• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First impressions?

Daedra

vibing
Been messing around with Ryu, haven’t unlocked Ken yet but I’m extremely hype to see how this character develops and what we find. I don’t think the always facing opponent factor is as completely horrible as we feared and a lot of good can come out of it opposed to bad. Infinite uptilt is pretty nasty lol.

A lot of you are of course way more educated than I am so I’m excited to hear your inputs and opinions.

uwu

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Hey Entai, I really hope Ryu (and as well Ken) develops well over this game!
I will say that as a Ryu main, I was a bit disappointed with his showing in ultimate. As I was in the training room, I tested all of his combos he had in sm4sh and most of them are gone. They increased the duration of his n-air so basically because of that, his aerial combo game is non-existent now. No more n-air chains, n-air to d-air, n-air to drag down u-airs, etc.. As well with the auto turn machanic, you can no longer do falling f-air to RAR b-air. They just basically designed it to where Ryu really can’t be an areal fighter anymore. But when it comes to what he has with his ground, he can do some basic bread and butters like light up tilt>light down tilt>medium down tilt>tatsu. The main point though that is an issue with Ryu now is that you can no longer tilt stick. This is something that needs to be fixed returning it to the way it worked in sm4sh. He is just a really tough character to play as now and doesn’t seem as reliable in any way. The only way you can do a shoryu now to confirm a kill is if you read that the enemy won’t shield, or if you land a focus attack (which just doesn’t happen competitively).

Last edited:
Top Bottom