• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First RMT Post: All Around Team - Gen VI (Note: Does not entirely follow OU standards.)

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Hello!

So, I've created a team that covers most of my weaknesses and I've even tested it out, but I would also like some feedback.

My team is overall balanced; I have different types all around, with no two Pokemon sharing a type. My team is also a mix of offense and defense.

My Pokemon choices are somewhat unorthodox, with 3 Pokemon not considered OU, but I don't really follow Smogon formats that much anyway, and I think this team should work out well for me.

The Team:

Shuckle (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+ Def, - Atk)
-Sticky Web
-Stealth Rock
-Encore
-Infestation

This is my lead. The main objective for Shuckle is to set up entry hazards and to be an attack sponge.

Sticky Web is possibly my favorite entry hazard in the game, as it lowers a grounded opponent's Speed by one stage. Stealth Rock is a must, as it hurts every Pokemon for at least a little damage. I have Encore on here for a sweeper who uses a move to boost their stats, giving my team 3 turns to try and take it out before it becomes a problem. Infestation ensure Shuckle won't fall completely victim to Taunt, and puts some residual damage on the opponent, which is useful due to Shuckle's lack of offensive presence.

I opted for Leftovers for the longevity. Of course, it also makes Shuckle more suspectable to Taunt, so I must stay alert.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+ Spe, - SpA)
-Swords Dance
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost

My main source of priority lies in Talonflame. Additionally, it is a boosting sweeper!

Swords Dance strengthens its average Attack to an acceptable level. Brave Bird is Talonflame's main attack, as it gets + 1 priority thanks to Gale Wings, and its Sharp Beak item helps strengthen it even further. Flare Blitz is here to help deal with Steel types that switch in to Brave Bird. Roost is here to help Talonflame stay on the field, and is useful to temporarily remove a potential super effective hit.

As aforementioned, I attached a Sharp Beak to help Brave Bird, its main attack, hit as hard as possible.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature (+ Spe, - Atk)
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Acid Spray
-Toxic Spikes

Tentacruel serves as my Rapid Spinner and supporter.

Scald helps cripple physically offensive Pokemon with its good 30% burn rate. Rapid Spin is the star move here, as it will aid in clearing out opposing entry hazards set up. Acid Spray, while weak, has the nifty effect of lowering the opponent's Special Defense by 2 stages, making it useful for softening up special walls. Toxic Spikes is the last move, here, as it helps hinder an opposing wall's effectiveness with poison damage.

Black Sludge is attached in case Tentacruel falls victim to Trick, as potential Trick users will take damage from Black Sludge instead of healing themselves.

Liquid Ooze is the chosen ability, here, just for the off chance I get affected by Leech Seed or hit with Giga Drain.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+ Spe, - SpA)
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt
-Pursuit

...If you couldn't tell already, Metagross is my Mega on this team. Mega Metagross is a powerful Pokemon, and thanks to Tough Claws, the majority of its contact moves can hit hard.

Meteor Mash is Metagross's Steel-type STAB move, being able to take out prevalent Rock and Fairy types, as well as giving it a chance to boost its Attack! Earthquake is here to hit Fire types as hard as possible, as well as provide neutral coverage. Zen Headbutt is its secondary STAB, used to hit Fighting types hard. Pursuit is the last option here, allowing Metagross to trap Pokemon weak to the move.

The Metagrossite is self-explanatory.

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature (+ SpA, - Spe)
-Volt Switch
-Giga Drain
-Flamethrower
-Knock Off

Eelektross serves 3 roles; special attacker, special sponge, and phaser.

Volt Switch is Eelektross's phasing move; the fact that it will be going last most of the time helps it fulfill its role. Giga Drain takes out the Ground types that Volt Switch can't hit. Flamethrower is another good coverage option that helps it deal with Steel types. Knock Off is here to hinder the effectiveness of defensive or offensive Pokemon, but mostly the former.

Assault Vest is on here to help Eelektross take special hits slightly better; a great option given its already decent bulk.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+ Spe, - Atk)
-Leaf Storm
-Dragon Pulse
-Knock Off
-Glare

Glad Serperior finally got Contrary; now it can use Leaf Storm to full effect!

