• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flames of Pherae: The Roy Video Thread

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
With the Project M debut of the most fiery swordsman of them all, I think some video sharing is in order! Post matches of Roy gameplay, give and receive feedback, and help develop this reinvigorated character's potential. I'll do my best to keep the OP organized and up to date as time goes on.

[collapse=ATP] vs CBP (Squirtle)
[/collapse]

[collapse=Blade]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Box7] vs Chaser (Ganon)
vs Chaser (Mewtwo) 1
vs Chaser (Mewtwo) 2
vs Chaser (Samus) 1
vs Chaser (Samus) 2
[/collapse]

[collapse=FlashingFire] DIOD7 Loser's Semis: vs RunDMX (Meta Knight/Olimar)
DIOD7 Loser's Finals: vs Dr. Poison (Mewtwo)
[/collapse]

[collapse=Gamegenie222] vs Kong (Fox) at 3:41:20

vs Yeerk (Pit)

vs Yeerk (Roy) 1
vs Yeerk (Roy) 2
vs Yeerk (Roy) 3
[/collapse]

[collapse=Kuraudo] http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/490668503?t=21m51s (Kuraudo :roypm: vs. FalseFalco :ike:) Game 1 - Game 2, I went Charizard.
http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/490668503?t=45m28s (Kuraudo :roypm: vs. Yoshiii6 :fox:) Game 2 - Game 1, I went Mewtwo.
http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/490668503?t=148m12s (Kuraudo :roypm: vs. KillLock :marth:) Winner's Finals (Got 3-0'd. Hahah.)
http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/490668503?t=164m40s (Kuraudo :roypm: vs. StutterFoot :linkmelee:) Loser's Finals (3-0'd StutterFoot) All three games Roy.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Logia666] vs TM87 (Mario)
[/collapse]

[collapse=Lunchables] vs Sethlon (Roy)
[/collapse]

[collapse=NinjaLink] (yes these are numbered correctly)
Friendlies Part 2
Friendlies Part 3
Friendlies Part 4
Friendlies Part 5 \
[/collapse]

[collapse=Qraq] Winner's Semis (Game 2): vs RabidJackal (Wolf)
Winner's Finals (Game 1): vs NoU (Lucas/Kirby)
[/collapse]

[collapse=Ryo] Gamers HQ Grand Finals: vs Jeck (ZSS)
[/collapse]

[collapse=Sethlon] Doubles GFs: Sethlon+M2k vs Oracle+Denti
Singles Loser's Semi's: Sethlon vs Oracle

Apex 2014: vs JCaesar (ROB)
Apex 2014: vs ESAM (Samus, DK)
Apex 2014 Loser's Eighths: vs Ally (Ike)
Apex 2014 Loser's Quarters: vs Mew2King (Marth)

Smash9 WF: vs Lunchables (Toon Link, Roy)
Smash9 GF: vs Denti (Ivysaur)[/collapse]

[collapse=SoldierSunday] WiFi Friendlies[/collapse]

[collapse=Sprawlers] (game 2) vs S0ft (Marth) [/collapse]

[collapse=Veishi336] Only the first fight: vs GhostAnime (Mewtwo)
Second fight @ 4:45: vs GhostAnime (Mario)
Second fight @ 4:04: vs GhostAnime (Mario)[/collapse]

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I'll try to get some games recorded soon. I'll be going to a tournament on the 14th so, WE SHALL SEE. I'll make some comments on your video later tho~

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Oh how I wish I could record matches.

Like seriously.

Think Roy alone will make me pick up Wi-Fi Safe PM so I can fight everyone.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
@FleshingFire, this is something I need to work on, but teching should be a little more ingrained in the brain and instant. In the third fight against Manzana, not teching cost you your first stock. However, I noticed that your teching went way up after that.

Another thing is if you're going to use Up-B from the ground, it's purely situational. It's has a devastating set back if you miss. I guess just learning when to do it in that moment is just by playing more. Maybe more of an out-of-shield option? I haven't tested that myself.

But besides that I like how patient you are. I wish I could do that more and think of what to do next. Good job on this man.

