• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Footage of Roy and Ryu Found In Leak!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Any number of reasons, really. Also, nobody has ever said "you'll never get more characters". Despite having The Sword of Seals, Roy is not sealing off the roster. He was just extremely easy to implement.

Ridley is too big, he's already a stage mechanic. Who else could come from Metroid?

As for more Kirby reps (and other series), there's always hope. Just depends on how much they're requested, how relevant they are, and probably a hundred other factors that only Sakurai and his team knows.
If there's one thing, it confirms the whole "5-DLC-Slots" thing. That's only one more.

I agree, Ridley is too ****ty and too big. Dunno bout Metroid, was just using it as an example.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Well, kinda.

I mean, let's be honest: Ryu WILL attract Street Fighter fans and some of them are sure to be more serious fighting game players.

Sakurai basically just told us to go play Street Fighter, then he brings some Street Fighter to SSB.

Nothing against Ryu at all, either. Frankly, I like the idea of getting SF players interested in SSB4. I just don't understand Sakurai's logic one bit, here...

Or maybe this is foreshadowing the announcement that Nintendo is buying Capcom (which would be a strategically sound move) or maybe that SF4 is coming out on WiiU?
Unfortunately, that's extremely unlikely, considering the fact that Street Fighter 5 is going to by a Playstation 4 exclusive.

Ryu's inclusion goes both ways. He can attract SF fans to SSB, and he can cause SSB players to be interested in SF. The prospect of Street Fighter getting more mainstream attention is a very good thing. More people should be playing and caring about Street Fighter, it's a damn good series.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
>Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario
smash players: ok
>Fox, Falco, Wolf
smash players: ok
>Marth, Roy, Lucina
smash players: nO ABSOLUTELY NOT too many MARTHS I demand REFUND BOYCOTT SAKURAI
You forgot pit and dark pit. When I first heard about those two characters, I thought dark pit was just a coustume for pit

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Unfortunately, that's extremely unlikely, considering the fact that Street Fighter 5 is going to by a Playstation 4 exclusive.

Ryu's inclusion goes both ways. He can attract SF fans to SSB, and he can cause SSB players to be interested in SF. The prospect of Street Fighter getting more mainstream attention is a very good thing. More people should be playing and caring about Street Fighter, it's a damn good series.
Oh definitely, and we've seen plenty of players who play MANY fighting games competitively, not just SSB.

It just feels like Ryu's inclusion should herald something. I mean, they're just wasting advertising potential otherwise.

Like how Snake's inclusion in Brawl should've come with the announcement that they were rereleasing MGS: Twin Snakes (from the GC) on the Wii. Would've given the game some of the spotlight that it deserved, really.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I don't give a **** about either of them, to be honest. Roy is just another Marth clone with fire (and I don't even play Marth) and Ryu is just a fist fighter that can fire a ball of energy. Neither of them are appealing to me.

But people like them so I don't disagree with their appearances. However I'm hoping future DLC will have some more creative characters worth spending money on. Not holding my breath for it though.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
If there's one thing, it confirms the whole "5-DLC-Slots" thing. That's only one more.

I agree, Ridley is too ****ty and too big. Dunno bout Metroid, was just using it as an example.
Fair point. I'm just hoping that the five slots were like an initial thing, meaning that they already had five initial characters already planned out for release. Maybe in a few months they add five more slots, who knows?
But you still have to face him in Glory mode by those who do.
So? Same thing happened with Mewtwo, will happen with Lucas and Ryu.

Also FG mode is butts.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Fair point. I'm just hoping that the five slots were like an initial thing, meaning that they already had five initial characters already planned out for release. Maybe in a few months they add five more slots, who knows?

So? Same thing happened with Mewtwo, will happen with Lucas and Ryu.

Also FG mode is butts.
It would be nice. I feel Roy is kinda redundant, especially IF there are truly limited DLC spots. Despite my objections to Ryu, he's actually bringing something new to the table.

Between this and the 100th episode of MLP, this day has been just perfect.... in a GOOD way.

Last edited:

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
You forgot pit and dark pit. When I first heard about those two characters, I thought dark pit was just a coustume for pit
Technically he was in Brawl lol. Dark Pit is a waste to me, there is no way anyone can justify him and simultaneously hate on Roy. It's hypocritical.

If we're gonna include characters with only one clone, how come people aren't this mad about Lucas, eh?

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
Wow definitely going to be using Roy. Hope he's different enough from Marth and Lucina though. 3 clones would not be the best.

Chazman2000

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4940-6816-9641
To be honest, i didn't want Ryu in smash, i didn't think he would fit, and he`s already in a fighting game... But i guess i can live with him in Smash. But Roy... OH MY GOD YES! I CAN FINALLY PLAY AS ROY! I never played Melee, which i really want to, but still, YES ROY!

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Okay, cool... Please give us Inkling now though... Please? Honestly I'm a bit salty with Roy returning, We already have too many swordfighters ATM and it's making me more worried we won't get a character representing Nintendo's newest IP.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Roy.

They thought we needed three Marths, and 5 reps from a relatively obscure c-list franchise.

I really don't have the energy to be upset anymore, but at least we get ****ING RYU!

RYU!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Technically he was in Brawl lol. Dark Pit is a waste to me, there is no way anyone can justify him and simultaneously hate on Roy. It's hypocritical.

If we're gonna include characters with only one clone, how come people aren't this mad about Lucas, eh?
People like myself are annoyed by Roy because a more niche series like Fire Emblem has 5 reps?

I mean, I love Robin and he was my most wanted initially...I just didn't want Roy at all. Looking at Mewtwo, safe bet to say Roy won't receive much changes.

