• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flare blitz

!Blue!

Smash Cadet
Hey guys this is my first post here in the charizard community. My name is LoF Blue and ive decided to main charizard along with mewtwo.....surprisingly favoring him over mewtwo as my forerunner. But anyway ive been testing flare blitz in tournament and found some pretty great uses and traps for flare blitz if not already discovered and deemed not optimal my apologies.
But 2 killing ways ive used flare blits was falling with opp. To trap them just before hitting the ground. This usually was safe to do bc if i missed the lag from the air dodge or if for some reason they had a jump id go un punished small risk with a great reward.
The second was id get behind my opp. Of stage saving at least 1 jump and flare blitz the ledge. This provided a tactic that no one wants to challenge so again almost unpunished. The trick was flare blitz ledge hold down so i dont snap ledge i either hit them with the first initial hit or the explosion afterwards which sometimes ive noticed caught the 2 frame allowing for a devastating stage spike.
But yea im gonna be floating in here for some great knowledge you guys have to offer :D

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Flare blitz on a missed tech can work, but depending on their timing (for the getup option) you could end up getting punished really hard.

Hard read on the ledge can work (e.g. you expect a roll so you flare blitz from the ledge into the stage) especially since it's hard to punish and you only give up stage control (and the recoil dmg I guess); just make sure you do it into the stage because otherwise you'll probably die.

Also disclaimer, I'm kind of a noob but these options should be viable I think

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Hey guys this is my first post here in the charizard community. My name is LoF Blue and ive decided to main charizard along with mewtwo.....surprisingly favoring him over mewtwo as my forerunner. But anyway ive been testing flare blitz in tournament and found some pretty great uses and traps for flare blitz if not already discovered and deemed not optimal my apologies.
But 2 killing ways ive used flare blits was falling with opp. To trap them just before hitting the ground. This usually was safe to do bc if i missed the lag from the air dodge or if for some reason they had a jump id go un punished small risk with a great reward.
The second was id get behind my opp. Of stage saving at least 1 jump and flare blitz the ledge. This provided a tactic that no one wants to challenge so again almost unpunished. The trick was flare blitz ledge hold down so i dont snap ledge i either hit them with the first initial hit or the explosion afterwards which sometimes ive noticed caught the 2 frame allowing for a devastating stage spike.
But yea im gonna be floating in here for some great knowledge you guys have to offer :D
Hitting a wall with Flare Blitz guarantees the opponent can spike you. If you don't 2 frame them they would be able to just let go and spike you 100% guaranteed. If you do 2 frame them I *believe* although I am not sure that if they tech it they might be able to get the guaranteed spike.

Still it's a very interesting tactic. I'll try it myself and see how well it works.

I didn't quite get what your first scenario was. Is it just falling next to the opponent and then flare blitzing as you're both reaching the ground? Or is it flare blitzing on reaction to an air dodge?

Edit: 2 framing with Flare Blitz is actually incredibly hard to do. Specially since you need to read your opponent's recovery since Flare Blitz has such a slow start up. I don't think this is a useful tactic as failing the 2 frame = certain death. Is there an easier way to 2 frame with Flare Blitz, maybe something I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I think a VERY interesting and underutilized use of Flare Blitz is shield breaks; after a full Rock Smash on shield, or anything else getting a shield low, sometimes I like to start throwing it out. People's definitive reaction is to shield, and I've gotten numerous shield breaks in tournament sets this way. Once they catch onto or are familiar with this, just even throwing out the move can put a TON of pressure on the opponent when their shield is low.

I really liked the ideas you presented, Blue, especially the falling with the opponent idea; I'll have to mess with that some.

Top Bottom