• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (including leak discussion)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the upcoming 16th entry in the series, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2019. Not much info is known about the game yet, but feel free to speculate and digest info to your heart's content in this thread.

To get us started:
Do you expect to see any news on the game in the Direct tomorrow? Maybe we'll finally get some proper gameplay footage, or even a release date.

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I'm not sure if we'll get more news on the game just yet, but I hope to see more news on the game as soon as possible.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
*Insert one long, excited fangirlish squeal here*

Ahem...Anyhow, I'll take any news we can get. Although, I do have to admit hearing more about Byleth, the "teacher" would be awesome. He reminds me a lot of the Persona protagonists and their games. I hope, to be honest, that the FE supports take a lesson from Persona's social links. Considering Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE exists, that proves that IS and Atlus can work together. Whose to say FE3H isn't another instance of their partnership? That's just a theory of course.

At any rate, I'm really hyped for this game. Guess it's time to watch the trailer we got a million times again. :p

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm really hoping we get news in the Direct tomorrow. Maybe a gameplay trailer focusing on some of its unique quirks.

Also hoping we get VA confirmations for Dimitri and Claude.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm just ****ing glad you can actually explore in this game. The My Castle stuff and dungeons in Fates and Gaiden respectively didn't really do it for me but it looks like you can actually, finally explore your kingdom in Three Houses.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Boy, it's gonna feel really weird pulling off all these flashy anime moves when you've got a squad just casually watching as you do it.

D

Deleted member

Boy, it's gonna feel really weird pulling off all these flashy anime moves when you've got a squad just casually watching as you do it.
Nah, it just makes it more realistic
"Bruh did the captain just do a 720° flip on the air and then cut that enemy in half?"
"****ing show off man"

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Game has only one trailer... Already love the music. (Blame the amazing covers really)
Let's just hope the theme isn't overused like Lost in Thoughts.
So far I don't really like byleth's default look or outfit. The sleeves on the outer coat not being worn is kind of weird imo. Eh, if he's the avatar like everyone is thinking hopefully at least I can change the weird hairstyle.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Honestly, I am not really interested in Three Houses...yet. That one trailer from E3 didn't really show enough to get me excited for the game and the protagonists don't look appealing to me either. I dislike the 3D models and already miss my sprites. Right now I am actually more curious what Anna's design will look like in this game and if she is a playable unit, what weapon she will use this time.

I don't really want to rag on the game but hopefully my opinion changes the next time they talk about it which probably won't be until January I'm guessing.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm a bit... concerned. The game has a Spring 2019 release date for the title, yet there's not much footage to go off of. Hopefully we get a Nintendo Direct soon that showcases some more footage. But from what we have so far, the game looks rather nice. I'm glad they moved on to the Switch, there's so much potential they could unlock with it! I wouldn't mind having some sort of free roam in the game—and some more interactions with the characters to build up Support levels would be nice too! That'd really make the Fire Emblem world come alive.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm expecting more news on Three Houses in a late January/early February Direct honestly. Probably will be indepth spotlight on the game as well as an actual release date for the game.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
inb4 the same thing happens as with the last time they announced a game too early (SMT x FE), and it ends up being rebooted as some J-pop idol nonsense by the next time we see it

But yeah. January or February is the earliest point where I expect to see any news of it now. I'd almost bet money that they're aiming to release it on the 20th of April again.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Agreed that January/February is a better time for them to talk about Three Houses. Trying to talk about it any earlier would most likely have any news drowned out by Pokémon Lets Go and especially Smash Ultimate which are the only two games Nintendo cares about this year. After Smash Ultimate releases the hype for it will start to slowly go down and Nintendo can start talking about games releasing in 2019 with more focus on Three Houses because I believe it will be the first big Nintendo title for 2019 since I think it is the only big name game coming out for Switch in spring unless I am forgetting another game.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So I'm curious, what are some elements from past games that you would like to see return in TH? Do people want breakable weapons again? Child units? Limited support options? Face petting?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
So I'm curious, what are some elements from past games that you would like to see return in TH? Do people want breakable weapons again? Child units? Limited support options? Face petting?
I want canto to return for Mounted units. I love the mechanic, it really makes them feel versatile.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I want canto to return for Mounted units. I love the mechanic, it really makes them feel versatile.
100% agreed, I just started playing Into the Breach and one of the pilot skills allows a canto for your mech and I realized how much I miss it from Fire Emblem.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Limited support options and child units done right.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A plot that doesn't make me question whether I was ever actually a fan of this shlock.

