• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flames of Pherae: The Roy Video Thread

Athena4Lyfe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ATP
Hi guys! Athena here and though I am new to the Smash Community, I’m not new to the game. I do occasionally lurk around and watch tournament play. I thought I’d make myself known by posting some video footage of me fighting, while getting some critique from some of the best players here! My brother (mains Squirtle) plays almost everyone to a pretty decent level, while I main Roy. I apologize in advanced for the noobish play as I try to stay competent in this game while there are so many advanced techniques and skills that I need to learn. Enjoy!

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Hi guys! Athena here and though I am new to the Smash Community, I’m not new to the game. I do occasionally lurk around and watch tournament play. I thought I’d make myself known by posting some video footage of me fighting, while getting some critique from some of the best players here!
Obvious stuff:
l cancels need work. I suggest that in a lot of your friendlies, you actually focus on doing this the most. This helped me a ton. Another way to practice is to fight against a high handicapped cpu with the damage ratio low and practice l canceling when you've hit attacks. this will also prepare you for l canceling shielded aerials.

tech more. if you think you've hit the tech button a little too early, just hold the button down - usually your character will still tech.

towards the end of the match, you were throwing out a lot of f smashes. careful with that. as you saw with the dair at the end there, lots of other ways to kill.

I think you handled the match up fairly well, but I think warioware is actually a good counterpick for Roy - really limits Squirtle's ability to take advantage of his superior movement and therefore it's a lot easier to hit him. for a challenge on your neutral game, try fighting him on a bigger stage like FD, smashville, and pokemon stadium 2.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Question! I saw this video, and I think it's very helpful. Do you have some specific Roy movements that we should practice? Or if you could make a video? :D That would be awesome either way!
Sure, I could put together a vid for Roy specific stuff. I'll try to sit down and do it sometime this week.

D

Deleted member

Oh hey theres a video thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQSPmdYhnQ Skip to 9 minutes in, me vs sethlon roy dittos (Game 4 is trash though LOL)

I'm slightly knowledgeable on Marth/TL/Roy, so I guess I can help answer questions and stuff?

I'm the guy who made the toonlink movement vid, and since people here need movement help or something I made this in a few minutes www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph3aNN8RDnQ This isn't really a tech skill vid, since I keep in all my flubs, but it's basically showing this is how movement practice for roy is for me. (Good people flub tech skill too)

Last edited by a moderator:

vanhuynh16

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQSPmdYhnQ Skip to 9 minutes in, me vs sethlon roy dittos (Game 4 is trash though LOL)

I'm slightly knowledgeable on Marth/TL/Roy, so I guess I can help answer questions and stuff?

I'm the guy who made the toonlink movement vid, and since people here need movement help or something I made this in a few minutes www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph3aNN8RDnQ This isn't really a tech skill vid, since I keep in all my flubs, but it's basically showing this is how movement practice for roy is for me. (Good people flub tech skill too)
Awesome! Very helpful also!

vanhuynh16

Smash Cadet

I wanted to ask how did show play by yourself like in the video? I can't figure it out. Thanks

D

Deleted member

Go to special brawl and set the camera to fixed
set the rules to infinite time and be the only port that has a person. You can press start and go to any stage by yourself now.
(And then I used a capture card to record the gameplay lol)

Spralwers

Smash Ace
You can also do the same thing in regular brawl, except you won't have the camera fixed in that one place.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
If it's acceptable, I have one Roy video to contribute. Keep in mind, a month has passed sine the recording. Doesn't seem like alot of time, but I've improved exponentially since then.

It's not that great, but I managed to pull off a few nice combos here and there.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Someone please make a Sethlon PM Roy combo video to the song "Burn" by Ellie Goulding.

I'm begging you.
And have every clip end right before the finishing blow, then when she gets to "And we're gonna let it BURN, BURN, BURN, BURN," show the finishers on each repetition of burn. you could even have them line up across the screen, freezing on the KO flames shooting off the side of the screen as the next one starts playing.

Just imagine it.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I HAVE BEEN.

