• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flat Earth Society

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
From Wikipedia
Modern flat Earth hypotheses originated with the English writer Samuel Rowbotham(1816–1884). Based on his conclusions derived from the Bedford Level Experiment, Rowbotham published a 16-page pamphlet, Zetetic Astronomy, which he later expanded into a 430-page book, Earth Not a Globe, in which the Earth is a flat disc centred at the North Pole and bounded along its southern edge by a wall of ice (Antarctica), with the Sun and Moon 3,000 miles (4,800 km) and the "cosmos" 3,100 miles (5,000 km) above Earth. He also published a leaflet entitled "The inconsistency of Modern Astronomy and its Opposition to the Scriptures!!", which argued that the "Bible, alongside our senses, supported the idea that the earth was flat and immovable and this essential truth should not be set aside for a system based solely on human conjecture".

Rowbotham and followers like William Carpenter, who continued the belief, gained attention by successful use of pseudoscience in public debates with leading scientists of the day. One such debate, involving Alfred Russel Wallace, concerned the Bedford Level experiment (and later led to several lawsuits for fraud and libel). Rowbotham created a Zetetic Society in England and New York, shipping over a thousand copies of Zetetic Astronomy.

After Rowbotham's death, Lady Elizabeth Blount, wife of explorer Sir Walter de Sodington Blount, established a Universal Zetetic Society, whose objective was "the propagation of knowledge related to Natural Cosmgony in confirmation of the Holy Scriptures, based on practical scientific investigation". The society published a magazine, The Earth Not a Globe Review, and remained active well into the early 20th century. A flat Earth journal, Earth: a Monthly Magazine of Sense and Science, was published between 1901–1904, edited by Lady Blount.

The International Flat Earth Research Society (IFERS), the first Flat Earth society organization, was founded by Englishman Samuel Shenton in 1956 and was later led by American Charles K. Johnson, who based the organization in his home town of Lancaster, California. The belief lacked representation after Johnson’s death in 2001, until the name was reclaimed in 2004 by Johnson's self-proclaimed successor 'Daniel Shenton' (likely a reference to Samuel Shenton), a man claiming to live in Hong Kong.
This a debate that in these days is quite prominent because of the B.o.B. tweets and stuff. Really, I've heard many crazy beliefs and conspiracy theories but this one is mindblowingly stupid and reading Youtube comment sections (and many other sites) and seeing how many people defend this craziness is ridicolous.

I have a big, BIG passion for astronomy, since I was like 4, I was always affascinated by the mistery of the universe and the fact that many things that seems really tough to understand had a logical and satisfying answer; when there wasn't one, no problem: we had some theory we are working on, will see how it will turn out!
So, reading about people who think that the Sun and the Moon are 2500 miles away, gravity doesn't exist, trying to support their theory with extremely non-sensical and completely made-up calculations, when the logic behind everything we know thanks to thousands of research by great minds is plain and simple, and claim that we are sheeps who trust the government or some strange conspiracy theory makes me loose any kind of faith I could have in umanity.

Now, with this premise it seems kind hard to believe but if there are some flat earthers among the users in this forum or anyone is in touch with one of them I would really to have a real conversation, because the only explanation we "round earthers" (oh god almighty) receive is that we are brainwashed and flat earthers are right because well... we are wrong. I would start with a simple question:

Why would the "government" should make us believe that the Earth is round instead of flat and gravity exist? I mean, what's the purpose?!

And if there are people out there that thinks like me, and I hope many other, I would like to remember that people since the ancient Greek believe that the Earth was round, so what did we do wrong?

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I laugh at the idea of people arguing that the earth is flat over the internet. Mainly because we use satellites that are orbiting around the globe to make the internet a thing. Maybe they should start arguing that the internet doesn't exist next and just say that it is all just an illusion. lol

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Well, now that I visited their Forum I can confirm that about 50% of this people are really crazy. The other 50% are just trolls.

And this gif is the best thing ever:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Very interesting and intelligent video from VSauce.
There are a bunch of Flat-Earthers in the comments, so if you're looking for a laugh/people you can agree with, it's the right place to go.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
There are a bunch of Flat-Earthers in the comments, so if you're looking for a laugh/people you can agree with, it's the right place to go.
That was the video that started my research for more (I love Vsauce) along the A Dose of Buckley video about B.o.B. Very interesting as always :)

Corgi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corgi-of-Time
Eyy we got VSaucers. Michael has sculpted so many of my points of interest that I don't think I'd be the same person without his videos.

My uncle is a flat-earther. A few months back we were watching a lunar eclipse out in the backyard, and he just goes on and on about how the earth being round was a conspiracy, how weather was fabricated by the government to control crop cycles and commutes, and non-verbally confided to me that he is, infact, insane.