Leaf Storm defines this Pokemon; thanks to Contrary, Serperior gains a 2 stage Special Attack boost, helping it become a threatening special attacker. Dragon Pulse is here for neutral coverage, as well as to aid in any Dragon types that switch in. Knock Off will hinder the effectiveness of defensive walls and Assault Vest attackers. Glare cripples faster threats that aren't Electric types, helping Serperior, as well as the rest of my team, sweep as fast as possible.

Serperior needs all the power it can get, and a Life Orb gives it that power, and it compliments with Leaf Storm's high Base Power and Serperior's below average Special Attack.

Anyway, that is my team! What do guys think? Please be nice and honest, and constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated to help improve my team overall! Thank you!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There is a sticky thread above specifically for rating teams.
I'm not sure if you're referring to the moveset critique thread or the RMT guidelines thread, but neither of those are for purposes such as this. The RMT guidelines thread merely outlines the proper structure for a thread like this (which this thread follows), and the moveset critique thread is for individual movesets, i.e. if you're looking for advice on one Pokemon, not a whole team. This thread is perfectly fine as-is.

Also, in the future, you should report posts you think are violating the rules in some way rather than commenting on them yourself.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm not sure if you're referring to the moveset critique thread or the RMT guidelines thread, but neither of those are for purposes such as this. The RMT guidelines thread merely outlines the proper structure for a thread like this (which this thread follows), and the moveset critique thread is for individual movesets, i.e. if you're looking for advice on one Pokemon, not a whole team. This thread is perfectly fine as-is.

Also, in the future, you should report posts you think are violating the rules in some way rather than commenting on them yourself.
Whoops. My bad.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Urr, the only meta you talk about is OU so I'm guessing you're using this in that.

...Other than Knock Off on Serperior (it really should be a hidden power, Fire, Rock, or Ground probably) and probly tweaking around MGross' moveset (Ice Punch, Bullet Punch, and Hammer Arm are all strong contenders for moveslots), the raw movesets are fine. There's nothing immediately wrong with the team outside the fact that you're using suboptimal mons.

As it stands, there's not much to be tweaked. To (greatly) improve this kind of team you'd have to redo it entirely. I'm not sure what you're focused on as the real offensive core of this team (I'm going to guess Metagross + Talonflame?) but Shuckle and Tentacruel are inadequate for supporting it and Eelektross straight isn't good enough as a tank or pivot.

If you're not actually trying to play competitively and it's just for fun, then the first things I mentioned are all you really need to think about. If you're actually trying to teambuild though, you need to more try and figure out what Pokemon you really want to be the center of your team and rebuild the team around it.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Urr, the only meta you talk about is OU so I'm guessing you're using this in that.

...Other than Knock Off on Serperior (it really should be a hidden power, Fire, Rock, or Ground probably) and probly tweaking around MGross' moveset (Ice Punch, Bullet Punch, and Hammer Arm are all strong contenders for moveslots), the raw movesets are fine. There's nothing immediately wrong with the team outside the fact that you're using suboptimal mons.

As it stands, there's not much to be tweaked. To (greatly) improve this kind of team you'd have to redo it entirely. I'm not sure what you're focused on as the real offensive core of this team (I'm going to guess Metagross + Talonflame?) but Shuckle and Tentacruel are inadequate for supporting it and Eelektross straight isn't good enough as a tank or pivot.

If you're not actually trying to play competitively and it's just for fun, then the first things I mentioned are all you really need to think about. If you're actually trying to teambuild though, you need to more try and figure out what Pokemon you really want to be the center of your team and rebuild the team around it.
Eelektross follows an RU standard, first of all.

Second of all, thanks for the info. The thing is, I always find difficulty trying to actually build a team since I raised so many Pokemon. Concerning Serperior learning Knock Off over Hidden Power, it was my only other option for two reasons:
1. Serperior's Hidden Power type is Dragon.
2. I am confused on how to adjust IVs to get a proper Hidden Power type.

Last edited:
Top Bottom