• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Firefox Texture can't be found in DAT Texture Wizard

Bftws

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to make a whitish/blue firefox and have everything done except for the exhaust flames. Lanceinthepants's post is super helpful https://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/#post-13636075 but he notes that the original firefox exhaust textures need to be found in order to truly edit the firefox. So the problem is I've manually looked through literally every single .dat and .usd file using DAT Texture Wizard and can't find the freaking file. I've also gone through and blanked out every single texture just to make sure I didn't miss it and the firefox trails are still there even when everything else is blacked out. I dumped the textures in dolphin and I know what the textures look like, I'll attach them here. So I know they exist somewhere, tried converting them to .tpl and used texture finder on every .dat file but couldn't find it.

I've done a good bit of research, have spent probably 12 hours on this in the past day lol, but I can't find the damn textures. Is it possible that DAT Texture Wizard won't show every texture in the game for some reason? And is there any way at all to find textures?

I'm sure there is a specific thread to post this but maybe this will help someone else if this gets answered.

Here are example of two textures I need to edit from the texture dump, theyre both _9 textures. The file names are GALE01_959c76a4_9 and GALE01_5448735a_9

Edit: I am able to edit the textures and add them in dolphin using the custom texture feature but I would definitely want to be able to have this edit on my wii.

I'm not sure if the file names would help finding the correct .dat file or hex spot but here are the names of the files I had to change:
tex1_32x32_1be19690f00b5221_67703261de6b2f40_9
tex1_32x32_7b69c4fce5ab57c0_20d3e2d44892bc10_9
tex1_32x32_26888a06ed786c0c_3eccd29af3b7b575_9
tex1_32x32_a18fa54772fd0980_b64025cffbb7fb29_9
tex1_32x32_b9feb085248b78d0_d549cd19d3aa720a_9
tex1_32x32_c38e5ffa59e3d976_4512eff09127a62a_9
tex1_32x32_f024c650a86af114_16d5cef049104b09_9

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Some textures are referenced in different ways than the rest, which is why there are still some that DTW doesn't find. Special functions need to be written for these fringe cases. I suspect that the fire textures are in EfCoData.dat, which you can read a little about in my old thread, Texture Hacking Effects.

Unfortunately, Dolphin doesn't preserve palettes when it dumps textures (although I haven't tested to see if newer versions have changed this). So that makes it difficult to locate paletted textures (_8, _9, _a). But you may still be able to find some by following file offsets and/or looking for patterns in the data, such as groups of identically sized blocks of data. If you dig into that file and start finding offsets or how that file is structured, please post in that other thread (to keep the info all together). And feel free to edit the document in the OP. If other effects files are structured similarly, then there may be hidden textures in them too, so these fire effects might also be in EfFxData.dat (Fox & Falco's effects file), but I suspect EfCo because I think there might be other things in the game that use those same small fire textures.

Bftws

Smash Rookie
I'm leaning towards the textures being in the EfFxData.dat file because dolphin is loading my custom textures for the firefox and I tried out all of the other characters and a few random things (such as items) to find any other instances of the texture being changed and I couldn't. That said, I would not know what to do with offsets or how to check if anything I found was even an image reference so I don't think I will be much use in that regards. I did start trying to to process the dat format thread https://smashboards.com/threads/melee-dat-format.292603/ but this might be over my head.

Top Bottom