• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First time since early years - OMG this game is fun

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I used to play Smash 64 a bit back in my late childhood, in the daycare where I waited for my mom to finish her work schedule to take me home (after I got off of school) I played Smash 64 with the kids there (usually younger than me)

However Melee had come out by then, and tbh, I mostly played Melee. I played Smash 64 infrequently at best. Not that it wasn't good, but Melee was...well...'the thing' to play back then XD

Now I have downloaded the emulator, and......this game is FUN

Like, the sound effects are SO satisfying, the gameplay is smooth, it controls very well, and its very rewarding overall.

I like all Smash games, and this is DEFINITELY not an exception to this <3

Any of you have that experience, where you came back to Smash 64 YEARS later, and find it surprising how awesome and fun it is?~

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
for sure dude
how'd you decide to pick it back up again? And have you heard of this?
http://www.smashladder.com/netplay/Smash64
I have actually heard of Smashladder (got an account there, but never did anything cuz was too shy to challenge people to Smash 4)...and I had heard Smash 64 could be played online

But I always thought it'd require some special program or another o.o or was overly complicated.

I picked it back up cuz well...

I saw Isai vs Kikoushi (or whatever his name was) and let's just say that left a big impression on me XD

Annex

Smash Ace
But I always thought it'd require some special program or another o.o or was overly complicated
It does require a special program to play online but it's not very complicated, and if you have your emulator running with the controller you want to use already you're most of the way there

If you end up wanting to get into online go check out the Playing Online section of the smash 64 index, which is that stickied thread at the top. It's a fun time :upsidedown:
Or check out the ssb player location world map or regional smash facebook groups to find other smashers near you

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I doubt Id be able to find any 64 communities in panama XP

So online would be the stuff to go to. But.....

I don't consider myself nearly good enough to play anyone yet x.x

I've just started to use Z-cancelling consistently, and getting used to the fact there are no side specials.

I am likin Fox in this game tho. <3

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I doubt Id be able to find any 64 communities in panama XP

So online would be the stuff to go to. But.....

I don't consider myself nearly good enough to play anyone yet x.x

I've just started to use Z-cancelling consistently, and getting used to the fact there are no side specials.

I am likin Fox in this game tho. <3
thats about where i was at when i started playing online xD i got wrecked a lot but i also found some players at about my level

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I do love the fact that using joytokey, I'm able to use triangle to jump and circle to do aerials tho <3 (ps3 controller)

Also theres no bubbleshield in this game x-x

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Yeah, like I started playing competitively in september,
although i've been playing console for all my life, but just casual play.
i feel like i can't believe anything u say. When u joined the boards you already seemed to know all of the dynamics of the 64 section which is odd. My best bet is that u are just Sangoku seeking your revenge by **** posting until the new mod quits

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Thought you were darklink-x for a second
Darklink-X? Who's that? o.o

Also IDK if I'll play Smash 64 competitively, but it's sure awesome....though....for some reason the rom makes all my items tiny....even Yoshi's eggs.....

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
i feel like i can't believe anything u say. When u joined the boards you already seemed to know all of the dynamics of the 64 section which is odd. My best bet is that u are just Sangoku seeking your revenge by **** posting until the new mod quits
looks like you've,

Lost your marbles.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hahaha~

BTW...is it just me, or is Link's recovery HORRIBLE? X_X

Playing classic mode with him is a gamble...

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Yea... Links recovery is pretty bad. I suggest that you start off with captain falcon to get a feel of the game.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yea... Links recovery is pretty bad. I suggest that you start off with captain falcon to get a feel of the game.
Captain Falcon?

What's so good about him? :O (just unlocked him)

I did like Fox, but he falls too fast and I SD a lot due to a missed input x-x'' (cuz joytokey derps)

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon?

What's so good about him? :O (just unlocked him)

I did like Fox, but he falls too fast and I SD a lot due to a missed input x-x'' (cuz joytokey derps)
falcon can repeatedly upair enemies and finish with an up-b. Its pretty much the easiest death combo in the game to learn

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Wow
That is amazing.

xD

Are shines good in this game? cuz I seem to be able to shine someone like Link, for example, after they do their second jump, and they cant recover.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Wow
That is amazing.

xD

Are shines good in this game? cuz I seem to be able to shine someone like Link, for example, after they do their second jump, and they cant recover.
It's more that link doesn't have a recovery.

Shines are ok, but more for shield pressure, Ask Han Solo on here for otherwise semi :troll:

Annex

Smash Ace
Are shines good in this game?
Yeah
They have fixed knockback and have the unique property where if you touch the ground while you're doing one it cancels immediately with no lag. Also, when you do one you also completely stop your momentum and start to fall slowly
Combine those properties together by jumping and immediately shining to shine extremely fast. The easiest way to do this is by holding down on the stick, hitting left C and sliding your thumb to B quickly
Yay

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah
They have fixed knockback and have the unique property where if you touch the ground while you're doing one it cancels immediately with no lag. Also, when you do one you also completely stop your momentum and start to fall slowly
Combine those properties together by jumping and immediately shining to shine extremely fast. The easiest way to do this is by holding down on the stick, hitting left C and sliding your thumb to B quickly
Yay
So multishining is a thing in this game?

