• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Florida Panhandle Brawlfest: Running out of SF References (Tallahassee, FL) (OCT 4th)

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
Come join us for Tallahassee's largest Smash Brothers Tournament, Come prove your skill in the North Florida Section in a Double Elimination Cash Pot tournament. FOr those of you who are interested, here is the location:

Fortress Games and Computing
Address: 1510-1 Capital Circle SE
Tallahassee, Florida, United States

FOR ANY QUESTIONS: PLEASE CALL ME (386)-847-2728 (BEST WAY TO GET TOURNEY INFORMATION)

THERE WILL BE BOTH SINGLES AND DOUBLES TOURNAMENT

IF YOU COULD PLEASE PRE_REGISTER SO I KNOW IF I NEED THE EXTRA SPACE TO RENT OUT!

$10 entry fee for singles
$20 entry fee for each Team
Tournament starts at 2pm (please try ot arrive 15-20 minutes early for signups)
for any questions call (386)-847-2728 Ask for Drew
Warmups will start at 2pm
Doubles for both Melee and Brawl will start first!
It will be possible to run congruently if need be.

Let me know if you wish to come, the rules are as follows:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament Rules

·Players will select one character at the start of the tournament, the player must start each round with this character, however players may change characters after the first match of that round
·Rounds will consist 2/3 matches double elimination bracket
·The final rounds will consist of 3/5 matches
·All playable Characters are legal
·Controllers will be provided, however to use one of the tourney controllers you must provided photo id and leave it at the desk and your id will be returned to you at the end of the tournament
·Entry fees are non refundable
·Gamecube Controllers, Wiimotes and Wiimote + Nunchucks will be available.
·After the 1st match of the round ends,, both players will say a stage that cannot be picked for the remainder for the round to be selected as a counter pick.
·If the loser of the 1st match wins the 2nd match, then the 3rd match will proceed the same way, except for the declaration of the banned stage.
·Items are to be turned off
·Time Limit of 7 minutes will be set
·Once the Stages have been picked, the winner will pick a new character or stick with their current character, the loser will then pick their character
·Dave’s stupid rule: you cannot counterpick a stage you have won on
·Meta Knight’s infinite Cape can be used unless for the purposes of stalling, i.e more than 5 seconds
·Striking- the method used to pick the neutral stage of the first match of the set. The players of the match flip a coin, and one of the players calls it. Should he call it correctly, the loser of the coin toss will strike one of the neutral stages first. When a player strikes a stage, that stage cannot be chosen to play on. After the first strike, the player who won the coin toss will then strike the remaining stages, this will continue back and forth until there is only one neutral stage left, this will be the stage the first match of the set will be done on. The stages banned in this method are legal again when it comes time for players to counterpick and ban stages in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the match
·Sudden Death no longer applies, should a match run out of time, the player with the lowest percent wins the round.

·Legal Neutral stages are as follows and are to be used when striking: Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi’s island (Brawl Version), Smashville, Lylat Cruise

·Legal Counterpick stages are as follows: Castle Seige, Norfair, Battleship Halberd, , Frigate Orpheon, Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium, Great Sea, Luigi’s Mansion, Delfino Plaza, Pictochat, Pokemon Stadium 2

·Banned Stages are as follows: New Pork City, Mario Bros, 75m, Mario Circuit, Port City Aero Dive, Big Blue, Green Hill Zone,, Shadow Moses Island, Pictochat, Flatzone 2, Hannebrow, Mushroomy Kingdom, Warioware, Spear Pillar, Rumble Falls, Onett, Yoshi’s Island (Melee version), Hyrule Temple, The Summit, Bridge of Eldin, Distant Planet, Skyworld, Green Greens, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise

·Custom Controls will be allowed, Provided that you show up early enough to set them up and it comes at a first come, first serve basis

Super Smash Brothers: Melee (singles and doubles)

General Rules
Items are set to off
The stock is set to 4
The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock
All sets are best of 3 matches
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose the stage they last won on
Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
*In the event of time constraints 3 stocks may be used
**120 seconds per stock should be considered high priority
Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise *
Past Stages: Dream Land
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Dream Land: Green Greens *
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle *
Mushroom Kingdom II *
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
*These stages were very close votes and could be on either the Counter or Banned Lists

Banned Stage List
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Additional Rules for Double's Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON
Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

For any more questions please let me know ASAP! PM me and i try to check this forum at least twice a day! A capture card will be available for brawl singles and doubles, if some one would provide on efor melee so i can get footage on youtube that would be awesome. If you can let me know if you're going now that would be awesome. I hope to see alot of people come out!