D

Deleted member

Child units are gonna be bad if they're not implemented into the plot which Fates did not. I personally don't care for them and I'd rather have more standard units.
Like, a big problem I had with Fates's cast is that most units come from the same two backgrounds and have the same reasons for joining, the majn cast is basically just composed of royals, retainers and children.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Child units are gonna be bad if they're not implemented into the plot which Fates did not. I personally don't care for them and I'd rather have more standard units.
Like, a big problem I had with Fates's cast is that most units come from the same two backgrounds and have the same reasons for joining, the majn cast is basically just composed of royals, retainers and children.
Yeah in my ideal game the "child" mechanic would be done with a trainer/trainee type thing or over an actual time gap.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Well, if the trailer is anything to go by, we're getting breakable weapons back whether we like it or not. I don't mind it, but I'd also have liked if they took the idea of Fates' weapon effects and developed that further. Maybe another time.

Don't want child units unless they serve a purpose in the story, which is hard to do without retreading old ground (time skip from FE4, or time travel from Awakening). I'm not against the concept, but I think they've done enough with them for now, so I'd prefer if they do something original instead.

I'd also bin the idea that S-supports equal marriage, and everyone supporting with everyone else. It's more fun when you can have some relationships left a bit more open-ended in the ending, or let a male and female character just, you know, be friends, instead of always having to end in romance.

I wouldn't mind a skill system similar to Heroes', where skills are grouped into categories, and you can only have one from each category. Or bring back skill capacity from FE9/10. Basically I want something that makes choosing skills more meaningful again. Not like Awakening/Fates which gives junk like Res +2 the same value as Galeforce; it's rare for anyone to have more than 5 optimal skill choices, so you get to run all of the powerful stuff without ever needing to think about leaving anything behind.

Also bringing back some of the unique mechanics from Radiant Dawn that made use of 3D space, like height advantage, would be cool. I was disappointed in the 3DS games lacking that.

also bring back Forrest, if this game is going to have another Odin/Laslow/Selena-type returning character he deserves it more than anyone

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
I'm hoping avatar creation returns and is expanded on such as more appearance options, choosing your starting class, etc. Also, I wouldn't mind if they deviated from giving Avatar established personalities like they did with Robin and Corrin and not have them play a major role in the main plot just so the story isn't harmed by player pandering (looking at you Fates). I wouldn't mind being just another nameless soldier in Edelgard's, Claude's and Dimitri's eyes though from what little of the game we have seen so far it seems Byleth is very likely going to be our 'Avatar' character.

Also I would like to see class changing return via second seals and whatnot. I like being able to change a unit's class if the base class they are in doesn't suit their base stats or growth rates. Also it adds to giving the game more replay value.

Finally, full voice acting like Shadow of Valentia and Warriors had would be nice.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Dismounting. :p

I'm only half kidding, I think dismounting is an interesting mechanic that was never explored fully. I think it could be brought back as part of a system where you had alternating teams that you used for different maps in the story. Maybe also make it so mounted units use the same weapons mounted and dismounted, just with separate ranks.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
It still exists.

Can't wait to vomit.

"Half of the soundtrack is composed by Fall Out Boy"

Was this a fever dream?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
We should do a prediction "thread" like they are doing in RTC, only just for what we will learn about Three Houses.
  • see female Byleth
  • get more insight into the story, specifically who the three houses are and tease the big bad
  • gameplay videos showing more units as well as at least one new unit
anything else I'm missing?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The bad guy will be an ancient primordial dragon using humans as pawns to destroy and/or enslave humanity.