I never been able to pull it off, but hey,this is the only game I actually use Fox in (cept Smash 4, kinda)

So time for some fun times! :D

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Any of you have that experience, where you came back to Smash 64 YEARS later, and find it surprising how awesome and fun it is?~
I didn't discover Smash 64 until I was ~11 and that was a year before Brawl was released so I never really "came back" to the game. I more or less found it awesome and stuck with it for the past 7 years.
I wonder, considering how old the game is, do a lot of new people show up, or is it usually just the older players?
I'm 19 so... that's not very old. I was only 3 years old when this game came out >_>

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I didn't discover Smash 64 until I was ~11 and that was a year before Brawl was released so I never really "came back" to the game. I more or less found it awesome and stuck with it for the past 7 years.

I'm 19 so... that's not very old. I was only 3 years old when this game came out >_>
By older players I mean like, veterans at the game XP

Lol I was 5.

Shears

Smash Master
The hitting sound effects are also my favorite in the entire Smash series. <3
This is actually the thing I hear the most from outsiders looking into 64. Just about every time VGBC streams 64, the chat/comments/commentary etc talk about how the 64 sound effects are way better than any of the other games.

As far as coming back to 64 years later, yeah I know exactly what you mean. I played a ton as a kid until about 8th grade and then mostly just stopped playing video games until college came around. My freshman year was when brawl came out and that was basically the only thing anyone played for a year but periodically we would switch over to 64 and I would just wreck everyone and the combos and the nostalgia just made it that much more fun. So when brawl died out and all the melee nerds went back to that abomination I just decided to go back to the game I loved and enjoyed, and after years of bullying everyone in college, I was then introduced to the competitive scene which made me realize there was so much more to 64. I then bought a console and cartridge and have been going to tournaments for the past year and a half.

Welcome to 64, its a great game of purity and we definitely have the community thats the most fun and relaxed. To compare the differences between 64 and melee I like to equate it to boxing vs mma. 64 is a more technical, precise, and pure game while melee is a much more overwhelming, fast, and variable game.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This is actually the thing I hear the most from outsiders looking into 64. Just about every time VGBC streams 64, the chat/comments/commentary etc talk about how the 64 sound effects are way better than any of the other games.

As far as coming back to 64 years later, yeah I know exactly what you mean. I played a ton as a kid until about 8th grade and then mostly just stopped playing video games until college came around. My freshman year was when brawl came out and that was basically the only thing anyone played for a year but periodically we would switch over to 64 and I would just wreck everyone and the combos and the nostalgia just made it that much more fun. So when brawl died out and all the melee nerds went back to that abomination I just decided to go back to the game I loved and enjoyed, and after years of bullying everyone in college, I was then introduced to the competitive scene which made me realize there was so much more to 64. I then bought a console and cartridge and have been going to tournaments for the past year and a half.

Welcome to 64, its a great game of purity and we definitely have the community thats the most fun and relaxed. To compare the differences between 64 and melee I like to equate it to boxing vs mma. 64 is a more technical, precise, and pure game while melee is a much more overwhelming, fast, and variable game.
I'm not surprised, the hitting sound effects are just so...satisfying. I mean in the other games, sure, they're good, but not like 64 <3

So you're a really good 64 player, then? =3

Also I could tell. Since 64 people hardly ever get involved in Melee vs Brawl, and Smash 4 community is still freaking out over Diddy, for now.

I'd guess due to the age of the game, and how less people play it than the biggest, newer ones (if one can call Melee new) I'd assume the community is also pretty tight.

^.^

Shears

Smash Master
I'm ok, there is a huge skill gap between casual people you meet in your dorms and people that play in tournaments. I could beat my roommates/neighbors in college in a 1v3 with items on very high and no team attack on. But there are a ton of people here that can destroy me. Keep playing, get online, go to tournaments, and you'll realize there is way more to this game then you ever imagined.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I'm ok, there is a huge skill gap between casual people you meet in your dorms and people that play in tournaments. I could beat my roommates/neighbors in college in a 1v3 with items on very high and no team attack on. But there are a ton of people here that can destroy me. Keep playing, get online, go to tournaments, and you'll realize there is way more to this game then you ever imagined.
Were you playing Falcon? Falcon with items on very high is a wonderland :3

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Were you playing Falcon? Falcon with items on very high is a wonderland :3
Is it?

Also I was very confused in the beginning as to why I couldnt turn off items.

Then I realized I just had to play 50 vs matches.

XP

The item frequency at default isnt too bad tho o.o never gets too crazy in this game.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Hi. Can someone explain to me how to play online over Netplay on project 64? I really want to play online
Check this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-64-index-read-here-first.350305/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-rucRVGZcblagIwZtdc5dGeDUmPJFluVDeLDzzShPxI/edit For an alternate source of downloads/other stuff/a good FAQ.

Ask questions here: http://smashboards.com/threads/ask-...-thread-read-before-asking-a-question.237869/

Not in this thread, but I'll help.

Last edited:

SuperSmashMaster43

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashMaster43
3DS FC
0259-0610-0101
Top Bottom