25~ or so frames of end lag from the last hitbox until IASA, which as you can see caused Zard to plummet helplessly when I let go near the ledge! This can be quite a problem as the Hover and Glide are mutually exclusive: if you hover, you not only can't hover again until you touch ground but also lose the ability to glide until you touch ground, and vice-versa.

As for what it offers, as you can see you can strafe forward, backward, hover in place or go back and forth all while spewing a stream of fire. The Fire can clank and thus beat out weaker projectiles for a risky approach option, or conversely cover your tracks in a backwards retreat. The outer 2/3 of the flames can chip away some % at foes who are out of reach of other followups while those who get closer are subject to punishing flames that deal hitstun and high damage. The Flames can even be a (crappy) form of pressure if you hover and land on someone's shield, tho they can just buffer roll behind you and have approximately 8 minutes of free time to punish you lol. Ledge-hopping the fire is also a decent option I show above, either going right into the grounded fire or strafing, but you need to be careful of being hit past the flames as again, it eats both hover and Glide.

As mentioned, the outer 3/5 of the flames deal no stun and lower % while the closer smaller flames deal higher % and stun, but even at best the Flamethrower is some -16 frames on hit. So despite the crazy damage it can achieve against foes with poor decision making when it comes to SDI, you should never be getting decent damage off of FT without getting hit back. The movement allows this to be safer, yet rather telegraphed as to approach, they will be able to react to the big weak hits first unless its a strange followup where you launch -> FT for just raw % and nothing else.

I personally think it is a unique yet non-overbearing change with plenty of checks and balances. Sure he can get good damage, but it will always be punished if he really roasts somebody. He could go out far with it, but then he risks simply dying due to forfeiting horizontal recovery options (also aerials are better). He can stuff approaches or camping with the flames, but it is also easy to react to for the opponent. How do you all feel about this possibility?

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
cool beans joe.

what situations would this be useful in tho? does this effect his MU spread at all.

JOE!

Smash Hero
cool beans joe.

what situations would this be useful in tho? does this effect his MU spread at all.
From testing live yesterday, this allows Charizard a means of dealing with many projectiles in a stylish manner.

Link tossing Bombs and Arrows your way? Hop > FlameFloat toward him and the fire will stop the bomb, Clank the Arrow and either catch link, deal chip damage, or scare him from the threat of major %.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
This doesn't look that broken to me. Flamethrower is already ridiculously unsafe on hit, so if anything, it would make it more worthwhile to use. It does look cool, though. PMDT, please put this in. :) When I first heard you talk about this, @ JOE! JOE! , I thought there was no way you could manage to pull this off without it looking silly. Glad to see you prove me wrong. ;)

JOE!

Smash Hero
UPDATE:

Hover lasts 60 frames, down from 80
IASA on end of Aerial Flames: 14
IASA on end of Ground Flames: 20

I have this and a few other tweaks I would like to have playtested,anybody want to give a hand?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Been refining the FFT some more, and here are the current stats:

1. Flying Flamethrower:

1. PROGRESS:Granted him the ability to Hover during aerial flamethrower! He can hover for 35 frames after a 16 frame start up, once per airtime. The Hover eats his ability to glide and vice versa.

2. Flamethrower now has an end animation 18 frames long instead of 36

3. Flamethrower now has a start up that is 16 frames long instead of 18

4. Flamethrower’s inner hits deal 1% damage down from 2%, Base KB buffed from 20 -> 25

5. Flamethrower switches to non-hitstun at frame 11 instead of 10

Essentially it is faster overall, but deals much less damage than it does currently in exchange for speed and most importantly mobility. At 35 frames, you can stay in place or go a platform's distance back or forward just about.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Would be fun + functional which are 2 things his current Neutral-B is not at all.
Cool.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Tested this with JOE at Blacklisted today, seemed legit, not overpowering or broken, and can still get around it with proper maneuvering, at least with projectile characters it didn't take away the tools, just made it so you had to actually put effort in to land them. I was really digging it

Zoa

Smash Ace
This is really cool. Seems like a really practical idea given Flamethrower's terrible state.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought but would it be better to allow you to flamethrower in glide rather than giving him a hover?

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
I had a guy show up at a biweekly and try to do this with my setup. He thought it was an actual 3.6 addition. You're messing up the metagame JOE!

Top Bottom