Buuuuut....at least anything's better than Dark Pit, I suppose.

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe
I hope they release them mater cuz I only have enough money for one and I DONT WANT TO MAKE A CHOICE.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
To be honest, i didn't want Ryu in smash, i didn't think he would fit, and he`s already in a fighting game... But i guess i can live with him in Smash. But Roy... OH MY GOD YES! I CAN FINALLY PLAY AS ROY! I never played Melee, which i really want to, but still, YES ROY!
yeah we really need another boring ass semi-clone swordsman from a series of games that's already got enough representation

****en fanboys

Heractodactyl

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterBro10
3DS FC
0490-7932-7933
Just woke up and holy crap, based Ryu and Roy. Not really excited for Roy but freakin RYU. HOLY CRAP YES. AND THEY'RE IN A CHARACTER PACK WITH LUCAS YES. Just a shame that this was leak, as it would've been so hype to see live!

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Boy, this means that I was right about characters getting into the game from the same company. If we have Ryu AND Mega Man in this game, who the heck is to say we can't have Leon S. Kennedy or Chris Redfield in this? Or maybe even Sophitia, Talim or Jin, maybe even Knuckles or Tails.

But if you refer to the recent Soul Calibur popularity poll, Namco announced they had something special planned. Do you think this could mean Namco might introduce Talim?

The flood gates are even more open than ever, everyone.
You just cannot say that "X character" can't get in anymore for "X reason". No, as we've seen from Ryu and Mega Man, characters from the same COMPANY can get in, but NOT the same franchise.

Guys, seriously, I think we need to reconsider the reasons as to why characters can't get in the game and why they can.
OMFG RIP Super Smash Bros.
1999 - 2015

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
...Dammit. I just want Wolf
Why when he's already a pallette swap for Fox?

lol jk but that's what people say to me when I want Princess Daisy! Captain Falcon + Peach= Duck Yes!

Pallette swaps and characters are not the same, are they?

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Okay so. This is obviously cool because it opens the door for more 3rd party characters. However, in a game light on representation for female characters and severely underrepresented for some key Nintendo franchises, how is Roy being added in lieu of Shantae, Dixie, Ridley, Krystal or even Lyn or Hector? FE is great but wouldn't everyone like to see another Pikmin, WarioWare, Metroid, Yoshi, Star Fox, F-zero or animal crossing character ?

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
More images:

HOLY THING!

VIRTUA FIGHTER AND TEKKEN COSTUMES
The Street Fighter logo
What's Ryu's Final Smash? I don't play Street Fighter.
I don't know so much of the Fire Emblem franchise, but let's not act like this franchise it's not a All-Star franchise. Just because it wasn't released on the West until the 7th game, it doesn't mean this franchise is not big. Despite being relatively obscure, it has games since the 8-bits days (16-bit if you see that Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi for Famicom was released in the same year as the Super Famicom console, 1990), and Marth himself was one of the most voted characters in a poll Sakurai made for Melee back then; It may be seen as obscure by us, but we've got to analise the series is actually big in Japan. Sakurai already saw our wishes, let him care about his own country fanbase.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

They've actually found arrows associated with the character select screen that allows it to move left and right.

There's nothing stopping them from releasing a whole second roster...and then another...

Look at it this way: SSB4 is less than a year old and we're already at 4 of 5 for DLC? Given how much money they make off of DLC characters, I can't imagine 5 would be the limit...

Last edited:

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Why when he's already a pallette swap for Fox?

lol jk but that's what people say to me when I want Princess Daisy! Captain Falcon + Peach= Duck Yes!

Pallette swaps and characters are not the same, are they?
And Mario has a Wario pallette yet the latter himself has been in two games now and with his original overalls too. Don't see the problem there honestly with Wolf being in despite Fox's pallette based on him.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
man looks like im going to play smash 4 competively and not give up on the community that is if roy has d tilt combos

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
Theses characters are alright but they have both been in either a Smash Bros game or another fighting game, here's to hoping there will be more characters released soon since Lucas has taken A LOT longer than I initially thought.

My personal choice for a guest character is another Capcom one who has only seen fighting game appearances in Power Fighters and Power Battle

I am also still a big supporter of Waluigi getting a shot at Smash Bros but since he is already an assist trophy the chances are close to none

EtherOracle

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2637-9848-4273
Despite my objections to Ryu, he's actually bringing something new to the table.
Out of curiosity. What is Ryu going to be able to bring to Smash what Little Mac already hasn't? And please don't say it's because Little Mac is a Boxer and Ryu is a Martial Arts fighter.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace

Because Dark Pit is a likable character with personality.
Roy is an a$$hole and a little sh*t. He is the worst lord in the FE series.

Also

>Lucas
>clone

LOL.

Last edited:

SmashProNova

Smash Rookie
NNID
LightDashSpdster
Late last night, the latest patch for Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS was accidentally released early in Japan. It was promptly taken down - but not before hackers and dataminers analyzed the new patch, and found footage of two new characters, Ryu and Roy! Both videos are short, as the footage found was of each character's Classic Mode victory short. Take a look!

Ryu's Victory Theme

Roy's Victory Theme
What remains to be seen is whether these two characters will be available come tomorrow when Lucas is released, or if they will still not be available until a later date. Either way, it's exciting to see these two new characters in action!

What do you think about this? Are you sad that the surprise has been ruined? Or just excited to see footage of new characters? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit doesn't like leaks, but given there was already evidence of this leak in the past, it's not as bad as it usually is. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
so yeah i know this my twitter page busted this morning and my ****

Top Bottom