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
i checked em out, im getting together with the crew on tuesday to make a final decision but im defenitly giving your suggestions thought

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
You know I'm coming. :p

If gmoney has some suggestions, given he's from a more established smash community, I feel it would be worth giving it a superior amount of consideration. It might very well help raise our affinity for Florida's smashers.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
.......I just posted in the wrong thread previous to this lol

LOoking for a teammate O_o Thats good

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
Stage list for Brawl has been updated after crew meeting this evening, changes have been made.

Also because its so late in the game, i was not able to adjust the 5 dollar house fee that will be incured, however, expect the next tournament on the 18th to have an additional 5 dollar house fee, however on the flip side, this means that the pot prize will increase as more money will go towards the pot!

I have taken into consideration alot of the suggestions that were sent to me and thank you for helping support this tournament, i took up some of the suggestions while rejecting others mainly based on what my crew discussed. Still i hope every smasher can have a good time and if you can bring a setup wii and if its convenient, a small CRT Television, it would be greatly appreciated! THis is important especially because we NEED friendly TVs badly, actually, we need TVs badly lol!

Also winners and losers finals will be 3/5 just like the finals matches now.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate this, Drew.

We'll probably be going to all of these tourneys now (if we can), but keep in mind that Oct 18 is Gigs... :(
no problem!

****, unfortunatley there's nothing i can do about that because im on a tourney schedule, since the tournaments are every 2 weeks. the only thing im dissappointed in is i wanted to go to gigs. oh well. you guys should come here anyway :p

Zone

Smash Champion
Me and Tropical Taco are planning on coming

EDIT: I can bring a VCR to record, and I can upload the footage to my Capture Card for melee if you need it.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
Excellent! Im already at the venue waiting for people to show up! so when you get here, ill be here!

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
gg's all! I'll be heading to gigs in two weeks so count me out on the next one, but I'll see you all in a month!

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
sorry me & HolyChef couldn't make it this time. It was the weekend of my girlfriend's birthday so I spent the time with her.

What sort of changes happened here that differed from the previous tourney?

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
I would like to thank all of you who came out to Panhandle Brawlfest yesterday and showing your support for my tournament. We had some really good matches and im surprised that we were able to pull off all four tournaments. Results are being processed by allisbrawl right now, i will post them as soon as they are done and youtube is SLOWLY posting vids of yesterday's brawl singles matches. Congrats to the winners of the tournaments, you put on a great show! I hope to see you all come back to the next one, (which may be delayed because i wanna go to gigs ^_^)

I would also like to apologize for the attitude of the owner, his actions and comments were out of line, and that cause to make a huge scene was very unecessary. My crew and I have decided to start looking for a different venue and speak with the owner about the tournament. But i would like to apologize to everyone who was offended by the actions of the owner, and i would llike to state that Panhandle Brawlfest is in no way assoiciated by the owner or its location, it is simply a temporary location until we can move on to bigger and better things.

All in All i feel it was an excellent turn out, i saw alot of new faces and alot of old faces and i hope i get to see alot more at the next one once i get the date finalized. I hope, issues aside, that everyone was able to have fun for the most part, i know i did.
Also, thanks to everyone who brought a TV or Wii, you helped things run much smoother.

Updates on rules:
Losing striking- it was a dumb idea in the first place
Mains- im going to try to get rid of the forced starting character rule
counter pick list is the same as Gigs
5 dollar house fee to help increase the pots for each tournament.

I understand that things were a bit disorganized, but it was my first time running all four tournies at once, now that i know better, ill get things running perfectly at the next tourney!

and BTW to everyone i faced yesterday in a match: Great Matches, whether it was tourney or friendly, they were amazing matches!

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
great job on incorporating melee. does gigabits have melee tournies? cuz I wanna go. and if you go, can i ride with you?

Zone

Smash Champion
Needz moar Melee,

Brawl was too boring for me. So i'll be there next time if Melee is present.

I wish the Melee finals were recorded.

