• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Flex Zone: The Machamp Social!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Toooo......much........damage.......
Grapplers always seem to do better in 3D fighters, likely due to the wider range of movement making zoning harder. Machamp, specifically, is super strong in duel phase since those fights tend to be very close no matter what. Having a wide selection of counterattacks and grabs also makes him difficult to challenge.

Still, I can see Gardevoir being a tough fight for him since she has the firepower in Field Phase necessary to make life there difficult.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
After getting some games in tonight and talking a bit of shop, I gotta say that getting through Field Phase isn't as harrowing as I originally thought. Bulk Up is godlike.

I'll try and spruce up the boards a bit with some other threads in the future, btw.

Smooth Criminal

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
After getting some games in tonight and talking a bit of shop, I gotta say that getting through Field Phase isn't as harrowing as I originally thought. Bulk Up is godlike.

I'll try and spruce up the boards a bit with some other threads in the future, btw.

Smooth Criminal
Yeah, he does have some unexpectedly good things in field like his Rock Throw (back+y) with surprising splash radius and his air heavy's speed in homing, but I still see him struggling greatly here vs. patient players once they know what to look out for.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Something to keep in mind: Bulk Up gives him armor on a lot of moves (I think it also becomes Cross Chop (?), which sends him soaring across the arena floor like a homing projectile. It's also armored). If you play your cards right, you can plow through most efforts at zoning during Field Phase and gain favorable positioning. You could feasibly use the armor on a Bulk Up'd Submission to barrel through, for example, and even if you're not close enough to do anything, you can cancel the move entirely with something else to create mixups/threatening situations.

I agree that there's alot of Field Phase shenanigans that'll get this guy down, but he's far from helpless.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something to keep in mind: Bulk Up gives him armor on a lot of moves (I think it also becomes Cross Chop (?), which sends him soaring across the arena floor like a homing projectile. It's also armored). If you play your cards right, you can plow through most efforts at zoning during Field Phase and gain favorable positioning. You could feasibly use the armor on a Bulk Up'd Submission to barrel through, for example, and even if you're not close enough to do anything, you can cancel the move entirely with something else to create mixups/threatening situations.

I agree that there's alot of Field Phase shenanigans that'll get this guy down, but he's far from helpless.

Smooth Criminal
See, that's the problem. All of his best, phase-shifting moves in field involve charging at his opponent with counters, and most of them can be blocked and punished. Not Submission, but it can be intercepted by an attack for a critical just before it lands. That's what I mean by how he'll struggle vs. patience; not so much getting zoned, since only a handful of Pokemon can really do that, but because most of his moves are very unsafe vs. blocking, and the few safe moves he has are easily dodged.

He just shows all the signs of being "that" character who seems really strong at first, only to fall down once figured out. Still, having impressive frame data for his power and the fact that he'll get his chances in duel phase regardless of how he does in field will keep him up. I guess his Synergy Burst is also fairly underwhelming (though still quite good of course), being mainly a permanent Bulk Up with no improved combos, and his Burst Attack, while being the second strongest in the game, is rather hard to land properly.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Make it a point to yell "Juunen Haiyan Daiyo!" ("Ten years too early!") when you KO someone with Tetsuzanko (duel back+x).

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
Does the stats counts when playing online? Do they use it in tournament? If so, what to you boost?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does the stats counts when playing online? Do they use it in tournament? If so, what to you boost?
Singleplayer, yes. Online, no. You're gonna want to put points in defence, since more often than not you'll be taking a lot of fire as you approach. Then spend points evenly on attack and strategy. Synergy is arguably the least important since it doesn't really help with approaching too much.

Other observations: Wake-up Slap (air+a) is your main followup from launchers, though up+x is stronger if close enough (you can also move a bit forward or backward while performing it). Down+y is good for extending wall splats. And Cross Chop (A after Bulk Up) is a very good surprise attack.

Also, is it possible to grab grounded opponents with Machamp's air grab?

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
What Support sets do you guys use? I personally use Cubone/Diglett and Emolga/Fennekin since they help Machamp deal with zoners and they charge relatively fast.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Bought the game today just to play my favorite Pokemon. And boy does Machamp hits hard !
I still don't understand the game fully well, but I know Machamp will be my main. His playstyle fits me well.

Top Bottom