• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem Character General Support Thread [WIP]

What is the best Fire Emblem game for someone new to the series?

• Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden/Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem/Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

• Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade)

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

• Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

• Fire Emblem Awakening

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Fire Emblem Fates

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem Heroes

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Glad you like the idea, but this is the part where I ask the rest of you to fill in the blanks and the like. I like FE, but I started with Awakening. So I'm still playing catch up in regards to the rest of the series. I do own others like Fates, Echoes, Sacred Stones and Blazing, but I've yet to complete any of them.
I recommend Blazing as a start as it's extremely archetypal of the typical FE gameplay, and even has a miniature campaign in the form of Lyn mode.

That or Shadow Dragon, but unfortunately a lot of people aint a fan.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Finding female characters who default to axes was actually really hard, but I settled on this for the female, middle weight, mid-range axe idea;

Default: Shadow Dragon - Minerva
Alt 1: Heroes - Anna
Alt 2: The Binding Blade - Ekhidna
Alt 3: Path of Radiance/Dawn - Titania
Alt 4: Path of Radiance/Dawn - Jill
Alt 5: Awakening - Cherche
Alt 6: Fates - Camilla
Alt 7: Three Houses - Edelgard

Male, heavyweight, short axe units should be easier given the bigger pool from Fighters/Warriors and whatnot, but I don't know who are popular/notable ones in the community outside of Hector.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Crazy idea time. Make every FE character Bowser Jr. Not literally, but with the Koopalings I mean...
I had an idea similar to this, back when I was conceiving some hypothetical roster. With the complaints about all the "Marth clones", I was thinking that, instead of just having slightly similar semiclones for different sword lords, why not appease a bunch of Fire Emblem fans at once? With the majority of the sword-wielding lords, you could place a majority of them into a single character slot as mere alternates (e.g., for Marth, you'd have Alm, Seliph, Leif, Roy, Eirika, Lucina, etc.). They'd differ in voice and appearance, maybe some animations, but not enough to even be classified as an echo fighter. The problem would arise with characters like Ike, who are popular protagonists with the same weapon yet a different style that wouldn't work in the context, just like you said.

Of course, this would sacirifice a character like Roy's uniqueness, but IMO I don't think they needed to craft this whole new moveset for him, especially when there's only a few sparse references to his character in Binding Blade. With these alternates all being one character, it'd be a good opportunity to introduce some techniques that other characters could perform as moves to make this character broad in references rather than just being character-specific (an example: Eirika's attack animation from the Sacred Stones could make for a cool new Side Special).

If an axe/lance-wielding character was developed and they got the same treatment, that'd be pretty cool. Anything for Hector.

Last edited:

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
I had an idea similar to this, back when I was conceiving some hypothetical roster. With the complaints about all the "Marth clones", I was thinking that, instead of just having slightly similar semiclones for different sword lords, why not appease a bunch of Fire Emblem fans at once? With the majority of the sword-wielding lords, you could place a majority of them into a single character slot as mere alternates (e.g., for Marth, you'd have Alm, Seliph, Leif, Roy, Eirika, Lucina, etc.). They'd differ in voice and appearance, maybe some animations, but not enough to even be classified as an echo fighter. The problem would arise with characters like Ike, who are popular protagonists with the same weapon yet a different style that wouldn't work in the context, just like you said.

Of course, this would sacirifice a character like Roy's uniqueness, but IMO I don't think they needed to craft this whole new moveset for him, especially when there's only a few sparse references to his character in Binding Blade. With these alternates all being one character, it'd be a good opportunity to introduce some techniques that other characters could perform as moves to make this character broad in references rather than just being character-specific (an example: Eirika's attack animation from the Sacred Stones could make for a cool new Side Special).

If an axe/lance-wielding character was developed and they got the same treatment, that'd be pretty cool. Anything for Hector.
Ya I feel like skins are treated like a horrible thing when in reality they let similar fighters have more representation also anything for hector

Stario

Smash Rookie

I like the idea of having multiple characters under one, personally. My only issue is that a bunch of lords/other wanted characters have something unique about them, and having them all as one would likely reduce the charm of each character. Like, obviously you can have Roy and Marth as one, but that would take away a lot of the unique aspects of Roy.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I like the idea of having multiple characters under one, personally. My only issue is that a bunch of lords/other wanted characters have something unique about them, and having them all as one would likely reduce the charm of each character. Like, obviously you can have Roy and Marth as one, but that would take away a lot of the unique aspects of Roy.
Ideally, what I had in mind was to just use that method where it works best, but not for everyone. If they ever did do something like that, I'd prefer that veterans that are already their own characters stay that way while multiple units being grouped as one character only applying to newcomers who could feasibly have the same fighting style/abilities.