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
"Updates on rules:
Losing striking- it was a dumb idea in the first place
Mains- im going to try to get rid of the forced starting character rule
counter pick list is the same as Gigs
5 dollar house fee to help increase the pots for each tournament."

YES! Forced starters is like an automatic lose for certain match-ups and extremely annoying. Not much of an issue for a ROB player except for G&W, but I sympathize with those I went against who played Marth or other easy gimps for ROB.

Striking = Smashville unless I play mind games and strike that first.
Yay fixed counterpicks.
Extra yay for the house fee, I want to actually profit from winning. I only got $5 for winning Brawl doubles after expenses and spent it on dinner. The owner nabbing 50% was pure bull**** imo, I wanted to punch him in the head

In fact, the owner of Fortress (gay venue, no offense) was a combined source of lulz and hate from the 3-man Jax crew. While he's AMAZINGLY fun to make fun of (Nutrition Facts/Ping/Josh does his voice perfectly) he's also an immense pain in the *** to deal with.

Crystal- she looks like she's in uber ***** mode all the time but I can't help feeling sorry for her. I'd be unhappy working with that psychotic hick too. I kinda wanted to give her a hug but I was afraid she'd bite my face off.

gg to all, Groceries and Green Mario were a nice challenge in finals.
KBM, I might be a cheerleader but at least I'm not a F@GGOT.

Might come again, but if I don't make some sort of profit from winning next time I'll quit (losing doesn't count, that's my fault)

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
once again i apologize, i can't help but epxress my apologies and sympathy to you all. i hope this doesn't deter anyone from coming next time.

and might i stress that the venue, in no shape represents my crew in anyway, im ashamed to be forced to this venue like this where the players can't come and have a good time.

but Orfn, you have to realize that you only had to deal with him on tourney day, think of what i have to deal with on a daily basis.

Saturday was a disaster in my book, i was completely embarrassed at the lack of respect he showed the players, myself and my crew. However after calling around town today, i have found few options for a better venue, if any at all. Im trying my best on my end, i just ask you to help me grin and bear it for now.

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
once again i apologize, i can't help but epxress my apologies and sympathy to you all. i hope this doesn't deter anyone from coming next time.

and might i stress that the venue, in no shape represents my crew in anyway, im ashamed to be forced to this venue like this where the players can't come and have a good time.

but Orfn, you have to realize that you only had to deal with him on tourney day, think of what i have to deal with on a daily basis.

Saturday was a disaster in my book, i was completely embarrassed at the lack of respect he showed the players, myself and my crew. However after calling around town today, i have found few options for a better venue, if any at all. Im trying my best on my end, i just ask you to help me grin and bear it for now.
don't feel bad, it could be worse. maybe. right now the rewards and downfalls kind of just barely balance.

who's in your crew anyways? and again, it was an alright time but it has some issues that you're already working on

ouch, in that case I'm putting you with Crystal in the "I feel sorry for you" book. some people just astound me

don't take it too hard, I think more people are mad at him than you. just keep following gmoney's advice because he knows the game pretty well and can help improve your tourneys. also, in terms of venues, look into hosting at a church. I know it sounds weird and requires you to organize a lot of equipment, but from what gmoney has said it's great and you can use a portion of the door fee to pay for it.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
don't feel bad, it could be worse. maybe. right now the rewards and downfalls kind of just barely balance.

who's in your crew anyways? and again, it was an alright time but it has some issues that you're already working on

ouch, in that case I'm putting you with Crystal in the "I feel sorry for you" book. some people just astound me

don't take it too hard, I think more people are mad at him than you. just keep following gmoney's advice because he knows the game pretty well and can help improve your tourneys. also, in terms of venues, look into hosting at a church. I know it sounds weird and requires you to organize a lot of equipment, but from what gmoney has said it's great and you can use a portion of the door fee to pay for it.

Thanks, ill look into the church idea, but as far as my crew goes, its

Myself (Esper)
Lizardface (Lizrd
Eight (8)
Psychonaut (he left early, he was the one managing the bracket)
JSSN
AWAL
MrFTW
DBS

Zone

Smash Champion
ZONE GIMPS TOO MUCH!! :(

melee>brawl
Lies! @ gimping too much. maybe...

Truth! @ Melee>Brawl I heard so much laughter from the Melee side. THe brawl side was just a serious bored mood of *click clack clicks* of the controller.

