• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floating With Tap Jump?

EpOc-Samydoo

Smash Cadet
NNID
S_landreville
Recently I have become a radom main and with all of this float cancel stuff its so hard to play with tap jump and float near the ground, for the peach mains out there are there any tips I can have?.

kynlem

Smash Cadet
NNID
NaturDonut
The best solution would be to turn tap jump off. If you can't do that, set a button to jump and use that for float only. Just press down and hold jump.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
I have used Tap Jump since Melee and it's a VERY hard habit to break, so despite being a Peach main I still use it.

What I normally do is I've trained myself to use the X/Y buttons and hold down when I'm doing my floats. It doesn't mess up my jumps and I can control my floats and attacks with relative ease. It was easier to learn this way instead of learning not to use tap jump lol.

Oh also, I have my L button set to Jump so I can pull off some quick float-cancelled Nairs here and there, and sometimes that helps me (if you'd like to try just having your entire left side controlling your floats and your right side focusing solely on attacks/shields/grabs. Depends on your control scheme).

Zalezus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zal3zus
Howdy,

This might be super necro(?) but I'd like to give my input on tap jump floating as an old school melee Peach main that just started playing her this year in Wii U.

If you've ever seen Armada play, then you've seen how crispy he gets low float to (frame perfect) Nair and then FF to float cancel (giving him no landing lag upon landing the float aerial.) In melee, it's really good pressure to be able to quickly float at any height and to disengage immediately after activating your aerial all to abuse this cancel. I don't think he claws anymore, and I believe he uses Y.

I used both Y and X to float at any height:

X: I used to use X by default back in the day and claw my index finger vertically across the button in order to have access to the C-stick with the thumb, thus easier Uair and Dair while moving forward or back. NOTE: This is the same effect Brawl and Smash Wii U Peach players want when they assign L or R to jump. I have long pianist fingers, so YMMV.

Y: I used this mainly for any empty jump movement or auto-canceled aerial that could end in a float or instant low float. This is because you can hold down Y with the top of the thumb and "piano key"/roll down to the A button with the bottom half of the thumb to get Nair, Fair, and Bair and it allows you to release Y after pressing A, or keeping Y held down after pressing A to continue the float and drift in or out.

Ironically, each button correlates inversely to the axis direction it's most optimal for (i.e. X button for easier Y-axis attacks, and Y button for X-axis attacks). All of this said, I like tap jump so assigning different buttons and turning it off for me is convoluted when I have all of this (frame perfect) muscle memory tech. But to each their own :) My 0.02

Top Bottom