Hopefully I can get my capture card to work soon so I can record some stuff. Maybe after getting through this next week and a half. I'm in major crunch time right now.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Thanks for the feedback!

Basically anytime you see me do a grounded Up B against a character that's not Jigglypuff, you can assume it's a flubbed input. Specifically, it happens to me sometimes when I try to start a Side B combo - since I often use the upward second hit, if I miss the first input it results in me using a move that I most definitely shouldn't.

And yeah, missing techs vs Falcon sucks :/ though sometimes not teching can be a useful mixup (since you gain your getup attack as an option).

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Maybe soon I'll have some matches to upload :)
Tech timing still has some getting used to still.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Thinkin' I'll get some Roy matches recorded once I can meetup with some friends of mine.

Roy is just too much fun.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
This isn't going to be much of a critique, but I noticed some neat stuff in those matches that I'd like to discuss.

1st hit of DED into Grab is a new one on me, but it looks really good against floaties. Roy seems to have some really effective combos on Ivysaur (witness the 3-piece DI mixup at 8:41 in the doubles set), which is encouraging to someone who really hates fighting that character like I do. Fthrow into Dash Attack is relatively obvious in hindsight, but I usually just use Ftilt instead...DA seems to yield better positioning and combo potential, I'll have to experiment with that. Ledgehop Uair is interesting. Uair is a move I'm not too good with in general, but from what I've seen its combo potential is pretty juicy. Grab, Fsmash, Bair...lots of good stuff.

Dair and Bair sweetspots reach higher than I thought O.o

Also, would you mind explaining some of your thoughts on your bans and CPs for that set?

Good matches overall, thanks for sharing.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Only got two matches recorded, and I get mostly bopped by Oracle's ROB, but here are a couple vids from Forte last weekend;

Doubles GFs: Sethlon+M2k vs Oracle+Denti
Singles Loser's Semi's: Sethlon vs Oracle
Close singles matches. I shed a tear when Roy didn't jump for the D-Air kill after you F-Air'd R.O.B. I do that all the time. :( I don't think you got bopped but I can definitely see why you would think so.

Has anyone played against Snake with Roy yet? Feels like Roy's worst matchup by far..

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Close singles matches. I shed a tear when Roy didn't jump for the D-Air kill after you F-Air'd R.O.B. I do that all the time. :(

I just...I needed it lol.
I'm actually not too familiar with the spacing needed for ken comboing ROB specifically, so I'm not certain if it would have worked even if I had gotten the DJ input in there correctly.

I've played a bit against snake. It does feel pretty obnoxious navigating his mine/bomb fields.

@ FlashingFire;

Yeah, DED -> grab is pretty good on floatier characters. Most of the time I would much rather just continue the DED into x^ or x>, but they often go too high for x> to connect, and at that height against floaties if they DI/smash DI the x^ correctly there aren't any followups and you're left in a pretty bad position.

I dunno if its just that Roy has a function dash attack or something else, but fthrow definitely feels better for follow ups than dthrow. I wasn't able to get anything off of dthrow on ROB even when he DIed in =/. Fthrow dash attack does lead to quite tasty follow ups though, so I'm not really complaining. People will eventually catch on that you can either DI down+away to avoid it though, or even DI in+up (though that would lead into other combo variations).

Yeah, bair/dair both hit pretty high. The swordsmen actually have hitboxes on their arm/shoulders for their sword swinging attacks. Behold!

(Eventually I'm going to compile all of Roy's frame/hitbox data into a thread. Gonna need to figure out how to view stuff like IASAs/landing lag, and a more efficient way of adding frame count first though lol.)

As for stage picking; at first I wanted to go to the smallest stages possible. ROB has a pretty good recovery distance wise, and I had hard times edgeguarding it even as marth, so I knew I wouldn't be able to kill him that way. After the GHZ game I realized that I was getting gimped waaaay too much though. Marth vs ROB on PkStdm2 is pretty bad IMO, but since Roy has more solid kill setups at high percents I figured it would be good to go there, have plenty of stage to not get thrown off of, and play the "just rack up damage and get star KOs" game instead. That strategy worked fairly well for his Dreamland counterpick as well, though my suicide at 25ish% definitely was too much of a deficit to come back from.

