• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Tournament

Wello

Smash Rookie
I'm going to my first tournament this weekend. Any tips/advice for my first time?

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
But on the other hand i would say have as much fun as possible i recommend for you not to aim at winning in this tournament i would say just gain some experience do as much friendlies as possible and try to get better. Good luck in your first tournament dude and have a lot of fun.(and also dont get mad or stressed out over a loss)

Wello

Smash Rookie
thanks for the advice. I shall channel my inner Isai

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
Get on a console and play some early games. A lot of players are too shy and nervous to just walk up and ask too play. Stick with only one character for your first tourney unless you really hate the match up. Ban lylat if it's on your list of stages. Ban the player if they suggest lylat.
You are probably going to see someone have a melt down or be a little strange just try to do your best to ignore it and continue doing your thing.

xZRx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7739-8489-3763
Ive never played an event or even been to one either, is there time//space for 'casual' games before or after usually?

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Ive never played an event or even been to one either, is there time//space for 'casual' games before or after usually?
Never went myself but I know for sure that most tourney, locals or bigger events, always some friendlies set up to practice.

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
at smaller tourneys like game underground they do friendlies before bracket starts and then friendlies again at top 16 or 8 when sets start opening up.

BTHK_Nydus

Smash Rookie
I'm going to my first tournament this weekend. Any tips/advice for my first time?
How did it go!? Did you have fun? Play some friendlies? Snag any wins? I haven't been to any Ultimate events yet myself (and no melee events in years...) so give me some vicarious thrills! haha

Top Bottom