• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fixing Sonic

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's playstyle has been scrutinized, especially recently, as his moves and speed generally encourage camping. So, I just wanted to throw out some concepts to try to make sonic more of an aggressive character.
Side B- Boost
The boost would be a move with little to no startup. It would have a small hitbox, with no disjoint, so it could be stuffed out. The boost lasts as long as the user holds side b in one direction. If it hits the opponent, it can be cancelled with no lag. However, if the boost misses, it has a lot of ending lag. This will ensure that sonic has an opportunity to exploit openings without being too defensive.
Down B- Bounce Bracelet
The Down B would help to extend sonic's options. It would work similarly to Yoshi's down B. The difference would be that sonic bounces off of the opponent's head, spiking the opponent on the ground or in the air. This could work quite well as a combo finisher.
It frustrates me that making sonic less campy is only getting rid of two especially campy moves. It's weird, because I think sonic's playstyle is quite the opposite of how he is portrayed in his games. You don't see that a lot with other characters.

Tokesthe420

Smash Rookie
I don't think his playstyle should be changed. Hear me out.
It is always good to have a diversity of playstyles. I have personally taken a liking to Sonic because I come from traditional fighting games (I've played alot of street fighter MK BlazBlue etc) and his playstyle feels familiar to me with good spacing and whiff punish. I understand that it may not be most people's preferred way to play but I don't think discouraging a particular playstyle is a healthy way to go about things in regards to a games long term health.

My idea for sonic is to actually build on this playstyle but make it more based around a hit and run style

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't think his playstyle should be changed. Hear me out.
It is always good to have a diversity of playstyles. I have personally taken a liking to Sonic because I come from traditional fighting games (I've played alot of street fighter MK BlazBlue etc) and his playstyle feels familiar to me with good spacing and whiff punish. I understand that it may not be most people's preferred way to play but I don't think discouraging a particular playstyle is a healthy way to go about things in regards to a games long term health.

My idea for sonic is to actually build on this playstyle but make it more based around a hit and run style
I think the best way to go about changing Sonic's moveset would be to make it more accurate to the games. Having nearly half of his moves revolve around an arcade fighter no one played and Spindash is not the way I want one of my favorite video game characters represented in Smash. There's so much more Sonic's about than just being a ball, and even though they were on time constraints with Brawl, and I understand that, they hardly changed it in the next two games. For God's sake, instead of giving Sonic a more unique attack they just gave him another stage, and it's not even a very good stage.
So should his playstyle be changed? Nah, I could care less, it's annoying but what you gonna do. I think they should either change it by adding more elements from the Classic games (since his moveset hardly references anything from Modern games despite the look) or make Sonic more accurate to his current line of games. For example, let's say we went with the first option. Sonic could throw out a spring that would bounce around like a Doc pill and anyone it hit would be bounced back. You could have the Insta Shield for a neutral air, Bubble Shield for a down b, Fire Shield for a side b, Electric Shield for an up air, for his down smash he could summon spikes at each side of him, drop dash for a down air, etc. There's a lot you can do with Classic Sonic. They can keep most of the Fighters moves as well since that's from the Classic era. Alternatively they could go Modern. Things like the Boost, Light Speed Dash, Bounce, Stomp, Slide, Light Speed Attack, Sonic Advance and Battle moves, and Tails (as a recovery). I would like to see his playstyle changed as well. Because Sonic games are all about knowing the level inside and out, as well as your own abilities, and going through as fast as you can. But in Smash, you just run to the side of the stage and wait. I just don't feel like that accurately represents Sonic as a game character. I love Sonic because I get to go fast and prove my stage knowledge, not because I like to wait-if that were the case I'd just play Sonic 06 and stare at loading screens all day. Giving Sonic moves that are fast burst options with little to no endlag means that people who want to be good with him will be forced into a playstyle they may not like. I want to play Sonic so badly, but it's just boring as hell without many moves that reference the majority of the franchise or a playstyle that more so resembles his games. Look at Steve. Regardless of your opinion on Minecraft, this looks like a character where I can come from Minecraft and feel like I'm playing a Minecraft character. Mega Man feels like I'm playing a Robot Master fight. Pac-Man feels like I'm winding through a maze and trapping my opponents in it, all while also playing a platformer that the later games resemble. Bayonetta feels like I'm playing a stylish action game, trying to extend my combos for as long as I can while taunting my opponents. So yeah, maybe Sonic could have a moveset where he's fast but doesn't have a move that lets him camp at ledge all day. By simply removing the two Spindashes we have now that could go a long way for making him more like the games. And if they took after Classic Sonic, they could make it so his run speed depends on the momentum he has, so the longer you move or the steeper the slope, the more it affects your momentum.
I just want to enjoy playing as Sonic, man.

Top Bottom