Last edited:

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
@ Sethlon Sethlon
I think it would've worked. I felt the phire..it tells me...to grasp victory..this will combo into D-Air..

Its not just the traps with Snake, its up close too. You get through everything and then F-tilts and AAA biscuits for breakfast. lol There's a magical spacing in there somewhere.

My friend uploaded some matches. I'll see if I can get him to post them up here.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I don't have YouTube videos, but I've got links from Twitch.tv! This was from a weekly tournament that we have here in Edmonton. Our PM community is pretty healthy right now for being just one city! I don't get to play as often as I'd like to, but I'm making strides and hope I can keep getting better. I use Roy, Charizard and Mewtwo respectively (mostly Roy and Charizard).

FlashingFire, you were watching the Stream I heard! Thank you for your time and any feedback is appreciated. If not feedback, enjoy or whatevs? UTilt is a really good move and I needed to use it more, definitely... There's a big tournament coming up this weekend though so I'll definitely be representing Roy there too!

http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/490668503?t=21m51s (Kuraudo :roypm: vs. FalseFalco :ike:) Game 1 - Game 2, I went Charizard.
http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/490668503?t=45m28s (Kuraudo :roypm: vs. Yoshiii6 :fox:) Game 2 - Game 1, I went Mewtwo.
http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/490668503?t=148m12s (Kuraudo :roypm: vs. KillLock :marth:) Winner's Finals (Got 3-0'd. Hahah.)
http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/490668503?t=164m40s (Kuraudo :roypm: vs. StutterFoot :linkmelee:) Loser's Finals (3-0'd StutterFoot) All three games Roy.

Grand Finals right after that, I basically got stomped Game 1 against KillLock and went Charizard afterwards.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Haha yeah, I definitely remember being in the stream and saying you should Ftilt more. I'll take a closer look at some of those matches and give you a thorough critique later, but tonight I'm just going to update the OP a bunch to include your links and add some more of my own vids.

Keep reppin Roy!

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
It's hard to judge the precision of his inputs since it's wifi, but he seems to have a good grasp of roy's movement, I'd say to keep improving it by adding more wavelanding and dash dancing.

He seems to be struggling when not knowing what to do in neutral, often short hopping forward and Nairing with you just dash back and returning to punish him. There is a certain range between Roy and the opponent that he can stay mostly safe and still be able to hit sourspot ftilts, that's the optimal range for him to approach, stay and punish errors such as badly spaced attacks or rolls behind you. He can weave back and forth on that range to attack harder or retreat.

Avoid shffl'ing forward without thinking, it's highly punishable.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
@Box7: I have a friend who mains Samus and is working on his overall game, so most of my comments are going to be directed towards those last two matches.

After you got warmed up in the first match, you seemed to be pretty comfortable with your tech skill, minus that airdodge SD in game 4. It's a simple mistake that I wouldn't worry about too much - those will go away with practice. I generally liked your use of Fsmash. It's more liberal than what I usually do, but it netted you some relatively early kills on a deceptively heavy character. I saw a nice bit of SHFFL Uair juggling in game 5 that I wish had been more frequent. Keep using those Uairs and Utilts to make Samus really regret being above you - Usmash less though, unless you're pretty sure it will kill.

This is something I've been making myself more aware of lately, and I think you could really benefit from: be very intentional with your move selection. Save the Usmashes and neutral Bs for combo finishers or mixups like DACUSing and wavebouncing, and solidify your low-percent combo game. Admittedly that game is hard to play against Samus, but it's doable if you juggle her like I mentioned earlier. If she gets too CC happy, use more grabs, Dtilts and Dsmashes.

If you can, pick stages like Battlefield and Fountain that give you platforms to navigate. In addition to boosting Roy's movement game, this will give you places to take refuge from missiles and opportunities to keep enemies above you.