Also a boat map.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think the only specific thing I want is dungeon gameplay in some fashion since that was one of my favourite aspects of SoV. I know there is a hub world you can explore at least, but adding dungeons too would be slick.

Other than that, I'm just waiting to hear this game's "hook". I haven't been following it too closely because unlike Fates and SoV, they didn't really show anything too standout to me when they revealed it, it just looks like "the next Fire Emblem" to me right now. Some differences in gameplay like the Formation stuff but those on their own won't make the game stand out to me compared to other games in the series. So I'm just waiting for something to really catch my attention. I'll get it regardless but how soon depends on what I see.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I predict there will be 2 units of the same class who have a green color palette and a red color palette, with personalities and stats somewhat opposite of each other.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want them to explain the formation system and what other changes are they doing to the battle system. Also, boat maps.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I want "this game will be released after this presentation"

It's been so long that at this point, I'll take just about anything. If I'm expecting to see anything in particular, I imagine they'll give some more information on whatever the unique mechanics of this game are, like formations and what looks like town/building exploration. I guess also some plot details. Maybe we'll actually find out why the crests are to blame. I dunno what the Japanese trailer called them but I'm almost certain the "crests" are just an alternate translation of "Emblem", as in "Fire Emblem"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Maybe we'll actually find out why the crests are to blame. I dunno what the Japanese trailer called them but I'm almost certain the "crests" are just an alternate translation of "Emblem", as in "Fire Emblem"
No wonder everyone blames Fire Emblem when their favourite doesn't get into Smash. It's what IS has been telling us to do this whole time.

EDIT: I feel like I barely learned anything new from that Direct. Still 100% neutral on it right now and need to see more.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Tbh most of the character designs are kinda bland. I guess it's a result of the fact that these characters could become pretty much any class, so it could be a symptom of needing characters to fit in to any class. Maybe later on we'll see characters with a more defined role and less generic look.

I'd have to look at a listing of all the characters to give my opinion, but I do recall at least one girl who looked completely out of place in the game. Can't remember her name tho.

I also wonder how which house you choose will play into the later story. Obviously all the lords will join up together at some point, but what about the supporting casts for each? do characters get a pre-determined "fixed" class if you don't pick one for them? Will be interesting to see.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Tbh most of the character designs are kinda bland. I guess it's a result of the fact that these characters could become pretty much any class, so it could be a symptom of needing characters to fit in to any class. Maybe later on we'll see characters with a more defined role and less generic look.

I'd have to look at a listing of all the characters to give my opinion, but I do recall at least one girl who looked completely out of place in the game. Can't remember her name tho.

I also wonder how which house you choose will play into the later story. Obviously all the lords will join up together at some point, but what about the supporting casts for each? do characters get a pre-determined "fixed" class if you don't pick one for them? Will be interesting to see.
I'm guessing that one girl you're talking about is the one with the hat? She seemed pretty off, breaking my immersion from the medieval world. I guess this FE looks more renaissance but it still looks out of place. Same thing with Female Byleth: the midriff, short shorts, and holey/ripped leggings just don't seem practical at all for combat or old-time European aesthetics.

I saw that when Edelgard promoted there was an "Intermediate class" description, so I think unique designs will come with multiple class tiers. It's a shame all of the base forms are the same with the standard school uniforms.

D

Deleted member

The aesthetic clearly has taken a leap from medieval europe which is a breath of fresh air imo. I mean, we should have taken clues considering how out of place Edelgard's design already was.
My only concern is that the entire cast is composed of students from noble families because 85% of the Fates cast being either a Royal, a retainer or a child was one of my main issues with it as it allowed for very little diversity in character backstory and motivation for joining.
They seem to be really focusing on the academy which makes me question how the hell are they gonna thrown in a continental quest and a war with it as the main mechanic and premise.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm guessing that one girl you're talking about is the one with the hat?
Yep her. Dorothea is her name, apparently. TBH she ook slike someone out of an RPG with a "modern" setting like Persona or something, completely out of place here.

Here's all the named characters, btw:

Top Bottom