I wouldn't want them to make Fjorm an alt of Caeda for example just because she has a lance. However fellow Pegasus Knights like Est, Catria and Palla I think would work fine as the 4 could technically be interchangeable in terms of utility and have similar if not the same abilities.

It wouldn't work as a template for FE characters in general, but an option on a case by case basis when multiple characters could fit the same role without feeling forced.

Last edited:

Stario

Smash Rookie
Ideally, what I had in mind was to just use that method where it works best, but not for everyone. If they ever did do something like that, I'd prefer that veterans that are already they're own characters stay that way while multiple units being grouped as one character only applying to newcomers who could feasibly have the same fighting style/abilities.

I wouldn't want them to make Fjorm an alt of Caeda for example just because she has a lance. However fellow Pegasus Knights like Est, Catria and Palla I think would work fine as the 4 could technically be interchangeable in terms of utility and have similar if not the same abilities.

It wouldn't work as a template for FE characters in general, but an option on a case by case basis when multiple characters could fit the same role without feeling forced.
I agree with this. Keeping it so only characters that are very similar would work.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
Not too long ago I had a character concept in mind and I decided to talk about it today. Hope you enjoy.

So you know how people talk about a three houses rep and who it’s going to be? How about yes.

The concept, a three houses character that incorporates all three main lords, Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude pokemon trainer style, but with twist.

First of all visuals. During battle Byleth will be in the background, not playable, telling the lords what to do. He will only be active during the final smash and in the victory animations alongside the last lord on the field.
The alternate costumes are gonna be split into two sets, four pre time skip alts, four post time skip alts. These are split further into two sets of alts for Byleth, two male, two female.

In terms of the lords themselves, they won’t have anything special to them. There statlines are gonna be balanced and there all gonna be similar. The only unique thing about them is there weapons (axe, lance and bow).

What is unique about them is how the switching works. Every lord is going to have there own percent gauge. So no matter when you switch, each character is going to keep the percent they where at the last time they where in battle. This is to introduce the main gimmick of the character, one of the series main feature, perma death.

It works exactly as it sounds, if on of your units dies, you can’t use them for the rest of the match. This is to force the player to make smart decisions about when you switch your units in, who to use to get a kill, to truly bring the strategy aspect of fire emblem into a smash setting. But what if there are more than three stocks? What if you are in a time battle? Then the characters come back and you can use them again, it’s that simple. This also brings in the concept of casual mode and classic mode into smash through pure coincidence.

So this is what I had in mind. This is definitely one of my favourite character concepts I made so far.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Not too long ago I had a character concept in mind and I decided to talk about it today. Hope you enjoy.

So you know how people talk about a three houses rep and who it’s going to be? How about yes.

The concept, a three houses character that incorporates all three main lords, Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude pokemon trainer style, but with twist.

First of all visuals. During battle Byleth will be in the background, not playable, telling the lords what to do. He will only be active during the final smash and in the victory animations alongside the last lord on the field.
The alternate costumes are gonna be split into two sets, four pre time skip alts, four post time skip alts. These are split further into two sets of alts for Byleth, two male, two female.

In terms of the lords themselves, they won’t have anything special to them. There statlines are gonna be balanced and there all gonna be similar. The only unique thing about them is there weapons (axe, lance and bow).

What is unique about them is how the switching works. Every lord is going to have there own percent gauge. So no matter when you switch, each character is going to keep the percent they where at the last time they where in battle. This is to introduce the main gimmick of the character, one of the series main feature, perma death.

It works exactly as it sounds, if on of your units dies, you can’t use them for the rest of the match. This is to force the player to make smart decisions about when you switch your units in, who to use to get a kill, to truly bring the strategy aspect of fire emblem into a smash setting. But what if there are more than three stocks? What if you are in a time battle? Then the characters come back and you can use them again, it’s that simple. This also brings in the concept of casual mode and classic mode into smash through pure coincidence.