Be patient at the ledge! Samus can only do so many things at the ledge, and most of them are punishable if you shield them (Fair, Nair, etc) or space an Ftilt properly.

@ Kuraudo Kuraudo : Again, I'm going to talk primarily about one matchup I noticed you struggle at - Winner's Finals vs Killock.

So I think we can both agree that Marth wins the keepaway game. He gets significantly more reward for catching you at the edge of his range, and in general his moves are slightly faster and less punishable. That means you have to have your movement game on point and be ready to bait and punish attacks rather than preemptively throw out some of your own. Most of the times you tried to wavedash back and Fsmash (or Fsmash in neutral period), you whiffed and got punished. Instead, be a little more patient. In game 2, an over-eager Nair got shieldgrabbed and led to the loss of your first stock. Also, Ftilt more often. Marth really has nothing as quick and far-reaching as Roy's F-tilt, a move which can single-handedly stuff a variety of Marth's grounded and short hopped approaches. That keepaway game? Suddenly you have a powerful tool to swing it in your favor. If you force Marth to respect your space, you can potentially gain ground on him to the point where you force him to commit to something like a jump that you can take advantage of. Then you can start the frenetic SHFFLing and combos and Fsmash follow-ups.

Again, be patient when ledgeguarding. Ftilt still out-ranges Marth's options and can be angled to poke at ledgehops or missed sweetspots. Throwing out attacks will get you nowhere if he can just wait them out every time. Also, if possible, steal the ledge from him. Practice running at the ledge and doing a turnaround wavedash to quickly slide off and grab it (or, alternatively, just do a RAR short hop). Killock took the ledge from you on many occasions, and he was able to capitalize on what that forced you to do many times.

On the plus side of things, your DED game looks solid and your technical fundamentals look sound as well. Your combo game was also fun to watch when it was in full swing - I just wish you'd been able to see it more often. Keep it up, and congrats on getting as far in the tournament as you did.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
@Box7: I have a friend who mains Samus and is working on his overall game, so most of my comments are going to be directed towards those last two matches.

After you got warmed up in the first match, you seemed to be pretty comfortable with your tech skill, minus that airdodge SD in game 4. It's a simple mistake that I wouldn't worry about too much - those will go away with practice. I generally liked your use of Fsmash. It's more liberal than what I usually do, but it netted you some relatively early kills on a deceptively heavy character. I saw a nice bit of SHFFL Uair juggling in game 5 that I wish had been more frequent. Keep using those Uairs and Utilts to make Samus really regret being above you - Usmash less though, unless you're pretty sure it will kill.

This is something I've been making myself more aware of lately, and I think you could really benefit from: be very intentional with your move selection. Save the Usmashes and neutral Bs for combo finishers or mixups like DACUSing and wavebouncing, and solidify your low-percent combo game. Admittedly that game is hard to play against Samus, but it's doable if you juggle her like I mentioned earlier. If she gets too CC happy, use more grabs, Dtilts and Dsmashes.

If you can, pick stages like Battlefield and Fountain that give you platforms to navigate. In addition to boosting Roy's movement game, this will give you places to take refuge from missiles and opportunities to keep enemies above you.

Be patient at the ledge! Samus can only do so many things at the ledge, and most of them are punishable if you shield them (Fair, Nair, etc) or space an Ftilt properly.
Thanks for the advice! If you were referring the advice to me specifically, I'm not Box7. I'm Chaser. My friend is Box7. :p

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
@ FlashingFire FlashingFire a couple quick critiques in your match vs JZ's fox;

In this situation, after getting hit by the fox upsmash, its a much safer idea to simply pull back and grab the ledge, rather than try to land back on stage. Going for on stage, you're losing out on your double jumps and a lot of mobility, making it easy for your opponent to run around your options and get you where they want you. It takes a bit of patience, but pulling back, grabbing the ledge, and then fighting to regain stage positioning from there gives you a lot more options to regain momentum.

