• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FISHING ROD IS NOT SAFE IN NEUTRAL

Pop0615

Smash Rookie
its not safe guys. Ive seen quite a few izzys online doing fishing rod just out of the blue and i just came to this realization recently when i went to a tourney and was punished almost every time i threw it out in neutral. a lot a characters and run in and hit you in the face before the rod comes back to you even thought it also grabs on the way back. i personally think it should be used more sparingly and only when you are in advantage or when your opponent is off the stage.

also can we talk about how if you throw someone down in the air with the fishing rod they still bounce instead of going straight to hell?

smoulder

Smash Rookie
It really isn't that hard to punish in general as if you miss you are left very vulnerable due to animation frames, however bigger characters such as DK on triplats (which is what you mostly play online) definitely have trouble breaking through the fishing rod wall. In general, fishing rod should probably be kept away for edge guarding and ranged situations.

Last edited:

Pop0615

Smash Rookie
it does work well against larger characters but smaller quicker characters are a different story.

Here a video describing what i mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9xp5RJgnk

now i feel this isabelle wasnt using her closer ranged moves like ftilt and dtilt more effectively. but almost every time this guy throws out a fishing rod in neutral he is punished. even the commentators mention it.

Last edited:

smoulder

Smash Rookie
it does work well against larger characters but smaller quicker characters are a different story.

Here a video describing what i mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9xp5RJgnk

now i feel this isabelle wasnt using her closer ranged moves like ftilt and dtilt more effectively.
I definitely see what you mean. Isabelle gets punished for almost every single close range fishing rod in that fight.

Pop0615

Smash Rookie
Imagine a Pichu punishing Isabelle for random fishing rods. Sounds painful.
Oof!

but on some levels i think the fishing rod is one of her best tools. it should just be used a lot less because its so good.

MangoPeachey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1868-5016-7402
Yeah it really is good when you respect it as a tool in your kit. Can't just be waving that fishing rod around like a Chrom sword!

MangoPeachey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1868-5016-7402
Funny how I either encounter Isabelles who spam rod, or Isabelles that don't use rod at all. I'd love to see the perfect mix and play against a good Isabelle

Pop0615

Smash Rookie
i mean.. if you arent standing on the side of the stage fishing for your off stage opponent are you even playing isabelle?

smoulder

Smash Rookie
With any character, you need to have a good balance of move utilization, and know when its best to use each one.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Random fishing rods are great for online FFA play. Random fishing rods are not good for competitive play. Random anything is not good for competitive play lololol

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The move that leaves you vulnerable for ten years if it doesn't land isn't safe? Wow.

But yeah. I try to use it to punish mistakes, keyword being "try".

Pop0615

Smash Rookie
The move that leaves you vulnerable for ten years if it doesn't land isn't safe? Wow.
true but a lot of people coming from playing villager try a lot of side B in neutral. and because its such a good move for her people are trying to make use of it in a plethora of situations.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
true but a lot of people coming from playing villager try a lot of side B in neutral. and because its such a good move for her people are trying to make use of it in a plethora of situations.
There is some muscle memory affecting my gameplay, I can admit. I will sometimes throw the rod thinking I am throwing a lloid rocket lol.

Top Bottom