That's why I posted here. :(
I meant imagine specifically the format in which they cut the clips before all of the finishing blows, and then you get them all at once, synchronized with Ellie Goulding shouting "BURN"

Orgasmic.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I meant imagine specifically the format in which they cut the clips before all of the finishing blows, and then you get them all at once, synchronized with Ellie Goulding shouting "BURN"

Orgasmic.
That's exactly how I had envisioned it.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Got some videos from a Smash Weekend my friends and I had a week or so ago. This thread hasn't had any new videos in a while so decided to record a bit. Literally played Smash for 2 days straight..(ok I lied, we slept and ate food at different parts of the day). Please critique these videos/enjoy them. I tried to get a lot of different matchups recorded. They aren't all uploaded yet but as soon as they are, I'll add them to this post. :)

* Placeholder for :zelda:
* Placeholder for :lucario:

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Thanks for submitting them. Generally I won't seek out matches on Youtube to add them to this thread because I don't know whether people want those matches to be the ones that represent them to the public. I'll probably get around to updating the thread after finals are over.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Added Snake and Charizard to my previous post. A little disappointed in the Snake matches because it didn't get nearly as bad as it usually does (a lot less mortar sliding that completes the package of Snake lol). Almost had a fully charged Flare Blade kill but got greedy. Also, fixed the second Ivysaur match. It was linked to the wrong match.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Fraid not. I've been putting it off 'til I have a CRT in my room that I can practice on, and I haven't gotten around to that.

D

Deleted member

There are a MILLION crts in your house seth, what are you talking about?!?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Updated the OP with most of the videos. I haven't updated Sethlon's vids yet, but I plan on giving that section some special treatment when I do.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Hey guys! So I was playing netplay today and thought to record it for critiquing reasons, so here you go! I have some problems as well with zoning/projectile characters as you can maybe see there, so any help would be appreciated!

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Critique my Roy, please! I played yesterday in a tourney, and this is the only match that got streamed. I'll update it with the youtube address when/if they post it.

http://www.twitch.tv/gatorgaming/b/558813908
Starts @ 43:47

I asked the guy who I played, as well as several other spectators. From what they're seeing, my combos and movement are all pretty good, but I need more experience, with both playing against actual people (I go to as many tournies as I can; I've had PM downloaded for about a month and mostly train on Lvl 7 CPUs) and matchups in general. They also tell me to practice a few techs like Wavedash OoS, DAir OoS, and to Grab more since I'm, y'know, a Fire Emblem character.

One guy actually told me that my patient playing style would make Marth a fitting character. I kind of agree with him a bit, but I feel like I need to finish putting work in with Roy before I switch-up characters.

Edit: Twitch is stupid, so I can't here anything the commentators have to say -.- Really hope they get this uploaded to Youtube.

Last edited:

camerino1

Smash Lord
I went to a tournament last weekend that was just a local thing. This is the first match that has been posted in P:M, since he had some difficulties uploading due to corrupt data. I didn't go Roy the entire time, so bear with me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqr_9w9RywY
4:30
7:40
23:20 and beyond.
Things I saw I needed work on were sweetspotting my recovery, getting tighter with my l-cancelling, working a bit on speeding up my reads and less dash attack because it isn't safe on shield at all. You guys are most likely better than me though, so tell me what more you all see. I'll have more in tournament matches for you guys in a day or two as well.

Asureflames, your Roy has nice ground movement. What I would like to see from you in the future is more solidified throw setups. When against a floatier or a mid fall speed character, opt for f-throw or b-throw. Throwing them upward is good for having position control, but until you and I get better the more guaranteed stuff off of f- and b-throw would be smarter. You've also gotta work on spacing. You're getting hit by a lot of recoveries, which can either be countered or outspaced with f-tilt or smash. Try hitting stuff with the tip more. Even if the tip is weaker, it still has amazing range and keeps them off-stage.

I'm too tired at the moment to do anymore, but I'll be back!

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Thanks for the reply camerino1. I've been working on my game a lot since then and you're exactly right. Idk why i had so many UThrows. I only Fthrow>tech chase and Dthrow>FSmash for my throws. If you dont use DThrow>Fsmash for the DI mixup you really should , its been netting me tons of stocks lately. My movement has improved a lot by utilizing more platform wavelanding and WDing out of shield. Also my spacing has improved a bit, that was easily the weakest part of my game. Once i get home from work ill take a peek at your guys' replays ^^

Last edited:
Top Bottom