In this spot, after getting fox offstage, IMO its a better idea to edgeguard him by grabbing the ledge. That way, if he sideB's for the ledge, you can roll up to take the stock, and if he sideBs onto the stage you can ledgehop nair/bair to punish. If he goes to firefox in response, you can ledgehop bair/flareblade to cover pretty much all of his options.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
I posted this in the social thread as a gag, but I guess it really belongs here:

www.twitch.tv/ark_yakman/b/491952948?t=14m5s My fraudulent-ass Roy vs. DK

I guess it could have gone worse, considering the only opponent I've had available until recently didn't even know what a tech was when we started playing together. Died a bunch to stupid ****, made awful decisions, had some cool combos. Kally.exe

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Thanks for the advice! If you were referring the advice to me specifically, I'm not Box7. I'm Chaser. My friend is Box7. :p
Yep, I noticed, so I typed that up in the hopes that your friend would read it at some point.

And thanks for the tips Sethlon. That Fox gives me no end of trouble when he's got room to Dash Dance (you probably noticed how much I got wrecked by DD Usmash). Grabbing ledge is something I need to do more often, so I'll work on that.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Slick stuff. Your general movement and Uair > Grab shenanigans were really fun to watch. Might want to remove the "enhancements" on the WSF matches though.

You rolled/ledgehopped too early a couple of times, which caused you a lot of trouble. Be a little more patient with that I guess. That one Usmash attempt against the Lucas was a free Bair! I was really surprised you didn't go for it there, since you seem to like the move a lot.

Anyway, I don't have much else to say except to finish your stocks more consistently - which, if that 0 to death on Wolf is any indication, you're definitely capable of.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Slick stuff. Your general movement and Uair > Grab shenanigans were really fun to watch. Might want to remove the "enhancements" on the WSF matches though.

You rolled/ledgehopped too early a couple of times, which caused you a lot of trouble. Be a little more patient with that I guess. That one Usmash attempt against the Lucas was a free Bair! I was really surprised you didn't go for it there, since you seem to like the move a lot.

Anyway, I don't have much else to say except to finish your stocks more consistently - which, if that 0 to death on Wolf is any indication, you're definitely capable of.
Yeah a lot of what my Roy is was from Melee. U -air chain grabbing spacies 0-death n such. Those enhancements were ridiculous, thanks for letting me know.
Yeah people tell me my movement is OG, I just have to work on my patience.
Thanks for the critique!

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Loving all this gameplay especially QraQ. Hopefully ill be able to record a few friendlies with my brother and I. I've never got a critique by anyone since i have no vids. Sometime soon though. Roy is just awesome.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Hosted a mega long awesome smashfest yesterday where I played Roy a good amount. It'll take me a while to start getting vids up though.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I liked all those matches. Good stuff. :)

Starting at the second fight, the only thing I can think of is to space your approaches a little better. You were mixing it up which is good, but I think those N-Air's and F-Air's on Mario's shield had more room that you could have applied from Roy's sword to make them safer. You were also whiffing the approaches quite a bit and landing right in front of Mario for him to get a free and easy punish. Mario is dangerous to attack from the front and I think that would help mitigate the danger. He can still N-Air you OOS depending on the aerial you land with but I think that it's much better than dealing with getting grabbed, D-Smash, or F-Smash to the face. There were a few instances where you landed behind Mario instead of in front of him and things went a lot better.

One thing I've been trying is F-Air to lock a character into their shield/poke and then instead of landing in front of him, landing behind them and hitting their shield again on the way down with an U-Air. Then you use up-tilt. At this point you should be free to turn-around and grab (pivot grab) or dash-dance or whatever. I'm still testing it to see if they can roll before you can land the U-Air or escape the pressure at any other point but it's been pretty reliable for me when usual Roy approaches don't work.

The other thing would be the fireballs. You gotta jump over them or something man. You can't just take that free damage like that. It adds up quick and keeps you from being able to crouch cancel stuff. Other than that, I think you were solid.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
I liked all those matches. Good stuff. :)

Starting at the second fight, the only thing I can think of is to space your approaches a little better. You were mixing it up which is good, but I think those N-Air's and F-Air's on Mario's shield had more room that you could have applied from Roy's sword to make them safer. You were also whiffing the approaches quite a bit and landing right in front of Mario for him to get a free and easy punish. Mario is dangerous to attack from the front and I think that would help mitigate the danger. He can still N-Air you OOS depending on the aerial you land with but I think that it's much better than dealing with getting grabbed, D-Smash, or F-Smash to the face. There were a few instances where you landed behind Mario instead of in front of him and things went a lot better.