Jx31

Smash Ace
There was a melee tournament here?..............**** IT >.<, please put it in the title next time. Me and my crewmates(around five people, if not more) would've loved to come to this, we are only one hour away.

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman

Truth! @ Melee>Brawl I heard so much laughter from the Melee side. THe brawl side was just a serious bored mood of *click clack clicks* of the controller.
Then you obviously missed Gmoney vs. KBM and the Brawl singles grand finals. Nutrition Facts and I were doing our best to generate some hype but things were sorta dead.

KBM called us cheerleaders, lawl

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, ill look into the church idea, but as far as my crew goes, its

Myself (Esper)
Lizardface (Lizrd
Eight (8)
Psychonaut (he left early, he was the one managing the bracket)
JSSN
AWAL
MrFTW
DBS
Hm, I've gone up against MrFTW, 8, Lizardface, and Psychonaut so far. Psycho wrecked me with G&W, I HATE that match up. 8 did good in doubles, hard to say what a 1v1 would've been like. Lizard and I never had a serious match but I heard he mains Lucas and that's no problem for my ROB. I beat MrFTW in friendlies several times, then started screwing around with Snake for some practice. Close matches.

DBS looks like he has a solid Wario. I've been wanting to go up against you in some friendlies and I don't know JSSN or AWAL, I guess I didn't pay much attention after I got bored. Maybe next time.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I've gone up against MrFTW, 8, Lizardface, and Psychonaut so far. Psycho wrecked me with G&W, I HATE that match up. 8 did good in doubles, hard to say what a 1v1 would've been like. Lizard and I never had a serious match but I heard he mains Lucas and that's no problem for my ROB. I beat MrFTW in friendlies several times, then started screwing around with Snake for some practice. Close matches.

DBS looks like he has a solid Wario. I've been wanting to go up against you in some friendlies and I don't know JSSN or AWAL, I guess I didn't pay much attention after I got bored. Maybe next time.
I want to play you to in some friendlies as well, i've only faced NF at the first tourney you guys attended, his lucas is mad awesome. I need to play more people with my zelda, i keep playing the same people so im not getting any better.

Finals match of Brawl singles was epic!

Gmoney's Falcon punch FTW!

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Then you obviously missed Gmoney vs. KBM and the Brawl singles grand finals. Nutrition Facts and I were doing our best to generate some hype but things were sorta dead.

KBM called us cheerleaders, lawl

Sorry but honestly, t was a long ****ing day. Thank God we are having a venue change soon :-). So thats why I would say that U all MIGHT think that Melee was MORE exciting. But honestly, Brawl was WAY more entertaining seeing that it was BLATANTLY Obvious that no1 could touch Green Mario. (NO OFFENSE TO ANY PLAYERS)

In Brawl, U have a better defense... It's not all about attacking all day long. One good quality is that a novice using only the smash attacks could beat a new player using all the controls. Brawl just has more mind games. In Melee, if you have a combo you know how to do.. U do it and it's game over. Point is, BRAWL IS DIFFERENT THAN MELEE AND IF YOUR NOT THAT GOD AT BRAWL DON'T GO BACK TO MELEE WHINING ABOUT IT.

Now as far as your concerned "Kagesekan", KBM gets influenced by people around him while he plays, JUST LIKE EVERY1 ELSE. Although it's NO excuse for the fact that he called you guys cheerleaders, which was most definitely TRUE, U can't get mad at the guy for feeling like your rubbing salt into a wound. Gmoney probably Destroyed him and with 2 guys on the sidelines cheering for more it's kind of hard to take. So don't go around lashing out at people calling them out on websites that they have no access 2. Only *****ES do that. I highly doubt that your 1 of those. I have no problem with you bro. I didn't mind it when you guys were cheering on Gmoney while he was beating me(The Sonic Player named AWAL), but other people might. I enjoy you guys coming up and enjoy playing against you all alongside the advice you bring. If you got something to say, say it 2 him.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
On a more important note. I've heard that people don't lie the idea that you have to start with a certain main. I love the idea cause it prevents counter picking and boosts confidence in your main character. For example, I beat 3 MK's and a Snake with a SONIC!!! SomaCruz has proof.

BTW Gmoeny, currently looking over video now, I'm coming for you at the next tourney lolz!
(Theres a vid of Gmoney's Wario Whippin my *** to those of you wondering)

Top Bottom