• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fishing Rod MIGHT Be Able to Grab Shielding Enemies (Deconfirmed)

LGameTales

Smash Cadet
Okay everyone, big deal! (I think.)

We all know by now that Fishing Rod bounces off shields and therefore may not be able to grab shielding enemies, but I was looking over footage and I think I just found Fishing Rod grabbing someone in shield!

https://youtu.be/5T1YrXao-W0?t=16

(Why aren't images working??)

Duck Hunt is shielding and it looks as if Isabelle's Rod grabbox starts inside the shield and so Duck Hunt gets grabbed! We can see here that Duck Hunt's shield isn't even gone yet and he has been hooked. (This is a new phenomenon that happens in Ultimate. The shield effect will stay out for a frame even though the character is not shielding anymore.)

It is possible that Duck Hunt tried to act on this exact frame and was grabbed for it, but it is also possible that if Rod starts inside the shield, it can grab the enemy. It is too soon to say for certain. This frame is the frame that Rod's grabbox would come out, so I have hope that it isn't a big coincidence.

Edit:

It was a coincidence! Isabelle cannot grab enemies with Rod while they are in shield, even at this close range.

Last edited:

Blobulle

Smash Rookie
Yeah I think Duck Hunt released his shield on the same frame the hook hit him.
Isabelle would be busted if her rod could go through shields.

Last edited:
Top Bottom