One thing I've been trying is F-Air to lock a character into their shield/poke and then instead of landing in front of him, landing behind them and hitingt their shield again on the way down with an U-Air. Then you use up-tilt. At this point you should be free to turn-around and grab (pivot grab) or dash-dance or whatever. I'm still testing it to see if they can roll before you can land the U-Air or escape the pressure at any other point but it's been pretty reliable for me when usual Roy approaches don't work.

The other thing would be the fireballs. You gotta jump over them or something man. You can't just take that free damage like that. It adds up quick and keeps you from being able to crouch cancel stuff. Other than that, I think you were solid.

Keep up the good work!
thank you man. i needed some critique like this. I feel like a dunce for getting hit a thousand times by the fire balls. I actually was trying to shield each time but i wasnt timing it correctly. But thanks man I'll look to change up my approaches a bit more.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
thank you man. i needed some critique like this. I feel like a dunce for getting hit a thousand times by the fire balls. I actually was trying to shield each time but i wasnt timing it correctly. But thanks man I'll look to change up my approaches a bit more.
No problem. My friend mains Mario and I went through the same thing for Roy as you right now.

Honestly, I wouldn't even try shielding them unless you have to. I've been down that road and you just end up getting approached, grabbed, or your shield beat up on which for Roy is really bad. I jump around/run under them now.

There is power shielding them back at Mario too as an option.

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice

Anyone care to critique my Roy? I've just started playing PM like 4-5 days ago so im kinda bad lol.

I'm the one with the SS tag by the way..

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I got videos to post in here actually and I need critique mainly my tourney matches recently. Also I am not new to Roy I can play him in melee as well but was more of a troll/fun character for me.

http://www.twitch.tv/satisfyler/b/505600660 My match video starts around 3:41:18 against a melee player who kinda old school went Fox against me and I tend to freeze up against Fox at times despite being a Spacie player myself mainly Falco.

http://www.twitch.tv/satisfyler/c/3775704

MY losers match against my training partner in Project M who also uses Roy but went Pit this tourney and threw me off by surprised and this is my first time going against Pit with Roy

And my vids vs my training partner in Roy dittos weeks before the event.

Around @5:20 in the third video I make the switch to Marth cause I was getting bored of Roy. If I got any more vids I post them up in here.

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Goal for today: Update the OP with all the videos you guys have submitted, as well as some from a recent tournament Sethlon went to.

Edit: Done. Might get some of Sethlon's Apex vids while I'm at it though.

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Critiques on my DI and neutral game would be most appreciated. I've only been playing competitive smash for 2 months and these are probably my biggest weaknesses.
Some critique;

Movement in general is pretty sloppy, needs practice. Basically just do this sort of thing. 5 minutes a day will do wonders!

Up throw is a pretty bad set up for anyone who falls slower than around Roy/Sheik weight, and even for them its not very good. I would recommend sticking to fthrow/dthrow mixups and throw techchases against anyone who isn't a spacie.

Against seasoned players, charging fsmash/flareblade to edgeguard will almost never work, since they can sweetspot under it. S0ft caught on that you were doing that and nothing else after the first stock and started taking the ledge for free. I'd recommend practicing moving onto/around the ledge so you can snatch the ledge from people in those situations and punish with stuff like ledgehop bair/nair.

Fthrow -> ftilt works really well against people that DI in to you, had an opportunity for that here. Fthrow -> dash attack also works and can combo into beautiful things, but is much riskier.

Against Marth fthrow, the best way to DI is not just away, but away and down. Makes it so he can't follow up with dash attack, and could have saved you at the very end; if you DI'ed away and down and then fast falled, his dair would have likely whiffed and you would have gotten a very important stock, bringing you back to even.

Top Bottom