• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Regional, Suggestions for a Full Kirby main?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So I'm going to my first regional in a couple weeks and I was just hoping I could get some suggestions on what characters I should worry about most. I have a vague idea of who I need to worry about but specific MU(I'm playing to take detailed notes for each character so I know how to fight them) really any help is appreciated

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Luigi and Sonic are two popular characters Kirby really struggles with. Learn those MUs.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Luigi and Sonic are two popular characters Kirby really struggles with. Learn those MUs.
Lucky for me the Midwest has a lack of many solid Sonics (and I have a rough idea of how to fight him from past experience) and the only good Luigi (on my side of the bracket) is someone I play a locals

TimG57867

Smash Ace
While not as common, I'd also keep an eye out for :4yoshi: who is unquestionably our worst matchup. If you could only bring yourself to use a secondary against one opponent, I suggest doing so against either Yoshi or Luigi. Sonic is tough, but Mike Kirby has shown how to handle that matchup. Look up his sets against Blue Exorcist and Street Shark.

Other bad/iffy matchups against high/top level characters include :4mario::4ness::4myfriends::4peach::4pikachu::4dk:(:4pit::4darkpit:):rosalina::4metaknight: and :4diddy:though these are perfectly beatable with smart play.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
It yet eludes me how Yoshi could be harder to beat than Sonic. Yoshi is pretty easy in comparison honestly.

Just don't fight Sonic and you can beat em as long as you play better. Pac-Man is hard to beat if he plays the matchup properly, but be sure to grab the fruit and also take his power ASAP.

Last edited:

RedNova

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
NNID
Sam-Harness
3DS FC
0516-8001-1795
The top players in my region use Mario, Yoshi and Sonic. The last two completly wrecked me, but I managed to win 3 out of 3 games against Mario so it's not that bad of a matchup. And they aren't exactly bad players, they always beat everyone at local tournaments

TimG57867

Smash Ace
It yet eludes me how Yoshi could be harder to beat than Sonic. Yoshi is pretty easy in comparison honestly.

Just don't fight Sonic and you can beat em as long as you play better. Pac-Man is hard to beat if he plays the matchup properly, but be sure to grab the fruit and also take his power ASAP.
When MikeKirby MikeKirby went to Hawaii, I saw him do a money match against a Yoshi player named Dren, and BOY did it look like a struggle. He won a game but lost the set. I also saw him beat Raptor, but that was customs on and he still had to be pretty on point.

By contrast, he fights Blue Exorcist without customs all the time, and while it's clearly hard, he seems to have a somewhat better grip on things and doesn't lose too much. Plus he beat Street Shark at Apex. I also imagine its easier to counter stage Sonic than it is Yoshi. Same thing with @Triple R. He has a Sonic named SpinR in his area that's actually power ranked alongside him, and while Sonic clearly has the advantage, it doesn't seem like anything good play can't overcome. Frankly, I feel like between Yoshi and Sonic, I feel Yoshi is harder because Kirby at least has tools that can counter some of Sonic's shenanigans. Kirby doesn't really have anything to keep Yoshi at bay. (Final Cutter would probably make the matchup easier but it comes out on Frame 23 so :p). With Sonic, you can take him to small stages and ones with platforms, and can stop spin dash with proper use of rapid jab. Would like to hear their thoughts on this though.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
When MikeKirby MikeKirby went to Hawaii, I saw him do a money match against a Yoshi player named Dren, and BOY did it look like a struggle. He won a game but lost the set. I also saw him beat Raptor, but that was customs on and he still had to be pretty on point.

By contrast, he fights Blue Exorcist without customs all the time, and while it's clearly hard, he seems to have a somewhat better grip on things and doesn't lose too much. Plus he beat Street Shark at Apex. I also imagine its easier to counter stage Sonic than it is Yoshi. Same thing with @Triple R. He has a Sonic named SpinR in his area that's actually power ranked alongside him, and while Sonic clearly has the advantage, it doesn't seem like anything good play can't overcome. Frankly, I feel like between Yoshi and Sonic, I feel Yoshi is harder because Kirby at least has tools that can counter some of Sonic's shenanigans. Kirby doesn't really have anything to keep Yoshi at bay. (Final Cutter would probably make the matchup easier but it comes out on Frame 23 so :p). With Sonic, you can take him to small stages and ones with platforms, and can stop spin dash with proper use of rapid jab. Would like to hear their thoughts on this though.
To be honest, Dren did outplay me. I felt he had momentum and played safer than I expected. Anyway, that match up is not as bad as people have been exaggerating; -1 if anything. Stop rushing in and challenging him when you shouldn't, we're not Mario. I've decided to try to learn the match up better since that money match.

Playing Sonic is really rough. You have to accept that it's going to going to go to time and no one is going to lose a stock until minute 4; make sure it's NOT you. Mix up jab, shield and jump but overall play as SAFE as you possibly can.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
To be honest, Dren did outplay me. I felt he had momentum and played safer than I expected. Anyway, that match up is not as bad as people think it is; -1 if anything. However, I've been putting in more effort in learning the match up since then.

Playing Sonic is really rough. You have to accept that it's going to going to go to time and no one is going to lose a stock until minute 4; make sure it's NOT you. Mix up jab, shield and jump but overall play as SAFE as you possibly can.
Thanks for the input. I guess I can understand that logic. I feel like in theory, if the Sonic just kept fighting you, the matchup would be better than Yoshi, but just the simple fact that he can time you out easily if gets the stock lead (Which is the logical thing to do considering how good Kirby is up close) technically makes it harder to win in practice.

DiggsLeehay

Smash Rookie
To be honest, Dren did outplay me. I felt he had momentum and played safer than I expected. Anyway, that match up is not as bad as people have been exaggerating; -1 if anything. Stop rushing in and challenging him when you shouldn't, we're not Mario. I've decided to try to learn the match up better since that money match.

Mike-Senpai notice meh

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Ugh, Luigi's only like 45:55, Kirby has stuff on him, and Luigi's only has the (big) advantage of his down throw. And that was nerfed

Top Bottom