It was dark, and I was laughing through clenched-teeth, but I already dislike him so it's just another cherry for the s*** sundae he is. Also he's a Jesus freak, and will compulsively be Christian at me.

I hate these kind of people. Truly. You are not alone, OP. We cringe with you.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Eyy we got VSaucers. Michael has sculpted so many of my points of interest that I don't think I'd be the same person without his videos.

My uncle is a flat-earther. A few months back we were watching a lunar eclipse out in the backyard, and he just goes on and on about how the earth being round was a conspiracy, how weather was fabricated by the government to control crop cycles and commutes, and non-verbally confided to me that he is, infact, insane.

It was dark, and I was laughing through clenched-teeth, but I already dislike him so it's just another cherry for the s*** sundae he is. Also he's a Jesus freak, and will compulsively be Christian at me.

I hate these kind of people. Truly. You are not alone, OP. We cringe with you.
Man, I'm so sorry for your situation. It must really suck. I came from a religious family, so I can relate to some extent.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Not much of an argument here. :laugh:

Well good to know the residence of smashboards don't get as crazy as youtube commenters.

I think people throw a dart on a wall full of random ideas and say "Ok I will forever devote my life to ______."

Cows are our god folks! They allow us to have milk. In reality, we are their pitiful servants and anyone who thinks otherwise must be ridiculed in every youtube comment section!

DraconicPsycho

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DraconicPsycho
I've heard of this, but never really believed people were so...backwards. there is indefinite proof that the earth is a sphere...or oval i guess. are these the same people who believe the illuminati are going to take all of the lower and middle class and stick them in FEMA camps?

Gamerz31w

Smash Cadet
Is it New Era of Mankind.Like in idealogies of Angels,Rasputin and Mars and even novels of Aldous Huxley and George Orwell.Maybe I'm trolling you.It seems I'm not following this theory.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
What?! I didn't realize there were still people that believed that sort of rubbish.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
People can be so easily fooled at times its pathetic and scary at the same time

NobyNobyBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
domocon44
It's absolutely crazy to me that there are people who still believe the earth is flat like even after all the scientific and intelectual breakthroughs that humans have made we still have a decent number of people who just...dont get it. I think that one rapper, B.O.B, making a diss track aimed at Neil deGrasse Tyson and claiming how he knows the earth is flat is absolutely hilarious though so I'm glad that flat earth society exists just because it is so funny to listen to some of these people. Armoured Skeptic also has a hilarious 2 part video series on debunking this one guy's flat earth theories.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've never heard of this "flat earth" thing until rapper B.o.B mentioned about it a while back. I also didn't know it was such a big deal.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I've never heard of this "flat earth" thing until rapper B.o.B mentioned about it a while back. I also didn't know it was such a big deal.
It isn't a big deal. We live in a world of loonies. Thats all.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So basically when B.o.B mentioned his "beliefs" on the matter and dissing those that says otherwise in his songs, he was being delusional?
I don't know who B.o.B is and I've never heard his music so I can't really comment on it. However, if he truly believes the Earth is flat after people have sailed around the world multiple times then yes he is absolutely delusional.

Ethan Chappel

Smash Rookie
NNID
EthanC48
Oh boy, the Flat-Earth theory...something I can never wrap my head around. Amazingly enough, it isn't the craziest theory I've seen about Earth's shape, but it's by far the most popular alternative theory I've seen.

NASA recently released a nice video of the Earth rotating for a whole year. If it were faked, the amount of effort needed to do so would have been extraordinarily high, especially with the clouds since they would have to match up with weather records.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
NASA recently released a nice video of the Earth rotating for a whole year. If it were faked, the amount of effort needed to do so would have been extraordinarily high, especially with the clouds since they would have to match up with weather records.

Can't you see the dedication of these globeheads?! They've quite literally perfectly fabricated the rotation of a fictional version of the flat planet Earth over the course of a year.

In all seriousness, I can't say I've ever encountered a flat-Earth theorist in real life (fortunately). Typically, conspiracy theories seek to challenge ideas taken for granted such as the intent of the government or big businesses. This, though, seems like it's challenging something that isn't just taken for granted-- it's challenging a fact so basic that, at this point in history, it's no longer questioned at all.

Last edited:

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
You can prove that the earth is round by sending up a weather baloon.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I mean, you can notice the curvature of the earth by just looking outside an aeroplane window...

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
How can the the Earth be round when Game & Watch is flat? Answer that round Earthers!

JK, the whole idea is dumb.

Top Bottom