So this is what I had in mind. This is definitely one of my favourite character concepts I made so far.
It's an interesting idea, but as you pointed out yourself, if you're playing anything other than 3 stocks then it kind of defeats the point of their gimmick. A :ultpokemontrainer:style FE rep would be really cool though.

Last edited:

Stario

Smash Rookie

This is really creative and good. 10/10

H-E-D

Smash Rookie
I'm a fan of the Byleth-as-Pokémon Trainer idea, but while I applaud the creativity, I think I'd just keep it simple. At most, I'd say the "permadeath" could work as a per-stock gimmick, but not a per-match one.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Here to express my support for the one and only Claude von Riegan. I only have like half a moveset concept for him but I'll post it when I finish it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd, that's the one we need in Smash. We all know it. He's also the most popular. And the Blue Lion route is easily the most fleshed out of all the routes, and he makes the most development as a character and would be most unique. Of course we need him.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
And the Blue Lion route is easily the most fleshed out of all the routes
Yesterday I finished my first Black Eagles file (Crimson Flower) and I was so disappointed how
It only had five (5) post-timeskip chapters whereas the other two houses had 8. It felt like they put so much effort into making Verdant Wind and Azure Moon as unique as possible but just cut Crimson Flower short.
Dimitri would definitely be interesting. I can imagine him having a tipper-based moveset with little recovery but serious damage output.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Yesterday I finished my first Black Eagles file (Crimson Flower) and I was so disappointed how
It only had five (5) post-timeskip chapters whereas the other two houses had 8. It felt like they put so much effort into making Verdant Wind and Azure Moon as unique as possible but just cut Crimson Flower short.
Dimitri would definitely be interesting. I can imagine him having a tipper-based moveset with little recovery but serious damage output.
Sorry if I sound rude, but you got it backwards. You'll get it when you play Silver Snow.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sorry if I sound rude, but you got it backwards. You'll get it when you play Silver Snow.
I hope. I never had enough time to
Master Edelgard's Emperor class
which left me feeling like I didn't truly beat the game. I understand that Silver Snow had a more fleshed out story but I still feel like they missed a great opportunity with Crimson Flower.

But it doesn't really matter, because at the end of the day....
Golden Deer best house.

Troykv

Smash Master
I hope. I never had enough time to
Master Edelgard's Emperor class
which left me feeling like I didn't truly beat the game. I understand that Silver Snow had a more fleshed out story but I still feel like they missed a great opportunity with Crimson Flower.

But it doesn't really matter, because at the end of the day....
Golden Deer best house.
Oh, I was talking about the thing you said about

the effort to make certain routes unique, there is a very good reason I mentioned Silver Snow under this context

There is a good reason why CF is actually shorter, thought a sad one.

Do you want to know it? Or not?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Oh, I was talking about the thing you said about

the effort to make certain routes unique, there is a very good reason I mentioned Silver Snow under this context

There is a good reason why CF is actually shorter, thought a sad one.

Do you want to know it? Or not?
You don't have to tell me, I can probably figure it out myself (If I don't already know and I just can't remember).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i think the fire emblem characters need an over haul and shouldnt get any more newcomers until some of them have been cut

that being said put down as a tiki supporter, younger version

and sakura

and claude

Troykv

Smash Master
Maybe they'll announce like a special heroes promo or something, stating that book three just finished up.
Maybe, Fire Emblem Heroes doesn't won't have any important updates until December (the next banner is going to be Brave Redux based on the fact is a New Heroes with a Tempest Trials, something that this year only Brave Redux has shared).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
can i check something? in byleth's video sakurai said there were 17 fire emblem games not counting remakes and spin offs, but then he counted both gaiden and echoes, isnt echoes a remake of gaiden?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
can i check something? in byleth's video sakurai said there were 17 fire emblem games not counting remakes and spin offs, but then he counted both gaiden and echoes, isnt echoes a remake of gaiden?
They're still separate games and thus considered separtely.

For example FE11 and FE12 are just remakes of FE1 and FE3 respectively.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
that feels like cheating
It's not really cheating at all. All three of the remakes make a lot of changes to the originals to stand on their own.

D

Deleted member

I hope they remake Roy's game.

He deserves some good buffs.

Top Bottom