• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flamedashing confirmed.

M@v

Subarashii!
Flamedashing Confirmed!!!! Fox Top Tier!

EDIT: Demonstration and actual description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Znfv0okLk&index=1&list=UU5SC6D9Uo0BqJq2d_PXwLBQ

CUSTOM MOVES VERSION:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wOckbvRAeY&list=UU5SC6D9Uo0BqJq2d_PXwLBQ

This is a demonstration of Flamedashing, a Fox and Falco Advanced Technique in smash 4. This technique allows Fox and Falco to instantly cancel their firefox into a wavedash-like animation, and allows to act out of it with any move. To perform, a horizontal firefox needs to be done into a slope with a sufficient angle (I picked Corneria because its the easiest one to do it on). When the firefox connects with the slope, the Flamedash occurs, you input your desired move. I do a few in this video, and I screw up a couple time so you can see what it looks like when it misses. This technique was also in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, but was not very well known due to the lack of legal stages outside of Pokemon Stadium 2 and parts of Delfino that had the necessary slopes. Speaking of necessary slopes, this tech unfortunately does NOT work on the sides of yoshi's island-the slopes are just slightly too shallow. I have not tested it on every stage in smash 4 yet, so please feel free to test it out. It will be interesting to see if wii u stages provide us with stages flamedashing will work on.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Why should i care when you haven't told me what the **** that is? o.o

Last edited:

jr22

Smash Apprentice
Why should i care when you haven't told me what the **** that is? o.o
Flamedashing an essentially worthless Brawl Advanced Technique where Fox can FireFox horizontally into a steep slope. It sounds like a great tool except for the whole using the fire fox.

Somehow I just knew flamedashing would be in this game. lol :p

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Flamedashing an essentially worthless Brawl Advanced Technique where Fox can FireFox horizontally into a steep slope. It sounds like a great tool except for the whole using the fire fox.

Somehow I just knew flamedashing would be in this game. lol :p
Can someone post some actual video footage of this "flame dashing" then? For me,that term was completely unheard until now.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
As a 2008-2009 member of the Fox board, I APPROVE THIS THREAD.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Mmm I wonder if you can produce the move Fire Fox in real life on an actual fox.
Brb, gonna find me a fox in the woods and set it on fire.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Hey! I was just lurking through some of the old threads and happened across the interview thread... Good memories. Anyways I kind of want to start discussing Fox in Smash 4, I feel he is pretty viable so far.

M@v

Subarashii!
The japanese think he's the 7th best character in the game
The Japanese are also making a tier list way too ****ing early >:3, and for the console with the massively inferior controls.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Also, I want to test this again once I unlock the jet boots. They supposedly have a fast startup, which may make flamedashing viable if it works with them.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
What stages (likely legal) provide useful ways to do this?

Geo1576

Smash Rookie
NNID
geo1576
3DS FC
1306-6256-8837
great, there goes every sloped stage from ever being in a tournament, besides who wants to hear fox yell a teenage voice cracking "FIRE" anyway...

M@v

Subarashii!
^No seriously. I don't have the jetboots yet, but I hear they reduce the start time on upb a lot. Can you still flamedash with that custom move? If so, you may be able to pull this off in a time that's quick enough to be viable. Also, I added the description of flamedashing to the OP.

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
You know...Firefox already has no landing lag on it. Just do it on the ground and up b to the side while holding shield. You'll see the shield pops up almost instantly.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
I have unlocked the Flying Fox custom move (the jet boots that have no hitbox or startup time) and I can confirm that flamedashing still works with it.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
I think they should be allowed. A tournament I'm going to has customs legal and equipment not. With equipment you can just get ridiculous power ups. Customs allow you to switch up the play style of the character and give them more options. For instance, this Marth I was fighting in friendlies would always challenge my Fire Fox offstage so I switched the custom to Flying Fox to go farther and faster to evade his gimp attempts. What do you think?

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I really like the idea personally, I think it would make the game far more interesting, though I suppose it's going a bit against the grain of normality for competitive "fighters". I heard someone once say that if you need to adjust the standard rule set for tournament play of any game it is not a fighter. Personally I think smash has so much going for it I'd be down to experiment.

Hidden Arwing

Smash Apprentice
I'd think not using any of the new features and customs of smash would be such a waste. It's there, so I believe we should use it to it's full extent in tournaments. Also it'll create more variety in fighting styles and a lot of different matches to watch~

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
The tournaments I've gone to have used the following stage list:
Starters
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination (normal)
  • Yoshi's Island
CP's
  • Arena Ferox
  • Tomadochi Life
  • Prism Tower
  • Omega Forms*
*the rule is: if FD is striked, so are all Omega forms. If it's not striked, and the loser wants to choose and Omega stage, then the winner may choose to ban forms that have walls on the sides (ex, Gerudo Valley, Boxing Ring) or ban the ones characters can go underneath (ex, Battlefield, Rainbow Road).

The only stages I see where this technique will work are some transformations of Arena Ferox and Prism Tower, as well as Yoshi's.

Also, some of the tournaments I've gone to have had two entries: one for singles standard, and one for singles custom moves.

M@v

Subarashii!
I have unlocked the Flying Fox custom move (the jet boots that have no hitbox or startup time) and I can confirm that flamedashing still works with it.
Nice, good to know. It has a faster startup so it may be more viable if you plan to try to use flamedashing at all. I unlocked the other up b custom (the barrel roll I think its called?), and Flamedashing DOES NOT work with it. HOWEVER, the move behaves entirely different than normal firefox. Instead of bouncing off the ground, the move with change course to go along the slope without ending. It will never end before the full duration of the move unless interrupted by another move or a ledge autosnap. You can even up b straight down into the ground, and it will snap 90 degrees upon contact with the ground, continuing parallel until the move ends. This makes it useful for offense in its own ways separate from the normal firefox.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Nice, good to know. It has a faster startup so it may be more viable if you plan to try to use flamedashing at all. I unlocked the other up b custom (the barrel roll I think its called?), and Flamedashing DOES NOT work with it. HOWEVER, the move behaves entirely different than normal firefox. Instead of bouncing off the ground, the move with change course to go along the slope without ending. It will never end before the full duration of the move unless interrupted by another move or a ledge autosnap. You can even up b straight down into the ground, and it will snap 90 degrees upon contact with the ground, continuing parallel until the move ends. This makes it useful for offense in its own ways separate from the normal firefox.
Those are some super interesting properties, I didn't know about how it goes 90 degress when aimed into the ground. By the way, the name for it is "Twisting Fox" I believe, but it should've been called Barrel Roll and have been able to reflect projectiles along with kill. The next Smash 3DS tourny I'm going to has Corneria legal as a counterpick stage, I think I'm gonna try to cheese some people with the Flying Fox Flamedash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom